PDA

View Full Version : Eastern European Football

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 9:10 AM
Romania had a great campaign, Bulgaria seem to be getting back to being a very strong side, Russia are through, Czech Republic won their group (but I'm still not sold on them) and Croatia were a revelation. Serbia did well enough too.

The latins have the artistry but these guys have the technique, the intelligence and the physical attributes that for me, make them the most interesting sides to watch.

Given the resurgence / emergence of thse sides isn't it sad to see Hungary, the team that took the game to a new level in the 50s, in such bad shape?

CollegeTillIDie
22/11/2007, 9:23 AM
The Hungarian domestic League is in serious trouble and the footballing infrastructure at grass roots level in Hungary no longer seems to produce the quality of player available in yesteryear. There seems to be no Florian Alberts, Tibor Nyialisis or Lajos Detaris coming through and Hungarian successful teams of the past all had at least one of these star type players. Clubs are struggling financially thanks in part to small attendances , some of whom are a bit bogey, thus putting off other supporters from attending.
They too get saturation TV coverage of Bundesliga, Serie A, LA Liga and ENGLISH Premier League and people have become lazy and have stopped going to games. But unlike Ireland, the domestic League gets very good coverage in local newspapers.

Lionel Ritchie
22/11/2007, 9:29 AM
Some of the Croatian passing last night was very impressive and, when added to a bewildering tendency of the English lads to just stand off, led to Croatia going through them like a punnet of plums.

It's very impressive football technically but not impossible to beat. Close them down early and make them make mistakes. Englands second goal started with a Croat fannying around and getting caught in possession. Even at 2-3 down Bent nearly equalised because of a quick ball over the top.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2007, 9:44 AM
But unlike Ireland, the domestic League gets very good coverage in local newspapers.
Do the locals support their hometown clubs?

Dodge
22/11/2007, 10:02 AM
I've always been a huge fan of Eastern European football. 3 of my favourite players of the last 15 years or so are Hagi, Stoichkov and Boban. Croatia in the 1998 world cup finals were a joy to watch.

Glad they're on the way back

Dodge
22/11/2007, 10:03 AM
Do the locals support their hometown clubs?
Nope, and the international team is terrible. Its a metaphor I tells you...

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 10:21 AM
I've always been a huge fan of Eastern European football. 3 of my favourite players of the last 15 years or so are Hagi, Stoichkov and Boban. Savesivic (spelling?) was my favourite. Superb in Milan's 94 CL triumph over Barcelona.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 10:26 AM
Does anyone notice that when some of these teams break, 2 of the breaking players hug the touchine?

It only struck me in the Celtic / Moscow match in Glasgow in September. I was wondering just why it was that Moscow looked so threatening on the counter. I think (just my theory) they do it as a deliberate tactic to stretch the defence and to maximise the possibility of playing the man in from the middle. Think about it. If you're carrying the ball forward centrally and you have two runers wide either side of you, almost any angled ball forward is a ball that can be run onto. The instinct around these parts is to pile forward through the middle.

Anyone with a technical interest care to comment?

Dodge
22/11/2007, 10:45 AM
Its also a way of stretching the midfield (and defence) giving the technical players more time/space in which to play in the centre and more space to run into in attack

The key to it is having players good enough to hold onto the ball, and make the correct pass.

John83
22/11/2007, 10:48 AM
Does anyone notice that when some of these teams break, 2 of the breaking players hug the touchine?

It only struck me in the Celtic / Moscow match in Glasgow in September. I was wondering just why it was that Moscow looked so threatening on the counter. I think (just my theory) they do it as a deliberate tactic to stretch the defence and to maximise the possibility of playing the man in from the middle. Think about it. If you're carrying the ball forward centrally and you have two runers wide either side of you, almost any angled ball forward is a ball that can be run onto. The instinct around these parts is to pile forward through the middle.

Anyone with a technical interest care to comment?
Valencia used play like that, back when Mendieta and Claudio Lopez were at their peak. Very effective, yes.

superfrank
22/11/2007, 1:12 PM
Romania had a great campaign, Bulgaria seem to be getting back to being a very strong side, Russia are through, Czech Republic won their group (but I'm still not sold on them) and Croatia were a revelation. Serbia did well enough too.
Poland won their group as well, finishing ahead of Portugal.

There seems to be no Florian Alberts, Tibor Nyialisis or Lajos Detaris coming through and Hungarian successful teams of the past all had at least one of these star type players.
What ever happened to Zoltan Gera? He always struck as a talented player and I know he was Hungary captain at one stage.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 1:31 PM
Not to mention Zolt Torok and Zoltan Istvan :)

TheBoss
22/11/2007, 1:41 PM
Szabolcs Huszti, very good technical player, great passer of the ball, capable of scoring the odd goal.

Pál Dárdai, a very solid midfielder, pretty good defensive midfielder, always does a good job, has a rocket of a shot like most defensive midfielders.

They are probably their best players, but they do not have enough players that quality, Liverpool recently bought 2 youngsters, Krisztián Németh and András Simon

pineapple stu
22/11/2007, 1:42 PM
Not to mention Zolt Torok and Zoltan Istvan :)
Quality players. Up there with Litmanen, Best and Weah as the best players never to play in the World Cup.

Sandor Maroti could have been great too...

superfrank
22/11/2007, 1:43 PM
Szabolcs Huszti, very good technical player, great passer of the ball, capable of scoring the odd goal.

Pál Dárdai, a very solid midfielder, pretty good defensive midfielder, always does a good job, has a rocket of a shot like most defensive midfielders.
I've seen glimpses of Huszti for Hannover and he seems fairly decent.

Is Dadai still at Hertha Berlin?

TheBoss
22/11/2007, 1:48 PM
Yes, he is.

superfrank
22/11/2007, 1:51 PM
I thought him and Marcelinho were a great midfield pairing.

TheBoss
22/11/2007, 1:53 PM
Pity the rest of the team did not contribute as much as them 2 did.

DaveyCakes
22/11/2007, 2:52 PM
I've seen glimpses of Huszti for Hannover and he seems fairly decent.

Is Dadai still at Hertha Berlin?

Huszti's been in very god form lately.

TheBoss
22/11/2007, 4:01 PM
Huszti's been in very god form lately.

I wouldn't say that he's been that impressive. :D

CollegeTillIDie
22/11/2007, 4:12 PM
Sandor Maroti could have been great too...

He could have been a contender he could have had class instead of the bum he ended up..... We never saw him play a competitive game so he must have been a bum :D

Thunderblaster
22/11/2007, 9:45 PM
Some of the Eastern European makeweights have thrown up some fine players.

Albania-Igil Tare

Bosnia-Hasan Salihamadzic

Macedonia-Goran Pandev

Georgia-Kakha Kaladze

Belarus-Alexandr Hleb

Estonia-Mart Poom

Latvia-Marian Pahars

Lithuania-Edgaris Jankauskas

TheBoss
22/11/2007, 11:15 PM
I think that those sides have offered some more decent players than that in fairness.

superfrank
23/11/2007, 11:13 AM
I can think of at least one for every country except Macedonia.

Ceirtlis
23/11/2007, 12:41 PM

Albania-Igil Tare

Macedonia-Goran Pandev

Georgia-Kakha Kaladze

Belarus-Alexandr Hleb

Estonia-Mart Poom

Latvia-Marian Pahars

I wouldnt be too keen on some of them players myself especially Jankauskas. On a side note they were selling Ferencvaros jerseys in Michael Guineys in Waterford a couple of weeks ago but they didnt have my size. Anyone know where the michael guineys is in Dublin:D. I have a vague memory of seeing it on the way to Busaras one day.

Schumi
23/11/2007, 12:47 PM
they were selling Ferencvaros jerseys in Michael Guineys in Waterford a couple of weeks ago but they didnt have my size. Anyone know where the michael guineys is in Dublin:D. It's on one of the streets off O'Connell St, Earl St I think. I don't remember seeing football jerseys there though.

Poor Student
23/11/2007, 12:50 PM

Albania-Igil Tare

Macedonia-Goran Pandev

Georgia-Kakha Kaladze

Belarus-Alexandr Hleb

Estonia-Mart Poom

Latvia-Marian Pahars

You can add Zlatko Zahovic from Slovenia.

Stuttgart88
23/11/2007, 1:39 PM
Guineys is bottom of Talbot Street, no?

Dodge
23/11/2007, 1:55 PM
Guineys is bottom of Talbot Street, no?
Well not usre if its considered the bottom but its on Talbot street