PDA

View Full Version : English booing the national anthems

Pages : [1] 2

jebus
21/11/2007, 6:56 PM
Does any other country do this? They've gone quiet now but as soon as the Croat anthem started they started booing, and have just booed the end of it too. I remember Motson getting the hump about the Germans booing God Save the Queen in response to the English booing their anthem a few years back. Real eye opener to how blind some English are to the faults of their fellow countrymen

Superhoops
21/11/2007, 7:12 PM
I could clearly here them booing the Croatian anthem and I think Motson then says they '..respected it.. and the mgt team would be pleased they did..' or words to that effect.

Does he not think listeners could here that??

Boo Boys silenced in the most emphatic fashion!!! :D

see's it
21/11/2007, 7:29 PM
2 nil down and darren bent is warming up ha ha

Metrostars
21/11/2007, 7:33 PM
This is what you get for booing the other team's anthem:

http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=1547759

Quite the comedy act

shakermaker1982
21/11/2007, 9:13 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard it. For a minute there I thought I was imagining it because Motto comes out with the "well respected there??!!" Why the **** would you boo another countries national anthem?

rambler14
21/11/2007, 9:20 PM
Does any other country do this? They've gone quiet now but as soon as the Croat anthem started they started booing, and have just booed the end of it too. I remember Motson getting the hump about the Germans booing God Save the Queen in response to the English booing their anthem a few years back. Real eye opener to how blind some English are to the faults of their fellow countrymen

John Motson is past it he should retire because as the games go on he makes more mistakes.

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2007, 9:23 PM
When Yugoslavia was reduced to Serbia and Montenegro, the Serbian fans used to boo the old anthem '' Hey Slavs'' which was played until Montenegro gained independence and Serbia now has a different anthem. The reason for that was it was deemed no longer applicable as it was the Old Six Republic Yugoslavia Anthem. They did to be fair respect opponent anthems.

pineapple stu
21/11/2007, 9:49 PM
Sounds like something similar to Irish fans booing Rangers players. A lot of them probably think it's cool, or it's what's done. I'd say the FA could eradicate it as quickly as we did with our problem if they wanted to.

jebus
21/11/2007, 9:53 PM
John Motson is past it he should retire because as the games go on he makes more mistakes.

Thought Motty was gas tonight, "please Beckham please" and "Just say something Mark" had me rolling on the floor. Plus why does that complete spare ***** Lawrenson refer to England as we? And why does he care so much? Ditto Hansen (although at least he doesn't say we in reference to England).

beautifulrock
21/11/2007, 9:54 PM
Sounds like something similar to Irish fans booing Rangers players. A lot of them probably think it's cool, or it's what's done. I'd say the FA could eradicate it as quickly as we did with our problem if they wanted to.

not sure it is the same and in fairness to the FA they have tried their best. It is always in the programs to observe the national anthems. It is not as bad as it used to be though,

pineapple stu
21/11/2007, 9:56 PM
Plus why does that complete spare ***** Lawrenson refer to England as we? And why does he care so much?
'Cos he's English maybe? And would have grown up supporting the English national team?

People can be from two places.

jebus
21/11/2007, 10:00 PM
'Cos he's English maybe? And would have grown up supporting the English national team?

People can be from two places.

But he also refers to Ireland as we. Plus I thought he was born here and moved over there at a young age?

pineapple stu
21/11/2007, 10:11 PM
He supports England and Ireland. May not compute for most of us, but no reason that's the case for everyone.

Cymro
21/11/2007, 10:14 PM
Scotland certainly did it to England at 'Euro 96.

I think booing is inevitable when it's a heated rivalry, but can't understand why England would boo Croatia's anthem. Well, they got their just desserts I suppose.

shaneker
21/11/2007, 10:43 PM
Its an absolute disgrace and the Beebs failure to point it out and try to cover it up is equally bad. Look how pitch invaders or streakers are treated by commentators, 'There's some idiot on the pitch', 'Well its a shame some fool has to spoil the game like this' etc, and then you hear Motty congratulating the fans on their 'respect' for the anthem.

Please, please God we will never become like that.

kingdom hoop
21/11/2007, 11:57 PM
I think booing is inevitable when it's a heated rivalry

Cf Ireland v England 24th February 2007 Croke Park.

Thankfully karma played its role that day too. :)

Holds true in life, attacking others for no good reason shows a weakness and be it directly or indirectly is counter-productive.

Like the bully in school, I'm delighted to see England get its comeuppance. :) :)

Closed Account 2
22/11/2007, 12:08 AM
They were booing the Soviet / Russian anthem in the match in September too, the Russians booed them back in Moscow - rightfully so, hell hath not fury like mother Russia scorned!

drinkfeckarse
22/11/2007, 8:04 AM
England fans have always booed the opponents anthem for as long as I can remember. I'm surprised some people think this is a new thing???

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 8:20 AM
FYI, Lawrenson has frequently said on air that he's an Irishman - there was a thread on this a while back.

He's no different to Andy Gray or Alan Greene in that he's paid by the biggest broadcaster in England to comment on England games.

Motty was hilarious alright. Serves the tool right.

seand
22/11/2007, 8:27 AM
Its an absolute disgrace and the Beebs failure to point it out and try to cover it up is equally bad. Look how pitch invaders or streakers are treated by commentators, 'There's some idiot on the pitch', 'Well its a shame some fool has to spoil the game like this' etc, and then you hear Motty congratulating the fans on their 'respect' for the anthem.

Please, please God we will never become like that.

Yeh, like booing Rangers and former Rangers players, that'd be embarassing.

Lim till i die
22/11/2007, 9:07 AM
I could understand say Serbia booing Croatias anthem
Or Iran booing the U.S.A's anthem
Stuff like that

But the way the English boo everyones anthems is pathetic as the idiot Ingerland fan harks back to the days of empire.

The problem is they are one of the first generations that hasn't had a war to thin out their ranks

John83
22/11/2007, 9:55 AM
Have we eradicated it? Or have we just not played against any teams with (former) Rangers players recently?

lopez
22/11/2007, 10:38 AM
FYI, Lawrenson has frequently said on air that he's an Irishman - there was a thread on this a while back.

He's no different to Andy Gray or Alan Greene in that he's paid by the biggest broadcaster in England to comment on England games.

Motty was hilarious alright. Serves the tool right.Lawrenson's mother's English. He's entitled to support England and Ireland if that's what he wants.

Have we eradicated it? Or have we just not played against any teams with (former) Rangers players recently?You can't compare booing every opponents anthem (and I mean everybody including Lietchenstein's) with booing players from one club, that incidentally upto 18 years ago refused to employ anyone from a certain religion. Cop yourself on, Mr. PC. :rolleyes:

John83
22/11/2007, 10:46 AM
You can't compare booing every opponents anthem (and I mean everybody including Lietchenstein's) with booing players from one club, that incidentally upto 18 years ago refused to employ anyone from a certain religion. Cop yourself on, Mr. PC. :rolleyes:
Show me where I wrote anything like that? I asked if something PS said was correct. I made no other judgment or comparison. Cop on to yourself, Mr. Illiterate.

lopez
22/11/2007, 11:04 AM
... Cop on to yourself, Mr. Illiterate.Oooooops! Thought you were Pineapple Stu. :o

John83
22/11/2007, 11:10 AM
Oooooops! Thought you were Pineapple Stu. :o
Fair enough!

Dodge
22/11/2007, 11:15 AM
Sky haven't used gray for an England game in a few years. David Platt does his job for the internationals

shaneker
22/11/2007, 11:20 AM
Yeh, like booing Rangers and former Rangers players, that'd be embarassing.

Not comparing like with like. There will always be some idiots, in every country, who do stuff like that to a select few teams/players. Doesn't make it right but there is a big difference between that and booing any opposition anthem as a matter of course, which is what England do.

pineapple stu
22/11/2007, 2:07 PM
You can't compare booing every opponents anthem (and I mean everybody including Lietchenstein's) with booing players from one club, that incidentally upto 18 years ago refused to employ anyone from a certain religion. Cop yourself on, Mr. PC. :rolleyes:
Why not? Ignorant, sectarian nonsense which most people who partake of it don't even understand. As I explained in my post.

Have we eradicated it? Or have we just not played against any teams with (former) Rangers players recently?
Yeah, we've played a couple of teams with Rangers players since - don't ask me to name them though. I think the Denmark embarrassment was the last time it happened (when the PA called out the wrong player coming on, who was then booed.

Newryrep
22/11/2007, 7:27 PM
I could clearly here them booing the Croatian anthem and I think Motson then says they '..respected it.. and the mgt team would be pleased they did..' or words to that effect.

Does he not think listeners could here that??

i heard that to and couldnt believe what Motson said hope it riled the Coats, another reason to be an ABE

Any fans interviewed after the game seemed to be more from the prawn sandwich brigade you would think less inclined to boo than their more unsavoury element.

How easy is it to get tickets for wembley, i would imagine the same as Croke Park

tetsujin1979
22/11/2007, 7:42 PM
According to NewsTalk tonight, the guy singing the Croatian national anthem actually got it wrong, he was supposed to sing "Dear, we love your mountains" but instead he sang "my penis is as big as a mountain" :D

Snoop Drog
22/11/2007, 8:21 PM
With the Croats essentially just playing for pride, it wasn't a great idea to boo their anthem...

Thunderblaster
22/11/2007, 9:51 PM
If the English keep booing national anthems, then all countries must take reprisals by playing God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols!!

cheifo
22/11/2007, 11:41 PM
I have to say it would be comical if the players all lined up for the anthems and the Sex Pistols were played.I also think the way the England fans sing GSTQ during the actual match is really silly.

Maroon 7
22/11/2007, 11:59 PM
England fans have always booed the opponents anthem for as long as I can remember. I'm surprised some people think this is a new thing???

Exactly. They are equal oppertunity booers. They'll boo anyone.:D

CollegeTillIDie
23/11/2007, 7:15 AM
If the English keep booing national anthems, then all countries must take reprisals by playing God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols!!

Classic! :D

paul_oshea
23/11/2007, 11:06 AM
did ye read about the english lad who got the croat anthem wrong? He sang "my love, my penis is a mountain" instead of "my love, you know we love your mountains"....LOL actually neither of them sound right but the first one is definitely funnier.

BTW - Lawreson has never said he is an Irishman on British TV. I think he is one of those who wears a reversible England/Ireland vest under his jumper/shirt.

I'd love that. Heck give me the job as the PA guy or whoever gets to do it and Ill do it at their next match :D WOuld be class. Everyone would be singing.

gustavo
23/11/2007, 11:11 AM
Not comparing like with like. There will always be some idiots, in every country, who do stuff like that to a select few teams/players. Doesn't make it right but there is a big difference between that and booing any opposition anthem as a matter of course, which is what England do.
I think you will find that i the "idiots" suggested that are in every country are the same idiots who are booing anthems in England

Stuttgart88
23/11/2007, 2:04 PM
Maybe the booing was at the vulgarity of the Croatian anthem, from those bilingual English fans in the crowd:

From BBC website:

Croatia rose to the occasion in their crucial Euro 2008 defeat of England - after an apparent X-rated gaffe by an English opera singer at Wembley.
Tony Henry belted out a version of the Croat anthem before the 80,000 crowd, but made a blunder at the end.

He should have sung 'Mila kuda si plania' (which roughly means 'You know my dear how we love your mountains').

But he instead sang 'Mila kura si planina' which can be interpreted as 'My dear, my penis is a mountain.'

I thought it just couldn't get any funnier!

shaneker
23/11/2007, 3:32 PM
I think you will find that i the "idiots" suggested that are in every country are the same idiots who are booing anthems in England

Still not the same thing. To have fans boo the anthem of one country or boo one clubs players is ignorant and pathetic. To boo the anthem of every country you play against is massively disrespectful and demonstrates a serious lack of class on a far wider scale.

Not trying to defend our idiots, or anybody elses, but there is no questioning England are alone in the sheer frequency of this problem. Thats why its not comparing like with like.

sadloserkid
27/11/2007, 8:28 PM
There was a fairly large minority of Irish boing and whistling throughout the English anthem at the U-21s game in Cork a little while back. We may not be in the same league as the English but we shouldn't throw stones either. we have enough citizens of our own that should be a source of acute embarrassment.

shaneker
27/11/2007, 10:44 PM
I appreciate what you are saying. I saw that game and you could hear several people booing and whistling during GSTQ. I'm from Cork and I was hoping we would be bigger than that. It will never happen but I would be delighted if the FAI employed some kind of identify-and-ban scheme for those responsible.

That said, I stand by what I said above.

lopez
28/11/2007, 12:54 PM
There was a fairly large minority of Irish boing and whistling throughout the English anthem at the U-21s game in Cork a little while back. We may not be in the same league as the English but we shouldn't throw stones either. we have enough citizens of our own that should be a source of acute embarrassment.So some of our fans boo one particular anthem, which coincidetnally is the one of our former imperial master. No sh****te!

Have we booed any other anthems - Germany perhaps considering the amount of Irish that the Wermacht killed in two World Wars, or the Italian one on the ammount of Irish they've killed with dodgy take aways? :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
29/11/2007, 12:25 PM
Yugoslavia's was booed by some I think, voicing their disapproval of genocide not because their colours are the same as Rangers'!

Thunderblaster
29/11/2007, 9:47 PM
Yugoslavia's was booed by some I think, voicing their disapproval of genocide

I remember that one. Apart from GSTQ, I do not think that any other national anthem would be booed here.

Dazzy
30/11/2007, 8:55 AM
I remember that one. Apart from GSTQ, I do not think that any other national anthem would be booed here.

Israel?

Schumi
30/11/2007, 12:36 PM
Israel?It wasn't the last time.

Israeli goalkeepers might be a different matter though.

DaveyCakes
30/11/2007, 10:35 PM
So some of our fans boo one particular anthem, which coincidetnally is the one of our former imperial master. No sh****te!

Have we booed any other anthems - Germany perhaps considering the amount of Irish that the Wermacht killed in two World Wars, or the Italian one on the ammount of Irish they've killed with dodgy take aways? :rolleyes:

I hate to be pedantic (No I don't:D), but the Wehrmacht didn't kill anyone, Irish or otherwise, in WWI. The German armed forces were known as the Reichswehr until 1935.

stojkovic
30/11/2007, 11:34 PM
I hate to be pedantic (No I don't:D), but the Wehrmacht didn't kill anyone, Irish or otherwise, in WWI. The German armed forces were known as the Reichswehr until 1935.

Its a common misconception as the years go by that the Nazis were responsible for both World Wars. Todays youth think Franz Ferdinand is a band.

CollegeTillIDie
03/12/2007, 8:59 PM
Appropos of nothing on the subject of Franz Ferdinand , Gavrilo Princip shot the wrong Habsburg. Franz was married to a Czech aristocrat and was sympathetic to the concept of home rule for all the Slavic people in the Austro-Hungarian ambit. He had actually proposed an Austro-Hungarian commonwealth with Home rule parliaments for Polish, Czechs, Slovaks and other groupings in the Empire up to the start of World War I.

1)Getting back on topic for a second , booing every anthem of every opponent is pig ignorant !
2) Austria started World War I yet Germany had to make reparations under the Treaty of Versailles. The singular injustice of this sowed seeds which Hitler and his ilk reaped the harvest of many years later.