PDA

View Full Version : Happy Anniversary

Ali-G
22/05/2003, 8:40 AM
Unless I am mistaken, today is the ten year anniversary of City winning the league. What memories have ye got from the day? I remember the huge City support, stealing some turf off the RDS pitch as a souveneir, the double decker bus ride through Dublin back to Heuston, the congo on the train back down, the improvised parade by City fans from the train station to town. At the time, it was the greatest day of my life. Cork won the hurling league the same day.

My guess at the starting eleven that day:
Biscuits
Murphy, Daly, Bannon, Fergie
Buckley, Barry, ?, McCabe
Johnny C, Skippy

The Citynet version of it is:
On the final day of the season City beat Limerick 3-0, Bohemians lost 2-0 to Dundalk while Shelbourne beat Derry 1-0 with a last minute goal, which meant that all three finished on the same number of points resulting in a series of home and away play-offs. However, these failed to resolve the situation as all three won one, drew 2 and lost one of their four games.

A second set of play-offs was then needed, this time the teams would meet each other once, on neutral ground. City drew first blood as a Pat Morley goal gave them a 1-0 win over Bohs at Turner's Cross. They were ready to bring the trophy South the following Saturday, May 22nd, when they faced Shels at the RDS. They beat them 3-2 in one of the most exciting League of Ireland games ever.

Pat Morley opened the scoring but Gary Haylock scored an equaliser from the penalty spot in the 40th minute. 10 minutes into the second half Shels had a man sent-off and City took full advantage as Dave Barry fired them into the lead. 10 minutes later Shels drew level again, this time through Anto Whelan but 16 minutes from time Paul Bannon appeared on the scene to score the most important goal in the club's history.

razor
22/05/2003, 9:20 AM
Definitely one of the greatest days of my life.

The bus journey from Heuston to the RDS, a double-decker packed with Corkonians singing "F*ck the Dubs" while travelling over O'Connell Bridge, priceless.

Had about 5 pints before the game, 1st time ever being half steamed going into a game.

The goals, we were never going to lose that day.

Stayed in the pub too long and missed the bus back to the train had to get a cab, just made it.
The conga on the train, brilliant and the march through the streets of the City, all the way up Pana to the fountain in the Grand Parade.

One of my final memories of that is Moses nearly squeezing the life out of me.

Twould bring a tear to the eye.

Happy Days

Dricky
22/05/2003, 9:27 AM
Ah remember it well, the crowds at the matches in Bishops town were great and then to be told that we will have to play on Neutral ground, finding out it was to be the Cross.

Bohs fans still feel they were robbed ha ha ha robbed and buggered ye were. Once they said the x for the neutral ground we knew we had it.

Dave Barry the Legend!!!!!

Trax
22/05/2003, 10:39 AM
I know it sounds naff but that's what got me interested in City in the 1st place.I was in primary School at the time and someone had the idea that the plyrs should visit and show the trophy like the GAA players do. Dont remember much of it but it got me hooked.Here's hoping it won't be another 10 years.............

SÓC
22/05/2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Dricky

Bohs fans still feel they were robbed ha ha ha robbed and buggered ye were. Once they said the x for the neutral ground we knew we had it.

Yea Bohs feel they were robbed on two fronts, they had the best goal difference and then the Cross as the neutral venue.

When ever they start I always remind them who handed them the league title by beating Shels:)

razor
22/05/2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Yea Bohs feel they were robbed on two fronts, they had the best goal difference and then the Cross as the neutral venue.

I do believe it was clumsy Maurices slip that left Skippy in for the winner.
How sweet it was !!!

The Donie Forde
22/05/2003, 12:55 PM
Special feature in tomorrow night's programme - with the correct line-up and all :D

Donie

yiddo
22/05/2003, 6:23 PM
Always makes me laugh when I hear the Bohs cribbing about the playoff. After all everyone knew the rules about the play-off from the start of the season. The irony of the second Bohs game being played in the neutral venue of the Cross really gets up their noses but rules are rules and City home ground at that stage was Bishopstown.

Also re the line up it was as per Ali-G but with Cormac Cotter at right full and Gunther in mid field.

tiktok
23/05/2003, 2:42 PM
in fairness would the rds have been any more neutral to us for the shels game.....

bohs never stop whining, it was great excitement, but what a stupid way to decide a league.

The Donie Forde
24/05/2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by yiddo

Also re the line up it was as per Ali-G but with Cormac Cotter at right full and Gunther in mid field.

Check last nite's programme for the correct line-up...:)

Donie

yiddo
24/05/2003, 5:49 PM
Donie,

How could I forget Stephen Napier and Johnny Glynn !

My only excuse is old age ;)

yiddo

thecorner
24/05/2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by razor
Had about 5 pints before the game, 1st time ever being half steamed going into a game.

doesnt take much to get you drunk

razor
25/05/2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
doesnt take much to get you drunk

That was a decade ago and sure I was only a young fella
I've improved a bit since then.

Neil
25/05/2003, 12:21 PM
One thing I remember clearly is the 20 minutes of "____ give us a wave, ___ ____ give us a wave" while the City squad were out on the pitch warming up before the game!

We went through the whole squad. And that included a "NICE ONE ____ Nice one son...." for each aswell!

Great day :ball: