PDA

View Full Version : Chris McCann

Pages : [1] 2

pateen
21/11/2007, 8:59 AM
From the Irish Independent 21/11/07

"The non-appearance of Burnley midfielder Chris McCann's name on the Irish team-sheet caused a surprise before kick-off.

Ex-Home Farm youngster McCann is understood to have opted to leave the squad altogether after being omitted from the starting line-up. He had been an unused substitute against Montenegro on Friday in a game that was his first competitive call-up to this level."

Supposed to be quite a good prospect but a bit of tantrum throwing there considering the Montenegro game was his first.

Is it Don Givens at it again or a big kid throwing his toys out of his pram? Who knows perhaps Givens should have given him a run against Montenegro but this time looks like McCann needs to grow up.

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2007, 9:07 AM
Chris Mc Cann.. you ain't all that great... otherwise you wouldn't be with Burnley. Don wasn't in Montenegro so it wasn't his decision not to use him in that game. Toys out of pram time.

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2007, 9:08 AM
Is it just me or is the new generation of pampered Celtic Tiger paddies in badly need of a good kick up the hole?

No it's not just you . Let's buy a pair of hobnail boots each shall we? :D

youngirish
21/11/2007, 9:09 AM
Chris Mc Cann.. you ain't all that great... otherwise you wouldn't be with Burnley

In fairness he's playing at a higher level more regularly than almost any of the others in that squad.

pateen
21/11/2007, 9:13 AM
Don wasn't in Montenegro so it wasn't his decision not to use him in that game.

That is true actually

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2007, 9:13 AM
In fairness he's playing at a higher level more regularly than almost any of the others in that squad.

Does that give him the right to walk straight into the starting XI , when due to circumstances outside HIS Control, Don Givens did not have the opportunity to see him going through his paces in Montenegro? Given the Under 21's finally won a game , it seems Don got the substitutions right on the night. Mc Cann could have been the man if he hadn't thrown a strop!

youngirish
21/11/2007, 9:18 AM
Does that give him the right to walk straight into the starting XI , when due to circumstances outside HIS Control, Don Givens did not have the opportunity to see him going through his paces in Montenegro? Given the Under 21's finally won a game , it seems Don got the substitutions right on the night. Mc Cann could have been the man if he hadn't thrown a strop!

Probably not but I worry about Givens to be honest. Not only does he fall out with every decent player we have at U21 level but (and this is the most important part) he's a sh*te manager also. Needs to go, he's a big part of the current problem at senior level as the losing mentality seems to follow the young players from the U21 squad into the senior team.

At the end of the day McCann and Garvan should have been in that team for a long time now ahead of some of the drivel that he regularly plays in midfield and if that was the case these problems wouldn't occur (and as a bonus we'd probably get some decent results if we actually played our best 11 like most other countries).

Stuttgart88
21/11/2007, 9:33 AM
There are some good comments on the "Falling Out With Don givens" thread.

Personally I think his results have been atrocious but I'm more than happy for him to stand up to upstarts and to voice his disdain at 31 year olds retiring from international football.

McCann is a good player though.

btid1
21/11/2007, 9:35 AM
the new generation of pampered Celtic Tiger paddies in badly need of a good kick up the hole?

Totally agree.

The Sky commentators were full of praise for the Irish midfield and Gleeson even won man of the match so let the little sh*t walk away if he wants.Whatever happened to pride in being involved in your national team squad in any way.

Dont need him so let him go!

Goodbye Chris and dont even darken these shores again!

Stuttgart88
21/11/2007, 9:36 AM
At the end of the day McCann and Garvan should have been in that team for a long time now ahead of some of the drivel that he regularly plays in midfield and if that was the case these problems wouldn't occur (and as a bonus we'd probably get some decent results if we actually played our best 11 like most other countries).

Agreed, and furthermore I'm convinced we'd have beaten the German U19s at Dalymount if Garvan hadn't been totally overlooked. We'd be in a European finals. I can't understand why McCann has featured so infrequently for us at any underage level.

As an example, surely it's better to have Andy Keogh being played in position for the U21s than playing wide right for the seniors, especially when there are older players playing at at least the same standard (e.g., Yeates) who are excelling wide right at club level.

Stuttgart88
21/11/2007, 9:48 AM
After the game, manager Don Givens said: “The background was that Chris McCann came to me at 5.15pm and said he didn’t want to be in the squad tonight. It was a waste of time him being here.

“He travelled to Montenegro and did not take part. He wasn’t in the starting line-up tonight and he didn’t want to be in the squad. I said to him ’have a think about it because it is obviously going to affect your future’.

“He said that he didn’t want to be in so I said to pack his things and go. I regret now that he hadn’t told me earlier because I’d have got somebody else on the bench. I’d have got a local boy in.

“I could have got somebody in because half this town would give their right arm to play for their country. Here’s a kid who doesn’t want to be there. I can never understand anybody that doesn’t want to pull on the green shirt.

“I don’t know the boy very well. He trained fine. There was no problem with his training in Dublin or here. As soon as the team was announced I wish he’d come to me then.”

Asked about the player’s future at international level, Givens replied: “Will I pick him again? Would you?”

An apology is all it'd take as far as I'm concerned. 20 year olds aren't always the smartest, let alone 20 year old footballers.

Dr. Ogba
21/11/2007, 9:57 AM
As an example, surely it's better to have Andy Keogh being played in position for the U21s than playing wide right for the seniors, especially when there are older players playing at at least the same standard (e.g., Yeates) who are excelling wide right at club level.

Excellent point re: Yeates and Keogh. Staunton banging on about how many lads he has brought through but did he bring through the right ones and for the right positions? Yeates and Tabb spring to mind for the RM slot....

Stuttgart88
21/11/2007, 10:02 AM
Staunton banging on about how many lads he has brought through but did he bring through the right ones and for the right positions? Yeates and Tabb spring to mind for the RM slot....I always thought his youth selection was haphazard and indiscriminate.

drinkfeckarse
21/11/2007, 10:12 AM
Had to double check that he wasn't a Corkman ;):D

Dr. Ogba
21/11/2007, 10:13 AM
I'd go further and say it was pure sh*te. How is Alan O'Brien doing again? Why was Gibson (a reserve team Man U footballer) and Potter (a very average Championship midfielder) in squads before Garvan?

you could nearly find an example for every position on the pitch (bar CB maybe) - Carr in the squad ahead of someone like Foley, Alan O'Brien ahead of Hunt, Gibson/Douglas ahead of Garvan or McCann even....the continuing baffling selection of Nick Colgan ahead of any other Irish keeper etc etc etc....

irishfan86
21/11/2007, 10:15 AM
Where is the maturity here? I'd tell him, sit on the bench and see how things are going. If I've made the right decision and the midfield is getting the job done, your team is winning. If they aren't playing well, you'll get your chance. How can he argue with that?

There's no need to do this "you're with us or against us" tactics, and get him villainized.

We have a small enough population as it is without antagonizing half our decent players.

EAFC_rdfl
21/11/2007, 10:19 AM
was at the game, enough chances to deserve the win. Givens seemed to be anonomous most of the game, just standing outside the dugout, have to agree with his opinion on McCann, plenty lads not in the squad would give anything to be on the bench, well done to the lads who came off the bench, made a good difference
on an earlier reply re the softness of the players shall we say, have to agree, it was the one thing that stood out in the game, I can't recall one good honest 50/50 where the irish lad went in with a bit of aggression/hunger, O'Dea once or twice maybe but that was it. was a bit disappointing

Paulie
21/11/2007, 10:34 AM
The point here is that the position of manager has to be respected. Whether the players agree with selection or tactics or not should be irrelevant. There should be only one man in charge, end of story. If this guy wants to pull a Stephen Ireland on it and throw a tantrum because he doesn't get a place on the team, never mind the squad, then he shouldn't be called up again until he apologises.

Dodge
21/11/2007, 10:41 AM
“I could have got somebody in because half this town would give their right arm to play for their country. Here’s a kid who doesn’t want to be there. I can never understand anybody that doesn’t want to pull on the green shirt.

Can't really argue with that quote. Even if his faint praise for the locals is grating

Had to double check that he wasn't a Corkman ;):D

:D

Claret Murph
21/11/2007, 10:41 AM
Chris Mc Cann.. you ain't all that great... otherwise you wouldn't be with Burnley. Don wasn't in Montenegro so it wasn't his decision not to use him in that game. Toys out of pram time.

take it easy College , as always we have only heard one side of the story and I will let you know how good he is when I get back from seeing play on Saturday for BURNLEY .............................

Stuttgart88
21/11/2007, 10:44 AM
Hard to tell from a quote. I agree fully with Givens in principle but the passage above suggests Givens didn't do too much to reason with the guy either. Hard to know.

Even still, McCann only has to say that he was out of order and that he's sorry.

drummerboy
21/11/2007, 10:46 AM
I bet Garvan plays for Ipswich this weekend. He played on the same schoolboy team as McCann and O'Dea. My guess is that Garvan and McCann have no respect for Givens for whatever reason.

I remember about 5 years ago, at a mini-tournament in France, Don Givens slatting the attitudes of young Irish players in the press. For someone who works exclusively with youth players he seems to have a major hang up with them. Perhaps its time to get a younger coach, someone who understands lads of this age.

youngirish
21/11/2007, 10:50 AM
Is that red card thing next to my name on my previous post on this matter a new addition to the site? Quite nice isn't it? It should only be a yellow though ref.

as_i_say
21/11/2007, 10:54 AM
dont know anything about mccann but theres no coincidence in the fact that this is another name to add to the list of players falling out with givens. how long has he been in charge? total loser. literally

Dodge
21/11/2007, 10:55 AM
No, all infractions are marked by red cards.

paul_oshea
21/11/2007, 10:56 AM
Hard to tell from a quote. I agree fully with Givens in principle but the passage above suggests Givens didn't do too much to reason with the guy either. Hard to know.

Thats what i thought when i read the piece on RTE. While I agree completely in principle with Givens, he could be the kinda guy to fly off the handle. This has happened a few times now, so maybe there is another way of handling this. IrishFans suggestion of reasoning is right, good man-management is key. Sure think about it yerselves, growing up, a good coach would take a fella aside either before or directly after naming the team and saying, I went with such and such cos of A and B or whatever. Just gives the lad a little boost, whether its true or not.

ifk101
21/11/2007, 11:03 AM
dont know anything about mccann but theres no coincidence in the fact that this is another name to add to the list of players falling out with givens. how long has he been in charge? total loser. literally

Well if Givens' version of events is correct, Givens was left with no choice but to send the chap packing.

As for Garvan - he didn't want to play with Ipswich at the start of the season either. I don't know if he and Givens have had a falling out but Garvan has had off the field problems away from the Irish setup.

David Connolly - I'll never forget that sly little dig in the Belgium match years ago. Said a lot to me about the character of that player which revealed itself again at the time of the Greece game.

Don't think other player that Givens fell out with, Richie Foran, can have any complaints either.

as_i_say
21/11/2007, 11:33 AM
are you talking about connolly getting sent off in belgium or something else?

ifk101
21/11/2007, 11:37 AM
are you talking about connolly getting sent off in belgium or something else?

His "foul" prior to being sent off. .

as_i_say
21/11/2007, 11:40 AM
cant remember -what did he do again

ifk101
21/11/2007, 11:47 AM
cant remember -what did he do again

He had a sly little kick at a player lying on the ground.

drummerboy
While I don't condone McCann actions, I can see why he was miffed. He has been doing really well for his club, scoring goals from midfield. He was left out of the previous game where JJ O'Toole was parachuted in ahead of him to start and then once again he was left out with Givens playing a winger in the central midfield role (Quinn), that McCann plays in. As regards the lad not wanting to play for his country, I think that is the spin put on it by Givens. He does want to play, hence him confronting Givens.

Drumcondra 69er
As for Garvan - he didn't want to play with Ipswich at the start of the season either. I don't know if he and Givens have had a falling out but Garvan has had off the field problems away from the Irish setup.

That's actually rubbish and was pure media bullsh1t, there's nothing wrong with Garvan's attitude, he's been messed around and ignored by various Ireland managers at various levels for years. The schoolboy scene and to a lesser degree the underage scene are riven with politics, it's a total joke. Any problems Garvan had re his football the last few years were down to a bad illness and subsequent injuries.

Givens is an arseh0le and a sh1te manger but I have to say he was right in this instance mind you.

amaccann
21/11/2007, 12:15 PM
He may be only 21, but just because you're hot stuff at Burnley doesn't mean you can whine whenever you're not used in a game. I mean you don't see every 2nd choice goalkeeper getting all p*ssy because most of them never see first team action. Part of the accepted environment of international call-up is that you may not play. I'm sure he'll learn (and who knows, maybe there was something else going on), but young players need to know how the football world works.

Claret Murph
21/11/2007, 12:28 PM
He may be only 21, but just because you're hot stuff at Burnley doesn't mean you can whine whenever you're not used in a game. I mean you don't see every 2nd choice goalkeeper getting all p*ssy because most of them never see first team action. Part of the accepted environment of international call-up is that you may not play. I'm sure he'll learn (and who knows, maybe there was something else going on), but young players need to know how the football world works.

Interesting user name you have "amaccann"

Qwerty
21/11/2007, 9:40 PM
McCann isn't alone, Alan Lee has said he doesn't want to be part of the Ireland squad if it only ever means being on the bench and maybe the odd token cap. I can understand McCann's disappoitment, he travels with the squad to Montenegro and then back to Ireland and doesn't get a start in either game. McCann has been a regular for Burnley for years, Tracey and Gleeson are not seeing first team football. He handled it badly but I'm sure it was just frustration and probably resentment that he hadn't been called up earlier.

DmanDmythDledge
21/11/2007, 9:46 PM
While I think Givens' actions were correct in sending him home I hope he does not hold a grudge and alianate McCann from the Irish setup. He's only a young lad so he'll probably mature over time. He's a very good player- should have made the U-21 squad a good while ago.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 8:33 AM
McCann isn't alone, Alan Lee has said he doesn't want to be part of the Ireland squad if it only ever means being on the bench and maybe the odd token cap. Isn't that a distortion of what he said? I thought he said that not being involved has helped his club form. Instead of hanging around hotels and sitting on the bench he can stay at his club and work on his fitness and the things he wants to work on.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2007, 9:27 AM
3 different articles on McCann in today's Indo:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/i-wont-be-ringing-don-insists-mccann-1226530.html
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/battlehardened--talent-who-is---not-your-average-20yearold-1226430.html
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/victim-or-villain-1226543.html

Stuttgart88
02/01/2008, 10:59 AM
Burnley boss hails “top-class” McCann

January 2, 2008

Exiled Republic of Ireland under-21 midfielder Chris McCann has been hailed as a superstar-in-waiting by Burnley manager and one-time Irish international Owen Coyle.

McCann has been in fine form for the Clarets this season, and has found a huge fan in Coyle, his new boss at Turfmoor.

The young Dubliner courted controversy in 2007 when walking out of Don Givens’s Irish under-21 squad after being omitted from the starting XI – but Coyle feels 2008 and beyond could see him take major steps towards the top of the game.

He told the Irish Sun: “It is easy to forget that Chris is still only 20 years of age because he seems to have been on the scene for quite some time. For someone of his age to have clocked up almost 100 first-team appearances in a tough league like the Championship shows you what he’s about.

“I don’t want to heap pressure on him, but in his position and at his age, I’m not sure I’ve seen a better player. Chris has been immense since I came in and I think he’s going to be a top player who will play at the highest level.”

pateen
04/01/2008, 8:15 AM
Burnley boss hails “top-class” McCann

January 2, 2008

Exiled Republic of Ireland under-21 midfielder Chris McCann has been hailed as a superstar-in-waiting by Burnley manager and one-time Irish international Owen Coyle.

McCann has been in fine form for the Clarets this season, and has found a huge fan in Coyle, his new boss at Turfmoor.

The young Dubliner courted controversy in 2007 when walking out of Don Givens’s Irish under-21 squad after being omitted from the starting XI – but Coyle feels 2008 and beyond could see him take major steps towards the top of the game.

He told the Irish Sun: “It is easy to forget that Chris is still only 20 years of age because he seems to have been on the scene for quite some time. For someone of his age to have clocked up almost 100 first-team appearances in a tough league like the Championship shows you what he’s about.

“I don’t want to heap pressure on him, but in his position and at his age, I’m not sure I’ve seen a better player. Chris has been immense since I came in and I think he’s going to be a top player who will play at the highest level.”

good to see

eirebhoy
04/01/2008, 9:54 AM
High praise indeed.

aidz1
06/01/2008, 1:36 PM
Playing for burnley against arsenal on bbc now

NeilMcD
06/01/2008, 2:13 PM
O Connor looks more impressive so far. But Mc Cann is tracking Denilson well, but not getting involved enough. O Connor tough shows for the ball all the time.

beautifulrock
06/01/2008, 4:12 PM
McCann looks a little one paced as well, O Connor looked a good bit better, some above average tackles and kept possession well.

theworm2345
06/01/2008, 6:44 PM
From the Irish Independent 21/11/07

"The non-appearance of Burnley midfielder Chris McCann's name on the Irish team-sheet caused a surprise before kick-off.

Ex-Home Farm youngster McCann is understood to have opted to leave the squad altogether after being omitted from the starting line-up. He had been an unused substitute against Montenegro on Friday in a game that was his first competitive call-up to this level."

Supposed to be quite a good prospect but a bit of tantrum throwing there considering the Montenegro game was his first.

Is it Don Givens at it again or a big kid throwing his toys out of his pram? Who knows perhaps Givens should have given him a run against Montenegro but this time looks like McCann needs to grow up.
Never seen this...I'm sure it was that **** Givens "at it again"

ramsfan
06/01/2008, 6:59 PM
think oconnor impressed more today, mccann looks handy too
just watched stoke and have to say lawrence is definitely a strong bet to make ireland squad definitely more useful than andy keogh.

paul_oshea
06/01/2008, 7:56 PM
dont know what all the fuss about mccann is to be honest.

Fergie's Son
06/01/2008, 9:12 PM
More concerned about Givens. We need a change at the U-21 level which is why his involvement in the hiring of the new manager is wrong.

eirebhoy
06/01/2008, 9:41 PM
dont know what all the fuss about mccann is to be honest.
There hasn't been much fuss at all, other than Owen Coyle's comments.