Lim till i die
20/11/2007, 8:38 PM
Live on Radio

Felt sorry for the guy

You could tell he was close to tears

Not that his actions were big or clever mind

half_full
20/11/2007, 9:39 PM
The man is an absolute fool IMO, and not just when it comes to on the field matters.

Every cloud has a silver lining, unfortunately our joke of a Board didn't have the balls to do it earlier.

pineapple stu
20/11/2007, 9:42 PM
Bit harsh, no?

You were relegated last year, saved by Shels' implosion, given short notice to get a Premier team together and still got two and a half times as many points as last season. Not that bad a performance, all things considered.

RonnieB
20/11/2007, 9:43 PM
See ye next year lads :)

half_full
20/11/2007, 9:49 PM
Bit harsh, no?

You were relegated last year, saved by Shels' implosion, given short notice to get a Premier team together and still got two and a half times as many points as last season. Not that bad a performance, all things considered.

We still finished bottom whatever way you look at it. Complete lack of tactics shown by him and IMO he only played Robbie Hedderman (who played incredibly badly every game his year) because they are mates, even though we had better players available. Some of his signings/selections wouldn't and won't cut it in the first division.

Lim till i die
20/11/2007, 9:55 PM
We still finished bottom whatever way you look at it. Complete lack of tactics shown by him and IMO he only played Robbie Hedderman (who played incredibly badly every game his year) because they are mates, even though we had better players available. Some of his signings/selections wouldn't and won't cut it in the first division.

Bring back Mike Kerley I say :p

blue til i die
20/11/2007, 9:57 PM
When cronin was on the radio offering his resignation, i was screaming at the radio about how much of a fool his is. i for one was a person who would have loved him to stay in charge next yr,no matter way. as far as i am concerned,all he was lookin for a get out clause, now he thinks he has one.
As the season progressed, hedderman's game improved alot.
as for the signings, Mulcahy,been supurb since he arrived, bermingham has been great when he's fit.
Cronin would have been the man to lead us back into the premier division, but i dont want a manager who doesnt want the club,simple as that!!
However, he got one thing right tonight, Pat Flynn will never play in a blues shirt again,absolute discrace!!

Blue-Army
20/11/2007, 10:05 PM
The man is an absolute fool IMO, and not just when it comes to on the field matters.

Every cloud has a silver lining, unfortunately our joke of a Board didn't have the balls to do it earlier.
I agree with ya...And why was he saying that Pat Flynn will Never play for us again...Its true but its just unprofessional...
disgraceful performance..The 3rd goal killed us...we had a slight chance if it stayed at 2-0..

Harps fans will probably outnumber us on friday now...

blue til i die
20/11/2007, 10:08 PM
Harps easily overcome struggling Blues
20/11/2007 - 21:54:21

Finn Harps 3 Waterford United 0

Finn Harps have one foot back in the Premier Division as goals from man-of-the-match Declan Boyle and strikers Conor Gethins and Stephen Parkhouse comfortably beat 10-man Waterford in the first leg of the promotion/relegation play-off at Finn Park.

So disgusted with his side's display that Blues boss Gareth Cronin offered his resignation after the match, but the board refused to accept it.

Boyle was left totally unmarked from Marc Brolly's 18th minute corner to head Harps in front.

Blues, who struggled to get a shot on target all night, had Pat Flynn sent off for appearing to head-butt Jonathan Minnock on the hour mark.

Five minutes later, Gethins skipped away onto Michael Funston's pass to lob Dean Delaney to make it 2-0.

Parkhouse added the third goal on 87 minutes after Jonathan Minnock's free-kick ricocheted off the wall.

The sides meet again at the RSC on Friday night.

Blue-Army
20/11/2007, 10:10 PM
Harps easily overcome struggling Blues
20/11/2007 - 21:54:21

Finn Harps 3 Waterford United 0

Finn Harps have one foot back in the Premier Division as goals from man-of-the-match Declan Boyle and strikers Conor Gethins and Stephen Parkhouse comfortably beat 10-man Waterford in the first leg of the promotion/relegation play-off at Finn Park.

So disgusted with his side's display that Blues boss Gareth Cronin offered his resignation after the match, but the board refused to accept it.

Boyle was left totally unmarked from Marc Brolly's 18th minute corner to head Harps in front.

Blues, who struggled to get a shot on target all night, had Pat Flynn sent off for appearing to head-butt Jonathan Minnock on the hour mark.

Five minutes later, Gethins skipped away onto Michael Funston's pass to lob Dean Delaney to make it 2-0.

Parkhouse added the third goal on 87 minutes after Jonathan Minnock's free-kick ricocheted off the wall.

The sides meet again at the RSC on Friday night.
where did ya get that from...its not on the official website...

doesn't matter anyway...He'll just quit after the game..

He was looking for a get-out-clause ..he'll be off to Shels now..

blue til i die
20/11/2007, 10:13 PM
where did ya get that from...its not on the official website...

doesn't matter anyway...He'll just quit after the game..

He was looking for a get-out-clause ..he'll be off to Shels now..

from breakingnews.ie.
he wanted a get-out-clause,now he has one.

Tis-smeee
21/11/2007, 1:08 AM
We still finished bottom whatever way you look at it. Complete lack of tactics shown by him and IMO he only played Robbie Hedderman (who played incredibly badly every game his year) because they are mates, even though we had better players available. Some of his signings/selections wouldn't and won't cut it in the first division.Who was the better left back and consider all the injuries at different stages of the season, the man is a brutal player- a lovely guy btw -alot of the time he had no choice,who were his signings/selections that would not make it in the first division, generalisng the facts dont work, make a clear point and stop talking rubbish

seand
21/11/2007, 8:06 AM
Another aspect of this 'resignation' is the fact that it's only bloody half time!! Of course Harps are red hot favourites, but surely Waterford should be thinking in terms of getting stuck into Harps, getting an early goal and it's game on. Instead of throwing in the towel at half bloody time. The players must be inspired by Cronin's confidence in them.

Hopefully they'll show the same lack of bottle next season... in the First.

BrayUnknowns
21/11/2007, 8:22 AM
When Waterford get relegated on Thursday he will walk... and be appointed Athlone Towns new manager, if he manages to keep them up some how then he was some very decent players lined up

Magicme
21/11/2007, 8:38 AM
Heard he is in for the Athlone job but also heard he is going to Shels so who knows!

BTW Athlone were trying to entice Mick Cooke to Lissywoolen (:p for Ray) but he is staying put.

MyTown
21/11/2007, 8:51 AM
My sympathy to genuine Blues supporters.

I can't help feeling that like Limerk's move from the Market's Field, the soul of Waterford football died when they left Kilcohan.

I know I'll be hammered for more nostolagic clap trap etc. etc., but the prospect of more supporters from Donegal being at the second leg really tells its own story.

At 2-0 ye were still in with a shout (as we know having been beaten 3-2 on aggregate by the Drogs, having won the home leg 2-0...and look at them now), but the Parkhouse strike has condemned ye.

Best of luck next season.

blue til i die
21/11/2007, 12:06 PM
cronin def in charge for fridays match,according the official site. an early goal and its game on. C'mon the blues!!
BTID- KEEP THE FAITH!!

half_full
21/11/2007, 1:06 PM
Who was the better left back and consider all the injuries at different stages of the season, the man is a brutal player- a lovely guy btw -alot of the time he had no choice,who were his signings/selections that would not make it in the first division, generalisng the facts dont work, make a clear point and stop talking rubbish

Stop talking rubbish?:rolleyes:

Stephen O'Shea and Dayne Ormond were better options than Hedderman, who was struggling for form and confidence.

Karl Bermingham only signed for us because no one else would take him, same as Delaney and D.Mulcahy (who has been good, not great) wanted to get out of St.Pat's. None of those three will be around next year.

Alan Kearney, Hedderman (who seems to be a decent fella in fairness) along with Lordan have been terrible. Ray Scully was disastrous for most of the season, yet featured consistently. Willie John Kiely has been poor for the majority of his time at the club.

All the above are his signings and selections, make of that what you will.

btid1
21/11/2007, 1:18 PM
When Waterford get relegated on Thursday he will walk... and be appointed Athlone Towns new manager

Athlone couldnt afford him.Trust me!

blue til i die
21/11/2007, 2:06 PM
Stop talking rubbish?:rolleyes:

Stephen O'Shea and Dayne Ormond were better options than Hedderman, who was struggling for form and confidence.

Karl Bermingham only signed for us because no one else would take him, same as Delaney and D.Mulcahy (who has been good, not great) wanted to get out of St.Pat's. None of those three will be around next year.

Alan Kearney, Hedderman (who seems to be a decent fella in fairness) along with Lordan have been terrible. Ray Scully was disastrous for most of the season, yet featured consistently. Willie John Kiely has been poor for the majority of his time at the club.

All the above are his signings and selections, make of that what you will.

stephen o'shea maybe give him a chance, hard to give ormand a chance since he's suspended for a year. when bermingham has been fit,i think he has been a gud player. Delaney is the main reason we got to the play-offs, he's been out standing this year,and no1 can argue with that. Scully's performances have improved greatly as the season went on, as have WJK's.
we know hedderman,flynn,and davy mul wont be here next yr. all waterford based players have signed on for next yr,which is the core of our team,ie Browne,hayes,breen,macca,dyl,WJK,holden etc. if we keep a few more, i dont see why we cant challenge next year!
as for that 'manager', i dont want a manager who doesnt want to be here!!
fuk off t shels,which we know u will!!admitting defeat halfway thru a tie is unexcusable!!

Blue-Army
21/11/2007, 2:58 PM
Heard he is in for the Athlone job but also heard he is going to Shels so who knows!

BTW Athlone were trying to entice Mick Cooke to Lissywoolen (:p for Ray) but he is staying put.
Its Shels...he said he was offered the job in a radio interview last week...He mentioned that Keely will move to the director of football role at Shels ,with cronin becoming head coach..

btid1
21/11/2007, 3:14 PM
Its Shels...he said he was offered the job in a radio interview last week...He mentioned that Keely will move to the director of football role at Shels ,with cronin becoming head coach..

The dream team:D

half_full
21/11/2007, 6:58 PM
stephen o'shea maybe give him a chance, hard to give ormand a chance since he's suspended for a year. when bermingham has been fit,i think he has been a gud player. Delaney is the main reason we got to the play-offs, he's been out standing this year,and no1 can argue with that. Scully's performances have improved greatly as the season went on, as have WJK's.
we know hedderman,flynn,and davy mul wont be here next yr. all waterford based players have signed on for next yr,which is the core of our team,ie Browne,hayes,breen,macca,dyl,WJK,holden etc. if we keep a few more, i dont see why we cant challenge next year!
as for that 'manager', i dont want a manager who doesnt want to be here!!
fuk off t shels,which we know u will!!admitting defeat halfway thru a tie is unexcusable!!

What I said was that O'Shea and Ormond WOULD have been better options, its tool late now!:mad:

Dyl could well be on his way to Sligo apparentley and I wouldn't count on Kenny Browne being around either next year.

Laker
21/11/2007, 7:10 PM
Delighted for him. Playing for a draw when UCD were losing in the last game...

atfconline
21/11/2007, 9:33 PM
He was in Athlone a few weeks ago after a Longford game and telling people in a certain palatial establishment he would like the Athlone job. Don't know how much/if any interest we have in him.

According to the local paper today, looks like we are keeping on Dermie Lennon.

pineapple stu
21/11/2007, 9:48 PM
Delighted for him. Playing for a draw when UCD were losing in the last game...
True...

noby
22/11/2007, 8:25 AM
We played for a draw in every game, not just the last one.

bigmac
22/11/2007, 8:53 AM
Reports from Blues training sessions throughout the season have been less than glowing as well. It seems to be nothing but five-a side matches - no real coaching. Really, with strange tactical decisions throughout the year (Longford, UCD, Rovers) Cronin has put himeslf into this predicament. I can understand how a draw can be immensely valuable when a team is struggling for points, but I never saw him tell a team to go out and win a game. Any time they went ahead it was sit back and all hands to the pump.

On a separate note, WJK was played out of position most of the year, when he actually played up front he was a handy player

btid1
22/11/2007, 9:16 AM

Mainly because you cant afford anyone else!!!

Who else would work for no pay?

Battery Rover
22/11/2007, 9:55 AM
He was in Athlone a few weeks ago after a Longford game and telling people in a certain palatial establishment he would like the Athlone job. Don't know how much/if any interest we have in him.

Quite a few people interviewed for the job and Cronin was one of them I believe but as atfconline says it looks like Dermot Lennon is being kept on and in my opinion it is the right choice

Lim till i die
22/11/2007, 11:38 AM
Quite a few people interviewed for the job and Cronin was one of them I believe but as atfconline says it looks like Dermot Lennon is being kept on and in my opinion it is the right choice

Just how poor are you going to be next season?!?!

Sam_Heggy
22/11/2007, 12:58 PM
Lennon actually got Athlone playing again, he seemed to give the players a kick up the arse and got a reaction out of them. How many points per game did he manage?

Battery Rover
22/11/2007, 2:16 PM
Just how poor are you going to be next season?!?!

We won't be that poor next season. We all have to work of a maximum of 65% of income next year so we won't be worse of than anyone else.

From the team we had this season if we drop the 4 big wage earners our weekly wage bill drips by over 50% and a budget of 5k a week with bonuses etc is well affordable down here.

cheifo
22/11/2007, 3:28 PM
Athlone supporters were great when we went down there to support them against Cobh.What is going on with the match programme though BB.Chairmans intro talked about Michael O cOnner still being manager:eek:
Apart from a b&w print list of the two teams the rest seemed to be taken from previous issues?I did'nt mind but If I supported Athlone I would feel €3 is taking the ****.

Blue-Army
23/11/2007, 10:46 PM
Gareth Cronin has confirmed that he is to remain on as Waterford United manager despite the club been relegated tonight.

He said that he wants to be part of the rebuilding process for the first division.

according to Adrian Flanaghan...

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2007, 8:18 AM
Blue Army

I have always had a high regard for your club. And I sincerely hope you get promoted again as soon as possible. The fact that Cronin is willing to stick around and try to rebuild is to his credit. Whether or not he has what it takes to do that remains to be seen. I genuinely hope he does.

blue til i die
24/11/2007, 9:04 PM
gareth cronin has his car windows smashed and car scratched after the game last night. so whether he'll want to stay now,nobody knows!! hope whoever did this is caught and made to pay for it..dicraceful stuff!!

half_full
24/11/2007, 9:27 PM
Scum:mad:

CollegeTillIDie
25/11/2007, 7:57 AM
Scum:mad:

Agreed. But it has to be pointed out a very small minority of the Blues support can be so described. He puts in a lot of mileage in his capacity as Blues boss which might go unappreciated.

half_full
25/11/2007, 11:32 AM
Agreed. But it has to be pointed out a very small minority of the Blues support can be so described. He puts in a lot of mileage in his capacity as Blues boss which might go unappreciated.

A very small minority would be on understatement, the vast majority of the 500 or so hardcore support are the most decent of people. I know I was critical of him on here, but Cronin is a nice guy who certainly doesn't deserve anything like this. It's even more of a shame it happened at the last game of the season as now a collection can't really be organised for him.