PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hunt on John O''Shea

paul_oshea
20/11/2007, 11:49 AM
Apologies if this was mentioned already but did anyone else read what hunt said about oshea, think it was on the independent on sunday. "john is not the type of tackling player, for anyone that knows football he is the kind of player that sits back and reads the game" or something along those lines, what the hell does a defender do if they dont tackle?! :confused:
Was hunt taking the footballing public as fools, or just sticking up for his NBF john oshea or both?

as_i_say
20/11/2007, 11:52 AM
i dont think hunt can say anything that anybody doesnt already think about oshayte. however i thought he was decent against wales. anybody think it was unbelievable how the panel were saying that himself and dunne should be the centerback pairing!?

carloz
20/11/2007, 12:10 PM
i dont think hunt can say anything that anybody doesnt already think about oshayte. however i thought he was decent against wales. anybody think it was unbelievable how the panel were saying that himself and dunne should be the centerback pairing!?

Well I agree with the panel. With the right defender beside him O'Shea can be a very good central defender. McShane seems to be very hasty. Plus O'Shea has more physical presence than McShane.

Drumcondra 69er
20/11/2007, 12:15 PM

He was decent but still had one of those classic John O'Shea moments when he lost it altogether in the first 10 minutes, had we conceeded from that he'd have been awful the rest of the game.

The worst thing is that he doesn't read the game for 90 minutes solid, his mind wanders more often during the 90 minutes then a child's with ADD would.

geysir
20/11/2007, 12:26 PM
John's leaving cert education with honours absolves him from tackling duty and running around like a lunatic.

Hunt
“There’s no player who wants to lose playing for Ireland. Different players have different ways of playing. Like, John O’Shea is not a tackler, he’s a clever player, an educated footballer. He’s effective but that’s still his style. He plays for Man United for a reason.

“Everyone has a different style. Just because you don’t run around like a lunatic doesn’t mean you’re not trying. My style’s energetic but you have to play football too."

paul_oshea
20/11/2007, 1:03 PM
Who is he on about now?! McShane ;)

A drunken weekend has hazed my memory completely but thats what I believed I read, however I did think it said it more like I said it, but thats obviously wrong.

What a stupid thing to say. Just ignore mentioning about a certain player if ye know you are going to sound like a flute. Read between the lines and ye know hunt thinks the same as us.

citizenerased
20/11/2007, 1:06 PM
yeah sheasy got 410 in his leaving cert...

paul_oshea
20/11/2007, 1:07 PM
did he? thats not too bad in fairness! only 13% got over 410 around that time!!! so he must be in the top 13 smartest in the world, ah its all coming together now, just like a good old chemistry mix, good at football - a bit thick, good at school - crap footballer. Do ye think he does be ( that good old terribly wrong use of words ) trying to solve E=mc2 when playing?

NeilMcD
20/11/2007, 1:22 PM
John's leaving cert education with honours absolves him from tackling duty and running around like a lunatic.

Hunt
“There’s no player who wants to lose playing for Ireland. Different players have different ways of playing. Like, John O’Shea is not a tackler, he’s a clever player, an educated footballer. He’s effective but that’s still his style. He plays for Man United for a reason.

“Everyone has a different style. Just because you don’t run around like a lunatic doesn’t mean you’re not trying. My style’s energetic but you have to play football too."

I agree with Hunt and fair play to him on this. I think that Robbie Keane gets a lot of criticism for this reason but there is not doubt who is a better player over Hunt and Keane. I thought Hunt was great on Saturday but I think he might be limited to a sub role for Ireland but he should certainly be given more chances and he does bring something to the party.

Dodge
20/11/2007, 1:33 PM
Hunt

I read that as a compliment to O'Shea. I think Paul mcgrath only tackled about 4/5 times a year he was that good at reading the game. By no means am i comparing the too.

Also nice to see Hunt acknowledge his limitations.

Lionel Ritchie
20/11/2007, 1:35 PM
Very unfortunate thread title.

I don't even want to imagine the falsely raised expectations of any of the funboy contingent on footie.

John83
20/11/2007, 1:40 PM
Very unfortunate thread title.

I don't even want to imagine the falsely raised expectations of any of the funboy contingent on footie.
Is this yet another example of Rule 34 (http://xkcd.com/305/) of the internet?

drinkfeckarse
20/11/2007, 2:40 PM
McGrath and Hansen. 2 examples of class centre halves who only had to tackle as a last resort.

eirebhoy
20/11/2007, 2:47 PM
O'Shea's a poor reader of the game imo. Cannavaro's a fabulous reader of the game and still puts in loads of tackles. Some players just have different styles.

pete
20/11/2007, 2:52 PM
I can see journalist queuing up for Hunt as he always gives interesting if somethings too frank quotes.

Scram
20/11/2007, 3:05 PM
Apologies if this was mentioned already but did anyone else read what hunt said about oshea, think it was on the independent on sunday. "john is not the type of tackling player, for anyone that knows football he is the kind of player that sits back and reads the game" or something along those lines, what the hell does a defender do if they dont tackle?! :confused:
Was hunt taking the footballing public as fools, or just sticking up for his NBF john oshea or both?

"Stephen Hunt on John O'Shea"....I was expecting some lewd photos or video :eek:

Kingdom
20/11/2007, 7:25 PM
I was talking to a mate of mine about the back 4, and I felt O'Shea played quite well. He disagreed, saying that while his performance on Saturday was far superior in comparison to most of his previous visits to an Irish jersey, that doesn't mean he played particularily well!!! :D

In my mind he's a centre half, and will always be a centre half. I'd be happy enough with a central defence consisting of dunne with Andy O'Brien, O'Shea or McShane. (in that order)

mattie
20/11/2007, 8:03 PM
O'Shea has more physical presence than McShane.

O' Shea has a physical presence equal to thin air. He reminds me of an under-10 player who still is afraid of the ball anytime it comes fast at him. McShane, for his limitations is a much better defender. If he hadn't given away the peno and rte panel blown on about it this wouldn't even be in the news.

kingdomkerry
21/11/2007, 9:21 PM
Anyone remember O Se turning his arse to the ball for Slovakia away? He is stone useless IMO and i dont know how he is at man utd!

sullanefc
22/11/2007, 12:14 AM
Anyone remember O Se turning his arse to the ball for Slovakia away? He is stone useless IMO and i dont know how he is at man utd!

mcshane also turned his arse to a shot against wales.

Dodge
22/11/2007, 12:19 AM
mcshane also turned his arse to a shot against wales.

They're both ****e...

tricky_colour
22/11/2007, 1:11 AM
Maybe they like it up the .........:eek:

dr_peepee
22/11/2007, 7:27 AM
To be clearer the thread title should have read "Hunt on John O'Shea's tackle"