PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 - Usa

Magicme
20/11/2007, 8:24 AM
Can anyone tell me will a PS3 from the states work here? Will the games be the same?

Am considering getting one (80gb) from there but not sure if it will work.

tetsujin1979
20/11/2007, 9:19 AM
Games should be fine, Sony has left it to the discretion of the developers to make a game region-specific. But the Blu-Ray player will only play Region 1 discs.

Magicme
20/11/2007, 9:19 AM
Do I need anything other than an adaptor for the plug to get it to work here then?

anto1208
20/11/2007, 10:11 AM
All you will need is the adaptor to make it play ive never heard of any problems getting them to work.

The games work from any where in the world ,the Blue ray disks may not depending on the movies region code some are region free.

Your TV will have to support NSTC format ( we are PAL ) most new tv's will do this but in case its an old tv in the kids room check it supports it.

Everything else is pretty universal with it controllers etc are all blue tooth .But remember once you take it out of the States you loose your warranty, you also may get hit with customs and if your posting it you have to factor in the cost of posting. If you are carrying it home its quite heavy and larger than you would think you might have to pay to get it on the plane.

I never recomend anyone doing this as these are expensive machines and you should have some come back if it breaks ( and they do ) it could get damaged in shipping too.

The savings you make just are nt worth it there is no need for kids to have the 80gb one over the 40gb one you get here its 400 euro here ( or 445 in game with 2 games ).Tesco are giving 30% back on some goods at the moment could be worth looking into Argos are giving 10 euro voucher for every 100 spent so that 40 euro back.

You can also pick up the old 60gb version in some shops for a limited time this one will play Playstation 2 games the new one wont.( 60gb is 500 euro down from 630 while stocks last )

If you buy here you get a 3 year warranty.

For getting games then if you have a contact in asia get them sent over they are about 30 euros over there they are 75 here .

if you have any other questions there is no probs PM'n me ill talk about playstations all day long if i could :D

Magicme
20/11/2007, 10:24 AM
Aw Thanks. Yeah have decided against the American route now. Had a mate going over next week so was playing with the idea but I think will just look into the 60gb in Argos coz then they can play most of their old games on it too.

Will look into gettin games from Asia too. Thanks for the tip off!

anto1208
20/11/2007, 11:31 AM
Aw Thanks. Yeah have decided against the American route now. Had a mate going over next week so was playing with the idea but I think will just look into the 60gb in Argos coz then they can play most of their old games on it too.

Will look into gettin games from Asia too. Thanks for the tip off!

You would want to check this week as they stopped making them in october and once the shops have sold them there is no more , i know game and smyths had sold out but HMV had a few they might have them in shops outside the big cities still if demand hasnt been too high.

But i wouldnt be too stuck on the 60gb if i was you if they have PS2 games they prob have a PS2 to play them on at the moment , is it really worth forking out an extra 100+ euro so they can play games they can all ready play on the PS2 ??

Also you can get a connector to allow you use PS2 controllers on the PS3 it is about 10euro on ebay as a new PS3 controller is 55 euro

If you want websites i order games off as well i can send them on to you too ( brand new games 48 euro delivered )

Magicme
20/11/2007, 11:36 AM
Their PS2 gave up a month or so ago so they dont have that option unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip bout the controller adaptor! Was gonna fork out €40 odd for another wireless one but that would do them for now.

Any hints on the cheaper games would be gratefully received. Am a broke single mum who works part time so this is wiping me out as it is!

anto1208
20/11/2007, 12:57 PM
www.play.com Are ok the games go from 40-62 depending on the game and delivery is free .

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/ ive just started using this one games are 48 euro delivered i ordered a game thursday night had it monday morning brand new sealed game.that isnt out here untill friday :D

there are a few more ill post them if i can find them

This is the type of convertor thing you need for the controller

http://cgi.ebay.ie/PS2-to-PS3-Controller-Convertor-Playstation-2-3-Sixaxis_W0QQitemZ300171815380QQihZ020QQcategoryZ14 7177QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Magicme
20/11/2007, 5:13 PM
Thanks! Will get cracking on some of them now.

Dodge
20/11/2007, 5:37 PM
Get them a wii. Cheaper. More fun, and encourages the social aspect of game playing too.

Of course you won't get one in Ireland for love nor money but still...

Magicme
20/11/2007, 6:22 PM
naw they are too "old" for a wii. They are more into ps type games so dont think the wii is what they want at all.

Dodge
20/11/2007, 6:39 PM
naw they are too "old" for a wii. They are more into ps type games so dont think the wii is what they want at all.

I'm 29 now, and the missus is 26 next week.

Check out some games like Metroid Prime, Resident Evil etc

its not just about Wii Sports

OneRedArmy
20/11/2007, 7:01 PM
When I brought my Xbox back from the US years ago I also needed a step up converter to convert from 110-240 volts. It was reasonably expensive and also used a monkey load of power.

It was also a pain in the hole getting games and I wouldn't do it again.

anto1208
20/11/2007, 11:10 PM
Get them a wii. Cheaper. More fun, and encourages the social aspect of game playing too.

Of course you won't get one in Ireland for love nor money but still...

Novelty for two weeks then it will sit there collecting dust

Dodge
21/11/2007, 12:44 AM
Super Mario Galaxy and Matroid Prime are the two best reviewed games of the year. Resident Evil for the wii is supposedly the best RE ever

Add in the usual sports titles available on every other platform, internet browsing and the ability to buy classic game for as little as a fiver and you've got the perfect package

Magicme
21/11/2007, 8:16 AM
I would prob enjoy the Wii and when I win the lottery tonight there will be a Wii, xbox 360 and 3 PS3 bought. Also converting the garage into a games room with a bed loft so Dylan can move out there when he is 16.

anto1208
21/11/2007, 8:42 AM
Super Mario Galaxy and Matroid Prime are the two best reviewed games of the year. Resident Evil for the wii is supposedly the best RE ever

Add in the usual sports titles available on every other platform, internet browsing and the ability to buy classic game for as little as a fiver and you've got the perfect package

PS3 can do all that stuff but the games start at free and go up to 20euro ( you can download full PS3 games for 20 to 30, old PS1 and classic games from 3 up .

But mainly what you want from a next gen console is next gen graphic and the PS3 is miles ahead of the wii , you can also shake the controller around the same way as the wii to controll the games. And online 32 player multiplayer battles.

If i got a Wii for under 200 id get it but there is no point limiting your self to one

Dodge
21/11/2007, 9:15 AM
But mainly what you want from a next gen console is next gen graphic
Really? What I want is decent game play. Graphics aren't a selling point for me. Thye are for you but don't presume everyone's the same

If i got a Wii for under 200 id get it but there is no point limiting your self to one
I thought you said if somebopdy bought one they let it gather dust? And only complete nerds and people with too much money have more than one current games system

anto1208
21/11/2007, 10:33 AM
Really? What I want is decent game play. Graphics aren't a selling point for me. Thye are for you but don't presume everyone's the same

I thought you said if somebopdy bought one they let it gather dust? And only complete nerds and people with too much money have more than one current games system

In that case get a comadore 64 loads of games with great gameplay.
I like great game play with great graphics thats why a wii doesnt do it for me

Yea it would that s why i wouldnt spend over 200 quid on it and guess that makes me a complete nerd with too much money , what about people that have Wii's and a PC ?? are they even bigger nerds with even more money to waste since a PC is far more expensive and they are on it so often that they become mods on forums ??? what about those people

Magicme
21/11/2007, 10:42 AM
Children children, behave or will confiscate the Wii & the PS3 from you.*

*said in her cross mammy voice*

Dodge
21/11/2007, 10:45 AM
what about people that have Wii's and a PC ?? are they even bigger nerds with even more money to waste since a PC is far more expensive and they are on it so often that they become mods on forums ??? what about those people

Not bigger nerds but still nerds none the less

anto1208
21/11/2007, 11:14 AM
Children children, behave or will confiscate the Wii & the PS3 from you.*

*said in her cross mammy voice*

:D

Its ok where only messing anyway , wanna be some nerds to get in a console arguement ;)

Magicme
21/11/2007, 11:26 AM
Dam was hoping to make my children's christmas and hand them both consoles that had gotten for free!

Magicme
29/11/2007, 5:23 PM
Does anyone know if the Gameboy Advance games from America would work here too?

Magicme
29/11/2007, 6:05 PM
Its ok found out that they are not zone specific! Yeah!

Getting 3 gameboy advance games for $25 for the young fella!