PDA

View Full Version : World Cup draw

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Colbert Report
19/11/2007, 9:59 PM
When is it?
How many groups are there going to be?
How does the seeding work? What seed will we be?
How many qualify? Group winners, then winners of a playoff between the runners-up?
Where can one follow it online?

kingdomkerry
19/11/2007, 10:11 PM
World Cup 2010 draw to take place in Durban next November http://www.worldcup2010southafrica.com/templates/jw_inetgazette/images/pdf_button.png (http://www.worldcup2010southafrica.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=408) http://www.worldcup2010southafrica.com/templates/jw_inetgazette/images/printButton.png (http://www.worldcup2010southafrica.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=408&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=92) http://www.worldcup2010southafrica.com/templates/jw_inetgazette/images/emailButton.png (http://www.worldcup2010southafrica.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=emailform&id=408&itemid=92) Thursday, 14 December 2006 http://www.worldcup2010southafrica.com/images/stories/blatter-2010-draw.jpg The draw for the qualifying round of the 2010 World Cup will take place in Durban, it was confirmed yesterday, on November 25th and broadcast live to 200 countries.
The press briefing yesterday, fronted by LOC Chairman Irvin Khoza also confirmed that from November 27th next year Durban will play host to a series of meetings by officials from the world governing body FIFA to discuss preparations for the tournament.
Khoza confirmed that as well as FIFA representatives, national team coaches are expected to attend the event in Durban.
In other news from yesterday, Cape Town was warned that it would be deprived of a role in the 2010 World Cup if it delays the construction of a new stadium. "The LOC will not tolerate any delay. If there is any delay in Cape Town, Cape Town is out," Khoza said.
Green Point residents are considering legal action as the planned new stadium is to be built on municipal football pitches and a public golf course while the existing stadium in Green Point, remains.
The real threat to Cape Town is that if development doesn't begin early next year there is every chance they could lose the matches planned for the City, including a semi-final, as FIFA are increasing the pressure on the 2010 LOC to get things under development.
Negotiations are ongoing with the Cape Town municipality and an announcement is expected later this month according to Danny Jordaan, CEO of the 2010 World Cup LOC.

ofjames
19/11/2007, 10:11 PM
When is it?
How many groups are there going to be?
How does the seeding work? What seed will we be?
How many qualify? Group winners, then winners of a playoff between the runners-up?
Where can one follow it online?

As far as i know there will be 9 groups in the european qualification section. With each group containing 5 or 6 teams, there will probably be 4 five-team groups and 5 six-team groups....something like that

The seeding is based on the current world rankings of the UEFA nations. On this basis, we will fit comfortably inside the third seed pot

All the 9 group winners qualify automatically. Unfortunately however, playoffs are back on the agenda for the teams finishing in second. Worse still, as europe has only been given 13 qualification slots, only 8 of the 9 second place teams will qualify for a playoff. The second placed team with the worse record will NOT gain a playoff spot!!

(Clearly this qualification structure is much tougher than the one that was in place for euro 2008!!)

As regards the when and the how, I'm not exactly sure. I think the draw is before christmas mind

Colbert Report
19/11/2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks lads. I'm worried though - if we finish second in a five team group, surely we'll have less points than a second placed team in a six team group? They'll have had two more matches than us to rack up points. Surely this must be taken into account. How do they decided the "best" eight of the nine runners up? It's a very subjective thing - hopefully they don't use the UEFA rankings.

If anyone knows where I can find the list of seeds, I'd love to see it. Hopefully we get a good draw.

kingdomkerry
19/11/2007, 10:20 PM
Seeding information is in 'the official seedings thread' below.

Draw is on Sunday 25th of November. Fingers crossed we get a handy draw, though knowing us we would probably do better in a tough draw!

Qwerty
19/11/2007, 10:20 PM
UEFA really needs to do a better job for it's members, Typically of the last 8, European teams make up 6 of the quarterfinalists. I don't see why under-performing zones keep getting easy groups. The U.S. basically walks into the World Cup along with Mexico.

SÓC
19/11/2007, 10:26 PM
UEFA really needs to do a better job for it's members, Typically of the last 8, European teams make up 6 of the quarterfinalists. I don't see why under-performing zones keep getting easy groups. The U.S. basically walks into the World Cup along with Mexico.

Ask yourself how Blatter gets elected...

...with goons like Jack Warner and Co back him up so these regions get the extra spots.

Have a read off Andrew Jenning's book Foul some time. Cracking read, exposes a lot of the FIFA corruption which we have witnessed personally at Cork City

Schumi
19/11/2007, 10:36 PM
if we finish second in a five team group, surely we'll have less points than a second placed team in a six team group? They'll have had two more matches than us to rack up points. Surely this must be taken into account.The results against the team that finishes bottom of a 6-team group probably won't count for deciding the worst 2nd placed team.

Superhoops
19/11/2007, 11:25 PM
As far as i know there will be 9 groups in the european qualification section. With each group containing 5 or 6 teams, there will probably be 4 five-team groups and 5 six-team groups....something like that

The seeding is based on the current world rankings of the UEFA nations. On this basis, we will fit comfortably inside the third seed pot

All the 9 group winners qualify automatically. Unfortunately however, playoffs are back on the agenda for the teams finishing in second. Worse still, as europe has only been given 13 qualification slots, only 8 of the 9 second place teams will qualify for a playoff. The second placed team with the worse record will NOT gain a playoff spot!!

(Clearly this qualification structure is much tougher than the one that was in place for euro 2008!!)

As regards the when and the how, I'm not exactly sure. I think the draw is before christmas mind

There are 53 teams in the European zone with 13 places in the finals up for grabs.

The teams will be drawn into 8 groups of 6 and 1 group of 5. The 9 group winners will qualify automatically and the best 8 runners up will be drawn in four home and away ties, with the winners of each of these ties going through to the finals.

These will be no disadvantage in being drawn in a 5 team group, as the results against the sixth seeded teams do not count in deciding the best 8 runners-up.

The draw takes place next Sunday afternoon, 25th November, in Durban, starting 3pm our time. The seedings will be based on the latest FIFA rankings which will be published on 23rd November.

Using the October rankings the seedings would be:
First Seeds: Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Croatia and England
Second Seeds: Romania, Scotland, Greece, Russia, Poland, Norway, Ukraine, Sweden and Serbia.
Third Seeds: Turkey, Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Bulgaria, Northern Ireland, Israel, Switzerland, Finland and Hungary,
Fourth Seeds: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovakia, Belgium, Cyprus, Wales, Moldova, Albania, Georgia and FYR Macedonia.
Fifth Seeds: Slovenia, Iceland, Armenia, Latvia, Austria, Lithuania, Belarus, Azerbiajan and Liechtenstein
Sixth Seeds: Kazakhstan, Estonia, Malta, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Andorra, Faroe Islands and Andorra

From a footballing point of view, I would be happy with:
Czech Republic or Croatia
Romania or Norway
Wales or Albania
Liechtenstein or Lithuania
Any of the sixth seeds bar Estonia.

tricky_colour
20/11/2007, 12:40 AM
First Seeds: Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Croatia and England
Second Seeds: Romania, Scotland, Greece, Russia, Poland, Norway, Ukraine, Sweden and Serbia.
Third Seeds: Turkey, Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Bulgaria, Northern Ireland, Israel, Switzerland, Finland and Hungary,
Fourth Seeds: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovakia, Belgium, Cyprus, Wales, Moldova, Albania, Georgia and FYR Macedonia.
Fifth Seeds: Slovenia, Iceland, Armenia, Latvia, Austria, Lithuania, Belarus, Azerbiajan and Liechtenstein
Sixth Seeds: Kazakhstan, Estonia, Malta, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Andorra, Faroe Islands and Andorra

You can see how unlucky we were for Euro 2008 we had two first seeds in our group. (two other groups, Englands and Scotlands also had two first seeds in them).

Anyway I am very happy with the groups, none of the second seeds really scare me too much, would rather avoid Romania and Russia though.
England Croatia or Portugal would be easier first seeds. I think we could get the easiest group for a long time.

As long as we avoid Cyprus we will qualify :D :rolleyes:

danonion
20/11/2007, 1:27 AM
Montenegro as bottom seeds would be a disaster IMO

danonion
20/11/2007, 5:01 AM
I'm disappointed we can't draw the wee north

RogerMilla
20/11/2007, 6:56 AM
Montenegro as bottom seeds would be a disaster IMO

agreed

RogerMilla
20/11/2007, 6:57 AM

I'm not !

drinkfeckarse
20/11/2007, 7:45 AM
I'd be happy with:

Czech Republic
Ukraine, Norway or Scotland
Albania
Liechtenstein
Andorra

McShels
20/11/2007, 7:50 AM
My preferred choice

England, Scotland, Wales, Lichtenstein, Andorra.

Easy group for us!!!!!!!!

elroy
20/11/2007, 8:47 AM
agreed

Well considering how well we despatched San marino earlier this year, we shoult hope to avoid them. No but seriously montenegro would not be good. The group with liecht as the fifth seeds will probably be the group that the top two finish with the highest points out of all the groups.

shakermaker1982
20/11/2007, 11:27 AM
The group of death would look something along these lines IMO........

Italy
Sweden/Poland
Ireland
Slovakia
Slovenia
Montenegro

The group of life (get booking your tickets for South Africa.....if only!!!)

Croatia
Norway
Ireland
Albania
Liechtenstein
San Marino

Wolfie
20/11/2007, 12:35 PM
The group of death would look something along these lines IMO........

Italy
Sweden/Poland
Ireland
Slovakia
Slovenia
Montenegro

The group of life (get booking your tickets for South Africa.....if only!!!)

Croatia
Norway
Ireland
Albania
Liechtenstein
San Marino

I think we'd struggle in the group of life such is our current malaise.

EalingGreen
20/11/2007, 12:48 PM

I'm not - but only because of all the political crap and knuckle-draggers it would attract out from under their stones.

On thr playing front, you might beat us in Croke, but I'd put my mortgage on our winning at Fortress Windsor! ;)

EalingGreen
20/11/2007, 12:53 PM
My preferred choice

England, Scotland, Wales, Lichtenstein, Andorra.

Easy group for us!!!!!!!!

Trust me, you do NOT want Liechtenstein. Although we beat them 4-1 and 3-1, both games were much harder than the score suggests. In fact, had it not been for Healy being especially inspired (5 goals), we might even have dropped a couple of points to them, to go with the points they took off Iceland and Latvia.

It won't be coincidence if they just make Pot 5, since they're the best of the "minnows" (imo).

Dodge
20/11/2007, 12:56 PM
I'd put my mortgage on our winning at Fortress Windsor! ;)

I'd bet my mortgage too on pretty much any fictitious game you like.

Keep it on topic about the draw, or potential draw, and lets not drag another topic into North v Republic

geysir
20/11/2007, 12:56 PM
I wouldn´t want the Italians, England would be just perfect.
Strong 4, 5 and 6th seeds make a group very interesting

Did anyone watch the 2001 Estonia Holland game live on teletext?
If you did there is no need to ask if you remember it.

ifk101
20/11/2007, 1:02 PM
My preference would be;

Czech Republic,
Norway,
Wales,
Liechtenstein,
Andorra.

Easy :)

Stuttgart88
20/11/2007, 1:02 PM
Did anyone watch the 2001 Estonia Holland game live on teletext?.

That was the same day as we drew 1-1 at home to Portugal I think.

I took my Mrs Stuttgart to that game and she loved it. What she didn't love was the 8 hours talking about it in Bellamy's afterwards with my mate's WAP phone on the table updating us on the Estonia game. 2 very late goals for Holland in a 4-2 win??

geysir
20/11/2007, 1:10 PM
Close enough except that it was 3 very late goals.
Watching it on teletext, it was stuck on 2-1 for about 10 minutes after scheduled finish but still waiting for the magic letters FT to appear next to the scoreline.
Then came a page refresh with the 3 goals for the Netherlands 86 89 and 91 mins.

RogerMilla
20/11/2007, 1:15 PM
with my mate's WAP phone
your mate had WAP in 2001 ????

Stuttgart88
20/11/2007, 1:21 PM
Yep, it was deemed very progressive at the time.

IsMiseSean
20/11/2007, 1:42 PM
Is the draw on TV?

Danny
20/11/2007, 1:51 PM
Live on UTV/ITV and Sky Sports News according to this

http://www.liveonsat.com/foot_intl_any.php?start_dd=20&start_mm=11&start_yyyy=2007&end_dd=07&end_mm=02&end_yyyy=2008

shedite
20/11/2007, 4:04 PM
Using the October rankings the seedings would be:

Where are San Marino gone to?

EalingGreen
20/11/2007, 4:10 PM

I think they're masquerading as Andorra in Pool Six:

Perhpas they're hoping to sneak up on the ROI again? ;)

Superhoops
20/11/2007, 5:00 PM

After February was hoping they had disappeared :eek: but as Ealing Green pointed out they are masquerading as 'and Andorra' :o Good spot!

mypost
20/11/2007, 5:03 PM
The Pispot: :(

Croatia,
Ukraine,
Georgia,
Azerbaijan,
Kazachstan.

For travelling reasons obviously.

tricky_colour
20/11/2007, 7:28 PM
The Pispot: :(

Croatia,
Ukraine,
Georgia,
Azerbaijan,
Kazachstan.

For travelling reasons obviously.

The prostitutes are cheap though ;)

Fergie's Son
20/11/2007, 7:41 PM
Sort of hoping for the Italians just for the journey.

England would be an interesting draw, again for the travel.

Cymro
20/11/2007, 7:42 PM
I'm glad the 6 team format with play offs is back. It does offer medium-sized teams (of which Wales are one) a better chance to qualify than over a longer campaign where injuries and suspensions take their toll.

kingdomkerry
20/11/2007, 11:02 PM

For the holidays :cool:

Spain
Greece
Cyprus
Austria
Malta

Easiest

Czech Rep
Swedan
Albania
Leichtenstein
Andorra

Interesting

England
Scotland
Wales
Iceland
Faroe Islands

mypost
21/11/2007, 3:21 AM
I'm glad the 6 team format with play offs is back. It does offer medium-sized teams (of which Wales are one) a better chance to qualify than over a longer campaign where injuries and suspensions take their toll.

I think most people hate play-offs. We excel at reaching, if not qualifying from play-offs. If we get there, you're talking about another 12-match campaign. It seems unfair that a whole qualifiying campaign comes down to how you get on in a play-off.

And besides, when did Wales ever qualify for anything?? :confused:;)

The Jackpot: :)

Germany,
Greece,
Bosnia-Herzegovina,
Liechtenstein
Malta

Green Tribe
21/11/2007, 10:56 AM
I have had a quick look but I can't see a time for this, does anyone know...I am guessing it might be around noon here seeing the draw is in saaf afika.

RogerMilla
21/11/2007, 11:00 AM
I am guessing it might be around noon here seeing the draw is in saaf afika.

how do you figure that GT , no way they would have a draw that early surely ? the lion king dancers would be kicking off after breakfast at that rate!

paul_oshea
21/11/2007, 11:00 AM
did someone say we are definitely 3rd pot?

Green Tribe
21/11/2007, 11:20 AM
how do you figure that GT , no way they would have a draw that early surely ? the lion king dancers would be kicking off after breakfast at that rate!

Maybe, but they are about 2-3 hours ahead I think. I seriously cannot wait til the draw, feeling all nervous and excited at the same time :eek::D

Dodge
21/11/2007, 11:46 AM
did someone say we are definitely 3rd pot?

The pots are listed on the first page of this thread

Cymro
21/11/2007, 11:52 AM
I think most people hate play-offs. We excel at reaching, if not qualifying from play-offs. If we get there, you're talking about another 12-match campaign. It seems unfair that a whole qualifiying campaign comes down to how you get on in a play-off.

And besides, when did Wales ever qualify for anything?? :confused:;)

1958. ;)

The thing isn't necessarily qualifying from the play-offs, but just reaching them gives you a chance and some sense of achievement from the campaign. Even when we lost to Russia 2 campaigns ago I was gutted but proud of what we had achieved. But we'd never achieve that in a 7 or 8 team group because the consistency wouldn't be there, injuries and suspensions would take their toll too.

shakermaker1982
21/11/2007, 11:54 AM
good result for your boys last night Cymro, surely Toshack can blood a few of those youngsters in the next campaign? If we had beaten France 4-2 last night at that level this place would be in meltdown :)

Cymro
21/11/2007, 11:57 AM
Future looks quite good to be fair, but those players won't all make it at senior international level. Hopefully they all get a good start in their club careers though and 3 or 4 will graduate to become proper senior internationals.

Green Tribe
21/11/2007, 4:14 PM
Word on the street it is at 4pm our time

Superhoops
21/11/2007, 4:35 PM
Word on the street it is at 4pm our time

The draw takes place next Sunday afternoon, 25th November, in Durban, starting 4pm (CET), 3pm our time. The seedings will be based on the latest FIFA rankings which will be published on 23rd November.

Green Tribe
21/11/2007, 6:14 PM
The draw takes place next Sunday afternoon, 25th November, in Durban, starting 4pm (CET), 3pm our time. The seedings will be based on the latest FIFA rankings which will be published on 23rd November.

Thanks for the confirmed time, now I need to plan my Sunday afternoon :D