PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hunt: Is his hairstyle hampering his career?

lopez
19/11/2007, 9:40 AM
He's the most exciting player I've seen for Ireland in years. I counted at least twice on Saturday where he lost the ball to a defender then won it back (a forward winning back the ball from a defender? :eek: ). If the other players had this commitment, we'd have qualified.

However, it's his hair that I'm concerned about. I couldn't take him seriously before I saw him play. Can this man get on without Tranny and Whosanna getting the scissors out on him? Or would this not be an issue if he was Argentinian, as then it woudl be par for the course that he'd have such bad hair?

BTW:I'm bald as a coot, so I'm not having a go for the sake of it. :o :(

Schlooooomp
19/11/2007, 10:22 AM
As somebody who is currently in the middle of growing an outrageous mullet, I think it is class.

Maybe if we get a disciplinarian coach like Daniel Passarella he will try to make Hunty cut it, like the rumour that did the rounds about leaving out Fernando Redondo from the Argie squad for not having a a nice short, back and sides.

I think that Hunt is like Samson, he will lose all his powers if he cuts his hair :D:D:D

citizenerased
19/11/2007, 12:16 PM
who really cares about his hair style..he was immense when he came on...lifted the team and the crowd, nothing better than seeing commitment and courage like that..he is a fans hero....
'Huntys goin to get ya'!

amaccann
19/11/2007, 12:25 PM
Methinks Hunt has already got the reputation as a super-sub & I doubt that will change, bar some good 90 minutes in the green shirt.

theworm2345
19/11/2007, 12:26 PM
He certainly needs to cut his hair but I don't think its hampering his career

Sligo Hornet
19/11/2007, 12:28 PM
He certainly needs to cut his hair but I don't think its hampering his career

yeah, sure he's only growing it long to wind up Stephen Ireland!;)

Maroon 7
19/11/2007, 12:46 PM
It's some head of hair alright. He could have a nest of sparrows hiding in there somewhere.

elroy
19/11/2007, 1:55 PM
Methinks Hunt has already got the reputation as a super-sub & I doubt that will change, bar some good 90 minutes in the green shirt.

I agree, judging by his performances in the green so far, it does appear that he is most effective coming on as a sub around the hour mark. Both wales games and the czech game, when he came on, he made a marked difference. He was ineffective when he started against cyprus but then all of them were that night.

Stuttgart88
19/11/2007, 1:59 PM
See concurrent thread on brother Noel, with short hair and not an international. Enough said.

Bondvillain
19/11/2007, 2:41 PM
Aye, the Hunt/Samson paradox :

Nifty, with tidy & grandmother-approved haircut = Admired, but no International call up

Nifty, with Bizarro Leo Sayer on Acid Microphone-head vibe goin' on = Subersub of Cult status.

I shall spend till teatime on the Thesis. Copies available from ebay tomorrow via instant download.

RogerMilla
19/11/2007, 2:45 PM
this hairstyle is defintely a plus , i mean look at joe lapira!

eirebhoy
19/11/2007, 5:00 PM
I couldn't take him seriously before I saw him play.
tbh if we took him seriously he probably wouldn't be putting in the performances. It's the crowd that really seems to get him going and who doesn't have a smile on their face watching Hunt?

amaccann
19/11/2007, 5:51 PM
tbh if we took him seriously he probably wouldn't be putting in the performances. It's the crowd that really seems to get him going and who doesn't have a smile on their face watching Hunt?
Do you know what he is? Fun to watch. Sure, he's not the most technically gifted Irish player in the current squad (though he does have some skill, unlike other tryers like Kilbane), but he has a certain zestiness in his play that's great entertainment to watch.

Stuttgart88
19/11/2007, 7:54 PM
I think he injects tempo too and his attitude rubs off on the other players.

carloz
19/11/2007, 7:56 PM
I think people are getting a tad bit carried away. Yes he did excellent for the second goal and was great at closing down the Welsh defenders. But a few times he ran like a headless chicken and often icked the wrong option. Still probably the best use of a sub since Matty Holland came on and scored in Portugal back in 2001

amaccann
19/11/2007, 8:54 PM
I think people are getting a tad bit carried away. Yes he did excellent for the second goal and was great at closing down the Welsh defenders. But a few times he ran like a headless chicken and often icked the wrong option. Still probably the best use of a sub since Matty Holland came on and scored in Portugal back in 2001
how many chickens do you know with hair like that? ;)

Student Mullet
19/11/2007, 9:25 PM
If the hair starts getting in his way he can trim it at the top but keep it long at the back.

Sligo Hornet
20/11/2007, 8:33 AM
If the hair starts getting in his way he can trim it at the top but keep it long at the back.

And you should know more than anyone else!.....Mullet;)

CJTheGull
20/11/2007, 8:37 AM
We've had our fair share of afros and mullets down throught the ages - the RTÉ studio boys of Giles, Dunphy and espically Brady in their day had almost bigger hair than Hunt so in my eyes he's basically caring on a great Irish tradition. I feel sorry for Lee Carsley though. ;)

Sligo Hornet
20/11/2007, 8:59 AM
We've had our fair share of afros and mullets down throught the ages - the RTÉ studio boys of Giles, Dunphy and espically Brady in their day had almost bigger hair than Hunt so in my eyes he's basically caring on a great Irish tradition. I feel sorry for Lee Carsley though. ;)

You would think Stephen Ireland would help him out with one of his old "they'll never guess it's a wig" cast offs;)