PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers/writers

superfrank
17/11/2007, 12:24 PM
As a journalism student, it's of interest to me to find out what papers people are reading and what writers they like.

Personally, it's The Irish Times. Great paper to read and quite decent coverage of the el on Saturdays. It's by far and away the best paper on sale in Ireland. I do like to read El Pais to brush up on my Spanish every now and again. I've bought The Daily Mail once, when they had the free Prince album. I only ever read tanloids when they're lying around and that's when I'm reminded why I never buy thme in the first place.

My favourite writer is Paddy Agnew. As an Italian football enthusiast, it's great that The Irish Times have someone who actually knows about current Italian football and not rely on the RTÉ method of getting their "expert" knowledge from someone who only ever sees Italian teams in the CL and spins out old clichés.

I like Emmet Malone too. His coverage of the el is well researched and he tends to give more time to the el in his articles then other football.

The one problem I have with The Irish Times is their "Year on Wear" column. :mad:

osarusan
17/11/2007, 1:26 PM
Irish times is by far the best newspaper.

But I'd disagree that they have good eL coverage. Sometimes they don't (didn't) even print first division results.

Check out William Pfaff (http://williampfaff.com/). A very good journalist for The International Herald tribune.

Tabloids are fine if taken for what they are, which is silly trash. Sadly they seem to hold far more influence than they should.

And the worst newspaper is whatever one Cathal Dervin spews his bile at.

Bottle of Tonic
17/11/2007, 1:28 PM
I haven't bought a paper regularly in ages but used to get the Sunday Times just for AA Gills restraunt review. Anyone who knows it will know it isn't really a review, just a cleverly constructed piece on whatver subject he feels like eventually ending up in a sentence or two on the food. Looking back I suppose it was quite bizzare ripping open the plastic and sifting through the massive hulk of paper and supplements to find the Style section, then leafing through that till I found the Gill piece about 3/4 way in, before I read anything else in the paper.

The Good Son
17/11/2007, 1:38 PM
The one problem I have with The Irish Times is their "Year on Wear" column. :mad:

I think that "Year On Wear" column isn't the worst. Ok, it's a bit ridiculous that all of a sudden there's a column in an Irish daily dedicated to Sunderland, but it's not a bad column in its own right, he writes good stuff on the non football side of things in my opinion.

superfrank
17/11/2007, 1:41 PM
I think that "Year On Wear" column isn't the worst. Ok, it's a bit ridiculous that all of a sudden there's a column in an Irish daily dedicated to Sunderland, but it's not a bad column in its own right, he writes good stuff on the non football side of things in my opinion.
In all honesty, it's the idea that puts me off.

The Good Son
17/11/2007, 1:47 PM
In all honesty, it's the idea that puts me off.

I'd agree completely, the whole idea is all a bit sad, but if you can get all the 'Irish'/Sunderland connection out of your head while reading it (I know that's hard) it's not a bad column.

Anto McC
17/11/2007, 3:24 PM
The Irish Times is the best paper in the country, although i don't buy it that much because i rarely get the chance to sit and read it. I hate anything the Independant group produces but i do find Ian O'Dohertys articles to be interesting.

jebus
17/11/2007, 3:42 PM
I make sure to read the Irish Times, the Mirror and the Guardian on a daily basis during the week. At weekends I pick up a copy of the Sunday Times and the Mirror on Saturdays. I generally find that the standard of journalism drops in every paper on Saturdays and Sundays, although I'm at a loss to explain why.

As for writers, well Emmet Malone and Paddy Agnew as mentioned, Sally Howard and Ben Goldacre are among a few of my favourites in the Guardian (honesdtly and shamefully can't remember some of their names), and Brian Reade in the Mirror has a great Saturday sports column. Steve Bell's cartoons in the Guardian make me laugh every day they are printed as well so deserve a mention.

kingdom hoop
18/11/2007, 3:41 PM
Irish times is by far the best newspaper.

Of that there can be no doubt. Do you have an online subscription osarusan? I can send you details if not. Couldn't have you missing out!

It's always been the Times for me since my parents switched from the Independent when my mother took umbrage at, I think, something or other to do with Veronica Guerin. One of the best decisions she ever made!

I share your appreciation of Paddy Agnew Superfrank, one of the highlights of my week used to be coming home after school on a Tuesday to read his World Football column! Overall the standard of journalism, particularly sport, is brilliant in the Times. I love Tom Humphries, not for the content so much as for his style of writing. When he's on form the language is really evocative, free flowing and a joy to read. Anyone know a better (as in colourful/evocative) writer than he? And that's excluding Bluebeard now.

I thoroughly enjoy Keith Duggan as well, very funny at times. John O'Sullivan, Emmet Malone, Johnny Watterson, Phillip Reid, Gerry Thornley and Seán Moran are also all very accomplished professionals, eloquent and, bar Moran, inject a bit of their personality to liven an article. New kid on the block Gavin Cummisky also seems to have the making of a fine contributor, whilst columnist George Kimball always arouses my interest with his insightful offerings on those crazy Americans.

Outside of sport the other writers are always worth reading too, Frank McNally is outstanding, then the likes of Vincent Browne, John Waters (anyone read his excellent article recently on Ireland's pathological boozing?) are usually worth a look, and Charles Krauthammer (if that is his real name) is very good too. It would be remiss of me not to mention the late great Weather Eye, Brendan McWilliams, who passed away very recently. As a lover of all things geographic his daily article was always eagerly anticipated. He had boundless knowledge and the necessary wit to always make the article a pleasure to read. If anyone here is thinking of getting me a Christmas present then if you could somehow procure a Complete Amalgamated Works I would jump for joy. (I should maybe drop Geraldine K a line about that idea actually.) The Times really is the Holy Grail for Irish journalists, at least it would be if (or perhaps when!*) I were a journalist. We're lucky to have a newspaper as good for a country of our size.

*I actually did toy with the idea of setting sail on a career as a sports journalist for a while, but while the writing aspect appealed to me I figured I'd have to know something about sport first. I'm still waiting for any progress there. :D

Elsewhere in newspaper land, I like to occasionally, maybe twice a month or so, buy the Wall Street Journal, partly so that I look cool, and partly because it's an excellent publication. Though one thing about it, and American syntax generally, really annoys me. Example; Kingdom Hoop announced Sunday that he hates that there's no 'on' before Sunday in his example. Revolting. Can anyone shed any light on why they do that?

**** now that I think of it I also got very upset about a newspaper (the strangest things upset me!) last Sunday. The Sunday Business Post was in my house for some reason or other so I said I'd have a quick look at it. Reading the headline piece, I became quite agitated when I noticed that an obvious word was left out of a saying, something as obvious as, say, 'that player is (______) to none in his position'. Then, turning to the back page as one does on a quick flick of a paper, my agitation increased when there was another glaring error. The preposterousness of the scenario was perhaps explained, however, when on a visit to my local shop yesterday evening at about 7 p.m. (!) I noticed a stack of SBPs looking just a little too sweaty and sketchy, no doubt excited they'd breached security checks again this week and arrived at their destination much too early for their own good. Reminded me a bit of Pete's posts here, some mad guess-the-missing-word challenge. :p

Footnote; God I almost forgot to mention that my aunt in law writes for the Times! Never thought of that leg in the door I'd have when contemplating my aspiring journalism career! We don't care for her though - she's one of those conniving journalists that is liable to (and indeed has) regurgitate what you said at Sunday supper in her next article. Big no-no in a trusting family environment. Tut tut, my not so beloved auntie.

snookerloopy
18/11/2007, 5:20 PM
has the legend that is tom humphries been forgotten about.easily the best sports writer around.times on a monday is worth it for his column alone

kingdom hoop
18/11/2007, 5:26 PM
has the legend that is tom humphries been forgotten about.

:eek: :confused:

I love Tom Humphries....Anyone know a better (as in colourful/evocative) writer than he?....

Should I maybe have a 'please read my post' request at the start of all my posts? :p

snookerloopy
18/11/2007, 6:43 PM
:eek: :confused:

Should I maybe have a 'please read my post' request at the start of all my posts? :p
too hungover to read it all just scanned it.

CollegeTillIDie
18/11/2007, 8:52 PM
As a newspaper the Irish Times is no. 1
As an ELOI coverage it's the worst. Zero coverage of the First Division most of the time.
No room when all the stuff lifted from the Guardian is put in there.
Mr. Malachy Logan ,Sports Editor of the Irish Times please note... IF I WANT TO READ THE GUARDIAN I'LL BUY THE SHAGGING GUARDIAN, NOT AN OVERPRICED ''IRISH '' REGURGITATION OF SAME.

Macy
19/11/2007, 9:11 AM
has the legend that is tom humphries been forgotten about.easily the best sports writer around.
Too caught up in his own prejudices imo - see his "work" on Tallaght for examples.

Irish Times easily the best of the daily's. Used to buy the Tribune every Sunday, but it's rubbish now even compared to 5 or 6 years ago, never mind in it's heyday which I'm too young to remember. Last time I brought a Sunday paper to last me through the day I held back the vomit and brought The Sunday Times as they didn't have The Observer.

If I was buying a UK paper, it would be The Guardian/ The Observer. Best of a very bad bunch of the tabloids is The Star - more Irish than the rest put together.

I really can't bring myself to buy the Mail, despite Frank Connolly and Joe Higgins. Can't really believe they're working for such a paper, unless it's vastly different to the UK version?

Wouldn't touch any of the INM stable at all. It was tough to touch the Tribune in the past before it was truely subsumed into the group. Indo, Sindo, Herald all brutal papers. Won't even take a free Herald AM.

osarusan
19/11/2007, 10:22 AM
Which broadsheet has the highest circulation?

Which tabloid has the highest circulation?

gustavo
19/11/2007, 10:38 AM
I'd guess the Independent and the Star or the Sun respectively

EDIT

heres some figures
http://www.finfacts.ie/finfactsblog/2007/03/irish-newspaper-readership-2007.html

Dodge
19/11/2007, 10:43 AM

Which category does the Indo go into? I'll admit to buying it on the odd monday for the 80 minute bus journey into work. Not proud of it but the tabloid sized paper is handy and it lasts longer than the Star

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2007, 11:54 AM
Dodge

Do the crosswords in The Star. There's a sports quiz Cross word for starters :D

inexile
19/11/2007, 4:54 PM
i tend to buy a different paper every day, the herald on monday for the fixtures and junior soccer section mainly, the star on a tuesday for target, the independant or the times mainly after that and the times on a sunday.

i like gerry thornley in the times, billy keane in the independant as well find him very amusing.

cheifo
19/11/2007, 6:06 PM
I saw Ian Doherty on the late late show Friday night and God he is insufferable.You get the impression he would love to be somebody like Hunter S thompson but unfortunately he would'nt know wit if it hit him with a fridge.
I miss Jeffrey Barnard,now he was funny.:D

Suprised everybody loves the Irish Times journos so much.Dont get me wrong
they are good but a bit too prissy to be entertaining IMHO.Surprised Con Houlihan has'nt been mentioned,he the man.I am reading Jimmy Breslin at the moment and would recommend it if you like that sort of thing.

OneRedArmy
19/11/2007, 6:09 PM
Read the IT Monday to Sat if I'm in Ireland and take the Guardian if I'm in Engerland.

On Sunday its the Turbine and the Business Post.

In terms of sports journos Duggan is streets ahead of Humphries for me. Humphries disappeared up his rectum a long time ago (IMO) and his repeated propensity for 500 words of navel gazing, alternating with a piece on Dublin hurling (one and the same to me) do nothing for me.

5 years ago I would have agreed he was genuinely cutting edge but nowadays the key message that comes across in his writing is that he simply punching the clock.

Malone is decent enough, as is Thornley, but more as recorders of event, rather than feature writers.

monutdfc
20/11/2007, 8:05 AM
In terms of sports journos Duggan is streets ahead of Humphries for me. Humphries disappeared up his rectum a long time ago (IMO) and his repeated propensity for 500 words of navel gazing, alternating with a piece on Dublin hurling (one and the same to me) do nothing for me.

5 years ago I would have agreed he was genuinely cutting edge but nowadays the key message that comes across in his writing is that he simply punching the clock.

Agree 100% on Humphries. He tries so hard to be the new Con Houlihan - his column is now an amalgam of ridiculous metaphors.

Irish Times for me. The Indo has gone well downhill in the last couple of years. And the Sunday Independent has to be the worst rag on earth. I expect the Irish Daily Mail is as bad (in a different way) but I have never read it so cannot say so for certain.

bennocelt
20/11/2007, 8:09 AM
Can't stand the Times to be honest, nothing in it to read and I find its rubbish at sport (apart from Humphries, of course)

I dont fine that there is a decent newspaper in ireland at the moment, but I do read the Indo now and again (in desperation), and i find its worth buying on sunday just to read Shane Ross and Gene Kerrigan, and Dion Fanning can be hit or miss

I read the herald every evening cause it passes the time on the bus home, and find its football writers are not bad

The sun is rubbish but the best for horseracing, templegate is a legend!!:)

kingdom hoop
20/11/2007, 8:44 AM
Can't stand the Times to be honest, nothing in it to read

Surely you meant to say that there's nothing for you to read. :)

Meanwhile for the Irish speakers here today's (on a Tuesday for some reason?) Beocheist is pretty decent, set in Calcutta with lovely Kerry Irish. :) Opens with this pretty funny, if flippant, paragraph; Cén fáth go gcuireann na statisticí éagothroma 80 faoin gcéad/20 faoin gcéad iontas orainn? Nílim ag tagairt don fhógairt do Monster Munchies ag comhlacht idirnáisiúnta éigin. Maítear go bhfuil an táirge 80 faoin gcéad saor ó shalann.

The inequality to which she refers is that 20% of the world earn less than a $1 a day. I've very little meas on money of itself usually but god if you couldn't afford to buy the IT things would be bad. (yes, I know the Times wouldn't be for sale in such countries, tough crowd you lot.) :p

John83
20/11/2007, 10:57 AM
I read the Times and the Indo, more or less at random. I don't think the Indo is up to much but I prefer not to just read from one source - it tends to reinforce biases.

I have no time for the Herald and the tabloids. They aren't newspapers, just collections of sensational headlines and tawdry gossip. I wonder if that's a reinforced bias, or just true. :)

pete
20/11/2007, 2:45 PM
We get the IT & Indo at work so I usually glance through both. While the IT is by far the best Irish newspaper I have not read it regularly since college. I find the It the best laid out paper & they have less wire service content that other papers. The eL content is small but what is there is quality for the most part.

Sunday market is shocking in Ireland. Tribune has been muck for a few years & I would not read the Sindo if was free which leaves with the Sunday Times for Irish content & Observer the odd time.

beautifulrock
20/11/2007, 3:46 PM
Agree with the comments the the Irish Times is superior. However as I live in London it I dont get to buy it every day. And for some reason do not like the idea of paying for access to the website even though it is probably cheaper than buying the paper on a daily basis.

jebus
20/11/2007, 6:28 PM
Agree with the comments the the Irish Times is superior. However as I live in London it I dont get to buy it every day. And for some reason do not like the idea of paying for access to the website even though it is probably cheaper than buying the paper on a daily basis.

Same here, I enoy reading a newspaper the old fashioned way, online papers never capture my interest in the same way.

I'd imagine the Times outsells the Indo (if you'd call it a broadsheet. Depressingly the Sun outsells every paper (broad or tabloid) in the UK and Ireland.

Another point I'd like to make is that the English Independent have the most eye catching front covers on a daily basis

bennocelt
23/11/2007, 6:55 AM
Surely you meant to say that there's nothing for you to read. :)

yeah and for most people, hence the reason why the Inod is far and away Irelands most read newspaper
I mean the Times is a bit snobby, and Fintan O Toole and his like write for it..........
you know I always like to stand for the man on the street!;)
and not the student/d4 type!;)

I really enjoy Paul Hylands articles for the Herald

by the way............Roddy Forseyth is always an interesting read