PDA

View Full Version : Christmas

max power
16/11/2007, 10:58 PM
Ok rant time,

Some gobs on my road have thier Christmas lights etc up since Nov 1, this is a bloody joke. Lets cancel Halloween and just start Christmas after the August bank holiday weekend......should i kill them and plug out the lights ???

End of rant/murderous rage !!!!

Maz
16/11/2007, 11:00 PM
Saw a Dunnes Christmas advertisement on tv tonight.

Penneys also had Christmas wrapping paper in store end of August/Early September

max power
16/11/2007, 11:05 PM
ok business is ok.....ish but a house covered in lights with a tree in the window ion Nov 1. Come on thats just sad.

Forget ho ho ho, its no no no:o

noby
17/11/2007, 9:09 AM
While I agree, I don't see why businesses should be ok - to me it's ridiculous that the buildup starts two months in advance. As someone pointed out 1/6 of our lives is now focused towards one day.

osarusan
17/11/2007, 9:29 AM
As someone pointed out 1/6 of our lives is now focused towards one day.

I think that's what shops would like, but I don't think it is actually the case. I'd say most people are able to ignore it until December at least.

dahamsta
17/11/2007, 9:30 AM
I was thinking of banning christmas discussion on Foot.ie until at least December 1...

Dodge
17/11/2007, 10:26 AM
I think that's what shops would like, but I don't think it is actually the case. I'd say most people are able to ignore it until December at least.

Whats the situationin Japan osarusan? In the US they have the decency to wait until after thanksgiving (next Thursday)

OH and I think there's a difference between selling Christmas stuff (which is OK as people want to sopread payments etc) and the constant playing of Christmas songs in the shop (which happened when I was grocery shopping last week in Dunnes)

Risteard
17/11/2007, 12:22 PM
What are ye whinging about?
There's only 5 weeks left. Not very long at all.
Tapes in Dunnes for late-November only have every fifth or sixth song a Christmas one.
The grottos only set up in the shops this week which I'm very surprised at.
Enjoy it . . . . . . . . . he's coming.

superfrank
17/11/2007, 12:26 PM
The obvious solution would be to move Halloween back a few weeks.

osarusan
17/11/2007, 1:19 PM
Whats the situationin Japan osarusan? In the US they have the decency to wait until after thanksgiving (next Thursday)

Time-wise, about the same as it seems to be in Ireland. The odd shop has some decorations for sale, but not actually decorating the shop yet. No songs yet that I've heard, but that isn't really a big part of it over here.

The Japanese don't even have Christianity as a facade for all the spending, but that doesn't bother them. It really is just for kids here, a family with young kids will celebrate Christmas, but those with no kids, or older kids won't really. It is not a holiday here, I've worked on Christmas day, I always said "Happy Christmas" to the students, and a few looked at me confusedly for a second before it clicked that it was actually Christmas day.

New Years day is the big day here. It's far more traditional and important than Christmas.

Dodge
17/11/2007, 1:59 PM
Cheers.

tetsujin1979
17/11/2007, 3:09 PM
We have 2 Sports and Social clubs in work (long story, don't ask) One of them is having their Christmas Party on the 24th of November. Seriously.

Anto McC
17/11/2007, 3:19 PM
Ok rant time,

Some gobs on my road have thier Christmas lights etc up since Nov 1, this is a bloody joke. Lets cancel Halloween and just start Christmas after the August bank holiday weekend......should i kill them and plug out the lights ??

No, you should leave them alone and cheer the f*ck up. It's the most wonderful time of the year don't you know.

Poor Student
18/11/2007, 7:31 AM
In Slovenia Christmas isn't too important. New Year's is the big thing. Presents are actually given for New Year's as opposed to Christmas. Silly as it sounds because Christmas is a religious holiday at the root of it, Christmas is only really important to those families who are religious. Non-religious/atheist families mightn't even bother with a big dinner. I don't even think they have Santa there. I spent three Christmases there, very empty feeling. Orthodox Christmas is more lively in Ljubljana, the Serbs go mental. Hundreds if not a few thousand gather outside the Orthodox church and let off fireworks and fire flare guns.

CollegeTillIDie
18/11/2007, 7:38 AM
New Years day is the big day here. It's far more traditional and important than Christmas.

How could Christmas Day be a big deal in the land of the rising raw fish? New Year's Day being the big day makes it closer to Scotland then :D

In Continental Europe the big meal is had on the night of Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is a lot like St. Stephen's Day is in Ireland.
Stuff opens that night. Used to have a Czech girlfriend. Spent a Christmas in Prague. Went to the Ballet on the night of the 25th. As you might go to a Panto on the 26th over here. ( Oh no you wouldn't !) There are small gifts given on December 6th. That indicates if the kids have been naughty or nice . They get an Onion or a potato if they have been mainly naughty. If it's a mixed behaviour pattern they get a small treat plus either an onion or a spud. And that's Santa done for the year. Baby Jesus comes to bring gifts to Children early in the evening of December 24th and the kids cannot check on the pressies till after dinner.

onceahoop
18/11/2007, 7:58 AM
Was up in Belfast the other day. Lot's of houses with their Christmas decorations up. Happens every year up there. In Spain the big day is the 6th of January.

TonyD
19/11/2007, 12:52 PM
No, you should leave them alone and cheer the f*ck up. It's the most wonderful time of the year don't you know.

Bah. Humbug! :(

John83
19/11/2007, 12:59 PM
Some gobs on my road have thier Christmas lights etc up since Nov 1, this is a bloody joke. Lets cancel Halloween and just start Christmas after the August bank holiday weekend......should i kill them and plug out the lights ???
I can't encourage it, but if the jury consisted of me and like minded people, there'd be some danger of a Nally-style not guilty verdict.

We have 2 Sports and Social clubs in work (long story, don't ask) One of them is having their Christmas Party on the 24th of November. Seriously.
My little brother has his work Christmas party on Saturday.

Sligo Hornet
19/11/2007, 3:18 PM

Perhaps it is because it was fully booked for Christmas

Kingdom
19/11/2007, 11:15 PM
Ok rant time,

End of rant/murderous rage !!!!

Max I think I know this house! Is it on the road where the shopping centre was supposed to be built? AFAIK they ask people for donations to come round the garden and then present the money to Laois Hospice I think?

drinkfeckarse
20/11/2007, 10:10 AM
That might change things a little if it is but otherwise November 1st is a joke to be putting decorations up in a house IMO.

I personally think 2 weeks before Christmas is enough but if I saw decorations up anytime in December I'd be ok with that too.

Magicme
20/11/2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah I dont put up our decorations until the sat 2 weeks b4 christmas. Hate them up too long.

max power
20/11/2007, 12:59 PM
Max I think I know this house! Is it on the road where the shopping centre was supposed to be built? AFAIK they ask people for donations to come round the garden and then present the money to Laois Hospice I think?

no they haven't started yet......but i spotted another house on that road with their tree up last week.

Wolfie
20/11/2007, 3:54 PM
Time-wise, about the same as it seems to be in Ireland. The odd shop has some decorations for sale, but not actually decorating the shop yet. No songs yet that I've heard, but that isn't really a big part of it over here.

The Japanese don't even have Christianity as a facade for all the spending, but that doesn't bother them. It really is just for kids here, a family with young kids will celebrate Christmas, but those with no kids, or older kids won't really. It is not a holiday here, I've worked on Christmas day, I always said "Happy Christmas" to the students, and a few looked at me confusedly for a second before it clicked that it was actually Christmas day.

I remember hearing a good story that illustrated Japans certain detachment from Christmas as we know it.

The story goes that a Japanese chain store once had a christmas feature that included a cross suspended from the roof with Santa Clause nailed to it :D :D