PDA

View Full Version : A winter of confusion?

Poor Student
16/11/2007, 8:49 PM
I wonder are we going to see another off-season of protracted total uncertainty about our key players. This time last year we had Dicker, Kavanagh and Quigley taking a very long time to definitively settle their futures for the season just passed. There's a good few players in our squad who can leave for free (paranoid to even mention their names). Some have been linked in the media already albeit very spuriously. While I would hate to see players leave I'm afraid the decision won't be made quickly enough one way or another to allow the manager to go about building a squad next season in a timely fashion.

CollegeTillIDie
16/11/2007, 9:52 PM
Well it's very hard to make plans when players tell you in November ... ''right then I'm off'', go on trial cross channel and or further afield and return in early February with his tail between his legs not having got a gig overseas, looking to re-sign. By then most clubs have their signings in order, their wage bill calculated and their players signed up.

Poor Student
16/11/2007, 10:03 PM
Well it's very hard to make plans when players tell you in November ... ''right then I'm off'', go on trial cross channel and or further afield and return in early February with his tail between his legs not having got a gig overseas, looking to re-sign. By then most clubs have their signings in order, their wage bill calculated and their players signed up.

That's pretty much what I'm getting at. I fear we'll be left with the scraps at the table by the time we start to look at players and realise who needs replacing.

CollegeTillIDie
16/11/2007, 10:15 PM
That's pretty much what I'm getting at. I fear we'll be left with the scraps at the table by the time we start to look at players and realise who needs replacing.

Which is why we need Andy Myler now whether Sammo jumps ship or not.
Sammo has shown not only can he not score for UCD and he can also not score at international level too :D

Colie
17/11/2007, 9:07 AM
Sammo has shown not only can he not score for UCD and he can also not score at international level too :DDo the Sammo

Burnsie
18/11/2007, 2:34 PM
What's happened to Dicker in Stockport? Having featured in their early games this season, he has scarcely featured at all lately.

Poor Student
18/11/2007, 4:09 PM
What's happened to Dicker in Stockport? Having featured in their early games this season, he has scarcely featured at all lately.

Was out for a while with had ingroing toenail and lost his place.

CollegeTillIDie
18/11/2007, 8:29 PM
Well he has three options 1) try to win his place back at Stockport 2) get a transfer to another club in England or Scotland 2) Come back home with his tail between his legs so to speak.

pineapple stu
19/11/2007, 5:30 PM
Was out for a while with had ingroing toenail and lost his place.
Not sure he's back yet, although he's a long time out. He was a regular in the team, then was dropped but came on as a sub, and now there's no sign of him on the bench even. Seems an excessive dropping, particularly given their current form and the probable need to change things around.

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2007, 6:34 PM
With respect I cannot see Gary, even at his best , rescuing Stockport's season single handedly!

thegit
20/11/2007, 7:52 AM
He is still injured lads. Toe nail first, then he made an early comeback against united reserves and done his ankle in the first half of that game.

John83
20/11/2007, 10:42 AM
He is still injured lads. Toe nail first, then he made an early comeback against united reserves and done his ankle in the first half of that game.
Pity. I hope he gets fit soon.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

thegit
20/11/2007, 2:01 PM
No worries, glad to see that UCD pulled through in the end

pineapple stu
20/11/2007, 6:23 PM
While I would hate to see players leave I'm afraid the decision won't be made quickly enough one way or another to allow the manager to go about building a squad next season in a timely fashion.
While it isn't satisfactory exactly, there's not much can be done about it. If one of our top players wants to try his luck in England, then good luck to him. If he doesn't make it, he's worth re-signing. It's out of our hands entirely. You can't say that re-signing Quigley this year wasn't a welcome boost even though he was away in England most of the off season. The replacement we signed for him ended up being our second choice, which actually strengthened our squad. We probably wouldn't have signed Gregg if Quigley straight out signed a new contract.

Poor Student
20/11/2007, 7:08 PM
While it isn't satisfactory exactly, there's not much can be done about it. If one of our top players wants to try his luck in England, then good luck to him. If he doesn't make it, he's worth re-signing. It's out of our hands entirely. You can't say that re-signing Quigley this year wasn't a welcome boost even though he was away in England most of the off season. The replacement we signed for him ended up being our second choice, which actually strengthened our squad. We probably wouldn't have signed Gregg if Quigley straight out signed a new contract.

I completely agree. Just saying it's not ideal and is problematic when it comes to advance planning.

pineapple stu
20/11/2007, 8:45 PM
Hilariously (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=818821&postcount=40), the Galway fans (who of course, aren't obsessed) think this is unprofessional on our part!

Poor Student
20/11/2007, 8:47 PM
Hilariously (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=818821&postcount=40), the Galway fans (who of course, aren't obsessed) think this is unprofessional on our part!

When their players are in demand by clubs over in England I'll look forward to seeing how they deal with it.