PDA

View Full Version : Quigley and Sammo add to their U-21 caps

Poor Student
16/11/2007, 8:16 PM
Both lads played in Ireland's 1-0 defeat to Montenegro. Quigley started and Sammo came on as a sub. RTE's report says he missed a headed chance on goal in then 89th minute.;)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1116/irelandu21.html

Well done to the two for gaining more caps.

CollegeTillIDie
16/11/2007, 9:50 PM
Just the end of the replayed broadcast, Sammo missed a sitter. So looks like missing goals is nothing personal he does it in any shirt :D

Schumi
16/11/2007, 10:00 PM
More than a bit harsh, when was the last time someone scored 11 goals in a season for us (outside of first division seasons)?

CollegeTillIDie
16/11/2007, 10:16 PM
Paul Byrne got 7 League goals in a fraction of the number of League games played by Conor. Only comparing him with another UCD striker. We are talking about a team which failed to scored in six of their last seven league games here , which was main reason we were in relegation danger come to think of it .

Schumi
16/11/2007, 10:36 PM
Paul Byrne got 7 League goals in a fraction of the number of League games played by Conor. Only comparing him with another UCD striker.So we have our striker that I can remember scoring a double-figure tally of goals outside of the first division and another striker who's even better. How awful.

Colie
17/11/2007, 9:09 AM
Sammo came on as a sub.
Do the Sammo

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2007, 9:12 AM
So we have our striker that I can remember scoring a double-figure tally of goals outside of the first division and another striker who's even better. How awful.

Well if you want to look across the whole season. We won 12 games.
Problem is 5 of them were in the bloody cups!

Schumi
19/11/2007, 12:11 PM
Well if you want to look across the whole season.You're right, that's a ridiculous thing to do.

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2007, 1:12 PM
You're right, that's a ridiculous thing to do.

Well 5 of the 12 wins produced no League points so I think it might be. The League is the basic plain cake and decides where you play your football the following season. The Cups are merely icing on a cake. Icing which hid the fact that in 2007 the Cake was stale and mouldy !

pineapple stu
19/11/2007, 5:35 PM
Well 5 of the 12 wins produced no League points so I think it might be. The League is the basic plain cake and decides where you play your football the following season. The Cups are merely icing on a cake. Icing which hid the fact that in 2007 the Cake was stale and mouldy !
So are league goals now worth more than Cup goals?

Should we devise a formula whereby goals in the Cup are worth progressively more, approaching, but never reaching, one league goal as you get nearer the final?

More than a bit harsh, when was the last time someone scored 11 goals in a season for us (outside of first division seasons)?
Robbie Martin with 12 in 2001/02. :eek:

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2007, 6:35 PM
Would you rather win the Cup and be in the First Division?
I didn't think so !

Schumi
19/11/2007, 6:53 PM
Would you rather win the Cup and be in the First Division?Yes. In 10 years a cup win would be far more memorable than a year or two in the first division.

Poor Student
20/11/2007, 8:54 PM
Quigley starts and Sammo comes on as a sub again against Bulgaria. Quigley had a good game according to this thread: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=819642#post819642

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2007, 9:34 AM
Yes. In 10 years a cup win would be far more memorable than a year or two in the first division.

Playing in the UEFA Cup while in the First Division is a difficult circle to square but yes some people on here dine out on A Cup win 23 years ago they weren't even born for.

Stuttgart88
21/11/2007, 10:00 AM
Sammo missed a sitter.Did he? I thought it was Nolan who missed the header? I don't rember Sammon missing a chance but then I had had a few drinks.

Dodge
21/11/2007, 10:34 AM
Yes. In 10 years a cup win would be far more memorable than a year or two in the first division.

You'd seriously take a cup win and relegation ahead of staying up? And you accuse other clubs of being short sighted...

Schumi
21/11/2007, 12:01 PM
You'd seriously take a cup win and relegation ahead of staying up?Yes. What do Bray remember about 1999? I'm sure it's the cup win more than the relegation. As long as we come back up soon enough, and I'd be confident we would, winning the cup would come first for me. I'm sure Dundalk thought they'd come back up quickly too when they went down but I think our set-up is better equipped than most to bounce back.

I've never seen us win any trophy of consequence, with apologies to our Under-21 teams. If we were regularly winning leagues or cups, staying up would be more important than a single trophy as another chance would come around soon enough. Having won nothing in 23 years (first division, shields, Leinster senior cups and super cups don't count), a trophy would certainly come first for me.
And you accuse other clubs of being short sighted...Do I? When was this?

Dodge
21/11/2007, 12:11 PM
Yes. What do Bray remember about 1999? I'm sure it's the cup win more than the relegation.
I wouldn't presume to know what they feel. I do know that for the last few weeks Longford fans have been talking about staying up as being more important than the cup win.

Do I? When was this?
Ah all you students look alike to me

DmanDmythDledge
21/11/2007, 12:29 PM
Did he? I thought it was Nolan who missed the header? I don't rember Sammon missing a chance but then I had had a few drinks.
That's the first game he's talking about.

Schumi
21/11/2007, 1:12 PM
for the last few weeks Longford fans have been talking about staying up as being more important than the cup win.But they've won the cup twice in the last few years. I don't think I'd put a third cup win in a few years ahead of staying up, a first in a generation is different.

Dodge
21/11/2007, 1:50 PM
You're talking to a man who follows a club who haven't won the fecking thing in 46 years...

I just think that the long term success of the club would be better served by playing in the Premier league than by winning the cup and getting relegated.

Schumi
21/11/2007, 2:03 PM
You're talking to a man who follows a club who haven't won the fecking thing in 46 years...Pats have won the league several (not getting into that argument!) times in the past 10 years, we've won nothing. You've seen Pats win the league and just about stay up, which meant more?

I just think that the long term success of the club would be better served by playing in the Premier league than by winning the cup and getting relegated.It's a reasonable point but I want us to win something! Tbh, I think it boils down to the length of the stay in the first division. If we were to stay there for 10 years, I'd agree but I reckon it would only be for a year or two and in that case, the cup win would be worth to me.

Dodge
21/11/2007, 2:21 PM
Pats have won the league several (not getting into that argument!) times in the past 10 years, we've won nothing. You've seen Pats win the league and just about stay up, which meant more?
Not really the same thing as you're never going to have the choice between the two. They both meant a lot at the time.

It's a reasonable point but I want us to win something!
have you tried overspending?

John83
21/11/2007, 3:21 PM
We're just not very good at it.

pineapple stu
21/11/2007, 5:11 PM
Remind me how 1984 came about?

Not to necessarily agree with schumi (though not going to disagree either), I'm assuming he's arguing on the basis that our club structure is such that, if we go down, we'll bounce straight back up again (like we did the last time). In that case, the question becomes one of whether you would pay for a Cup win with one successful season in the First Division.

Dodge
21/11/2007, 8:01 PM
Not to necessarily agree with schumi (though not going to disagree either), I'm assuming he's arguing on the basis that our club structure is such that, if we go down, we'll bounce straight back up again (like we did the last time). In that case, the question becomes one of whether you would pay for a Cup win with one successful season in the First Division.

But structures guarentee you nothing...

Student Mullet
21/11/2007, 8:25 PM
Nor does overspending.

Dodge
21/11/2007, 9:13 PM
Of course.

Student Mullet
21/11/2007, 9:23 PM
Remind me how 1984 came about?My understanding is that the Government used the fear of an enemy to convince the population to give up their freedoms but all records of the glorious revolution have since been 'corrected'.

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2007, 9:33 PM
'' It was the 4th of April 1984 and the clocks struck thirteen'' is something close to the opening line of 1984 :D

Student Mullet
21/11/2007, 9:38 PM
'' It was the 4th of April 1984 and the clocks struck thirteen'' is something close to the opening line of 1984 :DGood joke, I wish I'd thought of it!

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2007, 9:43 PM
We don't do stupidity at UCD!:p

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2007, 9:43 PM
Nor does overspending.

it guarantees insolvency ! :D

pineapple stu
21/11/2007, 9:46 PM
Course not. It's the chance you take in this purely hypothetical situation. But it's no fluke that we bounced straight back from relegation in '03 whereas other bigger clubs like Dundalk, Harps and Shels didn't.