PDA

View Full Version : Support Stan at Welsh Game - please!

Scram
16/11/2007, 12:34 PM
Those going to the Welsh game, any chance you could show some appreciation for Stan during the game?? EDIT: i.e. by singing etc !!!

We all know what a great committed player he was and it is not his fault that Delaney threw him into the cauldron.

Continued criticism and demeaning caricatures since he left the job have been very unfair.

International career

Staunton made his debut for the Republic of Ireland in the 4-0 friendly win over Tunisia.

Staunton went to Italy with Jack Charlton's squad as the Republic of Ireland competed in their first ever FIFA World Cup finals. Staunton, the youngest member of the squad, played in every match at left back (though by now at club level he had also proved his usefulness as a central defender or midfield player) as the Republic of Ireland progressed to the quarter finals, when they were beaten by the host nation.

He also represented the Republic of Ireland at FIFA World Cup 1994 in the U.S.. Again, he played in each game as the Republic of Ireland succumbed in the second round to the Netherlands.

The Republic of Ireland failed to qualify for both Euro 96 in England and the 1998 World Cup in France, though Staunton was still selected regularly for the team.

The Republic of Ireland qualified for the 2002 World Cup held in Japan and South Korea. Coach Mick McCarthy, who had been Staunton's captain at the country's first World Cup 12 years earlier, selected him for the squad and following the departure of Roy Keane from the squad, due to a bust up with McCarthy, Staunton was appointed captain for the tournament.

Again, Staunton played in every Republic of Ireland game of the tournament, with the 1-1 group match draw against Germany on 5 June proving to be a very special occasion as it was his 100th appearance for his country. Together with Gary Breen, he formed an impressive central defensive partnership in front of Shay Given.

Ireland's competition ended once more in the second round when they lost agonisingly to Spain in a penalty shoot-out after the game had finished 1-1. Staunton announced his retirement from international football immediately afterwards after setting a national record of 102 appearances. He is the only player to have played in every single one of Ireland's 13 World Cup finals games.

On two occasions he scored directly from corner-kicks. The first of which came in a 2-0 victory over Portugal on June 7th 1992, during a US Cup game in Boston and the second came in a 3-0 defeat of Northern Ireland on March 31, 1993 during a World Cup qualifier in Dublin.

Jerry The Saint
16/11/2007, 12:37 PM
Those going to the Welsh game, any chance you could show some appreciation for Stan during the game??

We all know what a great committed player he was and it is not his fault that Delaney threw him into the cauldron.

Continued criticism and demeaning caricatures since he left the job have been very unfair.

International career

Staunton made his debut for the Republic of Ireland in the 4-0 friendly win over Tunisia.

Staunton went to Italy with Jack Charlton's squad as the Republic of Ireland competed in their first ever FIFA World Cup finals. Staunton, the youngest member of the squad, played in every match at left back (though by now at club level he had also proved his usefulness as a central defender or midfield player) as the Republic of Ireland progressed to the quarter finals, when they were beaten by the host nation.

He also represented the Republic of Ireland at FIFA World Cup 1994 in the U.S.. Again, he played in each game as the Republic of Ireland succumbed in the second round to the Netherlands.

The Republic of Ireland failed to qualify for both Euro 96 in England and the 1998 World Cup in France, though Staunton was still selected regularly for the team.

The Republic of Ireland qualified for the 2002 World Cup held in Japan and South Korea. Coach Mick McCarthy, who had been Staunton's captain at the country's first World Cup 12 years earlier, selected him for the squad and following the departure of Roy Keane from the squad, due to a bust up with McCarthy, Staunton was appointed captain for the tournament.

Again, Staunton played in every Republic of Ireland game of the tournament, with the 1-1 group match draw against Germany on 5 June proving to be a very special occasion as it was his 100th appearance for his country. Together with Gary Breen, he formed an impressive central defensive partnership in front of Shay Given.

Ireland's competition ended once more in the second round when they lost agonisingly to Spain in a penalty shoot-out after the game had finished 1-1. Staunton announced his retirement from international football immediately afterwards after setting a national record of 102 appearances. He is the only player to have played in every single one of Ireland's 13 World Cup finals games.

On two occasions he scored directly from corner-kicks. The first of which came in a 2-0 victory over Portugal on June 7th 1992, during a US Cup game in Boston and the second came in a 3-0 defeat of Northern Ireland on March 31, 1993 during a World Cup qualifier in Dublin.

Is he playing:confused: Controversial move by Don Givens.

as_i_say
16/11/2007, 12:41 PM
bizarre post of the week wha?

Scram
16/11/2007, 12:41 PM
Is he playing:confused: Controversial move by Don Givens.

Not as far as I know, but there are a lot of injuries :eek:

I don't think even Stan would have picked Stan at his age.....though he wouldn't have done much worse than some of what we had on the pitch.

But seriously Ted, if y'all could sing a few tributes or something I think it would be appropriate.

Noelys Guitar
16/11/2007, 12:44 PM
"Givens put in Straight-jacket" screams Irish Sun as Stan joins up with squad. When asked by Kevin Filth our reporter would he be in the starting 11 Stan said "you tell me".

scousedub
16/11/2007, 12:49 PM
Those going to the Welsh game, any chance you could show some appreciation for Stan during the game??

International career

I presume this is a wind up! The majority of people have spent the best part of a year calling for his head and now that he is finally gone you expect us to applaud him.

Wolfie
16/11/2007, 12:51 PM
I think we should hold a collection for poor Stan as well to supplement the 800 K he just ****ed off with!

Scram
16/11/2007, 12:53 PM
I presume this is a wind up! The majority of people have spent the best part of a year calling for his head and now that he is finally gone you expect us to applaud him.

A huge majority of Irish fans can look past Delaney's misguided appointment and appreciate Stan's great Irish career and commitment lacking in a lot of current players.

I certainly wish him only the best.

Sligo Hornet
16/11/2007, 12:58 PM
A huge majority of Irish fans can look past Delaney's misguided appointment and appreciate Stan's great Irish career and commitment lacking in a lot of current players.

I certainly wish him only the best.

We have ALREADY appreciated his fantastic playing career and commitment....he deserves NO appreciation for the woeful job he has just been dismissed from ( sorry mutual consent separation )

This thread should end up in the Rubbish asap!

Billsthoughts
16/11/2007, 1:03 PM
I would have agreed with you to an extent but to be honest....he took a rake of cash and went to gound without so much as an explanation of why he made such a balls of the national team in two years. If he paid for everyones trip to Wales and bought them all a few drinks then maybe he should get a thank you song! but he wont. total traitor who let his country down. ;)

Juanace
16/11/2007, 1:35 PM
"total traitor who let his country down. ;)"

I presume that wink means you dont believe that statement, just making sure..whatever he was he certainly was no traitor..a hero for Ireland is more accurate who never let his country down as a player and did his best as a manager.

Billsthoughts
16/11/2007, 1:42 PM
A hero for Ireland? have any you guys been unfortunate enough to ever see him play for Ireland??? he was crap.

Scram
16/11/2007, 2:44 PM
I think we should hold a collection for poor Stan as well to supplement the 800 K he just ****ed off with!

Where as any true Irish fan would have told the FAI to keep it as a contribution to a new manager :rolleyes:

It's the Muppet who offered him the contract and has done nothing for the national team you should be p!ssed off with. Just like Mary Harney paying €1.2 million to consultants, you can't balme them for taking it!

Stan remains for me a legend for his committment and attitude. I won't hold him responsible for accepting a job despite being very glad he is no longer in it.

bwagner
16/11/2007, 2:46 PM
Yea And Then Put Flowers On Cromwell's Grave In Support Of What He Did For Ireland

Scram
16/11/2007, 3:16 PM
Yea And Then Put Flowers On Cromwell's Grave In Support Of What He Did For Ireland

Get a grip :rolleyes:

Finlay Harp
16/11/2007, 6:31 PM
Scram, are you Stan in disguise???

SkStu
16/11/2007, 6:47 PM
scram, can you answer my question in the Aiden McGeady thread please?

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=813150&postcount=464

backstothewall
17/11/2007, 11:38 AM
If anyone want to pay tribute to someone at the Wales game, both sets of fans should show up in Scotland shirts. It who both sets of fans will be watching next summer, should they do it

Paddy Garcia
17/11/2007, 12:07 PM
.... and lets give a big cheer for Forrest Gump while we are at it. We can have an all round celebration of stupidity.

stojkovic
17/11/2007, 5:49 PM
Mr. Scram, do one and scram.

Are you three years old.

You want us to appreciate Stans achievements as a manager and you list his achievements as a PLAYER.

He received enough plaudits when he wore the green jersey.

As manager he received nothing because he gave NOTHING.

He was stupid enough to accept the job (if you can call 400k a year for four years being stupid) so dont put all the blame on Delaney.

The facts remain ;

Staunton as a player - legend.
Staunton as a manager - muppet who couldnt pick his nose.

Woody
17/11/2007, 6:54 PM

Are you three years old.

You want us to appreciate Stans achievements as a manager and you list his achievements as a PLAYER.

He was stupid enough to accept the job (if you can call 400k a year for four years being stupid) so dont put all the blame on Delaney.

The facts remain ;

Well said, my sentiments exactly.

I'll never forgive.

Traps Cat
17/11/2007, 9:16 PM
"Givens put in Straight-jacket" screams Irish Sun as Stan joins up with squad. When asked by Kevin Filth our reporter would he be in the starting 11 Stan said "you tell me".

Quote of the year

Scram
18/11/2007, 6:42 PM

Are you three years old.

The facts remain ;

:rolleyes:

Please try and keep up FOOL. My post asked to appreciate his achievements as a player and forget his disaster as a manager

Paddy Garcia
18/11/2007, 8:04 PM
This is still a joke thread. I had actually forgotten that this Dundalk spudhead had even been a player.

Its a scam.

Desyf
18/11/2007, 8:29 PM
This is still a joke thread. I had actually forgotten that this Dundalk spudhead had even been a player.

That comment says more about you than Stan....how can you forget something like that....???

antrimgreen
19/11/2007, 10:27 AM
Dear Stan, i sent you 2 letters now you must not have got them must of been a mix up at the post office or something, but anyway i love you stan i've even got that win against San Marino up on the wall.

Your favouite fan
Scram

tetsujin1979
19/11/2007, 11:08 AM
hee hee - http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=QnO1QWHg460

stojkovic
19/11/2007, 9:48 PM
"...youtellme@gmail.com"

fcuking priceless