PDA

View Full Version : It's started, Liam Miller is happy that Stan is gone

gwhite
16/11/2007, 12:06 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/euro2008/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=30044
I could see this coming, I reckon a few more players will admit they're not sorry he's gone. Mind you, I'm surprised Andy Reid has said Stan wasn't given a fair crack of the whip, especially after being left on the bench against the Slovaks and then having watched Gibson and Douglas coming on as subs ahead of him.

RiffRaff
16/11/2007, 12:26 PM
Miller obviously thinks the reason he was left out was for personal reasons, rather than that fact that he has consistantly proved he isnt up to playing at a high standard.

Noelys Guitar
16/11/2007, 12:32 PM
Nothing gained by slagging off Stan now.

Scram
16/11/2007, 12:38 PM
I could see this coming, I reckon a few more players will admit they're not sorry he's gone. Mind you, I'm surprised Andy Reid has said Stan wasn't given a fair crack of the whip, especially after being left on the bench against the Slovaks and then having watched Gibson and Douglas coming on as subs ahead of him.

You can see why Keane is so fond of Miller, agree with all posts on this thread. Fair play to Andy Reid (though I don't agree with him!) as he could bear a grudge as you say.

And yes Miller had an inflated opinion of himself not shared by Martin O'Neill and not supported by his play for Ireland, Celtic or Leeds

Scram
16/11/2007, 12:43 PM
Andy Reid was very generous and professional in his comments about Stan when he was treated very unfairly by him for a long time.

It's unlikely to happen but I'd really like to see Andy captaining the side.

Interesting call, I see Andy as our future i.e. the team should revolve around him, not sure though about how vocal he is. Any insight?

Stuttgart88
16/11/2007, 12:49 PM
There was a thread on this topic a while back. I don't think we should build a team around anyone - I think that's a bit OTT and in any event Reid has been injury prone.

I think he is one of our top 4 or 5 players and is our best creative midfielder by a mile. Despite his size, he can look after himself too. If available he should be in the team.

gustavo
16/11/2007, 12:50 PM
Shows that Reid was able to look beyond his non selection whereas Miller wasn't

Sligo Hornet
16/11/2007, 12:51 PM
Shows that Reid was able to look beyond his non selection whereas Miller wasn't

Exactly Gus....it's called maturity!

Billsthoughts
16/11/2007, 1:08 PM
He said: “I was never picked much [by Staunton], and I didn’t have much contact with him during his time in charge. Personally, I thought I was good enough to be in the squad, but the manager makes the decisions, so you have to respect him.

“Hopefully this will now be a chance for me to make a mark in international football. I’m happy now. I’m fit and I just want to play against Wales.

“I’ve not really held down a place in the Irish team over a period of time, which I would have liked. It has been disappointing because you do want to play for your country, although that stems from how you are performing at club level.

“Hopefully things will change, with this game a chance for me. If I do get picked, it’s then up to me to nail down a place.”

Can someone please tell me in that were he says he is happy staunton is gone?????
people here are mad...or stupid.....or in Plastic Paddys case both.....

Wolfie
16/11/2007, 1:15 PM
He said: “I was never picked much [by Staunton], and I didn’t have much contact with him during his time in charge. Personally, I thought I was good enough to be in the squad, but the manager makes the decisions, so you have to respect him.

“Hopefully this will now be a chance for me to make a mark in international football. I’m happy now. I’m fit and I just want to play against Wales.

“I’ve not really held down a place in the Irish team over a period of time, which I would have liked. It has been disappointing because you do want to play for your country, although that stems from how you are performing at club level.

“Hopefully things will change, with this game a chance for me. If I do get picked, it’s then up to me to nail down a place.”

Can someone please tell me in that were he says he is happy staunton is gone?????

The quotes attributed to Miller is the standard self centred blandness that an out of favour player trots out.

Stuttgart88
16/11/2007, 1:15 PM
In fairness the article's headline said he was "happy with Stan axe"

Drumcondra 69er
16/11/2007, 1:40 PM
Interesting call, I see Andy as our future i.e. the team should revolve around him.

I know he's a big lad but surely his gravitational pull isn't that strong....

Wolfie
16/11/2007, 1:47 PM
In fairness the article's headline said he was "happy with Stan axe"

A sub-editor most likely added that headline independently of journalist who wrote article.

NeilMcD
16/11/2007, 2:38 PM
Good post Bill, I was reading through it and no where could I find where he says that he is happy that Staunton is gone.

Qwerty
16/11/2007, 11:30 PM
There was a thread on this topic a while back. I don't think we should build a team around anyone - I think that's a bit OTT and in any event Reid has been injury prone.

I think he is one of our top 4 or 5 players and is our best creative midfielder by a mile. Despite his size, he can look after himself too. If available he should be in the team.

Agreed that sort of think died out in the late 80s. And when it is used now it fails, look at Argentina in the last WC, an outrageously talented team yet everyting had to go through Riquelme which is really what undid Argentina. Andy is injury prone, and arguments about stamina aside he is not exactly heads and should above everyone else, he is a fine player but I think his performance against Germany in particular was over stated, it's not like Germany really tried very hard in that game.

CollegeTillIDie
18/11/2007, 7:26 AM
Is it just me ? Or is Liam Miller the single most over rated Irish player of all time?

Plastic Paddy
18/11/2007, 9:29 AM

Hmmm... two degrees and I'm "mad and stupid"? If you say so. :rolleyes:

I don't recall posting earlier in this thread so I just can't see any logical reason why you would bring me into it. Mods - perhaps you would be kind enough to delete Bill's insult and this comment. They add nothing, other than in this case allowing me the right of redress.

:ball: PP

livehead1
18/11/2007, 10:00 AM
Is it just me ? Or is Liam Miller the single most over rated Irish player of all time?

Nah, very few people actually rate him!

Claret Murph
18/11/2007, 10:41 AM

I am with you College , he was dire again yesyerday , and one hopes that he will never again appear in a green shirt , or gray for that matter .:mad:

carloz
18/11/2007, 12:57 PM
Miller is a very good squad player to have for us. Some of the peoples comments here are OTT. Yes he was poor yesterday but he wasnt a patch as bad as say McGeady was in Czech Rep and Slovakia. And i cant blame her for saying what he did about Stan, if i was in his situaon and i was seeing Alan O'Brien being selected in squads ahead of me then i too would be very unhappy

micls
18/11/2007, 8:00 PM
The only way people on here will ever give Miller credit is if he moves back from England a failure and signs for Cork City . . . . .

Yeah thats it alright...nothing got to do with the fact that he doesnt deserve the credit cos he's just not that good

galwayhoop
19/11/2007, 10:55 AM
And yes Miller had an inflated opinion of himself not shared by Martin O'Neill and not supported by his play for Ireland, Celtic or Leeds

miller was class at celtic in his short first team stay. he performed brillantly in the CL too. martn o'neill rated him very highly iirc. o'neill did say (rather profetically) though, that miller would be much better off (for his own development) staying with celtic for at least another year gaining valuable first team experience, instead miller went to old trafford and his career has never hit the levels it looked like it could. a bit of a stephen mcphail i reckon.