PDA

View Full Version : Irish players in US colleges

libero4
16/11/2007, 10:33 AM
Was browsing the internet and came across an article on Selina Moylan who plays for New Haven University in Connecticut.
She has just won the div 2 North Eastern "Player of the year" and also the "Offensive player of the year" This is voted for by the leagues head coaches. I remember Selina playing underage for Ireland some years ago. She was a class act. I think she played for Lifford (correct me if I'n wrong)
How come she is not on the Irish panel?
Another Lifford player I came across is Edel Malone who scored the winner for Hofstra University in a final. She damaged her cruciate playing for Ireland v Russia and missed all last year. She is back as good as ever and played in the world student games. She has not been included in Irish panels this year despite being a regular starter before her injury. I heard she blotted her copy book by returning to Hofstra and missing the Romania away game. She is now paying the price. There are 2 more Irish girls on the Hofstra team: Diane Caldwell from Raheny and Karena Richards from Midleton. Both are superb players.
Whatever happened Caroline Thorpe and Niamh Connolly? They were great players. Anyone know of any other Irish girls in American colleges?

ramladies
16/11/2007, 3:57 PM
Susan dovanan plays for QU.She played on same local team as richards, No she was in the U19 alright. Should defo b in the senior squad

Number9
16/11/2007, 5:02 PM
anyone got an opinion on these usa college girls coming back to Ireland during college breaks and playing for their old clubs? is it fair to the teams they play against? is it fair to the players who consequently find themselves on the sidelines?
my view is that they should only be playing here if they get clearance from the states and give it to the WFAI who inform the competition people at national and local levels. no clearance no game. too harsh?

olegunnar
16/11/2007, 10:03 PM
if the players are signed with a team in usa, then they should be ineligible for any other team, while their usa season is still running.

If they come home between seasons, they should be allowed play,as players are allowed have 2 clubs in same season,just not at the same time.

i'd be surprised if all the usa colleges knew exactly what the players were doing while in ireland,are they aware that they are playing in ireland??

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2007, 1:53 PM
Caroline Thorpe spent a few months in Asia back in 2005 and signed for Quarryvale on her return. I believe she was with St. Catherine's this past season. Niamh Connolly was playing for UCD until the end of 2006 summer season. Don't know where she is now. Selina Moylan did play for Lifford. Susan Donovan and Kariena Richards are both excellent players too.