PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants in Dublin

ifk101
16/11/2007, 9:15 AM
Has anyone got good tips for restaurants in Dublin? Preferable Italian, Thai, Middle-East food and located in or near the city centre.

passinginterest
16/11/2007, 9:18 AM
Has anyone got good tips for restaurants in Dublin? Preferable Italian, Thai, Middle-East food and located in or near the city centre.

Rhodes D7 on Capel Street was excellent when I was there. Reasonable prices too. More of a British theme to the menu though. Luigi Malones in Temple Bar is a pretty good Italian, can be very noisy and busy, quality of experience depends on where your table is really.

DIFChick
16/11/2007, 9:27 AM
Thai - Saba on Clarendon Street. The chef is from Thailand and used to cook for the King. http://www.sabadublin.com/

Italian - I've been to Il Posto which is just around the corner from where I work, you get 2 courses for €20 if you're there between 5.30-7. Here's the website http://www.ilpostorestaurant.com
If you want to go budget, try Little Caesar's on Harcourt Street or there's two of them just off Grafton Street. www.littlecaesars.ie

Venture out a bit and go to Skerries for seafood. Stoop Your Head does the best crab claws on the north side and the seafood chowder is pretty good too.

ifk101
16/11/2007, 9:28 AM
Rhodes D7 on Capel Street was excellent when I was there. Reasonable prices too. More of a British theme to the menu though. Luigi Malones in Temple Bar is a pretty good Italian, can be very noisy and busy, quality of experience depends on where your table is really.

Rhodes D7 looks pretty good and sounds tasty (just had a look at the website). Thanks for the tip.

Dodge
16/11/2007, 9:36 AM
I'd avoid Rhodes to be honest. Food isn't better than pub grub. Nothing wrong with pub group but if you're paying those prices I'd expect a little more

Billsthoughts
16/11/2007, 9:38 AM
I like that salamanaca on suffolk st....tapas place...nice food and nice atmosphere.
and that bang cafe on baggot st is nice as well.

ifk101
16/11/2007, 9:40 AM
Thai - Saba on Clarendon Street. The chef is from Thailand and used to cook for the King. http://www.sabadublin.com/

Italian - I've been to Il Posto which is just around the corner from where I work, you get 2 courses for €20 if you're there between 5.30-7. Here's the website http://www.ilpostorestaurant.com
If you want to go budget, try Little Caesar's on Harcourt Street or there's two of them just off Grafton Street. www.littlecaesars.ie

Venture out a bit and go to Skerries for seafood. Stoop Your Head does the best crab claws on the north side and the seafood chowder is pretty good too.

Saba sounds goods.

Unfortunately not to fond of any forms of fish. I usually have nightmares when it's time for the annual kräftskiva :)

Magicme
16/11/2007, 9:40 AM
The Ceder Tree on Andrews Street (I think) was one of the nicest meals I have ever had. Its Lebenese food. Yum.

For Indian, the best I ever had was Monty's of Katmandu on a small street in Temple bar.

If you want a different kinda nite out, try The Mongolian Barbeque in Temple bar. You choose your own ingredients and they cook it in front of you. Its fun!

DIFChick
16/11/2007, 10:00 AM
åh kräftskiva! I rip off the head and suck as much juice out as I can, like a true Swede! That salty broth makes me weep...I miss it alot.

I only noticed the other day that Superquinns have inlagd sill/pickled herring but only the plain kind with onions...

Ely hq at the Grand Canal Docks is lovely, great selection of wine as well. Only been once and had the organic chicken, tasty food and friendly staff. Bring lots of money, expensive! www.elywinebar.ie

Mao's in Dun Laoghaire is mid-range but the seating could be better. They do thai food, had the chicken satay and green veg curry last time I was there.
http://www.cafemao.com/

Avoid The Unicorn on Merrion Row at all cost, so overpriced and food is bland. Not sure why this restaurant is recommended by the Dubliner.

passinginterest
16/11/2007, 10:04 AM
I'd avoid Rhodes to be honest. Food isn't better than pub grub. Nothing wrong with pub group but if you're paying those prices I'd expect a little more

Must have gone down hill since I was there. I notice the menu has changed alright. I was there on Valentines day, got to chat to Gary Rhodes himself for a while, coversation ended when my girlfriend suggested his wife was at home with a naked chef.
Had a bacon and cabbage broth for starter that was beautiful and had a roast beef maincourse that was the best beef I've ever eaten. Maybe the standard was that bit higher becuase the main man was there himself that night.

If your going out of the city centre a bit Bellagio in Terenure is my favourite Italian, again it's usually packed and noisy but the food is top class.

ifk101
16/11/2007, 10:23 AM
I only noticed the other day that Superquinns have inlagd sill/pickled herring but only the plain kind with onions...

There was/probably still is a chain of shops in Dublin called the Swedish Food Company. Never went into the place myself but with a name like that they should have plenty of sill on offer if you are after some.

Bluebeard
16/11/2007, 12:15 PM
The Ceder Tree on Andrews Street (I think) was one of the nicest meals I have ever had. Its Lebenese food. Yum.

For Indian, the best I ever had was Monty's of Katmandu on a small street in Temple bar.

If you want a different kinda nite out, try The Mongolian Barbeque in Temple bar. You choose your own ingredients and they cook it in front of you. Its fun!

Good suggestions all round there from my experience. Just wanted to know if anyone else misread that as The Monaghan Barbeque first time around?

a.a.d
16/11/2007, 1:14 PM
Ceder tree is a must - fantastic food and value for money with an extensive wine celler.

IlPosto - again a great little Italian - just at the top of Grafton street on St. Stephens green

Saba - is a great place also.

max power
16/11/2007, 11:01 PM
Chilli Club just off St Anne's st. One of the best thai i've ever been in.....handy for lunch but good luck getting a weekend booking.

fosterdollar
17/11/2007, 2:01 PM
I like food at:

Thai Orchid - Westmoreland St / Navan (Thai)
Da Pino - Parliament St (Italian)
Peploe's - St Stephens Grn (French)
Unicorn - Baggot St (European)
Millers - Baggot St (Pizza)
Mongolian BBQ - Temple Bar (Eastern)
Coopers - Leeson St (European)
Diep Le Shaker - Off Baggot St (Thai/Cocktails)
Tribeca - Ranelagh (Mixed - check out the wings!)

Might think of some more later

green army
17/11/2007, 6:26 PM
try www.menupages.ie

declan hide
19/11/2007, 11:59 AM

Montys is actually Nepalese...but yeah the food in there is great.

declan hide
19/11/2007, 12:00 PM
I like food at:

Millers - Baggot St (Pizza)

Diep Le Shaker - Off Baggot St (Thai/Cocktails)

millers pizzas. wow. chicken satay pizza is unreal.

diep are top notch as well.

superfrank
19/11/2007, 12:02 PM
Dunne & Crescenzi's (sp?) is a pretty nice Italian but the portions are small.

inexile
19/11/2007, 4:44 PM
boccaccio on dame st, and botticellis in temple bar are 2 very nice italians. chez max on palace street next to dublin castle is a very nice french restaurant, trocadero and fire are 2 quality places as well, and the pre-theatre menu is very reasonably priced as well

Magicme
20/11/2007, 8:21 AM
Montys is actually Nepalese...but yeah the food in there is great.

I knew that. Doh am silly sometimes!

ifk101
03/01/2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the tips.

I went to Monty's and the Ceder Tree. Both excellent and easy enough on the pocket for the quality of food you get.

I also went into an Indian behind Grafton Street called Maloti and I thought food there was excellent as well. Large portions to boot :)

Magicme
03/01/2008, 11:58 AM
Glad to have been of assistance!

There is an Indian on Georges Street that my babydaddy and I used to frequent but am mentioning it not coz it has good food (nowhere near as good as monty's but reasonably nice all the same) but because of the sign it has. It is called Nagina Tandoori but the sign writer is responsible for fits of giggles from yours truely on many occassions as the N is written in such a way that it is very like a "V".

Childish I know!

paul_oshea
03/01/2008, 1:07 PM
I like that salamanaca on suffolk st....tapas place...nice food and nice atmosphere.

where is that exactly? it wasnt there when i used to be there, tapas is great for a crowd of 4 - 6 or a work crowd and do the whole lot twice or something like that. well especially if you are like me and you like to eat other peoples food too :D

Only ate out of about 4 - 5 indian places when i used to live in dublin, but lets just say between the brother, meself and mates we all had "complaints" ( double entendre intended ) one time or another, put me off eating any indian in dublin!

its good to see a lot of variety in dublin though, helps in showing it off as a vibrtant, multi-cultured city. always good for the tourists.