PDA

View Full Version : Aeroplane etiquette

Angus
16/11/2007, 8:54 AM
Question - what is our view on the etiquette around reclining your seat on a plane ?

I can accept on long haul, especially night flights, that it is appropriate but this week, a few people from heathrow reclined without asking the people behind.

I have asked people to reverse the recline on short flights when I have been holding a baby (staggering that somebody would be that inconsiderate) and I have never, ever, seen anybody ask.

What do we think ?

Sligo Hornet
16/11/2007, 9:27 AM
Basic common courtesy.....check with the person behind before you recline.I agree when people do it without regard to what the person is doing behind, as you say changing your baby's clothing, or indeed you may still eating and using your tray, makes my blood boil:mad:

John83
16/11/2007, 10:33 AM
Basic common courtesy.....check with the person behind before you recline.I agree when people do it without regard to what the person is doing behind, as you say changing your baby's clothing, or indeed you may still eating and using your tray, makes my blood boil:mad:
Agreed. I've asked any time I've wanted to do it.

Frankly though, if your blood boils every time some guy does something inconsiderate and rude, you won't live long! ;)

razor
16/11/2007, 10:40 AM
Don't really have an issue but it would be nice of some people to put them up when you're getting your grub.

Had an issue one night coming back from the US where a very rude American lady persisted in putting the seat back on my 6ft 4 colleague I was travelling with, even though the chap explained he was in distress when she did so.
A few nudges every now and then kept her awake but we eventually had to switch seats.

Lionel Ritchie
16/11/2007, 11:35 AM
Am I right in thinking this is really just a long haul issue? Can the seats even be reclined on say ...a Ryanair 737?

...or do the low cost carriers use seats without that function so they can squeeze more passengers in?

I flew to Zante (Greece) once on a Thompson charter. Flight took four and a half hours which is bordering long-haul in my book. Never, ever again for a number of reasons ...but in this particular instance the seats were ludicrously crammed. As it happened I had crippling tendonitis in both legs and the flight was a nightmare. I couldn't bare anything touching my knees at the time and they were jammed tight against the back of the seat in front of me.

I blame myself more than Thompson ...you order sh1t you eat sh1t. I should never have agreed to go.

OwlsFan
16/11/2007, 11:59 AM
I am quite tall and I always try and grab an aisle seat so I can stretch my legs. The guy in front of me on a relatively short flight reclined his seat and I spent the time kneeing the seat in the back and making him uncomfortable as it took all my knee space away. Very annoying for me and hopefully for him as well.

endabob1
16/11/2007, 1:04 PM
I seem to be alone here but it irritates me if I can't put my seat back because there is some lanky streak or fat git behind me complaining about lack of leg room, if you need more leg room pay for it, I want to lie back and try to get some kip!

Sligo Hornet
16/11/2007, 1:09 PM
I seem to be alone here but it irritates me if I can't put my seat back because there is some lanky streak or fat git behind me complaining about lack of leg room, if you need more leg room pay for it, I want to lie back and try to get some kip!

I wouldn't stand for that Owls and Lionel!:D

sligoman
16/11/2007, 1:20 PM
I hate ***** that recline their seats on short flights. Annoys me so much, I usually just start pushing their seat a bit:D. Also, recently on a flight from Knock to Stansted their was a child sitting behind me with his father beside him. Little fella kept kicking my seat. Why can't parents control their kids? Seriously, I know he's only a child but he was ****ing me off kicking my seat for the whole flight:mad:*

*Air rage, I know, and before you ask, no, my seat wasn't reclined so he had no reason to kick it:p

Lionel Ritchie
16/11/2007, 1:27 PM
I wouldn't stand for that Owls and Lionel!:D

I'm not even tall ...I'm about 5'10".

I'd actually argue it the other way and say if endabob wants to stretch himself out HE'S the one who should be opting to fly first class.

It's just a lack of consideration thing really.

lofty9
16/11/2007, 1:27 PM
Question - what is our view on the etiquette around reclining your seat on a plane ?

I can accept on long haul, especially night flights, that it is appropriate but this week, a few people from heathrow reclined without asking the people behind.

I have asked people to reverse the recline on short flights when I have been holding a baby (staggering that somebody would be that inconsiderate) and I have never, ever, seen anybody ask.

What do we think ?

I always ask, and never have put it back on a short haul flight. I'm well over 6ft, and can't believe some of the gits I've come across whilst on an aircraft. The old knees pushing the seat up annoys the hell out of them. ;)

A fat ignorant american did that to me and my wife on the way to Boston a few years ago whilst she was holding the baby. I asked him could he move the seat forward as I couldn't get out to go to the toilet, he refused. He only put his seat up after the steward intervened, and put it back when I got out. My wife and child then swapped seats with my bored 5 year old for the rest of the flight who promptly kicked the chair for the remaining 5 hours. He wasn't too happy, but I'm only glad I wasn't arrested as I felt the air rage when he refused to move his seat.

Speaking of Americans and their airplane etiquette, one of them had our flight delayed for 2 hours because he wouldn't knock his phone off as we were about to taxi. They ended up throwing him off the plane, another loud lard ass.

pete
16/11/2007, 3:57 PM
Don't recline the seat fully - halfway is maximum in economy. When the seat is reclined fully it is very difficult to get out of your seat especially if on the inside of 3 seats. With 100% reclined seat tv & table more or less unusable. In Business or First class can recline 100% as plenty of room.

Don't take your shoes off. :(

Maz
16/11/2007, 11:08 PM
I hate ***** that recline their seats on short flights. Annoys me so much, I usually just start pushing their seat a bit:D. Also, recently on a flight from Knock to Stansted their was a child sitting behind me with his father beside him. Little fella kept kicking my seat. Why can't parents control their kids? Seriously, I know he's only a child but he was ****ing me off kicking my seat for the whole flight:mad:*

*Air rage, I know, and before you ask, no, my seat wasn't reclined so he had no reason to kick it:p
On a flight to Spain, I had a fella about 20/21 pushing his knees into my seat. I never recline my seat and when I sat back, he had his shoe on my arm rest, actually pushed through between the seats. I just kept nudging it until he took it away.
That said, all he did was irritate and annoy the air hostess, when she asked him to do normal things like fasten his seatbelt and turn off his music before take off.

Hate to see people taking off their shoes though, I mean its just nasty

max power
16/11/2007, 11:08 PM
never have problems like that in 1st class:cool::D

osarusan
16/11/2007, 11:51 PM
Don't take your shoes off. :(

Hate to see people taking off their shoes though, I mean its just nasty

Why? It's a very common thing in Asia, I've done in a few times, and it does feel good. Just put on clean socks before you get on the plane and nobody should be bothered.

kingdom hoop
17/11/2007, 1:24 AM
I agree with osarusan, taking your shoes off on a plane is very relaxing, much more comfortable, and on long-haul flights I'd imagine it helps blood circulation so less chance of DVT.

Osarusan's advice to put on clean socks should be heeded. I remember I'd a flight back to Ireland a few months ago. It, unsurprisingly, was the day after my last night away so I had to do the smart thing and stay up all night partying, time flew by and before I knew it I had to race to the airport without even so much as a shower. As per usual I took off my runners once settled into my seat, but as quickly as I'd taken them off a pungent odour enveloped my area. Not pleasant at all. But thankfully I was wrecked tired so slept most of the way without being too self-conscious. In fairness though I was pretty considerate and put the runners back on and stretched my blanket down over my fetid feet, hopefully belatedly abiding by airplane etiquette. :)

Maz
17/11/2007, 1:25 AM
Why? It's a very common thing in Asia, I've done in a few times, and it does feel good. Just put on clean socks before you get on the plane and nobody should be bothered.
Ever experienced it where people obviously did not wash their feet nor change their socks...it is nasty

sligoman
17/11/2007, 1:27 AM
Ever experienced it where people obviously did not wash their feet nor change their socks...it is nastyHave you ever met, or more likely smelled, kingdom hoop on a plane by any chance?;)

kingdom hoop
17/11/2007, 1:30 AM
Ever experienced it where people obviously did not wash their feet nor change their socks...it is nasty

:o Yes!

What is the etiquette in such a situation though? Would it be ok to ask someone to put their shoes back on, or would you just grimace and bear it? Tough one. Depends on the length of the flight I suppose. Anything more than three hours and I think I'd nearly have to say something. Best thing would probably be to use a stewardess as a conduit so you don't get the back of their seat in your mouth afterwards.

edit; it would probably actually be the person behind you who was the offender so you could get some small revenge by reclining back as far as possible!

SkStu
17/11/2007, 4:10 AM
im an offender here im afraid. Best thing to do is wait til everyone is sleeping (if its a night flight) and peel off your sweaty runners then. The relief is fantastic. The smell is woecious but ive mastered the art of the poker face. :o

Alternatively, can anyone tell me what footwear is best? I travel in my runners for comfort but man my feet fckin reek when im travelling. strangely my feet dont normally stink. I think its all the walking, running and waiting around airports that you have to do... I think a spare pair of socks before boarding is a must from now on.

Maz
17/11/2007, 10:36 AM
:o Yes!

What is the etiquette in such a situation though? Would it be ok to ask someone to put their shoes back on, or would you just grimace and bear it? Tough one. Depends on the length of the flight I suppose. Anything more than three hours and I think I'd nearly have to say something. Best thing would probably be to use a stewardess as a conduit so you don't get the back of their seat in your mouth afterwards.

edit; it would probably actually be the person behind you who was the offender so you could get some small revenge by reclining back as far as possible!
I just bear through it, I'd be a bit fearful. You never know what way some people would react to you asking them to put on their shoes

Billy Lord
17/11/2007, 10:43 AM
The airlines should eliminate reclining seats. No one needs to lie down to go asleep. When the person in front of me reclines I try every trick in the book to annoy them, from the bam-bam knee in the back to 'accidentally' pouring drinks over them. I consider it a declaration of war.

DaveyCakes
17/11/2007, 11:33 AM
im an offender here im afraid. Best thing to do is wait til everyone is sleeping (if its a night flight) and peel off your sweaty runners then. The relief is fantastic. The smell is woecious but ive mastered the art of the poker face. :o

Alternatively, can anyone tell me what footwear is best? I travel in my runners for comfort but man my feet fckin reek when im travelling. strangely my feet dont normally stink. I think its all the walking, running and waiting around airports that you have to do... I think a spare pair of socks before boarding is a must from now on.

Don't wear cotton socks, merino wool is just the job

Poor Student
17/11/2007, 11:58 AM
Do I-Pods and mobile phones really carry much of a threat during taxi/takeoff/landing? On nearly every flight the stewards seem to miss these electronic devices still being used by some ignoramus and it tends to make me nervous. Is there a need for this procedure? It seems to be endlessly violated.

Maz
17/11/2007, 12:56 PM
Do I-Pods and mobile phones really carry much of a threat during taxi/takeoff/landing? On nearly every flight the stewards seem to miss these electronic devices still being used by some ignoramus and it tends to make me nervous. Is there a need for this procedure? It seems to be endlessly violated.
I know on the particular flight I spoke of above, the air hostess was really adamant he turn it off before we took off, but as for how much a threat I dont know

shakermaker1982
17/11/2007, 1:07 PM
I'm 6 4" so I struggle to even get my legs into the bloody seat so it amuses me greatly when some **** spends the whole 50 minute flight to Dublin trying to push back his seat even though it isn't physically possible to do so!!!!! Do you actually need to have a kip for 50 minutes? Long haul flights I'd understand and I'd book a seat with extra leg room but there is no way I'm forking out for a flight that takes under an hour.

SkStu
17/11/2007, 2:59 PM

im surprised a student hasnt seen the relevant episode of Mythbusters! :eek: that myth was busted :cool:

endabob1
19/11/2007, 3:49 PM
I'm not even tall ...I'm about 5'10".

I'd actually argue it the other way and say if endabob wants to stretch himself out HE'S the one who should be opting to fly first class.

It's just a lack of consideration thing really.

I'm 5'4" so I don't need to pay for extra leg room :p

The one single advantage of being a Hobbitt:D

Schlooooomp
19/11/2007, 5:03 PM

They don't want you listening to an iPod or any other personal audio device at takeoff time so that you can hear the safety messages.

Green Tribe
20/11/2007, 9:35 AM
Our flight from Bristol Shannon yesterday (Ryanair), I sat down, no window! :eek: That was weird. Extremely hungover, got really freaked out at the bumpy landing :(

Sligo Hornet
20/11/2007, 9:57 AM
Our flight from Bristol Shannon yesterday (Ryanair), I sat down, no window! :eek: That was weird. Extremely hungover, got really freaked out at the bumpy landing :(

Were you sat in the toilet by mistake!?:D

Green Tribe
20/11/2007, 9:59 AM
Were you sat in the toilet by mistake!?:D

Not that I can remember :p
Seriously there was no window, really freaked me out, hungover to hell, you know you are moving but you can't see it! Maybe it's cost-cutting by ryanair?

KevB76
23/11/2007, 5:31 PM
Do you actually need to have a kip for 50 minutes?

I always sleep on flights, regardless how short the journey.
Its not a choice I make, it just happens.
I had a theory they messed with the oxygen levels to deliberately knock out the passengers (for all I know everyone else is asleep too :confused: ).

Although it could be due more to the fact I usuallt travel on the early morning and late night flights, and have typically worked late for a few days to make sure everythings ok with work before I head off for a few days.

The best thing is I know I'll fall asleep as we're taxi'ing along the runway, and wake as we're coming in to land, so evry flight appears to take about 5 minutes :D

pete
23/11/2007, 6:10 PM
I always sleep on flights, regardless how short the journey.

I am the opposite. I doubt if I could even sleep on a round the world flight. Even on recent business class for 10 hour trip overnight I probably slept for at most an hour. Even watching absolute drivel movie (Shooter :eek: ) was no use.

No one listens to the safety notices. The life jackets are just so they can find the bodies in the sea. :eek: :D