15/11/2007, 9:14 PM
Now 6/4 with P.Power and 13/8 on Betfair

carloz
15/11/2007, 9:27 PM
Betting suspended on Paddy Power as far as i can see

Noelys Guitar
15/11/2007, 9:35 PM
Betting suspended on Paddy Power as far as i can see

Yes. Probably re-open tomorrow. Unless Jewell has been approached by the FAI either directly or indirectly. It was a little unusual of him to turn down the Wigan job the other day and then say he was'nt bothered if his next job was outside of the Prem.

Noelys Guitar
15/11/2007, 9:37 PM
Betting now suspended on Betfair. Something definetely going on now. Betfair never suspends betting unless huge sums of money are being bet.

eirebhoy
15/11/2007, 9:46 PM
Betting now suspended on Betfair. Something definetely going on now. Betfair never suspends betting unless huge sums of money are being bet.
Just checked there and it's up. Jewell is evens.

murphio on KDS reckons Jewell was interviewed today.

mypost
15/11/2007, 9:51 PM
Can't see an appointment being made until mid-January at the earliest, and certainly not on the eve of an international.

We heard all the "bets-off" before the last appointment. Apparantly, Venables was "certain" to get the job, then Keegan was "certain" to get the job too. Neither did.

Hiring Jewell will be a disaster if it comes about. Better than Staunton, (not hard) but worse than Kerr. Has never won anything, and is useless against any kind of big team. Not likely to stay around for a full campaign either, as soon as a big bucks PL team come calling, he'll be off, ala Sanchez, possibly even before the start of the qualifiers. :(

What we need is an ambitious boss, who is going to stick around and make a decent stab at qualification. Paul Jewell doesn't fit the bill. He wants a PL job, so let him get on with getting it.

carloz
15/11/2007, 10:18 PM
He wants a PL job, so let him get on with getting it.
You are aware he was offered one last week. And if he waits around a week there will be another as it seems Steve Bruce is going to Birmingham

Noelys Guitar
15/11/2007, 10:32 PM
Just checked there and it's up. Jewell is evens.

murphio on KDS reckons Jewell was interviewed today.

Whats KDS Eirebhoy?

Ceirtlis
15/11/2007, 10:33 PM
The bookies are going to clean up again with the next ireland market. What makes people think that the fai are anywhere near making an appointment. They dont want to be hiring anyone now and paying them for siting doing nothing.

kriscommons
15/11/2007, 10:36 PM
Every bookie in town is suspended on this and wont post odds before the morning but Betfair's market is open and is actually the best guide for stuff like this because its punter v punter.

Looking at the amount traded on Jewell this evening on Betfair, it's a fairly modest sum so I doubt this is a 'done deal' as some are saying it is. If it was, you'd expect the price to have crashed into 1-3 or so and for tens of thousands to be bet. As it is, the lowest price that punters bet Jewell at was 2.02 (Even Money) for small money really.

Still, very significant movement in the betting. Think it would be a bad appointment though.

eirebhoy
15/11/2007, 10:46 PM
Whats KDS Eirebhoy?
Celtic forum.
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=815085&postcount=1015

Noelys Guitar
16/11/2007, 12:58 AM
I have checked with my UCL deep throat and no news on Jewell but news on Houllier. He is not interested in taking the job. Venners has no support within the FAI. O'Leary still has a real chance of getting the job despite what the media are saying. Pretty reliable source.

Noelys Guitar
16/11/2007, 1:14 AM
Johnny Giles is acting in some capacity for the FAI and has interviewed Jewell. This is now official. He interviewed Jewell yesterday.
http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=48101-qqqx=1.asp

soccerc
16/11/2007, 1:23 AM
I have checked with my UCL deep throat and no news on Jewell but news on Houllier. He is not interested in taking the job. Venners has no support within the FAI. O'Leary still has a real chance of getting the job despite what the media are saying. Pretty reliable source.
Boys oh boys barney

kingdom hoop
16/11/2007, 2:33 AM
Johnny Giles is acting in some capacity for the FAI and has interviewed Jewell. This is now official. He interviewed Jewell yesterday.
http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=48101-qqqx=1.asp

Sorry to be so semantical but apparently it was only a little chat. :)

Emmet Malone carries the story in the Times as well, with an enlightening quote from Jewell that 'da paper' seemingly missed out on;

"John Giles asked to see me and I went to meet him," said the 43-year-old Englishman. "We had a chat about football in general and of course he mentioned the Irish job situation. It wasn't an interview but I'm flattered by the interest and I'm certainly not ruling it out. I'm thinking about it and we'll see soon enough whether anything develops."

We'll see soon enough??? Does that suggest Giles intimated to him that a decision is nigh? And there was me sitting back relaxing waiting for the selection panel to be announced before I properly put my mind to who I'd like to see come in! Jewell? I don't think he'd be a disaster (I always admired his tenacity and forthrightness and he seemed well able to motivate a team, especially in light of the fact he managed little Wigan, even bringing them to the League Cup final one year and pulled off two cup final-esque great escapes on the last day of the season to preserve Premiership status; famously with Bradford when they beat Liverpool and denied them a CL place, and last season in a loser loses all match against Sheffield United.)

However I'm not sure if he is tactically adept enough for the international scene, I say that only because I can't properly remember watching many Wigan matches and how they unfolded (ie how he reacted to adversity/superiority) over the past few years. I think they played decent enough football at a good tempo, a classic British style perhaps? Whatever, one must acknowledge the achievement of finishing 8th ish and give credit to the manager. You don't win eight away games, as they did, in your inaugural season in the Premiership without being thoroughly organised, motivated and focussed on the job at hand. I don't know what happened in the second season but when things aren't going great at Wigan you're not exactly going to be uplifted by the fans to get you going again. In fairness he seems an ambitious, determined and steely character who at least has some experience, of both sides of the coin too in picking a style for a pretty poor team for clashes with better teams and, when he won two promotions for Wigan, of managing the expectation of a good team playing weaker ones.

But overall,

??????
Paul Jewell

Any Catchphrase fan should get that one......................no? a few question marks hang over him. :o :D

Sligo Hornet
16/11/2007, 6:24 AM
Although "looking" increasingly likely, I cannot see the FAI appointing Jewell, because as we all know, we are now used to only having "World Class Managers".........sorry Paul thanks for the interest, there will be a letter in the post!:rolleyes:

RogerMilla
16/11/2007, 7:42 AM
especially in light of the fact he managed little Wigan, even bringing them to the League Cup final one year and pulled off two cup final-esque great escapes on the last day of the season to preserve Premiership status; famously with Bradford when they beat Liverpool and denied them a CL place, and last season in a loser loses all match against Sheffield United.)

I think they played decent enough football at a good tempo, a classic British style perhaps? Whatever, one must acknowledge the achievement of finishing 8th ish and give credit to the manager. You don't win eight away games, as they did, in your inaugural season in the Premiership without being thoroughly organised, motivated and focussed on the job at hand.

:D[/I]

I think international football is very like cup football , you don't want the minnows to beat you and you need to pull off shocks against the big teams .
I would broadly accept jewell as our manager on a two year deal , he would definitely leave us in a better state than he finds us regardless of whether he takes us to the world cup in africa,

amaccann
16/11/2007, 7:54 AM
But hasn't Delaney already been on record as saying that the "British" style of management wasn't working & that they'd be looking further afield for their man? Ok ok, infamous comments about "World Class management team" aside, it did seem one of the few definites that the FAI would be looking for someone non British/Irish.

Newryrep
16/11/2007, 7:56 AM
Houllier. He is not interested in taking the job. . Thought he might of been interested - pity

Venners has no support within the FAI.. Thank God

O'Leary still has a real chance of getting the job despite what the media are saying. Pretty reliable source. - it will end in tears

Is Lippi doing anything now ? i know i am grasping at straws and before i get ripped to shreds

1, He didnt want to re-sign his Italian contract
2. Wouldnt take the England job because of the media
3. Spain would be unlikely to offer the national post to a non national
4. Ditto France , Germany, Holland etc
5. Is he likely to be offered the top job at a Group 1 seeded team ?

Say 1 million E for a part time job based in Europe (albeit not exactly the centre)

Please God let us go down the older respected international manager route and not the has beens and never were's.

We want somebody who the other european FA's(excluding England) would be chasing. Cant see many beating a door to O Leary

carloz
16/11/2007, 8:30 AM
Lippi wouldnt touch the job in a year of Sundays.We have to accept that at thmoment the job really isnt an attractive one. Id expect few internatinal managers above the standard of Troussier would interested, which i why in was wurprised when i heard the rumlblings about Houllier

Noelys Guitar
16/11/2007, 8:37 AM
This reeks of FAI bizarro world stuff. Informal "chats". The clowns must have known that Jewell would leak the story to increase his own profile and try alert club chairmen to his availability. And what is Giles playing at. He said his own position as a pundit would be compromised if he was involved in the selection of the new manager. Calling up Jewell out of the blue for a "chat" suggests that Giles has a big role to play in the selection of the new manager. So how many "chats" is Johnny going to have? And with whom. Venables will be one. O'Leary another. Maybe even Graham and Houllier even though both have allegedly turned down the job. Its funny in a way that the person who first touted Jewell for the job was Dunphy!

SuperDave
16/11/2007, 8:42 AM
You are aware he was offered one last week. And if he waits around a week there will be another as it seems Steve Bruce is going to Birmingham

*cough*

carloz
16/11/2007, 8:44 AM
Apologies, I meant Wigan

geysir
16/11/2007, 8:55 AM
It is known that Jewell has already had a financially lucrative offer from Wigan. Has he been desperate putting himself around for a job? I don´t think so
Giles had said publically that he would do whatever to help, which overrides the stated compromise effect to his punditry, Ireland duty comes first :)

It is possible that Giles is being led up the garden path by the FAI as what happened years ago, but Giles is more wily now and not prone to speculating. It could be that he will state this evening that he has been asked by the FAI to interview/chat with a number of managers.

geysir
16/11/2007, 8:59 AM
The bookies are going to clean up again with the next ireland market. What makes people think that the fai are anywhere near making an appointment. They dont want to be hiring anyone now and paying them for siting doing nothing.
The FAI can make the appointment now with the new manager contracted to start in January, it´s a common enough scenario.

Stuttgart88
I could live with Jewell, but would still prefer Houllier or Jol.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at these Giles "chats".

At least it appears they're doing something.

Noely, how strong is your UCL source re-Houllier?

passinginterest
On Newstalk this morning they were talking to Giles, he said the FAI would make a statement later to clarify the situation and he himself could speak more freely then. They also suggested that Liam Brady was meeting the FAI today and that the FAI may well be using the RTE pundits to sound out cadidates interest before formal interviews are announced.

Noelys Guitar
16/11/2007, 9:03 AM
It is known that Jewell has already had a financially lucrative offer from Wigan. Has he been desperate putting himself around for a job? I don´t think so
Giles had said publically that he would do whatever to help, which overrides the stated compromise effect to his punditry, Ireland duty comes first :)

It is possible that Giles is being led up the garden path by the FAI as what happened years ago, but Giles is more wily now and not prone to speculating. It could be that he will state this evening that he has been asked by the FAI to interview/chat with a number of managers.

What did Giles say earlier on Newstalk? he was on about half an hour ago but I missed it

OwlsFan
16/11/2007, 9:03 AM
This one has me puzzled. Has the FAI decided on a selection committee yet? If not, what significance is there that Giles had a chat about the job with Jewell if he's not on the committee? I am sure he had chatted to lots of other people but if he's not on the selection committee, it means nothing.

geysir
16/11/2007, 9:04 AM
One way for the FAI to get the pundits to stop moaning about the manager selection.
Cute FAI.

passinginterest
16/11/2007, 9:06 AM
One way for the FAI to get the pundits to stop moaning about the manager selection.
Cute FAI.

Pretty much what Newstalk said. Apparently managers refuse to apply for these jobs, they expect to be approached. This way the FAI can make informal appraoches, sound out interest and not embarass themselves by asking someone with no interest at all.

geysir
16/11/2007, 9:08 AM
What did Giles say earlier on Newstalk? he was on about half an hour ago but I missed it
I didn´t´hear it, Passing Interest did.

passinginterest
16/11/2007, 9:10 AM
I didn´t´hear it, Passing Interest did.

He pretty much said nothing. He said he couldn't really talk about it until the FAI make a statement later. He did say it was informal and that he would be speaking to other people in the same way. I presume it means he's on the panel that make the decision, or is at least acting as a consultant or advisor to them.

Noelys Guitar
16/11/2007, 9:13 AM
I could live with Jewell, but would still prefer Houllier or Jol.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at these Giles "chats".

At least it appears they're doing something.

Noely, how strong is your UCL source re-Houllier?

Not as strong as I believed Stuttgart as I got no heads up on Giles being involved. And now Brady seems to be involved. I'm sure Brady wants the job so how is he going to be part of the selection process. Delaney has just removed with one swoop 2 of the 3 most important pundits on the international team. Some politician. Giles can say that he is helping out (and I believe he is sincere) but he is now compromised as a pundit on the Irish team.

geysir
16/11/2007, 9:14 AM
With Giles doing the chatting/interviewing, Houllier's odds should stretch out to 100/1

tetsujin1979
16/11/2007, 9:15 AM
Last night on Off The Ball, Giles said he couldn't say anything on the rumours that he had spoken with Paul Jewell as an intermediary for the FAI, but he would be able to talk about it tonight (friday). If I can, I'll record what he says and post it somewhere.

Stuttgart88
16/11/2007, 9:16 AM
That'd be great Tets. I presume it can be listened to live online.

ifk101
16/11/2007, 9:20 AM
There's an article on the BBC confirming Jewell's interest in the job.

Though it's pretty much the same as in the Irish papers this morning.

geysir
16/11/2007, 9:20 AM
I heard it last night, it appeared to catch them off guard. At these times, Giles talks like bamboo sticks hammered under his nail wouldn't extract any more info.

tetsujin1979
16/11/2007, 9:23 AM
That'd be great Tets. I presume it can be listened to live online.
yep, newstalk.ie have a live stream. Off The Ball is on from 7 until 10
Johnny Giles has a regular slot every thursday night that is podcast on newstalk's website, but last night's isn't available yet

Noelys Guitar
16/11/2007, 9:23 AM
With Giles doing the chatting/interviewing, Houllier's odds should stretch out to 100/1

1000/1. I'm convinced Giles will go with Venables. Then the FAI won't ratify. And so it will be someone like Jewell or Daglish.

OwlsFan
16/11/2007, 9:25 AM
Apart from being brutal at Wednesday, his overall managerial record on games won/lost etc isn't fantastic. Good at Wigan, average at Bradford and poor at Wednesday.

.................................................. ......G... W. L ..D Win %
Bradford City....................................117.. 46 45 26 39.31
Sheffield Wednesday...........................38. .12 21.. 5 31.57
Wigan Athletic..................................291.127 90. 74 43.64

geysir
16/11/2007, 9:32 AM
We don't rate being poor at Wednesday as being such a drawback :)

Noelys Guitar
16/11/2007, 9:35 AM
Here is what I have been told. The 3 people involved are Giles, Brady and Whelan. Giles to interview and then discuss with Brady and Whelan his opinions of those he has interviewed. Brady and Whelan are also going to suggest candidates to be interviewed by Giles. Where this leads us to I don't know.

geysir
16/11/2007, 9:54 AM
Tragic that Dunphy isn´t being consulted :)

co. down green
16/11/2007, 10:00 AM
Tragic that Dunphy isn´t being consulted :)

Interesting panel discussions on RTE though, especially if Giles & Brady have helped select the new guy and things go pear shaped.

Macy
16/11/2007, 10:04 AM
Where this leads us to I don't know.
To Giles and Brady being totally compromised as pundits? Or is that the FAI intention...

amaccann
16/11/2007, 10:05 AM
Here is what I have been told. The 3 people involved are Giles, Brady and Whelan. Giles to interview and then discuss with Brady and Whelan his opinions of those he has interviewed. Brady and Whelan are also going to suggest candidates to be interviewed by Giles. Where this leads us to I don't know.
I'm worried that these are 2 of the same group of people that suggested the like of George Graham & Ron Atkinson as being the solution to Ireland's woes ...

geysir
16/11/2007, 10:09 AM
Interesting panel discussions on RTE though, especially if Giles & Brady have helped select the new guy and things go pear shaped.
With Dunphy losing the head ranting about the morons who were part of the selection process.
But the team are not going to play that bad again, are they??

dr_peepee
16/11/2007, 10:16 AM
The lads on newstalk reckon they'd prefer Jewell over Houler or Venebles as he's young enough to be hungry to succeed in the job as a opposed to Houllier or Venables who may see it as a bit of a wind down job.

A good point, but i think it's fair to say that Charlton took the job to wind down his career and that done no harm...

I don't know what to think or who to root for at this point tbh... (I defo don't want venable though.. He'd show the same level of indifference he did at Leeds, Palace, Portsmouth etc