PDA

View Full Version : Irish Cricket 2008

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sheridan
15/11/2007, 6:02 PM
Ireland's Friends Provident schedule for 2008 is as follows:

Ireland vs Nottinghamshire - April 27th - Clontarf (live on Sky Sports)
Leicestershire vs Ireland - May 4th - Grace Road
Northamptonshire vs Ireland - May 5th - Northants
Ireland vs Warwickshire - May 16th - Stormont
Ireland vs Leicestershire - May 18th - Stormont
Warwickshire vs Ireland - May 25th - Edgbaston
Nottinghamshire vs Ireland - May 26th - Trent Bridge
Ireland vs Northamptonshire - May 28th - Clontarf

Elsewhere, it has been announced that Boyd Rankin will represent Kolkata Tigers in the forthcoming rebel Indian Cricket League. Niall O'Brien has been assigned to Delhi Jets.

BobtheDrog
19/11/2007, 3:49 PM
Roger whelan has retired

from the icu site:
Ireland and Railway Union opening bowler Roger Whelan has today announced his retirement from all forms of the game.

The 27 year old won 3 caps for Ireland last season, playing against Essex, South Africa and India. He took just the 3 wickets for his country, but his victims included Ravi Bopara, AB De Villiers, and most memorably, Sachin Tendulkar.

Whelan was one of 5 reserves on stand-by for the World Cup, but wasn't required in the Caribbean.

He explained his decision to call it a day, "The main reason is commitment. I have been involved with the Irish Squad for the best part of six years and I have always given 100% throughout. I no longer feel I can give that same commitment; therefore it would be unfair to the other Squad members, Trent and Phil to continue."

"I have thoroughly enjoyed all my Cricketing experiences and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who helped me along the way, especially all the Coaches that worked with me over the years and everyone at Railway Union. I wish Trent and the Irish lads the best of luck in the future."

Whelan has also confirmed that he won't be playing domestic cricket for Railway Union in the Leinster league this coming year, and that will be a major blow to them as they look to gain promotion back to Senior A following their relegation in 2007.

An Irish Cricket Union spokesman said, "We'd like to thank Roger for all his efforts over the past 6 years, and wish him all the best in the future."

onceahoop
02/12/2007, 5:04 PM
I think amature sportsmen in many top class sports are finding it tough to make the committment nowadays.

OwlsFan
03/12/2007, 1:20 PM
does anyone actually care about this sport - I find it embrassing Irishmen even talking about it!.

Posted elsewhere. I find a comment like this really strange for someone who follows a foreign sport like soccer. I am a founder member of a cricket club in Dublin and love the game and I see no reason as an Irishman why I should be embarrassed about it any more than an Indian, Pakistani, Australian etc etc should be embarrassed about it.

You obviously know very little about the sport or the people who play it in this country and have preconceived ideas about it.

jebus
03/12/2007, 11:07 PM
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the book of Ireland's experience at the world cup is being launched in Dublin this wednesday. My friend asked me along so I'll be there, I'll get the venue and times off of her tomorrow if anyone's interested

Sheridan
04/12/2007, 8:02 AM
Owlsfan - there's a reason that post was deleted; I think the fact that particular specimen can't spell the word "boy" is telling enough without further need for discussion.

Jebus -Is there another one out? Ger Siggins's & Trent Johnston's Raiders of the Caribbean was launched in October.

Niall O'Brien has featured in both of Delhi Jets' opening games in the Indian Cricket League. He effected a stumping, took a catch and scored five in the opener, but only managed one run in the second game (in which he played solely as a batsman.) Boyd Rankin has yet to appear for Kolkata Tigers, although Nantie Hayward (the South African who guested ineffectually for Ireland last year) has played in both games.

Four Irish youngsters have won places on the prestigious ICC European Cricket Academy course in India, which begins at the end of February. Disappointingly, however, two are English-based and already have access to professional coaching. The four are Gary Kidd, Fintan McAllister, Gary Wilson and Andrew Poynter.

In domestic cricket, the momentous decision has been reached to allow professionals to compete in next year's Irish Senior Cup. This is largely as a result of pressure from the Northern unions, whose clubs tend to be less scrupulous in their recruitment of and reliance upon foreign pros with lucrative short-term contracts. Their previous exclusion from the ISC was probably the main contributory factor in Leinster's utter dominance of the competition over the past decade.

onceahoop
05/12/2007, 8:32 PM
In domestic cricket, the momentous decision has been reached to allow professionals to compete in next year's Irish Senior Cup. This is largely as a result of pressure from the Northern unions, whose clubs tend to be less scrupulous in their recruitment of and reliance upon foreign pros with lucrative short-term contracts. Their previous exclusion from the ISC was probably the main contributory factor in Leinster's utter dominance of the competition over the past decade.

Do you think it'll make much difference now that the standard has risen somewhat. It might even the playing pitch, which in itself could be said to be beneficial to all concerned.

I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment, but any major personnell changes for the coming season.

OwlsFan
12/12/2007, 10:59 AM
Here's hoping for a better Summer this year weather wise. Really was despressing cricket wise. Rain, rain, go to Spain and never come back again.

Sheridan
13/12/2007, 5:19 PM
Ireland's international schedule for 2008 (not including FP Trophy games) is as follows:

March/April: Three-match ODI series in Bangladesh, with further four-day and three-day games (TBC.)

March/April: UAE vs. Ireland, Intercontinental Cup (TBC)

2 July: Scotland vs. Ireland (Triangular ODI series, Scotland)
3 July: New Zealand vs. Ireland (Triangular ODI series, Scotland.)

9-12 July: Netherlands vs. Ireland (Intercontinental Cup)

Late July: European Championship Division One (Dublin)
Participating teams: Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Italy.
Ireland vs. Netherlands on the 28th and Ireland vs. Scotland on the 31st are full ODIs.

2-4 August: World Twenty20 Qualifier (Belfast)
Participating teams: Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Bermuda, Canada, Kenya.
Both finalists qualify for the 2009 ICC World Twenty20 Championships in England.

6-9 August: Ireland vs. Canada (Intercontinental Cup)

11 August: Ireland vs. Canada (ODI)

24, 25, 27 August: Ireland vs. Kenya (Three-match ODI series, Belfast.)

5-8 October: Namibia vs. Ireland (Intercontinental Cup, Windhoek.)

12-15 October: Kenya vs. Ireland (Intercontinental Cup.)

18, 19, 21, 23 and 25 October: Kenya vs. Ireland (Five-match ODI series.)

12-16 November: Intercontinental Cup final, Dubai (?)

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 7:09 AM
I see Irish cricket is up to its neck in debt and is looking for €250k due to the losses made at the World Cup.

BobtheDrog
16/12/2007, 2:33 AM
reply to the bbc article on the icu's website

ICU Chief Executive Warren Deutrom responds to criticism made by BBC journalist Austin O' Callaghan in a Newsline report.

Following your report on Irish Cricket last night, I feel compelled to respond on behalf of the sport.

I regret to say that we were extremely disappointed in what those in the game that I have spoken to about the piece regarded as an entirely unbalanced and unfair picture of Irish Cricket.

You focused purely on one point of view to drive home an editorial angle that portrayed Irish Cricket as poor administrators ('blazers' as one of our former players disparagingly described us) who have singularly failed to capitalise upon the World Cup either due to incompetence or indolence. That was the clear implication, and it was unfair. We certainly do not claim to be perfect or infallible, but there is nothing but hard-work and passion for the sport in the ICU, whether it is the handful of employees or the army of enthusiastic volunteers who have put the sport where it is today.

First, it is important to say that you are correct that it has been a difficult financial year for Irish Cricket - that is a recognised fact and no-one disputes that. In that regard, we are probably no different to many other small National Governing Bodies that struggle to make ends meet. The World Cup was certainly not a 'cash bonanza' as you described it, and we have experienced tough times this year. What was extremely dispiriting was that you focused entirely on this fact (the headline was 'Cricket in Crisis') and completely ignored the majority of the positives from 2007 that I attempted to get across during my interview, and then during our subsequent conversation, which did not go to air. Specifically:

* you ignored the fact that Irish Cricket had to manage something in the region of four times the quantity of fixtures in 2007 with precisely no additional human or financial resources - you will recall I informed you that the permanent employees numbered myself, the national coach and a part-time administrator.
* you ignored the positive story that some of those fixtures included home matches against India, South Africa and West Indies - the first time that Irish Cricket had managed to negotiate matches against three Full Member countries in the same season - a real coup after the World Cup.
* you ignored the fact that as a result of the concern over ticket prices for this series, ICU dramatically dropped the prices for the West Indies quadrangular series just afterwards.
* you ignored the fact that cricket is a sport that is almost uniquely weather-dependent and that we managed to get nearly 10,000 people over 5 matches in Stormont in the face of some of the worst summer weather in decades.
* On top of that, tens of millions around the world (especially in Asia) would have tuned in to the matches in Stormont, creating one of the largest global TV audiences for an event held on Irish soil - Setanta also showed cricket on home soil for the first time by broadcasting the five matches in Stormont live ball-by-ball.
* you ignored the fact that we are making some sweeping changes to our governance structures in order to ensure that we are 'fit for purpose' and gearing ourselves as professionally as possible, as the players have done this year.
* you ignored the fact that I told you we were working with Ireland's foremost sports consultancy Genesis and have just launched our new commercial strategy to reverse our dependency upon public funding.
* I told you about finding a sponsor as work in progress - it was portrayed as the 'cupboard is bare' and we are hopeful rather than proactive. You will also be aware that Bank of Ireland only withdrew in September, and sponsorship negotiations take time to come to fruition. In fact, we are in the middle of talks with a major brand but I am hardly likely to describe these details at a sensitive stage of discussions.
* you ignored the fact that I told you about our deal with kit manufacturer Kukri over the next four years and our first ever equipment deal with Stuart Surridge.
* you portrayed our negotiations with the Sports Council and ICC resulting in major funding injections in 2007 as a charitable dig-out as opposed to applauding Irish Cricket for developing these relationships to the extent whereby they are prepared to have confidence in us to manage this properly.
* you portrayed the fact that players were paid late as further evidence of poor administration, as opposed to the fact that the ICU ensured the players continued to be paid during the World Cup (by compensating their employers), by paying match fees, by negotiating with Bank of Ireland to get the players a 50k Euro bonus and, paying the players the majority of the prize-money from ICC.
* you may not be aware that ICU has just been selected to host the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 qualification event in Belfast in 2008 - ICC does not award such prestigious events to poorly-managed, inefficient administrations.
* you may even ask yourself why those dedicated journalists that follow the sport on a regular basis have not taken your angle - if you want a true picture of Irish Cricket, you should read those such as Richard Gillis in the Irish Times last Friday, or Robin Walsh in the Sunday Life last Sunday - they were the facts. As I said , we have nothing to hide.

It was a tough year financially for us, but we will get through it to the point whereby our new commercial structures will bear fruit, we will have an agreement for media rights in place, and significant monies from the ICC will flow down in 2009. These things take time, but we will get there through the hard work, passion and dedication that you seemed to infer was distinctly lacking.

At the end of the day, amateur and underfunded sports like cricket struggle to get airplay in the media, and especially on terrestrial TV. You will recall that we discussed that we don't have the natural advantages of the likes of GAA, rugby and football that have major stadia, major followings and scheduled money-making fixtures. My aim is to get us there, but you do not build these things overnight, as you appeared to suggest should have been the case.

Publicity provides us with the oxygen to demonstrate to public funding bodies, the private sector and the public at large that the game has a future and can generate media interest. By contrast, negative media, and especially such one-eyed negativity as the BBC demonstrated last night does nothing other than cast sport in a poor light, and make it even more difficult to get the private sector on board. I'm afraid that last night's piece did nothing more than damage cricket, although I am confident the damage is superficial.

I am not in the habit of responding to every bit of negative media - in fact, this is my first time doing so - but I'm afraid we just cannot let this attack on the sport pass by. All of those that work so hard at every level, from recreational to the international level, deserve much better.

Sheridan
18/12/2007, 9:14 PM
Phil Simmons has named his winter training squad from which next year's Asian touring party will be selected. John Mooney, Dom Joyce and Kenny Carroll are omitted. David Langford-Smith is unavailable for work reasons. Four members of the Irish squad for the forthcoming Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh are selected - Paul Stirling, Gavin McKenna, James Hall and U-19 captain Greg Thompson. Jeremy Bray is given something of a surprise recall.

Squad is as follows:

Trent Johnston (Railway Union)
André Botha (North County)
Jeremy Bray (The Hills)
Peter Connell (North Down)
Alex Cusack (Clontarf)
Phil Eaglestone (Strabane)
Thinus Fourie (Merrion)
James Hall (Waringstown)
Gary Kidd (Waringstown)
Kyle McCallan (Waringstown)
Gavin McKenna (North Down)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Kevin O'Brien (Railway Union)
Niall O'Brien (Northamptonshire)
William Porterfield (Gloucestershire)
Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire)
Paul Stirling (Cliftonville)
Reinhard Strydom (North County)
Greg Thompson (Lisburn)
Andrew White (Instonians)
Gary Wilson (Surrey)

Jerry The Saint
18/12/2007, 10:01 PM
The situation is worse than I thought

* you ignored the fact that I told you we were working with Ireland's foremost sports consultancy Genesis and have just launched our new commercial strategy to reverse our dependency upon public funding

:rolleyes: How do these guys keep getting work:confused: The Alan Hunter of management consultants.

Sheridan
18/12/2007, 10:06 PM
Because they're rubberstamp merchants and that's all anyone wants when they commission a report.

Stuttgart88
20/12/2007, 10:38 AM
Nothing to do with Irish, but cricket related: anyone see the pasting England is taking in Sri Lanka? Currently 72-9 in response to 499-8 dec.

Jayawardene is some player.

OwlsFan
20/12/2007, 1:45 PM
Yes, noticed that. Might be coming home for Christmas with their tails between their legs.

stickyjoe
21/12/2007, 7:54 AM
Any of you lads in the know heard anything on any of the test playing nations coming over for any one day internationals next summer.

Sheridan
21/12/2007, 1:59 PM
There are no home ODIs against Test nations scheduled for next summer. Ireland will play New Zealand in Scotland on July 3rd.

Let's keep it Irish on this thread, eh?

OwlsFan
06/02/2008, 9:42 AM
I see Ireland are lining up some one day internationals against England which should be good:

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ireland/content/current/story/332798.html

OwlsFan
07/02/2008, 12:45 PM
And for those of you who wonder why cricket has never really taken off in Ireland, here's a picture I took at one of our games in Marlay Park a few years ago :D

http://www.angelfire.com/sc/sandyfordcc/images/s_snow.gif

osarusan
07/02/2008, 2:10 PM
And for those of you who wonder why cricket has never really taken off in Ireland, here's a picture I took at one of our games in Marlay Park a few years ago :D

http://www.angelfire.com/sc/sandyfordcc/images/s_snow.gif

I cant see that picture.

Sheridan
13/02/2008, 7:53 PM
Ireland party for the tour of UAE and Bangladesh is as follows. Seventeen year-old Paul Stirling is included. He's currently away with the Ireland U19s who took an awful pasting (despite Stirling's 72) from New Zealand in a World Cup warm-up today. Porterfield replaces McCallan as vice-captain. Dunno why.

Trent Johnston (Railway Union) Captain
André Botha (North County)
Alex Cusack (Clontarf)
Philip Eaglestone (Strabane)
Thinus Fourie (Merrion)
Gary Kidd (Waringstown)
Kyle McCallan (Waringstown)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Kevin O'Brien (Railway Union)
Niall O'Brien (Northamptonshire)
William Porterfield (Gloucestershire) Vice-captain
Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire)
Paul Stirling (Cliftonville)
Reinhardt Strydom (North County)
Greg Thompson (Lisburn)

Phil Simmons - Coach
Gavin Craig - Manager
Mark McDonald - Physio
Peter Johnston - Video Analyst

Sheridan
17/02/2008, 5:29 PM
Ireland U-19s lost heavily to England in their opening game at the Under-19 World Cup in Malaysia this morning. Put in to bat, Ireland were bowled out for just 109 (Dougherty 34.) Taylor and Godleman knocked off the runs for England in just 15.5 overs as England won by ten wickets. This was a particularly disappointing performance as the Irish squad was heavily hyped and ran England very close at the last event. They next play Bangladesh on the 20th.

OwlsFan
02/03/2008, 4:19 PM
Sneak preview of film about the Ireland's World Cup cricket exploits

http://www.irishcricketdoco.com/

Sheridan
06/03/2008, 8:42 AM
Ireland are making predictably short work of the UAE's batting line-up on day one of the Intercontinental Cup game at Abu Dhabi. UAE won the toss and chose to bat. They're currently 138/6 (Langford-Smith 2-26, Johnston 2-16, Thompson 1-35, McCallan 1-7.)

Teenage opener Paul Stirling has been awarded his début after returning with some little credit from Ireland's disastrous Under-19 World Cup in Malaysia (they finished thirteenth.)

Sheridan
06/03/2008, 1:17 PM
A stubborn stand of 97 for the seventh wicket boosted the UAE's total, but they subsequently collapsed from 218-6 to 228 all out. The wickets were shared around and no-one took more than two. Only the young legspinner Thompson took any kind of punishment (13-2-62-1) from the batsmen.

In response Ireland were 46-1 at close of play on day one (Porterfield 16, Morgan 21.) Stirling only managed 2 in his first knock for Ireland.

Sheridan
07/03/2008, 2:04 PM
Ireland made it to 366-7 at close of play on day two. Should be in the bag. Niall O'Brien is unbeaten on 137* and shared in a partnership of 163 for the seventh wicket with Trent Johnston (69.)

geysir
07/03/2008, 4:42 PM
Must be some good reasons why the UAE can't get a better team together out of a couple of million Indian & Pakistani's out there working.

Sheridan
09/03/2008, 5:13 PM
In the end, it took Ireland all four scheduled days to complete a 9-wicket victory, thanks to a combination of injuries to key bowlers and an astonishing assault from UAE captain Saqib Ali, who racked up 195 of his team's second-innings 306. Cusack (who returned the remarkable figures of 16.2 overs, 7 maidens, 3-19) eventually had him caught by Morgan. That left Ireland needing 61 to win and they eased to victory for the loss of just Stirling (10.) Stand-in captain Porterfield scored 40*. They'll play UAE and Essex in two friendlies this coming week ahead of the three-match ODI series with Bangladesh. Worryingly, Johnston, Langford-Smith and Botha are all carrying knocks.

TheBoss
09/03/2008, 10:16 PM
Stirling just needs some experience of 1st class cricket and I think he may have learned a lot in those innings despite not being out there long.

Sheridan
12/03/2008, 1:52 PM
A young Ireland team is playing a non-cap 50-over international against an Abu Dhabi XI currently. A new opening partnership of Strydom and Stirling was given an opportunity, but neither managed a single run. Porterfield fell for 1, but Morgan came in next and hit 196* to help Ireland to 307-7 off their 50 overs. Only Niall O'Brien (45) and Alex Cusack (40) offered any support.

OwlsFan
12/03/2008, 3:02 PM
Morgan came in next and hit 196* to help Ireland to 307-7 off their 50 overs.

Is that the highest ever score by an Irish player? I remember I was playing against Rush one day many years ago and young Morgan was brought along by his dad to watch. He was only a kid at the time but I was mightily impressed with what he could do with a bat and ball when messing on the sideline. Just shows genuine talent will manifest itself early on in life.

Sheridan
12/03/2008, 3:07 PM
No, he scored 209* against UAE in a first-class match last year. This one doesn't count towards the records anyway as it's a non-cap international. In any case, it was two runs short of the previous record (Ivan Anderson's 198* against Canada in 1973.)

Abu Dhabi XI are currently 44-2 after 10 overs. Kevin O'Brien has taken 2-14 off five. Worryingly, the newcomer Eaglestone has gone for 25 off three.

Sheridan
12/03/2008, 5:58 PM
The Abu Dhabi XI got worryingly close to the total as they were bowled out for 282 off 46.3 overs. Ireland XI won by 25 runs. Eaglestone was expensive at first but came back strongly to finish with 3-40. Kidd and Fourie took some punishment (0-52 and 1-58.) Kevin O'Brien took 3-48 and Greg Thompson 3-53.

TheBoss
12/03/2008, 10:09 PM
That is a bit of a disappointing result, they will get hammered by Bangladesh next week if they continue like that.

Sheridan
12/03/2008, 10:15 PM
TheBoss - I wouldn't be that bothered, none of the senior bowlers played and the pitch at the Sheikh Zayed stadium is very flat and good for batting. Worryingly, Cusack only bowled one over due to a groin problem.

TheBoss
13/03/2008, 12:47 PM
Anywhere you can get the scorecard ?

Sheridan
13/03/2008, 1:33 PM
At Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi. Ireland beat Abu Dhabi XI by 25 runs.

IRELAND XI
R Strydom run out 0
P Stirling c Taqir b Awais 0
W Porterfield c Taqir b Rizwan 1
E Morgan not out 196
N O’Brien lbw b Fayyaz 45
A Cusack run out 40
K O’Brien c b Qazi 2
T Fourie lbw b Qazi 0
G Thompson not out 1
Extras (1b 3lb 2nb 16w) 22
Total (50 overs, seven wickets) 307

Fall: 1-2 2-2 3-12 4-109 5-291 6-300 7-300

Did not bat: G Kidd, P Eaglestone.

Bowling: Awais Aftab 6-0-40-1, Rizwan Mustufa 4-0-27-1, G Nitten 8-0-31-0, A Qazi 7-0-53-2, A Fayyaz 10-0-47-1, Shadeep Silva 10-1-48-0, Rizak Khan 1-0-9-0, Saied Amjad 3-0-30-0, Kashia Butt 1-0-18-0.

ABU DHABI XI
Rizwan Khan c Kidd b Eaglestone 64
Gayan Silva c Morgan b K O’Brien 5
H Iftikhar c Morgan b K O’Brien 6
Imran Zia lbw b K O’Brien 0
Kashif Butt c N O’Brien b Fourie 0
G Nitten c Kidd b Thompson 39
Fayyaz Ahmed c Morgan b Thompson 72
Qazi Ayub c sub (McCallan) b Thompson 0
Saeed Sajjad c Thompson b Eaglestone 46
Tariq Javaid c Stirling b Eaglestone 29
Awais Aftab not out 2
Extras (2b 4lb 13w) 19
Total (46.3 overs) 282

Fall: 1-18 2-44 3-50 4-55 5-94 6-183 7-200 8-210 9-266

Bowling: P Eaglestone 8.3-0-40-3, K O’Brien 9-1-48-3, A Cusack 1-0-3-0, T Fourie 8-1-58-1, G Kidd 7-0-52-0, R Strydom 4-0-22-0, G Thompson 9-1-53-3.

TheBoss
13/03/2008, 2:31 PM
Cheers.

It was like the World Cup the way they started, 3-12. Thompson looks to be a decent prospect always seems to get 2 or more wickets in a game.

Sheridan
14/03/2008, 3:40 PM
Ireland XI beat Essex by 6 wickets in a 35 over game at Abu Dhabi today. Essex batted first, scoring 196-8. Ireland replied with 199-4, winning with 1.2 overs to spare. No batting or bowling figures yet.

10 overs were lost to prayers.

Scorecard now available. Note that both XIs fielded twelve players, in somewhat Irish fashion.

IRELAND XI V ESSEX XI

Played at Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi.
ESSEX
M Pettini c Johnston b Botha 84
J Gallian run out 21
V Chopra b Botha 7
J Foster c McCallan b Thompson 15
J Middlebrook c and b Fourie 8
G Flower c and b Thompson 2
T Phillips not out 24
G Napier c N O'Brien b Botha 8
T Westley c Fourie b Botha 9
M Westfield not out 5
Extras (1b 1lb 1nb 10w) 13
Total (35 overs, eight wickets) 196

Fall: 1-53 2-77 3-114 4-124 5-138 6-161 7-176 8-186

Bowling: D Langford-Smith 5-0-36-0, K O'Brien 6-1-28-0, T Fourie 6-0-37-1, A Botha 7-0-36-4, K McCallan 5-0-25-0, G Thompson 6-0-32-2.

IRELAND XI
W Porterfield c Phillips b Palladino 17
R Strydom b Phillips 73
P Stirling c Palladino b Phillips 26
E Morgan not out 57
N O'Brien lbw b Phillips 0
K O'Brien not out 12
Extras (1b 2lb 2nb 9w) 13
Total (33.4 overs four wickets) 199

Fall: 1-22 2-102 3-177 4-177

Did not bat: (T Johnston, A Botha, K McCallan, T Fourie, G Thompson.)

Bowling: M Westfield 6-0-29-0 T Palladino 5-0-45-1, C Wright 5-0-33-0, J Middlebrook 7-0-31-0, T Phillips 7-0-25-3, T Westley 3.4-0-33-0.

Ireland XI won by six wickets.

DaveyCakes
18/03/2008, 11:32 AM
One Day International Series: Bangladesh v Ireland
18-03-2008 at Mirpur
Bangladesh beat Ireland by 8 wickets

Ireland won the toss and decided to bat

Ireland Innings
185 for 7 (50.0 overs)
Bangladesh Innings
186 for 2 (39.5 overs)

Ireland Innings - Close

Porterfield c Ghosh b Mortaza 1
Strydom c Ghosh b Mortaza 8
Morgan b Reza 35
O'Brien c Reza b Mahmudullah 15
O'Brien lbw b Saqibul 20
Botha run out 22
Cusack c Reza b Mortaza 38
Johnston not out 31
Langford-Smith not out 3
Extras 3w 5b 4lb 12
Total for 7 185 (50.0 ovs)

Bowler O M R W
Mortaza 10.0 4 22 3
Razzak 10.0 0 36 0
Mahmudullah 10.0 0 31 1
Saqibul 10.0 1 38 1
Reza 10.0 0 49 1
Fall of wicket
6 Porterfield
18 Strydom
43 O'Brien
81 Morgan
97 O'Brien
115 Botha
180 Cusack

Bangladesh Innings - Close

Tamim c Thompson b Langford-Smith 13
Nafees not out 90
Aftab c Strydom b Johnston 11
Ashraful not out 64
Extras 8w 8
Total for 2 186 (39.5 ovs)

Bowler O M R W
O'Brien 5.0 0 30 0
Langford-Smith 8.0 0 52 1
Johnston 6.0 1 17 1
Botha 6.0 1 20 0
McCallan 7.0 0 25 0
Cusack 3.5 0 16 0
Thompson 4.0 0 26 0

Fall of wicket
25 Tamim
56 Aftab

Umpires: Enamul Haque, T H Wijewardene

TheBoss
18/03/2008, 2:00 PM
The only positive I see here is that they batted the 50 overs.

Sheridan
18/03/2008, 3:14 PM
Actually that's a negative. It's criminal to end up with three wickets standing while only scoring 185. Have a swing for the last five overs at least, FFS. Botha was looking good but Cusack ran him out. Kevin O'Brien and DLS's profligacy with the new ball cost Ireland the game.

TheBoss
18/03/2008, 4:26 PM
I know it was a poor score, but if you look at Ireland's recent record against Test Nations, they seem to rarely bat the 50 overs.

onceahoop
19/03/2008, 5:12 PM
Apparently the heat and humidity was oppressive.

Still, Bangladesh had lost there previous 15 games. A big improvement required for next game.

OwlsFan
20/03/2008, 10:20 AM
No big improvement:

Bangladesh beat Ireland by 84 runs

Bangladesh 246-8 (50.0 overs)
Ireland 162 all out (38.3 overs)

TheBoss
20/03/2008, 1:10 PM
If anything, it is probably slightly worse.

BobtheDrog
24/03/2008, 1:37 AM
trent johnston is taking a break from international cricket

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES2/articles/000030/003015.shtml

reland captain Trent Johnston has announced that he is taking a break from international cricket with immediate effect.

Speaking after seeing his side lose the 3rd ODI against Bangladesh, he said, “I’ve told the squad that it’s time for me to have a break. I’ve been struggling with various injuries (shoulder, elbow and ankle), and my body’s telling me it’s time for rest. I’ve been a bit of a passenger in the field, and it’s not fair on the rest of the team.”

Johnston, who turns 34 next month, will play no part in Ireland’s Friend Provident Trophy games, but hasn’t ruled out featuring later in the year, in the Intercontinental Cup.

“It’s been no secret that I’ve been contemplating this for some time. International cricket places a great strain not only on the body, but also on family life, and with a wife and two young children, I’ve got to prioritise. There are also the demands on my time with work. I've now got a terrific job with Architectural Hardware, who have been fantastic with their support."

"It’s been a terrific time to have been involved with Irish cricket, and I’ll always cherish the memories of the World Cup.”

“I do feel I’ve still got a lot to offer, particularly in the 4 day format. I suppose I could still field in the slips, and I’ve been in good form with the bat, so could maybe concentrate on that aspect of my game more.”

"I'll be sitting down with Phil Simmons this week and discussing my plans. I don't think I'm up to the strains of One Day cricket any more. These 3 ODI's in the space of 5 days has nearly killed me. It's only fair to give Phil a chance to build up a working relationship with William Porterfield now, rather than drop this on him in 6 months time."

Johnston will continue to play domestic cricket in Leinster, where he is captain of Railway Union. “I’m still going to be turning out for Railway, where the demands won’t be as strenuous.”

A Cricket Ireland spokesman said, “Trent has been an inspirational captain of the Irish team for 3 years. We fully understand the reasons behind his decision to take a break. We feel he still has a lot to offer on the playing side.”

Johnston has captained Ireland to two successive Intercontinental Cup Final wins, against Kenya in 2005, and in 2007 versus Canada. He has a superb record in First Class fixtures, having taken 51 wickets at an average of 12.94, as well as scoring 368 runs at 36.80 in the11 games he has played.

Overall he has played 67 times for Ireland in all competitions, scoring 1332 runs at 21.48, and taking exactly 100 wickets at 24.43.

He is one of only two players to have taken a hat-trick for Ireland, doing so against Gloucestershire at Clontarf in May 2007.

onceahoop
26/03/2008, 7:17 PM
Sounds more like a retirement to me. Still he did us proud and the amount of International cricket these lads are expected to play nowadays is well nigh impossible for amatures who are trying to hold down a job.

OwlsFan
27/03/2008, 12:33 PM
I know this is Irish cricket but did anyone see Southee's 77 off 42 deliveries against England, coming in at No. 10? Bob Willis commentating for Sky said he "could barely hold a bat" and then he hits 9 sixes and 4 fours. Egg on face came to mind for Mr. Willis :D Great stuff. He put on a
10th wicket stand of 84 of which his partner scored 5!!