PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Quota in the Premiership

elroy
15/11/2007, 8:48 AM
I think what is proposed (but the EU will veto in any case) is that european clubs will only have 5 foreign players in a starting team. But by "foreign" this means players that have not come through the ranks in the club. Therefore, an Irish, French, Spanish etc guy come join an english club when he's 18, make his way through to the first team and he would not be considered "foreign" in this case as he was developed by the club. So the impact may not be so drastic, but the EU will veto any such moves anyhow.

Stuttgart88
15/11/2007, 8:51 AM
Liam Brady and Arsene Wenger both recently asked just how successful England were before the Premiership. Funny thing is, they are going through an unprecedented period of international success at the moment but they don't have the humility or cop on to recognise it. Brady added that it mirrors English societal attitude: blame everything on immigration.

Wenger said something like "putting your child in a stronger class improves his education". I tend to agree.

We live in an era of global movenment of capital and labour. Traditional industry is facing unprecedented international competition. Football is a business so why should it be any different? It's adjusting to the competition that's important. I think this has been one of the biggest failings of the FAI in the last decade.

Stuttgart88
15/11/2007, 9:00 AM
I should have added that England is having an extremely successful run at underage level too. Their U17s did well at the recent World Cup and their U21s were unlucky not to be European champions this summer and they have started this season as impressively as they finished last season. Players like Mark Noble (Irish granny!), Theo Walcott & Gabriel Abdonlehor are super prospects and several of their U21 team would be good enough for our senior team.

dr_peepee
15/11/2007, 9:02 AM
I think/hope that the agenda driving this is to promote development and coaching from within rather than what the Chelsea's and the Real Madrids are doing. Much in the same way that transfer windows remove the possibility of buying solutions by placing more emphasis on tactics and coaching... The 'Foreign quota' thing is the most likely option bantered about, but I don't think it will be decided on as the solution..

superfrank
15/11/2007, 9:44 AM
I've a feeling that the EU will force the FA to change their definitions from "foreign" to "non-EU nationals".

John83
15/11/2007, 12:18 PM
I've a feeling that the EU will force the FA to change their definitions from "foreign" to "non-EU nationals".
I suspect you're right.

Platini had big plans about quotas of homegrown players for Champions' League squads. Did anything ever come of that?

I can't understand the attitude that English players are somehow being harmed by this competition. The best of them get to play with better players and the less good get to play against better players. :)

There's an academy system in place for a relatively short period. Just as its first batch of young players are appearing, England is doing well in youth internationals. Everyone panic!

I think all of this is just a knee-jerk reaction to the possibility of England not qualifying. It'll blow over.

tomred23
15/11/2007, 7:27 PM
I was just reading a few weeks ago that England were only ranked 9th in a list of the amount players in the champions league. I taught they would have been higher espacially with four teams. Cant find the list though.

shakermaker1982
15/11/2007, 7:46 PM
I can believe England only coming 9th, remember very few English players are abroad playing for clubs in Champions League (are there any since Beckham left for US?) whereas you get a lot of top Spanish, Italians and French plying their trade in other countries.

Definite English starters from the 4 big English clubs? Arsenal zero (Theo would only play if a few key players were injuried). Chelski would normally expect to field Terry, Cashley Cole, J Cole, Lampard. Man Utd would have Rio, Neville, Hargreaves, Scholes and Rooney whilst Liverpool would have Carragher, Gerrard and maybe Pennant. Crouch wouldn't be above Torres or Kuyt.

Then again we have Finnan and that's it!

kingdom hoop
15/11/2007, 8:34 PM
The jocks certainly aren't strapped (:D/:o) for Champions League players, they'd more players playing in the last round than England did.

SkStu
15/11/2007, 8:38 PM
cant help but think this would be great for the domestic and international game. If it went ahead. Which is unlikely...