15/11/2007, 12:53 AM
I hate myself for this but I'm cheering Russia to the hilt

Sligo Hornet
15/11/2007, 6:50 AM

Why hate yourself?:confused:

drinkfeckarse
15/11/2007, 9:03 AM
Not bothered one way or the other who gets out of that group.

Dodge
15/11/2007, 9:10 AM

Are you Polish or something?

Can't see any reason why people would a) want Russia to lose b) want Israel to be succesful and c) want England to still have a chance?

I predict a draw

Stuttgart88
15/11/2007, 9:29 AM
I want Russia to win. I'd love to be able to enjoy Euro 2008 without the media overkill that goes with the English team in a competition finals.

dcfcsteve
15/11/2007, 9:32 AM
I want Russia to win. I'd love to be able to enjoy Euro 2008 without the media overkill that goes with the English team in a competition finals.

Especially if the Scots get there, as there'll be someone to cheer anyway !

Sligo Hornet
15/11/2007, 9:35 AM
Are you Polish or something?

Can't see any reason why people would a) want Russia to lose b) want Israel to be succesful and c) want England to still have a chance?

I predict a draw

That would be the best result....as it would mean England had to beat Croatia at Wembley, and then we could watch as they buckle under the pressure of thinking they are better than they really are;)

OwlsFan
15/11/2007, 10:03 AM

But in a way doesn't it make it more interesting when England are in it with all the hype etc and then the eventual failure. Would you hand on heart prefer to watch a game with England playing or Russia playing?

Dodge
15/11/2007, 10:15 AM
But in a way doesn't it make it more interesting when England are in it with all the hype etc and then the eventual failure. Would you hand on heart prefer to watch a game with England playing or Russia playing?

The question should be who would you like to have a chance at winning the tournament, England or anybody else?

Stuttgart88
15/11/2007, 10:28 AM
But in a way doesn't it make it more interesting when England are in it with all the hype etc and then the eventual failure. Would you hand on heart prefer to watch a game with England playing or Russia playing?Hand on heart, Russia, just to avoid the massive amount of negative energy that builds up inside me when England play!

I also love watching eastern european teams play. Their technique is superb and their short passing and the angles they find fascinate me.

I love the finals of international tournaments and bar the hype and celebrity I honestly think England tend to contribute very little to them. Maybe Rooney in '04 and Owen in '98 but usually it's just attrition football with good quality set pieces.

Lionel Ritchie
15/11/2007, 10:33 AM
That would be the best result....as it would mean England had to beat Croatia at Wembley, and then we could watch as they buckle under the pressure of thinking they are better than they really are;)

I don't see that happening. If England are given that lifeline I strongly suspect they will avail of it ...possibly with telling contributions from officials who fear they'll not work at that level again if the result isn't "right" and their performance comes under scrutiny. I wouldn't rule out five or six minutes of time added if England need a goal.

Though for now I'll watch as an amused neutral. I shall try to rise above my own post colonial psychosis if England manage (by default) to get back into this. I might not like the John Bullsh1ts that hang on to them but by and large I realy like the English* and think we've* a lot more in common with them than we ever like to admit.

Would be funny though to see a finals without them but with Scotland, and who knows maybe even our northern cousins, involved.

*Grand brush strokes being used I know.

Sligo Hornet
15/11/2007, 10:39 AM
I don't see that happening. If England are given that lifeline I strongly suspect they will avail of it ...possibly with telling contributions from officials who fear they'll not work at that level again if the result isn't "right" and their performance comes under scrutiny. I wouldn't rule out five or six minutes of time added if England need a goal.

Very cynical Lionel........as if any such thing would happen today!;)......it's not ALL about money and politics:D

Stuttgart88
15/11/2007, 10:43 AM
Iby and large I realy like the English* and think we've* a lot more in common with them than we ever like to admit.

*Grand brush strokes being used I know.

I concur, and fair play to you for risking derision here for saying so, but I just hate to see them do well in football. Some of it easily and logically explainable, some of it just pure churlishness on my part.

Dodge
15/11/2007, 10:51 AM
I realy like the English* and think we've* a lot more in common with them than we ever like to admit

My favourite people in the world are the people with Brits Out tattoos wearing man utd jersies.

TheBoss
15/11/2007, 11:01 AM
Me personally, I prefer to see a tournament of the best nations in Europe, does that include England, yes it does, it makes the tournement much better in terms of quality teams in the competition.

Dodge
15/11/2007, 11:08 AM
Me personally, I prefer to see a tournament of the best nations in Europe, does that include England, yes it does, it makes the tournement much better in terms of quality teams in the competition.

The best teams always qualify. If England don't qualify from a relatively weak group, I don't think there's an arguement that they deserve to be there

reder
15/11/2007, 11:09 AM
My favourite people in the world are the people with Brits Out tattoos wearing man utd jersies.

Even better than the 'No to foreign sports' Celtic wearing folks, Dodge? Surely not? A tournament without one or more of our neighbours or ourselves involved just aint the same.

I hope England and Scotland get through but I sense that neither will. I expect England to **** things up against Croatia after Israel get something against Russia. I just think Italy will be too strong for the Scots unfortunately.

Dodge
15/11/2007, 11:12 AM
Well you're from Liverpool aren't you? So its not really the same as "us" not wanting them to go through.

RogerMilla
15/11/2007, 11:21 AM
Well you're from Liverpool aren't you? So its not really the same as "us" not wanting them to go through.
i think israel will get something off the russians but am more than happy to laugh if they dont.

also i think a tournament without england isnt the same , you can measure your life on where you were the day england went out of *( Insert tournament name here )

DaveyCakes
15/11/2007, 11:48 AM
Go Russia! Zha Rodina (I think)!

OwlsFan
15/11/2007, 12:13 PM

Which reminds me of the irony of a kid wearing an Arsenal jersey at the Flight of the Earls 400th commemoration in Donegal recently.

My heart says I don't want England to qualify but my football head says it would be a more interesting tournament with them in it.

cheifo
15/11/2007, 2:09 PM
The whole thing will be a damp squib without us anyway.;)

Réiteoir
15/11/2007, 3:09 PM
Russia to score a 97th minute winner against Israel courtesy of Pavlyuchenko punching the ball into the net with two fists whilst stood 5 yards offside .

That would be nice

Réiteoir
15/11/2007, 3:11 PM
and just seen that the referee for that game is Italian, Stefano Farina.

Can we have a whip round on behalf of the Russian FA and give the money to Farina by way of some "favours" in return? ;) :D

jackaroo
15/11/2007, 6:18 PM
I hope Israel win and England go through, great craic watching them been knocked out of final tournaments early when they think they are going to win it.

dfx-
16/11/2007, 12:26 AM
Russia to score a 97th minute winner against Israel courtesy of Pavlyuchenko punching the ball into the net with two fists whilst stood 5 yards offside .

That would be nice

Nah, the ball would have to be punched onto the bar, bounce down on the line and a German assistant referee award the goal to Russia from an impossible position...that would make it nice.:)

mypost
16/11/2007, 1:59 AM

England?? Best nations in Europe?? :confused:

Tournaments won: 1
Tournaments won away from England: 0
Last tournament win: 40+ years ago, not exactly yesterday is it??

No sorry, we are told that England are one of the best teams in Europe, by Sky. Big difference.

That aside, after our elimination, my only interest in the competition is to see when they go out, so we can focus on and watch the real football teams play in their absence.

Not exactly desperate to see the Scots qualify either, but I would love to see the arrogant Italians miss a tournament for a change. :)

reder
16/11/2007, 7:43 AM

Oh you cheeking devil Dodge! Better get ready to do upgrade your level of scouse appreciation given that "our" new manager is scouse and red through-and-through.

Maybe he will get together with that fella from St. Pats who tried to manage us before and teach him something about football.

Going to the game tomorrow?

osarusan
16/11/2007, 8:17 AM
England?? Best nations in Europe?? :confused:

According to the FIFA rankings, they're number 9.

1 Italy 1387
2 France 1271
3 Germany 1245
4 Spain 1226
5 Netherlands 1207
6 Portugal 1203
7 Czech Republic 1174
8 Croatia 1155
9 England 1137
10 Romania 1086
11 Scotland 1049
12 Greece 1034
13 Russia 960
14 Poland 837
15 Norway 830
16 Ukraine 828
17 Sweden 821
18 Serbia 786
19 Turkey 771
20 Denmark 769
21 Republic of Ireland 722

And although FIFA's rankings are often ridiculed, I'd prefer them to your system -

Tournaments won: 1
Tournaments won away from England: 0
Last tournament win: 40+ years ago, not exactly yesterday is it??

How many teams would be in there, based on these rankings?

And I like the argument that those who disagree with you can only have got their info from SKY and are incapable of making up their own mind-

No sorry, we are told that England are one of the best teams in Europe, by Sky. Big difference.

If they qualify, they deserve to be there. If they don't, they don't deserve to be there.

OwlsFan
16/11/2007, 8:57 AM
So we were up against 3rd and 7th in Europe :eek: No disgrace to finish 3rd behind them. Trouble is where is Cyprus ;) ?

gustavo
16/11/2007, 9:03 AM
I'd like to see England qualify , If only because I am familiar with a lot of their players and have a lot of respect for some of them. Those that say "oh we'll never hear the end of it from their media" if they do , need to ask themselves what do the expect if they are consuming that countries media.I.E SKY , The Sun etc , are naturally going to write from an English viewpoint because they are English ,it's not their fault that they are so prevelant here .

Dodge
16/11/2007, 9:34 AM
Oh you cheeking devil Dodge! Better get ready to do upgrade your level of scouse appreciation given that "our" new manager is scouse and red through-and-through.

Relax mate, I couldn't care less where you're from. Just making the point that you're hardly representative of Irish feelings towards England...

shakermaker1982
16/11/2007, 11:11 AM
A summer (as somebody who works in England) without constant media drivel about England having 8/9 world class players and not having to listen to work colleagues, mates and ex England players proclaim that this year "IS GOING TO BE OUR YEAR" = sounds like heaven to me!

England have picked up 1 point on their travels against their 3 big rivals which sounds like a team that doesn't warrant a place at Euro 2008. Come on Russia!!!!

mypost
16/11/2007, 5:31 PM
According to the FIFA rankings, they're number 9.

And although FIFA's rankings are often ridiculed, I'd prefer them to your system

Croatia are ahead of them, Russia are a few places below. If they do make it, Russia will probably leapfrog them in the next rankings. So they don't deserve to qualify, no?? :confused:

Italy and France are top of the rankings, yet after next week, one of them may be sitting the tournament out too next summer. The rankings may decide some things, but not qualifications.

Jerry The Saint
16/11/2007, 6:36 PM
my football head says it would be a more interesting tournament with them in it.

Is this you, (http://kpont.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/ball-head.JPG) OwlsFan:confused: :eek:

kingdom hoop
16/11/2007, 7:01 PM
Is this you, (http://kpont.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/ball-head.JPG) OwlsFan:confused: :eek:

:D Very good.

I'd generally be happy for friends to have something if I couldn't have it, but on last viewing my friends list didn't have the English football team on it. So then it's the option of the Euros with or without England. I think I'll take the without so I can focus on the tournament in general without besotting myself by only thinking about England.

Russkies Abú!

superfrank
17/11/2007, 10:48 AM
I'm honestly not too bothered if the English qualify, they will have earned it if they do and theoretically we want to see a football tournament with the best teams there.

Yes, the English media overhype their team to an insane degree BUT their is a simple solution. Switch-off Sky and the Beeb and don't buy any of the English tabloids. How hard can that be for one month every two years?

jackaroo
17/11/2007, 12:43 PM
Is it on live

Maroon 7
17/11/2007, 5:19 PM
1-0 Israel.

Jammy old England?

stojkovic
17/11/2007, 6:20 PM
Still 1.0

Fcuking typical jammy English.

Same happened on '82 when other results favoured them after they were sure they were out.

Ah well another QF exit on penos for them.

Block G Raptor
17/11/2007, 6:21 PM
Russia Equalise
yes go ruskie
brits out abu

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2007, 6:39 PM
Some of you should get the movie of Mike Bassett England Manager out on DVD . I think they reach a point where they need Luxembourg to beat Turkey away before they can qualify. The Grand Duchy do it winning 2-0 :D After they are eliminated from the finals Mike Bassett is replaced by .... the bloke that scored 2 for Luxembourg in the Turkey Game :D

DmanDmythDledge
17/11/2007, 6:55 PM
2-1 now.

Still 1.0

Fcuking typical jammy English.
How are they jammy? If they qualify they'll have earned more points than Russia. Nothing jammy about a team losing a game, especially one they weren't expected to win.

Red&White Rover
17/11/2007, 6:56 PM
2-1 now.

How are they jammy? If they qualify they'll have earned more points than Russia. Nothing jammy about a team losing a game, especially one they weren't expected to win.

They're jammy because another team has thrown it away to Englands advantage.

DmanDmythDledge
17/11/2007, 7:00 PM
They're jammy because another team has thrown it away to Englands advantage.
How can they throw it away in a game they're not expected to win?

stojkovic
17/11/2007, 7:01 PM
2-1 now.

Tell the Jocks that.

Now we can get Hiddink when Abramovich sacks him.

Every cloud etc..

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2007, 7:07 PM
Yes we might be blessed in another way that Ruud Gullit got the LA Galaxy job and is now off the market :D

Stuttgart88
17/11/2007, 7:46 PM
Russia hit post to win it, seconds later concede a goal. Don't tell me England aren't jammy.

Croatia losing with less than 20 to go. Both teams now need a draw I think.

shakermaker1982
17/11/2007, 7:52 PM
Russia hit post to win it, seconds later concede a goal. Don't tell me England aren't jammy.

if we needed Russia to have drawn/lost tonight they'd have gone and won 3 nil away from home!!!:mad:

at least ING GER LAND will have McClaren for another 2 years at least. They will be lucky to reach another Q Finals berth.

stojkovic
17/11/2007, 8:25 PM

Croatia qualified when Russia lost.

Nothing to play for tonight or on Wednesday.