PDA

View Full Version : Liam Daish to be assisted by 20k fans in picking his team

OwlsFan
14/11/2007, 10:21 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/g/gravesend_and_northfleet/7089473.stm

Interesting concept.

Heard something similar a few weks ago again on radio about a team in Israel that operated the same way - fans picking the team, selecting the tactics and deciding on substitutions - seemed to be working but that was just after two games.

shanman2
14/11/2007, 10:34 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/g/gravesend_and_northfleet/7089473.stm

Interesting concept.

Heard something similar a few weks ago again on radio about a team in Israel that operated the same way - fans picking the team, selecting the tactics and deciding on substitutions - seemed to be working but that was just after two games.

That would never work in the long term, Its a terrible idea...:mad:

OwlsFan
14/11/2007, 11:42 AM
Try telling that to the fans on foot.ie who are forever telling the manager what team to pick ;)

Stuttgart88
14/11/2007, 12:23 PM
Try telling that to the fans on foot.ie who are forever telling the manager what team to pick ;)
And who can never agree!

superfrank
14/11/2007, 12:28 PM
Poor chap. I'd walk if I were him.

dcfcsteve
14/11/2007, 12:31 PM
I predict it will all end in chaos/tears, and Ebbsfleet will be ruined by the whole experience.

That'll teach them for selling their soul for a couple of pieces of silver and a pipe-dream...

OwlsFan
14/11/2007, 1:16 PM
That'll teach them for selling their soul for a couple of pieces of silver and a pipe-dream...

€700,000 to you is a "couple of pieces of silver"?. Who are you? Bill Gates in disguise?

Roadend
14/11/2007, 1:20 PM
They're big pieces of silver though.

dcfcsteve
14/11/2007, 4:06 PM
€700,000 to you is a "couple of pieces of silver"?. Who are you? Bill Gates in disguise?

It was a biblical reference to the fact that Judas sold out..... : oh - forget it.... :rolleyes:

Ebsfleet have £700k now. That won't be much use to them when the whole thing collapses and they're left with the wreakage.

Billy Lord
14/11/2007, 11:29 PM
******* one and all. Typical 'I watch footie on TV' types. I hope they lose every penny.

Sligo Hornet
15/11/2007, 8:04 AM
Will NEVER work.....can you imagine team selections 3 times a week:eek:

Or worse still substitutions during a game....."press the green button for a forward, the blue button for midfield...etc"....then a load of members hit the yellow button by mistake and you end up with two goalkeepers on the field at the same time!!!:D

OwlsFan
15/11/2007, 9:56 AM
It was a biblical reference to the fact that Judas sold out..... : oh - forget it.... :rolleyes:

It was 30 pieces of silver. Not to be sniffed at in those day ;). Let's be honest, wouldn't the fans have picked a better team than the ones Stan sent out? So why can't it work in what's its name? Must keep an eye out for it.

Bluebeard
15/11/2007, 12:45 PM
I just look forward to seeing the fans chanting John, jeff, paddy, mary, michael, fatmichael, elvis, sam, sam'smate, steve, glumsteve, englishsteve, anthony, joe, joechoons, joey, jothegirl, jordan, jemima, geekwithehandle, george, peter, pedro (... some other names are mentioned...) billy, willy, will, bill, william, liam and garry's red and white army.

derm02
15/11/2007, 1:29 PM
After investigating this a bit it's hard to see what wreakage the club could be in if it fails. Ebbsfleet have debts of £350,000 that they're struggling to repay, falling crowds (circa 600 at some games), don't own their own ground and can only afford to give some players 1 year contracts. They have plans to build a new stadium but have struggled to come up with their end of the funds needed. Doesn't look like they have a helluva lot to lose and it was them who approached MyFootballClub.

Meanwhile MyFootballClub will put 79% of all members' fees directly into the club (minus admin & website fees), how it will be allocated will be decided by the members. Fans of the club are also welcome to become members themselves. Members will vote on the team lineup and formation based on the recommendations and updates of Liam Daish. Liam will also provide training updates. He will be in charge during the game.

If the members wish to sell out of the club all monies raised will go to charity.

The main drawbacks that I can see are not fostering the development of young players (will they be given the chance to play?), not attracting talented coaching staff or players, the potential for alienating the original supporters (although allowing them to have a say may alleviate this) and the possibility of it becoming a Franchise FC.

All in all tho' it's an novel concept, I'll be following it with interest.

Réiteoir
15/11/2007, 2:50 PM
Nothing but a massive scam that'll result in another club going to the wall - and someone connected with this whole venture creaming off the remaining cash as "admin fees"

The HQ of this whole RobMyClub.com thing isn't a nice set of plush offices - but a top floor flat in West London.

Fully expect to see Ebbsfleet going to the wall in a couple of years maximum

jjppc
15/11/2007, 7:30 PM
Billy Lord;
******* one and all. Typical 'I watch footie on TV' types. I hope they lose every penny
That will be me then, having invested the £35 in the Summer, out of interest, to see how the whole thing works out. Thought it might be some sort of scam having heard nothing for ages and then Ebbsfleet comes along out of the blue.

Not sure how I feel about it at the moment, with no emotional attachment to the team( think Glaziers) or a clue about their players,( think recent Ireland manager, sorry Stan ) set-up etc.

I'll keep you posted as to what happens, if your interested. You never know it might be a blueprint for foot.ie to takeover an EL team !

Sligo Hornet
16/11/2007, 6:32 AM
Billy Lord;
That will be me then, having invested the £35 in the Summer, out of interest, to see how the whole thing works out. Thought it might be some sort of scam having heard nothing for ages and then Ebbsfleet comes along out of the blue.

Not sure how I feel about it at the moment, with no emotional attachment to the team( think Glaziers) or a clue about their players,( think recent Ireland manager, sorry Stan ) set-up etc.

I'll keep you posted as to what happens, if your interested. You never know it might be a blueprint for foot.ie to takeover an EL team !

F*ck an EL team...we'll take over the National Team!:D

Bluebeard
16/11/2007, 8:04 AM
F*ck an EL team...we'll take over the National Team!:D

So that would be about 300 people with an investment of about €6 by my reckoning.

derm02
16/11/2007, 8:08 AM
The HQ of this whole RobMyClub.com thing isn't a nice set of plush offices - but a top floor flat in West London.

Fully expect to see Ebbsfleet going to the wall in a couple of years maximum

Interesting, we appear to have different philosophies. Personally if a set of plush offices were the HQ of an organisation that's purpotedly a fan-based initiative with one vote per fan, I'd be highly suspicious. I'd be interesting in your views on open-source software, most of which start off out of someone's flat/house...

Sligo Hornet
16/11/2007, 8:17 AM
So that would be about 300 people with an investment of about €6 by my reckoning.

Sure that'll be plenty won't it Beardy:D

Réiteoir
16/11/2007, 9:02 AM
Interesting, we appear to have different philosophies. Personally if a set of plush offices were the HQ of an organisation that's purpotedly a fan-based initiative with one vote per fan, I'd be highly suspicious. I'd be interesting in your views on open-source software, most of which start off out of someone's flat/house...

I'm sure that one bloke working out of a top floor flat in London doesn't need £375,000 per year for "admin costs" independent of the club budget.

tbh - this is the same as MK Dons/Franchise rubbish

A get rich quick scheme for one bloke - sod the consequences...

lofty9
16/11/2007, 1:09 PM
I'm sure that one bloke working out of a top floor flat in London doesn't need £375,000 per year for "admin costs" independent of the club budget.

tbh - this is the same as MK Dons/Franchise rubbish

A get rich quick scheme for one bloke - sod the consequences...

Well fair play to whoever it is. Wish I had have thought of something as innovative to help pay my mortgage.

Réiteoir
16/11/2007, 1:23 PM
Aye - Kudos to the chap clever enough who thought of this - thereby proving there's enough saps out there willing to part with their cash and probably end up killing a club off.

The market over here if someone came up with "Pay €60 and own part of a English club that could get into the Premier**** next season" would be enormous - as we've seen there's enough idiots willing to follow the Queen's Teams.

Keeps them away from us though :D

Sligo Hornet
16/11/2007, 2:20 PM
Aye - Kudos to the chap clever enough who thought of this - thereby proving there's enough saps out there willing to part with their cash and probably end up killing a club off.

True enough.....I always have a feeling of "admiration" for the cons who put adverts in newspapers asking people to send £10 to find out "How to become a millionaire".Certainly have no sympathy for fools who respond!

jjppc
16/11/2007, 4:18 PM

The market over here if someone came up with "Pay €60 and own part of a English club that could get into the Premier**** next season" would be enormous - as we've seen there's enough idiots willing to follow the Queen's Teams.

Keeps them away from us though :D

True enough.....I always have a feeling of "admiration" for the cons who put adverts in newspapers asking people to send £10 to find out "How to become a millionaire".Certainly have no sympathy for fools who respond!

Thanks for the support lads, good to see the spirit of adventure is alive and well on foot.ie.

Early days yet, lets see what happens.

Réiteoir
16/11/2007, 6:10 PM
Rather be sane and proper than pumping cash into a venture like that

Worse than barstoolers some of those lot

OwlsFan
08/04/2008, 4:07 PM
Looks as if the experiment has worked well :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/gravesend_and_northfleet/7281378.stm

drinkfeckarse
09/04/2008, 1:38 PM
Jeez he doesn't look 39 anyway :D