PDA

View Full Version : Irish U-23 latest

Pages : [1] 2

Poor Student
13/11/2007, 7:54 PM
We're winning 2-0. Brennan and Peers have scored.

sligoman
13/11/2007, 7:56 PM
Starting 11:

Barry Murphy - Shamrock Rovers,
Ger O’Brien - Shamrock Rovers,
Conor Powell – Bohemians,
Conor Kenna – UCD,
Gavin Peers - Sligo Rovers,
Paul Keegan - Drogheda United,
John Paul Kelly – Bohemians,
Stephen Rice – Bohemians,
Denis Behan - Cork City,
David Mooney - Longford Town,
Killian Brennan - Derry City

Substitutes:
Darren Quigley – UCD,
Conor Sammon – UCD,
Stephen O’Donnell – Bohemians,
Sean Kelly - Cork City,
Stephen Bradley - Drogheda United,
Ger Rowe - Shamrock Rovers,
Patrick Kavanagh - Bray Wanderers.

Poor Student
13/11/2007, 8:00 PM
Cheers, Sligoman. Delighted for Conor Kenna, he got called into the U-21s a few years ago but had to withdraw due to injury.

Buller
13/11/2007, 8:04 PM
excellent!! too bad its been made a TOP SECRET fixture by the FAI...
Any idea who plays for this Slovakian team?

sligoman
13/11/2007, 8:18 PM
Any idea who plays for this Slovakian team?Slovakia: Lukas Hrosso, Jakub Furman, Michal Gallo, Peter Janokis, Peter Cogley, David Lesko, Jan Zapotoka, Peter Shlek, Martin Juhar, Marck Khzma, Michal Duris.
Substitutes: Dalibor Roznik, Milos Lacny, Peter Katona, Csaba Gabris, Mikulas Toth.
he's a rovers player nowI'm aware he plays for shams now, blame the FAI, it's from their website.

sligoman
13/11/2007, 8:24 PM
theres no such team as shams sunshineYeah ok, good post:rolleyes:

hoopy
13/11/2007, 8:27 PM
[QUOTE=sligoman;814105]Starting 11:

Barry Murphy - Shamrock Rovers,
Ger O’Brien - Shamrock Rovers,
Conor Powell – Bohemians,
Conor Kenna – UCD,
Gavin Peers - Sligo Rovers,
Paul Keegan - Drogheda United,
John Paul Kelly – Bohemians,
Stephen Rice – Bohemians,
Denis Behan - Cork City,
David Mooney - Longford Town,
Killian Brennan - Derry City
QUOTE]

he's a rovers player now

Fitzgypo has him down as a Bohs player as well. Either he didn't do the piece and someone else got the squad off the FAI website, or he just can't say goodbye.

Dodge
13/11/2007, 9:34 PM
Yeah ok, good post:rolleyes:

It made me laugh. As did your completely predictable reply

Boh_So_Good
13/11/2007, 11:15 PM
In terms of an Irish sporting context were does tonight's result for the U-23s stand among the Irish nation and our vast army of alkie "we" and "us" Premiership journalists:

Above or Below the FAI private jet for serial spoofer Steven Ireland and the unconditional support this maggot got from Dunphy and Brady on RTE for no other reason than he was a British soccer player.

Above or Below Ackrington Stanley's performance in the FA cup?

Above or Below the consumer value which the extra 2 Euros in tax RTE is going to take for us so masterpieces such as The English Class and Dunphy's and Brady's moving defence of Staphen Ireland can light up our TV screens?

Answers on a post card to: Irish Union of Journalist, the DT Ward, Any Addiction Treatment centre.

Well done to the lads - great performance tonight I thought.

pineapple stu
13/11/2007, 11:21 PM
OK game; died in the second half, although not that many subs were used (only about four on each side).

Having never paid much attention to opposition players before, a couple of players stood out - Behan's first touch was superb, Keegan in centre mid was excellent and Mooney was very busy, although he missed a glaring chance after being set up by Behan.

Murphy didn't command his area very well at all, I thought - happy to leave balls go across his six yard area - but did deal with the few shots that came his way perfectly competently. Defence weren't really tested at all. Kelly on the right was poor, I thought - Slovakia gave him far too much space, which he'd run through quite happily before either shooting straight at the keeper, getting tackled or misplacing a pass.

Fairly comfortable win though; could have had one or two more, but really worth nothing more than the novelty and enjoyment of seeing something approaching an eL XI on the same pitch.

feo123
14/11/2007, 1:32 AM
wasa decent first half, got boring in the 2nd half imo, but all in all a good solid display from all involved. was a proud moment to see a rovers player score for the international side. thought peersy done quite well too. was impressed with o'brien at right full....keegan seemed to control the midfield battle, mooney wasnt great i thought, he looked tired. brennan threathened the slovaks all night from long range, he had a good game. their keeper was good, but a tad extravegent with some of the saves :D

Mr A
14/11/2007, 9:02 AM
Apparently Slovakia used their U20 team, which kinda takes the shine off the result.

pete
14/11/2007, 9:35 AM
Apparently Slovakia used their U20 team, which kinda takes the shine off the result.

Are they all based in Slovakia? I am curious how other countries picking their teams otherwise can't get any information from the results.

What kind of crowd last night? Must admit I thought of going but just too lazy...

BTW probably half that squad will be too old for the next game.

Mr A
14/11/2007, 9:57 AM
I think the Indo said 2200. Not too bad really, considering it had a low profile.

dcfcsteve
14/11/2007, 10:53 AM
I think the Indo said 2200. Not too bad really, considering it had a low profile.

That's a great crowd if it's the case.

seand
14/11/2007, 11:34 AM
It was a very, very impressive performance. Ireland dominated throughout and could have won by 6 or 7. Keegan, Behan and O'Brien stood out. Hard to know how good the Slovaks are, but if it was their under-21s they've presumably played together a bit before, unlike our lads. It was nice to see League of Ireland players representing their country and doing it well. Credit to Fenlon too, as the team played some great football, and tried to play it on the deck (now that's not very League of Ireland, is it?)

Decent crowd considering the lack of promotion. 2,200 was the official attendance announced on the night.

dcfcsteve
14/11/2007, 11:51 AM
It was a very, very impressive performance. Ireland dominated throughout and could have won by 6 or 7. Keegan, Behan and O'Brien stood out. Hard to know how good the Slovaks are, but if it was their under-21s they've presumably played together a bit before, unlike our lads. It was nice to see League of Ireland players representing their country and doing it well. Credit to Fenlon too, as the team played some great football, and tried to play it on the deck (now that's not very League of Ireland, is it?)

Decent crowd considering the lack of promotion. 2,200 was the official attendance announced on the night.

What was the atmosphere like ? Any singing ? Were people there in EL tops or Oireland ones ? Any of the EL banners there ?

I think the U23 things is a great move for EL players. It's the highest level of honour they'll get bar a full international cap. If we can play games on a regular basis and get some decent results, it might cause a few in the media to wake up a bit.

Ceirtlis
14/11/2007, 11:54 AM
What was the atmosphere like ? Any singing ? Were people there in EL tops or Oireland ones ? Any of the EL banners there ?

I think the U23 things is a great move for EL players. It's the highest level of honour they'll get bar a full international cap. If we can play games on a regular basis and get some decent results, it might cause a few in the media to wake up a bit.

Full U21 is a higher honour than this.

dcfcsteve
14/11/2007, 11:57 AM
Full U21 is a higher honour than this.

Only because it's not limited to the EL. On every other measure, U23 would be higher as it's older.

DmanDmythDledge
14/11/2007, 11:57 AM
BTW probably half that squad will be too old for the next game.
If you're eligible at the start of the campaign then you can play for the whole campaign.

pineapple stu
14/11/2007, 12:30 PM
It was a friendly. One large-ish group of kids started an "Ireland!" chant a couple of times, but it never got anywhere. Didn't actually see many Ireland jerseys. Don't think there were any banners? Saw Rovers, Bohs, Drogheda and (obviously) UCD jerseys/scarves. It felt like an eL taem for the eL fans, which was nice in a way.

People were generally interested more than involved.

Schumi
14/11/2007, 12:32 PM
What was the atmosphere like? Any singing?... Any of the EL banners there?No, it was mostly kids there. I doubt more than 20% of the crowd paid in.

Were people there in EL tops or Oireland ones?Neither, it was too cold for football tops! Mixture of Ireland & EL scarves, jackets etc.

pineapple stu
14/11/2007, 12:33 PM
I doubt more than 20% of the crowd paid in.
Yeah, I was walking up to the turnstiles with cash in my hand and someone gave me a free ticket. Rather wierd arrangement! Wasn't going to complain about E15 less to the FAI anyway.

Ceirtlis
14/11/2007, 12:33 PM
Only because it's not limited to the EL. On every other measure, U23 would be higher as it's older.

Only because no country in it will actually be using their best u23 team available to them and because there are only 8 teams competing. On every other level it is higher though yeah.

superfrank
14/11/2007, 12:41 PM
No, it was mostly kids there. I doubt more than 20% of the crowd paid in.
Bray were doing a deal for the Sligo game where the first 50 to buy a programme got 1 adult ticket and 2 childrens tickets to the match free. One of my mates ended up with 1 adult ticket and 3 childrens ones somehow.

pineapple stu
14/11/2007, 12:42 PM
We did a deal whereby if you asked the lad with loads of tickets in his hand nicely, you got a free one. ;)

Sheridan
14/11/2007, 12:45 PM
Half the players in the league were there, I saw about eight Bohs players, Stuey Byrne, Graham Gartland and loads more. Great to see them supporting their colleagues, it was a real hardcore LoI night. :cool:

Dodge
14/11/2007, 12:54 PM
If you're eligible at the start of the campaign then you can play for the whole campaign.
According to the rules of the makey up competition? What if players move to a club in another country? Rememberering that England don't have any age limits on their team

Poor Student
14/11/2007, 12:56 PM
When is the next game or is there a list of fixtures flying around somewhere?

pineapple stu
14/11/2007, 12:58 PM
Away to the North in March, and home to Belgium next November. That's it unless we get through the group.

sligoman
14/11/2007, 12:59 PM
Where's the game with N'Ireland gonna be on? Some IL team's ground?

Sheridan
14/11/2007, 1:00 PM
NI away in the spring then Belgium at home next autumn. Even though it's a low priority competition they should have got a Nordie ref to do last night's game or something, Winter and his assistants gave everything marginal to Ireland. Hopefully they'll sort it out for the rest of the tournament.

Although Ireland were clearly the better team and played superbly, the fact that most of the Irish players were a bit older and more experienced contributed to the extent of their dominance. Slovaks couldn't handle the strength and athleticism of Keegan and Rice at all.

pete
14/11/2007, 2:27 PM
Just like the B team for the U23 level to have any credibility the FAI need to also arrange friendlies.

BTW I presume B International is highest level/honour below full International?

dcfcsteve
14/11/2007, 3:10 PM
Just like the B team for the U23 level to have any credibility the FAI need to also arrange friendlies.

BTW I presume B International is highest level/honour below full International?

Do we still do B Internationals any more ? :confused:

I thought European football had moved onto U21 instead..?

Dodge
14/11/2007, 3:17 PM
WTF steve? There's always been both but B games are far rarer. B squad announced last week (with Dan Connor and Graham Gartland in it)

Sniffer
14/11/2007, 3:23 PM
Have written a wee report on last night's occasion if anybody's interested it's here (http://walkthechalk.blogspot.com/). For those of you who aren't interested it's still here (http://walkthechalk.blogspot.com/).:)

Buller
14/11/2007, 4:07 PM
Have written a wee report on last night's occasion if anybody's interested it's here (http://walkthechalk.blogspot.com/). For those of you who aren't interested it's still here (http://walkthechalk.blogspot.com/).:)

Very well written; do you work as a journalist?!! :confused:

monutdfc
14/11/2007, 4:40 PM
Stephen Rice is more of a footballer than an enforcer. I'd say with Keegan alongside him he got plenty of time to knock the ball around?

Sniffer
14/11/2007, 4:47 PM
Stephen Rice is more of a footballer than an enforcer. I'd say with Keegan alongside him he got plenty of time to knock the ball around?

Agree with your point, but Ireland weren't playing that kind of game.

Sniffer
14/11/2007, 4:48 PM
Very well written; do you work as a journalist?!! :confused:

No, walkthechalk.com is my mistress.:)

monutdfc
14/11/2007, 4:49 PM
Agree with your point, but Ireland weren't playing that kind of game.
OK; well-written piece btw, thanks for it

Poor Student
14/11/2007, 9:21 PM
What's the criteria for selection for the Northern Irish team in this tournament?

feo123
14/11/2007, 9:31 PM
whens the norn iron game on?

CollegeTillIDie
15/11/2007, 8:40 AM
This Under 23 development could have longer term significance.
Given the lack of interest, if not downright antipathy of the Bigger clubs, such as the
G 14 group in the concept of International football, it is conceivable that at some future point, all National teams will be made up solely( if not largely) of players based in domestic Leagues . i.e. Once a player moves to one of the so called Elite clubs of the World(i.e. English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A etc) they will no longer be released.
So England will be Championship based players.
Scotland will feature eligible Scottish players based in SPL clubs other than the Old Firm.
And here in the Republic it will be ELOI players and up North it will be Irish League and ,maybe in both cases, lower Division Brit club based players may be allowed play for their countries, purely to raise their profiles and increase their transfer fees.

Réiteoir
15/11/2007, 8:57 AM
Finland C 0-2 England C
Michael Morrison 34, Matt Tubbs 58

International Challenge Trophy
Wednesday 14 November 2007
Finnair Stadium, Helsinki

England C proved comfortable winners in Finland on Wednesday night, when goals either side of the break from Cambridge United defender Michael Morrison and Salisbury City striker Matt Tubbs propelled Paul Fairclough’s side to this International Challenge Group A Trophy victory.

On a night that Italy grounded Wales 4-2 on their own soil in the section’s other clash, Fairclough’s collection of primarily Blue Square Premier players held a fest of excuses to fail in an encounter played on a synthetic surface and Artic-like conditions in Helsinki.

A brutal coastal gust had plummeted the temperature to six degrees below freezing in the Finnish capital – winter arrives during the British autumn in the land that gifted vodka and mobile phones to the world.

Three days of snow flurries had given Fairclough food for contemplation – influential Oxford United destroyer Matthew Day no more than a spectator on the bench after a freak training injury on Monday.

With England fielding six new caps at this level in their starting eleven and with the testing conditions in place, it was a fine performance as the Three Lions stretched their unbeaten run to 14 competitive matches.

Fairclough, also chief at League Two side Barnet, hasn’t tasted a meaningful defeat at this level since May 2004 and the silver-haired Scouser relished the latest triumph with Stewart Lewis, one of the debutants, sparkling in a central midfield role alongside Aldershot schemer Lewis Chambers.

“If I was honest, I would have accepted a draw here – to get the victory is sensational, particularly when you consider that most of my lads wouldn’t have ever seen such difficult conditions,” he said.

“I don’t like picking out individuals for special praise, it’s not my way of course, but you have to say our central midfield was quite outstanding – Chalmers and Lewis were magnificent. Everything good came through that pair.”

Confident England should have been ahead in the sixth minute when Erkan Okay’s clever ball released Tubbs. He rounded Finland keeper Anssi Jaakkola before spearing his angled drive into the side netting.

Yet the visitors grabbed a vital lead in comic-cut fashion on 34 minutes. Russell Penn’s right-sided corner sparked mass confusion in the Finnish box, home defender Joni Aho deflecting against his own bar, before teammate Mehmet Hetemaj’s panic allowed Morrison to score from two yards.

Ebbsfleet stopper Lance Cronin’s brilliant twisting save thwarted Finland substitute Jarno Parikka six minutes after the hour mark, but this game had been wrapped up on 58 minutes, with Tubbs clinically lifting Penn’s slanted pass into the roof of the net.

England: Lance Cronin (Ebbsfleet United), John Brayford (Burton Albion), Liam Brownhill (Witton Albion), Lewis Chalmers (Aldershot Town), Ronnie Henry (C) (Stevenage Borough), Michael Morrison (Cambridge United), Russell Penn (Kidderminster Harriers), Stuart Lewis (Stevenage Borough), James Constable (Kidderminster Harriers), Matt Tubbs (Salisbury City), Erkan Okay (Histon)

Subs: Adam Bartlett (Blyth Spartans), Gleeson, Shaun Harrad (Burton Albion), Nathaniel Knight-Percival (Histon), Matt Day (Oxford United).

Réiteoir
15/11/2007, 8:59 AM
And the attendance for that game was the princely total of 179

feo123
15/11/2007, 9:47 AM
And the attendance for that game was the princely total of 179

more than what it would have been had our game been in slovakia

Sniffer
15/11/2007, 11:49 AM
whens the norn iron game on?

No date confirmed as yet, but expected to be around March

sligoman