PDA

View Full Version : Time to look north again

StarandCrescent
12/11/2007, 9:44 PM
The season is over down here so time once again to start taking a bit of interest in whats happening in the irish league. Is soccerbot up to date with the irish league positions, i know it wasn't for a while last season. If it is up to date then i see that newry and lisburn are doing well for themselves so far, but it's early days yet! Whats happend to Portadown, big clearout in the summer?

SolitudeRed
12/11/2007, 10:14 PM
The season is over down here so time once again to start taking a bit of interest in whats happening in the irish league. Is soccerbot up to date with the irish league positions, i know it wasn't for a while last season. If it is up to date then i see that newry and lisburn are doing well for themselves so far, but it's early days yet! Whats happend to Portadown, big clearout in the summer?

At the moment Glentoran and Cliftonville are joint top both are unbeaten but Glentoran have a better goal difference. Yes Newry have been doing well so far they are just a point behind along with Linfield. As for Distillery they were top for a while at the start but they've dropped back a bit now. Portadown have been struggling but I'd say they will improve during the season they brought Andy Smith back from England and as far as I know they didn't sell that many players during the summer.

Heres a link showing the latest table:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/irish_prem_tables/default.stm

Raheny Red
13/11/2007, 10:48 AM
Might head north over the winter if there are a few Redsmen interested

dcfcsteve
13/11/2007, 11:47 AM
Thank God Institute are back in the Premier, and playing at home this Boxing Day.

I had to go all the way to Dungannon to see a game last Christmas. Never realised how far the place was from Derry - I thought it was only about half an hour up the road !

Anyone know when Sky are planning on showinn gthe other 4 IL games they're due to air ? Will the Big Two Boxing Day derby be broadcast ? Should be really.

Steve Bruce
13/11/2007, 12:07 PM
Thank God Institute are back in the Premier, and playing at home this Boxing Day.

I had to go all the way to Dungannon to see a game last Christmas. Never realised how far the place was from Derry - I thought it was only about half an hour up the road !

Anyone know when Sky are planning on showinn gthe other 4 IL games they're due to air ? Will the Big Two Boxing Day derby be broadcast ? Should be really.

Glentoran vs Linfield - 26th December 5:0pm
Linfield vs Cliftonville - 7th January 7:45pm

Flexy
13/11/2007, 12:08 PM
Steve the Belfast derby is live on sky on Boxing Day, i think part of the package is also to show the Irish cup final as well

Steve Bruce
13/11/2007, 12:19 PM
Steve the Belfast derby is live on sky on Boxing Day, i think part of the package is also to show the Irish cup final as well

I don't think the Irish Cup Final is anything to do with Sky, I think the BBC still has that.

But could be wrong though.

I presume this post was directed to DCFCSteve?

dcfcsteve
13/11/2007, 12:56 PM
Glentoran vs Linfield - 26th December 5:0pm

Assuming the other games are at 3pm on Boxing Day, that means I can watch Institute and then get the Big Two game on Sky in the pub..... :)

Steve Bruce
13/11/2007, 2:06 PM
Assuming the other games are at 3pm on Boxing Day, that means I can watch Institute and then get the Big Two game on Sky in the pub..... :)

You can indeed. Oh and Linfield are undefeated in 18 years on Boxing day;)

Pablo
13/11/2007, 3:10 PM

Boxing day :eek:

Assimilation is complete :p

Graemerz
13/11/2007, 4:11 PM
CIS Insurance League Cup Final: Linfield vs. Crusaders (Sat 8th December 2007) and JJB Sports Irish Cup Final (Sat 3rd May 2008) will be broadcasted live on BBC Northern Ireland.

Graemerz
13/11/2007, 4:15 PM

You could have went to Limavady v. Larne last year... that would have been much closer... I'm sure the atmosphere was electric... :rolleyes::D

dcfcsteve
13/11/2007, 6:33 PM
Boxing day :eek:

Assimilation is complete :p

Assimilation as what - a Northerner...? :rolleyes:

It's only the Repuiblic that calls is St stephen's Day, you know......

dcfcsteve
13/11/2007, 6:36 PM
You could have went to Limavady v. Larne last year... that would have been much closer... I'm sure the atmosphere was electric... :rolleyes::D

I was at Limavady v Institute the year before that in what was shocking weather, so fancied a trip to see a different ground instead last year.

Stangmore definitely nicer than Limavady Showgrounds - though a lot further from Derry than I'd thought.

Pablo
13/11/2007, 8:41 PM

It ok, we understand. ;)

Cosmo
13/11/2007, 10:21 PM
theres a few of us taking in a few portadown matches during the break - the main one being Portadown V Glentoran on the sat after xmas, looking forward to that one :)!!

Went to a cople of their matches last season too and i must say the standard is shocking up there (bar the top couple of clubs)

Steve Bruce
13/11/2007, 11:37 PM
theres a few of us taking in a few portadown matches during the break - the main one being Portadown V Glentoran on the sat after xmas, looking forward to that one :)!!

Went to a cople of their matches last season too and i must say the standard is shocking up there (bar the top couple of clubs)

The bottom 6 are absolutley awful and shouldn't be part of our league.

Although their are one or two good players among them so when 4 get the chop the good players will be recruited by the other teams and the bad players will be released, hopefully this on its own will increase the standard of our league.

The top 5 or 6 teams are decent enough. Bar Linfield none of them would challange down their for the league title, but do think they would be above the relegation.(i know we arent winning our league at hte moment, but we will)

Graemerz
14/11/2007, 9:30 AM
Stangmore definitely nicer than Limavady Showgrounds - though a lot further from Derry than I'd thought.

You'll find every Premier League ground (bar Donegal Celtic) and even a few in the First Division are a lot nicer than Limavady Showgrounds.

Mr_Parker
14/11/2007, 9:40 AM

Not true.

dcfcsteve
14/11/2007, 11:56 AM
Not true.

OK - in this part of the world it's only the Republic who call it that.

My point was that in the North we call it Boxing Day - hence Pablo's snide remark back-fired on his partitionist ass...... :D :p

dcfcsteve
14/11/2007, 11:57 AM
You'll find every Premier League ground (bar Donegal Celtic) and even a few in the First Division are a lot nicer than Limavady Showgrounds.

Thankfully they at least had a social club/bar at Limavady that we could shelter in from the gale-force rain, and a KFC on the way back into Dery for a feeding....:D

I won't be back in a hurry though.