PDA

View Full Version : Comings and goings

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
12/11/2007, 4:25 PM
Going to leave the Andy Myler thread to speculation and keeping an eye on former players. This one's for actual news.

Ronan Finn has signed for next season, still on scholarship. That's an end to any rumours to Derry (as if his dad laughing at them wasn't enough).

Apparently Pete Mahon won't be head of the academy next year. Whether that's because (a) he wasn't offered it, (b) he turned it down or (c) both parties have him in mind for something else, I don't know.

Ian Bermingham has signed a pre-contract deal for Stockport (I think) and will move on a free in the next couple of weeks.

Poor Student
12/11/2007, 6:12 PM
Delighted that Finn has signed on for another year. We need to get Kenna, McNally and McFaul signed up for next year above all now. Hopefully Quigley will stay, but it's hard to know what his future is.

DmanDmythDledge
12/11/2007, 6:20 PM
We need to get Kenna, McNally and McFaul signed up for next year above all now. Hopefully Quigley will stay, but it's hard to know what his future is.
To be honest (apart from McNally) we need Sammo more. We have replacements for the others (McMillan, King), none for Sammo. Timmy's attitude is terrible- I can't see him being kept on, Moran isn't mature enough yet- spends too much time showboating and Forsyth is a completely different type of player.

McNally is staying part time so I'd imagine he will re-sign. McFaul could be leaving, don't have a clue about Kenna. Quigley joined the fire brigade recently so is almost definitely staying.

Poor Student
12/11/2007, 7:17 PM
Why all the negativity for Purcell? He assisted the CPO with postering before, seems to have a decent positive attitude to the club.

DmanDmythDledge
12/11/2007, 8:25 PM
Why all the negativity for Purcell? He assisted the CPO with postering before, seems to have a decent positive attitude to the club.
His attitude on the pitch is awful. Always plays for himself, not the team. To give one example; at the U21 game at the weekend he tried to beat three men at once rather than play the simple paass to the player in space. Paul Somers was calling him for about 30 seconds until he actually turned around to listen to what his manager had to say to him- complete disrespect towards him. Spends most of the time moaning to the ref and diving when he's in a 90-10 challenge in his favour. If he doesn't sort himself out quick next season he'll be shipped out on loan in July and never be seen again at UCD.

mcglinchey
14/11/2007, 2:59 PM
His attitude on the pitch is awful. Always plays for himself, not the team. If he doesn't sort himself out quick next season he'll be shipped out on loan in July and never be seen again at UCD.

you're dead right dman purcell has a terrible attitude on and off the pitch. plays for himself and not the team. doesnt deserve to be at ucd.. should be shipped down to kilkenny or somewhere..never to be seen at ucd again....

Titan
15/11/2007, 10:49 AM
you're dead right dman purcell has a terrible attitude on and off the pitch. plays for himself and not the team. doesnt deserve to be at ucd.. should be shipped down to kilkenny or somewhere..never to be seen at ucd again....

RANT!

Ok Cant standby and allow this character assasination! Timmy has helped me greatly this year. I dont pay him but if ever I need anything done he does it. In the lead up to the cup-semi he postered the college along with poor student, Did leaflet drops all over campus and promoted the match to the Superleague teams. ALL ON HIS OWN TIME. Previously he has helped with general match promotions and is genuinely interested in helping the club out.
Not sure if you know him personally or not but I would say not. We have really struggled for volunteers this year and apart from the lads on here Timmy,Billy Brennan, Deccy and Eoghan O'Malley (who works in the sports centre with me) have been the only ones to help with the boring time consuming stuff for free!
As for his attitude on the pitch He was obviously dissapointed with being dropped at a crucial stage of the season and maybe his reaction was'nt the best but hes young and still has a lot to learn!

END RANT

John83
15/11/2007, 11:36 AM
Timmy's only played a handful of senior games, so I'd be very reluctant to draw conclusions from what I've seen of him. At that point in his career, Sammo looked like a fish out of water.

What Dmanetc sees as selfish behaviour might just be an inexperienced player with a poor eye for a pass, or low confidence in his own passing. Either of those can be worked on.

Poor Student
15/11/2007, 12:52 PM
I've actually been pleased with him on the few occasions I've seen him play for the seniors. He didn't set the game alight or anything but he seemed to try hard to chase down the ball and didn't let up on defenders. Also, as Titan says and I said before, I respect him for his helping out the club on a voluntary basis.

John83
15/11/2007, 5:07 PM
...I respect him for his helping out the club on a voluntary basis.
That has to be commended too.

DmanDmythDledge
15/11/2007, 5:13 PM
Timmy's only played a handful of senior games, so I'd be very reluctant to draw conclusions from what I've seen of him. At that point in his career, Sammo looked like a fish out of water.
After being at the club for over 12 months Sammo had established himself as the club's top striker.

John83
15/11/2007, 5:31 PM
After being at the club for over 12 months Sammo had established himself as the club's top striker.
He had one start, eight substitute appearances, no goals. We're not that **** up front.

DmanDmythDledge
15/11/2007, 5:33 PM
At the end of last season? I thought Sammo signed in 2005?

John83
15/11/2007, 5:37 PM
At the end of last season? I thought Sammo signed in 2005?
No, he was coming off the bench occasionally in 2004. He may have been playing for the U21s in 2003 or earlier, but I can't tell. I doubt it, given his age.

pineapple stu
16/11/2007, 3:23 AM
Alas, no. Sammo made his debut down in Cork at the start of the 2005 season.

John83
16/11/2007, 10:20 AM
Alas, no. Sammo made his debut down in Cork at the start of the 2005 season.
Sorry, yes, add a year to all of the years mentioned in my last post. He's been here 3 years so.

John83
16/11/2007, 10:27 AM
His attitude on the pitch is awful. Always plays for himself, not the team. To give one example; at the U21 game at the weekend he tried to beat three men at once rather than play the simple paass to the player in space. Paul Somers was calling him for about 30 seconds until he actually turned around to listen to what his manager had to say to him- complete disrespect towards him. Spends most of the time moaning to the ref and diving when he's in a 90-10 challenge in his favour. If he doesn't sort himself out quick next season he'll be shipped out on loan in July and never be seen again at UCD.
Timmy left you a voicemail last night. He's not impressed. :P

He points out that he played in all of our league wins this year. Also, his watch is huge, and he used partner Anthony Stokes. So there!

In fairness, he played very well last night.

Which reminds me, man of the match Pat Mullins was insistent that he get mentioned here. We spent the game thinking of him as 'that centre half we don't recognize', so I wrote his name down.

John83
16/11/2007, 10:42 AM
That reminds me, Timmy said that Bolger wasn't too happy with me. I couldn't remember anything to provoke that, so I just did a search for my posts with Bolger in them.

Bolger was muck when he came on.

Bolger hasn't inspired any confidence in me that he's ready yet - looks very lightweight.

Bolger was poor last night - hardly completed a pass. We're definitely missing all those other centre mids!
Er, sorry Bolger. If it helps, Pineapple Stu thinks you're a good prospect.

DmanDmythDledge
08/12/2007, 6:11 PM
Who have we actually officially confirmed for next season? Just Ronan Finn?

pineapple stu
08/12/2007, 11:13 PM
Who have we actually officially confirmed for next season? Just Ronan Finn?

Think everyone's been offered new contracts, which means we're looking a similar situation to last year - maybe lose one or two (Sammon, Tony, Bermo, McFaul), but should keep most of the squad. We've lost no-one we haven't a replacement for either.

Burnsie
09/12/2007, 11:53 AM
Tony Mac's leaving?

edit: at least the other thread titles before posting ...

DmanDmythDledge
11/12/2007, 11:32 PM
Paul Crowley has signed for Dundalk.
http://www.dundalkfc.com/home.html

Only leaves Ronan Finn and Brian King as our only central midfielders who have proven themselves at Premier Divison level. Seriously need some experienced cover now.

CollegeTillIDie
12/12/2007, 6:27 AM
Paul Crowley signed for Dundalk per official press release by The Lillywhites. No Crowley, No Tony Mac, ropey season ahead, if what Dmand has suggested doesn't happen! Robbie Martin also went there for the record. Alan Mahon has played defensive midfield for the club in his early days during one of Tony's injury lay-offs.

Poor Student
12/12/2007, 1:40 PM
Creates some room for Bolger and Tony Doyle (not sure if he has a place in the centre in senior football though) to step up. Conan Byrne and Alan McNally have also played there in the past. Also, Mahon pulled McFaul out of nowhere to play there this season, who knows who we may bring in next season?

Shoot me for even suggesting this, but isn't Alan Reynolds floating about without a club?

Aberdonian Stu
12/12/2007, 2:18 PM
I doubt we'd move for him.

Hulsey
12/12/2007, 2:31 PM
Is Hurley still under contract with you's. Please tell me he wasn't signed permanently he was cack this year

DmanDmythDledge
12/12/2007, 2:41 PM
He was on a season long loan but won't be coming back to UCD. Don't know where he'll end up.

pineapple stu
12/12/2007, 4:13 PM
Shoot me for even suggesting this, but isn't Alan Reynolds floating about without a club?
Remind me to shoot you next time so.

Don't forget, with the academy supposedly starting next year, we're supposed to be signing a couple of (relatively) experienced players from England. Interesting to see what materialises there.

As it is, I don't think the team has weakened particularly so far - just the bench. Which obviously isn't ideal, but even five years ago, these departures would have hurt us a lot more than they will now. Still got a team like -

Quigley
Mahon
Gallagher
Kenna
McNally
Conan
Doyler
King
Finn
McWalter
Byrne

Subs -
Gregg
Timmy
Evan
Fitz
Bolger

And I'm sure I've left a couple of really obvious players out there.

U-C-D
12/12/2007, 8:42 PM
yea pineapple id definately have fran in there ahead of mcwalter if not on the bench. on the bright side john brophy and ciaran harte are returning from shels! surprised they let crowley go to, only experienced midfielder and cant see bolger or tony doyle makin the step up next year.

Neither bermo or mcfaul are defo gone yet anyway and id expect to see bermo play another season before movin to england he's still only 18.

DmanDmythDledge
12/12/2007, 10:44 PM
So you're Fran Moran yeah?

Good to see Harte and Brophy returning. Harte now has first team experience and is good enough for Premier Division. Brophy is a better option than Forsyth or Purcell, close enough between himself and Moran imo. Moran would probably be a better partner for Paul Byrne. Still think we need a proven striker, experienced centre mid and left wing cover to complete squad.

Schumi
13/12/2007, 12:16 PM
Still think we need a proven striker, experienced centre mid and left wing cover to complete squad.And a right back.

I thought Shels fans weren't too enamoured with Harte last year? Is he likely to make much impact on our team?

U-C-D
13/12/2007, 1:07 PM
i think harte is good enough, better than greg in my opinion! i think we are ok for left mids with doyler mcwalter and moran as cover if needed, whilst playin fitz and conan on wither flank is also an option.

striker, centre mid, right back!

has cawley been sold or on loan? i no he'll never be back but if only....

Student Mullet
13/12/2007, 1:29 PM
What's wrong with our right back?

John83
13/12/2007, 3:14 PM
What's wrong with our right back?
There's only one of him. Also, he's getting a bit long in the tooth, so it can't hurt to have an alternative.

DmanDmythDledge
13/12/2007, 5:14 PM
And a right back.

I thought Shels fans weren't too enamoured with Harte last year? Is he likely to make much impact on our team?
I was going on the presumption that we have Sulli.

Many of their fans said he was Premier Division standard and was one of their bettter players in the first half of last season. When he went to the world student games he lost his place in the team and never really got a look in after that.

i think we are ok for left mids with doyler mcwalter and moran as cover if needed...

has cawley been sold or on loan? i no he'll never be back but if only....
Doyler won't be fit at the beginning of the season and Moran is naturally a striker and hasn't exactly covered himself in glory playing there for the U21.

Cawley is at Bray on a permanent deal.

pineapple stu
13/12/2007, 5:55 PM
Harte's played ten times for us over a couple of years and I didn't see anything particular to think he'd be as good as Finn, Bolger and King, to be honest.

Always like Brophy - bustling forward who's never really gotten a chance in the first team, but who's done well in the 21s and looked OK in the first team too. Shels put him at centre half, and then he broke his leg, so he's basically had a year off though.

DmanDmythDledge
15/12/2007, 8:35 PM
Harte's played ten times for us over a couple of years and I didn't see anything particular to think he'd be as good as Finn, Bolger and King, to be honest.
I don't think he is either, but he would make a good squad player.

DmanDmythDledge
16/12/2007, 11:13 AM
Matt Gregg to Bray now official.
http://www.braywanderers.ie/index.php?id=600&backPID=551&tt_news=271

pineapple stu
16/12/2007, 5:13 PM
Oh well. If Shay Kelly comes back, as rumoured, it'll be no loss. Gregg apparently wasn't one for being overly concerned with body fat tests and the likes, although I thought we'd keep him.

Probably one of our biggest culls in recent years, although the first XI still seems as strong as last season. It's the bench which is looking a bit empty. Still, that's usually the case at this stage of pre-season.

DmanDmythDledge
18/12/2007, 4:21 PM
Think everyone's been offered new contracts
Apparantly nobody (or at least a number of key players) has been offered a new contract. Disgraceful if true.

I think Evan McMillan has a year remaining on his current contract.

John83
18/12/2007, 4:33 PM
Apparantly nobody (or at least a number of key players) has been offered a new contract. Disgraceful if true.

I think Evan McMillan has a year remaining on his current contract.
He's scholarship, I thought?

I'll assume Pete and the board know what they're doing regards contracts before making comments about the gracefulness or otherwise of rumours.

pineapple stu
18/12/2007, 5:03 PM
Pretty sure you posted this exact same thing this time last year.

DmanDmythDledge
18/12/2007, 5:11 PM
Pretty sure you posted this exact same thing this time last year.
:confused: Eh....no.

pineapple stu
18/12/2007, 5:26 PM
Think you PM-ed around a photo shot of Darren Quigley's bebo at the time.

DmanDmythDledge
18/12/2007, 5:37 PM
Remember that now- thought you meant something I had posted.

IIRC that said that nobody signed. Bit of a difference to not hearing anything from Pete. Interesting to find out if that's due to other things going on behind the scenes or just not getting around to it.

pineapple stu
18/12/2007, 9:07 PM
Remember that now- thought you meant something I had posted.

IIRC that said that nobody signed. Bit of a difference to not hearing anything from Pete. Interesting to find out if that's due to other things going on behind the scenes or just not getting around to it.
I was talking to Maccer two weeks ago and he said everyone'd been offered deals anyway.

JR_Ewing
01/01/2008, 9:19 PM
players back to training on thursday so will be interesting to see who'd new in.

CollegeTillIDie
04/01/2008, 8:09 AM
Any word on a back up keeper? Did Seamus Kelly return?

JR_Ewing
04/01/2008, 5:43 PM
was only a fitness thing last night. proper training resumes next week apparently! :D New signings should be present then. will be interesting to see what approach is taken with the theoretical 3 team system in operation next season.

Martinho II
04/01/2008, 6:11 PM
Any word on a back up keeper? Did Seamus Kelly return?
apparently seamie kelly is stayin with us as captain...:)