2. Brian Shelley (Drogheda United)
3. Simon Webb (Drogheda United)
4. Joe Gamble (Cork City)
5. Ken Oman (Derry City)
6. Graham Gartland (Drogheda United)
7. Keith Fahey (St Patrick’s Athletic)
8. Adam Hughes (Sligo Rovers)
9. David Mooney (Longford Town)
10. Mark Quigley (St Patrick’s Athletic)
11. Derek O’Brien (Galway United)

galwaygirl
12/11/2007, 2:18 PM
Well done kerryman, congrats :)

GuisaSaigon
12/11/2007, 2:42 PM
Fair play, happy for Derek. Well done!

gufct
12/11/2007, 3:06 PM
Well done Derek now all we need to do is tie him down to a new contract.

Jbobs
12/11/2007, 5:12 PM
Fair play, 100% deserved!

Tir Oilean
12/11/2007, 7:38 PM
Top marks Derek well done. Hope you stay.

Trainee
13/11/2007, 3:02 PM
Top marks Derek well done. Hope you stay.

Congrats Derek:)
Fair play to Derek for signing a new deal even though he had an offer from another club with more money

GuisaSaigon
14/11/2007, 5:00 PM
According to the Galway Independent online Derek is moving on.. :mad:

"However, play of the year Derek O'Brien will be moving on after the club was unable to agree terms"

Here's the article http://www.galwayindependent.com/sport/sport/cousins-unveils-plans-for-next-season/

I hope this is just a terrible mix up.
afaik he has signed for us, I'd say it's just a bad error on the Independent's behalf

Patrick Dunne
14/11/2007, 5:10 PM
I met him yesterday and he told in person that he is staying.

The printed version of the paper states that he is staying.

galwaygirl
14/11/2007, 6:24 PM
I met him yesterday and he told in person that he is staying.

The printed version of the paper states that he is staying.
ya, he has definitely signed.....

WoodquayBoy
14/11/2007, 7:39 PM
According to the Galway Independent online Derek is moving on.. :mad:

Of all the papers to get it wrong, I am surprised at that one considering who their soccer, and general sports, correspondent is.;)

lofty9
23/11/2007, 10:29 AM
“And the reason why I can’t name anyone is that we put forward a very good offer to Galway United winger, Derek O’Brien, having had him watched on a number of occasions. We felt he would do well for us, we spoke to him and everything appeared to be agreed and settled. We actually agreed terms with him offering extra incentives if he did well at the Brandywell. I’ve been informed that he said his goodbyes to the Galway players after their last game of the season and we expected him to arrive in Derry with his wife and two children the following week.

“However, the player experienced a complete turn-around within 24 hours of his club’s final game of the season when he returned to them to sign a new deal which saw him earning 200 euro less than he had been offered by us! That’s why we will not be making any announcements until the names are signed on the dotted line.”

http://www.derryjournal.com/journal-sport/Jennings-McGlynn-sign-new-Brandywell.3516706.jp?articlepage=2

gufct
23/11/2007, 10:35 AM
Didnt know derek got married and had a second child.

JC_GUFC
23/11/2007, 1:10 PM
“However, the player experienced a complete turn-around within 24 hours of his club’s final game of the season when he returned to them to sign a new deal which saw him earning 200 euro less than he had been offered by us! That’s why we will not be making any announcements until the names are signed on the dotted line.”

What's a euro?! ;) :p

Maybe Derek saw the mess Derry are in at the moment and thought better of it.
Delighted he's staying with us anyway!

Dodge
23/11/2007, 1:43 PM
Love the way Derry can't believe he chose to sign for a club, and the decision wasn't based on money.

gilberto_eire
23/11/2007, 2:48 PM
maybe it was the missus who didnt want to move?.... i cant see many from the south been too tempted by a move up north, we know the troubles have all but ended but it's still in the society up there and i for one wouldnt be too keen to move there!

MyTown
23/11/2007, 2:59 PM
Maybe, just maybe, he was influenced by his last unhappy soujourn in the North West?

gilberto_eire
23/11/2007, 3:14 PM
Maybe, just maybe, he was influenced by his last unhappy soujourn in the North West?

i dont know the fact he seems to have agreed everything could point to the fact of been non-football related?

JC_GUFC
23/11/2007, 7:14 PM
maybe it was the missus who didnt want to move?.... i cant see many from the south been too tempted by a move up north, we know the troubles have all but ended but it's still in the society up there and i for one wouldnt be too keen to move there!

I dare you to go on to Cityweb and suggest that! :D:D:D

galwayhoop
23/11/2007, 8:46 PM
i dont know the fact he seems to have agreed everything could point to the fact of been non-football related?

i just reckon he wanted to not have to bother with the whole uprooting kids and missus (wife?). he surely wanted GUFC to come close enough to what was offered by Derry and was then happy enough to stay. doubt it is anything to do with sinister sectarianism or anything like that, the lad is settled and happy in galway. in fairness i reckon he used derry to see what he was worth and used it as a tool to get a better deal at united, and fair play to him, nothing at all wrong with getting paid what you are worth.

galwaygirl
30/11/2007, 7:32 AM
Didnt know derek got married and had a second child.
He didnt get married and he only has one child.

No it wasnt his partner that didnt want to move. It's was all Derek's own choice to stay with United

Terry
01/12/2007, 6:10 PM
Well done to Derek, he really has excelled in the past year or more. Sligo supporters must be bemused by his improvement seeing as they think that all players go downhill after leaving them !!!

sligoman
01/12/2007, 6:42 PM
Well done to Derek, he really has excelled in the past year or more. Sligo supporters must be bemused by his improvement seeing as they think that all players go downhill after leaving them !!!Have you got a link to where anyone has said that please or are you just making that up?

Paddyfield
01/12/2007, 6:53 PM
Have you got a link to where anyone has said that please or are you just making that up?

He doesn't have a link; he's just making it up.

Do you think players improve when they leave Sligo Rovers?

Terry
01/12/2007, 6:57 PM
He doesn't have a link; he's just making it up.

Do you think players improve when they leave Sligo Rovers?

I have 2 links on the end of the straps of my watch if thats any good? ;):D

Just saying SM that if you look at posts where sligo supporters talk about Derek they still rate him as the player that played for sligo and not the player he has become, couldnt be arsed looking for those posts to be honest !

sligoman
01/12/2007, 7:08 PM
Do you think players improve when they leave Sligo Rovers?Some do, some don't. Depends entirely on the player.

Paddyfield
01/12/2007, 9:15 PM
Some do, some don't. Depends entirely on the player.

Have you got a link or are you just making that up? :D

Trainee
03/12/2007, 5:11 AM
Have you got a link to where anyone has said that please or are you just making that up?
i'm not one 4 trollin but, if u wanna go back over ye're posts last year, check them out.... im not sayin it's ur comments but an awful lot of ye slatted him, for reasons good, bad or indfferent, the sooner ye accept he's a good player, the better :)