PDA

View Full Version : PFAI Player of the Year

Pages : [1] 2

Dodge
12/11/2007, 1:55 PM
The PFAI, in association with Ford, today announced the nominees for the
2007 PFAI Player of the Year Awards at a press briefing in Portmarnock.

The nominations for the Players’ Player of the Year, First Division Player
of the Year, Young Player of the Year, and Referee of the Year, along with
the Premier Division and First Division teams of the Year as voted for by
the eircom League of Ireland players, were all announced.

The prestigious 2007 Ford sponsored PFAI Awards will take place this
Sunday, 18 November at the Burlington Hotel in Dublin.

The nominees are -

Premier Division

Keith Fahey (St Patrick’s Athletic)
Joe Gamble (Cork City)
David Mooney (Longford Town)
Brian Murphy (Bohemian FC)
Shane Robinson (Drogheda United)
Brian Shelley (Drogheda United)

First Division

Conor Gethins (Finn Harps)
Shane Guthrie (Cobh Ramblers)
Tony Shields (Finn Harps)

Young Player

Conor Powell (Bohemian FC)
Mark Quigley (St Patrick’s Athletic)
Conor Sammon (UCD)

Referee

Conor Fitzgerald
Alan Kelly
Paul Tuite

eircom League of Ireland Premier Division Team of the Year 2007

1. Brian Murphy (Bohemian FC)
2. Brian Shelley (Drogheda United)
3. Simon Webb (Drogheda United)
4. Joe Gamble (Cork City)
5. Ken Oman (Derry City)
6. Graham Gartland (Drogheda United)
7. Keith Fahey (St Patrick’s Athletic)
8. Adam Hughes (Sligo Rovers)
9. David Mooney (Longford Town)
10. Mark Quigley (St Patrick’s Athletic)
11. Derek O’Brien (Galway United)

eircom League of Ireland First Division Team of the Year 2007

1. James Gallagher (Finn Harps)
2. Alan Carey (Cobh Ramblers)
3. Shaun Holmes (Finn Harps)
4. Tony Shields (Finn Harps)
5. Pat Purcell (Limerick 37)
6. Shane Guthrie (Cobh Ramblers)
7. James Chambers (Shelbourne)
8. Conor Sinnott (Wexford Youths)
9. Conor Gethins (Finn Harps)
10. Graham Cummins (Cobh Ramblers)
11. Davin O’Neill (Cobh Ramblers)

---

Can't really argue with any of the nominations. Good to see more than the top 2 recognised in the team of the year too. Robinson and Quigley would be my premier winners

passinginterest
12/11/2007, 2:49 PM
Great to see Conor Sinnott getting recognised in the first division team of the year. He finished the season as top scorer with eight goals (six penos) and also has the most appearances for the club. He's performed consistently well in a very difficult season.

ramblersnb1
12/11/2007, 3:29 PM
davin o neill not up 4 player of the year ????

bigmac
12/11/2007, 3:35 PM
How come Robinson is nominated for player of the year but not included in team of the year? Bit strange.

Flexy
12/11/2007, 3:40 PM
I would have had Simon Webb, hes been immense this year for Drogs especially after all hes been through in the last year.

GavinZac
12/11/2007, 3:51 PM
how can they omit roy o'donovan? he played over half the season.

charliesboots
12/11/2007, 3:59 PM
How come Robinson is nominated for player of the year but not included in team of the year? Bit strange.

It used to be that the players would nominate a player of the season, young pots and first div pots. They'd then fill out a player for each position for team of the season.

I presume Robinson just didn't get as many votes in the team as the other midfielder but go more than them (except Fahey maybe) for pots

sligoman
12/11/2007, 4:06 PM
I'm surprised Coleman isn't up for Young POTY.

Sam_Heggy
12/11/2007, 4:31 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same myself. He should have been in team of the season too. Best wing/full back I seen in the Prem this season imo.

DmanDmythDledge
12/11/2007, 4:55 PM
Does someone make the final decision on the nominees or is it done by the players' ballot?

SligoBrewer
12/11/2007, 4:57 PM

faz is left out as well.

joe gamble though like.. personally no.

sligoman
12/11/2007, 5:00 PM
faz is left out as well.Thanks I'm not blind;) Don't think Faz deserves to be there, Coleman does.

hoopy
12/11/2007, 5:04 PM
Keith Fahey in the X1, that has to be a wind up :confused:, a nominee as a POTY is an even bigger wind up

Lim till i die
12/11/2007, 5:07 PM
eircom League of Ireland First Division Team of the Year 2007

1. James Gallagher (Finn Harps)
2. Alan Carey (Cobh Ramblers)
3. Shaun Holmes (Finn Harps)
4. Tony Shields (Finn Harps)
5. Pat Purcell (Limerick 37)
6. Shane Guthrie (Cobh Ramblers)
7. James Chambers (Shelbourne)
8. Conor Sinnott (Wexford Youths)
9. Conor Gethins (Finn Harps)
10. Graham Cummins (Cobh Ramblers)
11. Davin O’Neill (Cobh Ramblers)

Conor Sinnott is an odd one considering he was playing for such a lowly team but I suppose they did run everything through him.

James Chambers is evil, am amazed he has that much respect from his fellow players.

Genuinely thought Kevin Waters from ourselves would be in with a shout

Also, interestingly, not one Dundalk player

MojoPin
12/11/2007, 5:11 PM
no davin o neill for the player of the year whats that about? he is second top scorer our player of the year by far and the only first division player to be included in pat fenlons under 23 squad........ albeit until fenlon found out he was over age

Lim till i die
12/11/2007, 5:15 PM
no davin o neill for the player of the year whats that about? he is second top scorer our player of the year by far and the only first division player to be included in pat fenlons under 23 squad........ albeit until fenlon found out he was over age

The three mentioned are genuinely better players IMO

The inclusion of Guthrie is right as your defence was the real story this year in fairness

Davin is still a bit too fancy for his own good :p

How many goals did he get btw??

Now that I think of it, Robbie Farrell can feel pretty bloomin hard done by at not making the team of the year aswell :ball:

MojoPin
12/11/2007, 5:25 PM
he got 14 goals and he was out for 4 games in the last seven i think... including the 7 nil rout against kilkenny where he would of surely got 2 or more.... davin isnt too fancy to be honest hardly ever does flick and tricks when a burst of pace will suffice... i feel he should be player of the year hands down....

Lim till i die
12/11/2007, 5:27 PM
davin isnt too fancy to be honest hardly ever does flick and tricks when a burst of pace will suffice... i feel he should be player of the year hands down....

Nigel Keady must have learned him in that first game :eek: :)

In fairness Robbie Farrell got 12 goals for feckin Monaghan and missed a wedge of the season aswell AFAIK

monutdfc
12/11/2007, 5:35 PM
In fairness Robbie Farrell got 12 goals for feckin Monaghan and missed a wedge of the season aswell AFAIK
Robbie didn't miss that many games, but he played while injured; he was my vote for our POTY but Aaron Mooney and Kevin Williamson got the Club and Supporters Club awards respectively.
Surprised Shaun Williams didn't make the 1st division team.

MojoPin
12/11/2007, 5:40 PM
ya robbie farell was up there hes a bit like mooney for longford banging in the goals for a struggling side.. mons had a good season in fairness.

Lim till i die
12/11/2007, 5:41 PM
mons had a good season in fairness.

Genuinely not a bad side

Could do well next year :eek: :eek: :)

micls
12/11/2007, 5:45 PM
joe gamble though like.. personally no.

Joey is absolute quality. Best midfielder in the league in my (hopefully not too) biased opinion

Youths4Ever
12/11/2007, 6:57 PM
Conor Sinnott is an odd one considering he was playing for such a lowly team but I suppose they did run everything through him.

Why does playing for a lowly team mean a player should be considered for a team of the season? Conor had a good season no matter who he played for.

Bit shocked that no Dundalk player made the team though.

Lim till i die
12/11/2007, 7:02 PM
Why does playing for a lowly team mean a player should be considered for a team of the season?

I only said it was odd

Which it is.........

Youths4Ever
12/11/2007, 7:31 PM
Lim I know it a bit odd but will take it and I am sure Conor will as well.

Lim till i die
12/11/2007, 7:33 PM
I am sure Conor will as well.

He really should given the utter disappointment his "career" has been so far :)

Magicme
12/11/2007, 7:41 PM
Gutted that Robbie didnt make it in too. Genuinely one of the nicest people in football who played his guts out for us week in week out even when he was carrying injuries.

Battery Rover
12/11/2007, 7:48 PM
Gutted that Robbie didnt make it in too. Genuinely one of the nicest people in football who played his guts out for us week in week out even when he was carrying injuries.

Is it true that Mr Williamson got Player of the Year:eek:

Magicme
12/11/2007, 8:20 PM
Yup and deservedly so. He got the Supporters Club Player of the Year. Aaron Mooney got club player of the year and Paul Whelan got Young Player of the Year for the 2nd season in a row.

Battery Rover
12/11/2007, 8:21 PM
Yup and deservedly so. He got the Supporters Club Player of the Year.

Had an answer planned but decided best not to post it;):p

Magicme
12/11/2007, 8:27 PM
PM it to me so can slap your wrists for you!

Just coz he didnt do it for you doesnt mean he is bad. He seems to be one of these players that Mick Cooke can manage to get the best out of.

all drogged up
12/11/2007, 8:49 PM
see what you're saying about how it could happen that shane robinson could be nominated for the player but not a member of the team of the year but in all fairness, he should be in the team too. Himself and Shellyer are one and two this season across the entire league.

Dodge
12/11/2007, 9:01 PM
Every player votes for their PLayer of the Year (and Young player of the year from a list given to them from the PFAI) and they also get to nominate players for their own position (only) on the team of the year. It could happen that Robinson got a lot of votes from Strikers or Defenders.

BTW Coleman isn't nearly as good as the three young players already nominated. How many times did Powell keep him out of representative squads?

Risteard
12/11/2007, 10:19 PM
how can they omit roy o'donovan? he played over half the season.

Wouldn't have too many friends in opposition teams I'd imagine.

Hibs4Ever
13/11/2007, 7:51 AM
Keith Fahey in the X1, that has to be a wind up :confused:, a nominee as a POTY is an even bigger wind up

How often have you seem him play this season?

Ash
13/11/2007, 7:55 AM
Is it true that Mr Williamson got Player of the Year:eek:

Someone will be happy, and I bet she cant wait to walk around Lissywollen
to rub our noses in it on the off chance that anybody really cares about her
little soldier :p

razor
13/11/2007, 8:00 AM
joe gamble though like.. personally no.Best midfielder in the EL bar none, had an outstanding season for us.

gustavo
13/11/2007, 8:10 AM
BTW Coleman isn't nearly as good as the three young players already nominated. How many times did Powell keep him out of representative squads?

Don't see how thats relevant seeing as they don't play in the same position.

ramblersnb1
13/11/2007, 8:25 AM
im delighted for graham cummins getting in hes only 19 like and had a great season

Jerry The Saint
13/11/2007, 9:25 AM
they also get to nominate players for their own position (only) on the team of the year.

How many votes does Anto Murphy get:confused: :)

Battery Rover
13/11/2007, 10:17 AM
Someone will be happy, and I bet she cant wait to walk around Lissywollen
to rub our noses in it on the off chance that anybody really cares about her
little soldier :p

Careful now Ash or the "SCHOOLIMUMS" will be looking for you:D

Hibs4Ever
13/11/2007, 4:09 PM
Best midfielder in the EL bar none, had an outstanding season for us.

In your opinion ;)

hoopy
13/11/2007, 4:27 PM
How often have you seem him play this season?

I'd say 10/11 times. To put him in ahead of Robinson's an insult imop.

pete
13/11/2007, 4:36 PM

Different positions. Gamble is most consistent midfielder in the league over the last 3 seasons let alone this season. You can say its a token gesture to give Gamble 2 International caps but Robinson doesn't have any...

micls
13/11/2007, 4:44 PM

How is he ahead of Robinson? They play different positions.

Which 2 central midfielders would you rate ahead of him?

Celdrog
13/11/2007, 4:47 PM
Different positions. Gamble is most consistent midfielder in the league over the last 3 seasons let alone this season. You can say its a token gesture to give Gamble 2 International caps but Robinson doesn't have any...
No but he does have four times as many medals as Gamble. Will be at least double by the end of the season.

Anyway Brian Shelley won it.

micls
13/11/2007, 4:49 PM
No but he does have four times as many medals as Gamble. Will be at least double by the end of the season.

Anyway Brian Shelley won it.

Greg O Halloran has more medals than Joe too......and they even play in the same position.

Does that make Greg a better player :eek:

I thought we were discussing the place in the team of the year rather than the winner of player of the year

Cici900
13/11/2007, 4:51 PM
im delighted for graham cummins getting in hes only 19 like and had a great season

How isnt he up for YPOTY? He has had a superb season

micls
13/11/2007, 4:52 PM
How isnt he up for YPOTY? He has had a superb season

Didnt he spend a lot of it coming off the bench? Or am I thinking of the wrong person?

DmanDmythDledge
13/11/2007, 4:54 PM
How is he ahead of Robinson? They play different positions.
Fahey has been right mid for most of the season and was picked RM in the team of the year.