PDA

View Full Version : "Sammon of College"

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2007, 11:50 PM
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1892/cupinterview002la6.jpg

GavinZac
11/11/2007, 12:17 AM
Why do players insist on bleating on about moving to england to "be a more complete player". If they just plainly stated that they'd like the money and fame that'd be understandable.

DmanDmythDledge
11/11/2007, 12:21 AM
Why do players insist on bleating on about moving to england to "be a more complete player". If they just plainly stated that they'd like the money and fame that'd be understandable.
Because the Championship is a higher standard than the eircom League. If you play with and against better players you will improve your game. Also working with better coaches has a big impact.

CollegeTillIDie
11/11/2007, 7:51 AM
It amazes me that so many players lately, George O'Callaghan and Roy O'Donovan from Cork in the past two season and at our club Gary Dicker and Conor Sammon keep making making noises about going to England. It's not as simple an issue as buying a plane or ferry ticket.
As Darren Quigley's close season 2006 and early 2007 illustrates even if people seem interested enough to give you a trial it is no guarantee of success either in getting into a club over there or making the grade . Which reminds me how's Gary Dicker doing is he even getting his game in the reserves?
P.S. Paul Byrne finished the season top goalscorer in the League folks, despite missing one third of the season through injury.
P.P.S. We reached the last four of the F.A.I. Cup we were 180 minutes potentially from Europe at the start of the semi-final.
The Championship is at the very least eighteen months away from Europe. Apart from financially, just how much better off are you in the Championship?

pineapple stu
11/11/2007, 8:36 AM
So you'd turn down a promotion in work if it came your way?

We were indeed potentially 180 minutes away from Europe, but when it comes down to it, what's the difference between 180 minutes waway and 18 months away when you don't qualify?

And why should two games against low-ish opposition, with maybe two more to follow, have any bearing on a player wanting to try his luck as a full time pro?

CollegeTillIDie
11/11/2007, 8:50 AM
So you'd turn down a promotion in work if it came your way?

We were indeed potentially 180 minutes away from Europe, but when it comes down to it, what's the difference between 180 minutes waway and 18 months away when you don't qualify?

And why should two games against low-ish opposition, with maybe two more to follow, have any bearing on a player wanting to try his luck as a full time pro?
And given what effects the last promotion had on my health, yes I would turn it down because of stress levels but most people outside my set of circumstances wouldn't I'll grant you.
Better off a full-time pro at home in Ireland with a club which qualifies for Europe regularly, than to be lost in the Championship, League 1, League 2 or Blue Square Premier Leagues ? Don't you think?

CollegeTillIDie
11/11/2007, 8:58 AM

Well potentially we could come that close again next year which is outside the potentiality of most lower non Premier League clubs cross channel. Granted it might also take another 23 years but that's the Cup. Most non Premier League clubs cross channel wouldn't reach the FA Cup Semi-finals in 123 years.

pineapple stu
11/11/2007, 10:02 AM
Better off a full-time pro at home in Ireland with a club which qualifies for Europe regularly, than to be lost in the Championship, League 1, League 2 or Blue Square Premier Leagues ? Don't you think?
Not necessarily. You're overating the importance to a player of a game against Sammarinese opposition. Also, he's not a full time pro. Also, there's a lot more money to be made in England. Lots of reasons to go abroad. No problems with any player wanting to go there. Logical next step up.

Poor Student
11/11/2007, 11:39 AM
I appreciate the honesty of his comments. There's nothing shocking about them. If any of our players do make it on to the Championship then it's a positive for all parties involved. Obviously the player will have given us good performances and resulted in us receiving a decent fee and they'll have to moved on to a higher standard with better pay. It would also be a good publicity for the club, it would show youngsters that long term career objective can be achieved by joining us.

Have to agree with Pineapple about reaching Europe. While it would be a massive achievement for this club and nothing would make me happier, it does not compare to playing week in week out in the Championship given you're talking about a few qualifying games with not so glamorous opposition.

CollegeTillIDie
11/11/2007, 2:44 PM
I appreciate the honesty of his comments. There's nothing shocking about them. If any of our players do make it on to the Championship then it's a positive for all parties involved. Obviously the player will have given us good performances and resulted in us receiving a decent fee and they'll have to moved on to a higher standard with better pay. It would also be a good publicity for the club, it would show youngsters that long term career objective can be achieved by joining us.

Have to agree with Pineapple about reaching Europe. While it would be a massive achievement for this club and nothing would make me happier, it does not compare to playing week in week out in the Championship given you're talking about a few qualifying games with not so glamorous opposition.

Too many players in this League, especially those under 30, have an inflated opinion of their abilities , a way exceeding their actual talent and effectiveness. And I include O'Callaghan in that number. He thought he was God almighty when in fact he wasn't even in the angel choruses :D