PDA

View Full Version : A Pub!

corbyeire
10/11/2007, 10:19 PM
just looking at the flyer i received at the home game last night

our newly named corribside stand has a "club lounge" at the back of it

could this dispense drinks :D

think those ticket prices are fairly hefty, are all clubs going to €20 a game so?

Tir Oilean
10/11/2007, 10:44 PM
Id say they might look to get a sports and social licence. But I dont know if it'll be big enough to be open to everyone at the game maybe some sort of pass situation or for sponsors exec like the upatirs of the old clubhouse.

Patrick Dunne
11/11/2007, 12:31 PM
It'll be for clubhousers, a totally different group from sponsors.

gufct
11/11/2007, 1:57 PM
Entrance will be restricted to sponsors,away team officials, Gold & Corporate season ticket holders so it wont be a pub.

manofthemoment
11/11/2007, 8:45 PM
think those ticket prices are fairly hefty, are all clubs going to €20 a game so?

€25 for the new stand as well. I'd say they'll have to rethink the prices if they want to hold onto the great support they got all year

corbyeire
11/11/2007, 9:11 PM
i agree with you manofthemoment - pats charge €20 but you get the program with it

gordongekko
12/11/2007, 12:40 AM
€20 a game so?

bloody hell thats a hugh price If we lose the good will of the public next year at least we will know why

Square Heir
12/11/2007, 1:00 AM
I disagree guys. To put it in perspective most people would spend more than €20 on a round of drinks without batting an eyelid!

galwayhoop
12/11/2007, 8:19 AM
a vast improvement is needed on the pitch to maintain the crowds this season. the 'novelty' factor was there this season (first year back up in half a decade and new stand). with the increase in price it will require a more competitive performance and hopefully a good cup run.

Tir Oilean
12/11/2007, 10:17 AM
In fairness Hoop I think the novelty factor is something that wears off very quickly and our crowds were high all the way through (god knows it wasnt the results that kept them high. We all know it was Daniel Walsh.) However, I think the prices are high, while I will still go and buy my season ticket there are many who simply won't due to the performances of the season. AS you say People will come out if we are winning/on a cup run though.

corbyeire
12/11/2007, 12:31 PM
the other craic is you have to pay another €5 to get into the corribside stand - the €20 is ground access, so thats €25 in total - there must be big hopes that the season ticketers will fill the corribside

dont get me wrong the view is great there - but a €10 increase is steep

gufct
12/11/2007, 1:05 PM
The club are hoping to sell 500 Corporate tickets plus there were over 30 Gold tickets which are for 2 people last year and sponsors will be in the new stand so that will leave about 700 for ordinary season ticket holders.

If we want a succesful team we will have to pay for it and last years price €175 was the cheapest in the premier so if we want to get in quality players the budget had to be increased.

geezer
12/11/2007, 1:09 PM
the way i see it people now have to put up or shut up. If we want to compete we have to charge. The facilities now are pretty clean and decent. However we will need a degree of flexibility in pricing and concession or promotion schemes for some of the less attractive games yet ensures we dont exclude familys etc. Mind you Utd should also look at shunting children into a particular section and not have them running wild all over the ground. Babysitting should be extra if thats what customers want. Rovers, Bohs,drogs,cork & Sligo shoud be level 1 premium games with maximum pricing. UCD,Bray, waterford etc should be full on with promotion and concessions and family nights. Season ticket holders should be treated loke royalty at all games

sligoman
12/11/2007, 1:11 PM
most people would spend more than €20 on a round of drinks without batting an eyelid!The sad state in this country is that people, unless genuine Galway fans, will go and spend that €20 on drink rather than a football game though. They'll see it as more beneficial:o.

gloryglorygufc
12/11/2007, 2:00 PM
Where is the incentive to buy before xmas? To me access to the new stand is irrelevant as i don't go there. Why noy the reduced price like last year?
And why no renewal offers to existing season ticket holders?

I definitely agree with geezer that season ticket holders need to be treated well - like an entrance at the main gate rather than having to walk down the bottom of the road, then the whole way around the ground to get back to that gate.

E20 for ground access + E5 for the new stand + E2.50 for a programme + E5 for a few nibbles adds up to quite a bit for a couple of hours in Terryland. Spending E20 on a round of drinks suddenly looks a lot more attractive.

gufct
12/11/2007, 2:19 PM
The serious question that is there to be answered now is do the people of Galway City & County want a succesful el team and are they prepared to make a contribution towards that goal.

If there is a serious drop off in support I can see the People who are trying to improve the club year on year just giving up.

Tir Oilean
12/11/2007, 2:35 PM
Its costs €20 to get into Pearse Stadium for 70mins.

We were €45 cheaper than Wahhurford this season for a season ticket.

galwayhoop
12/11/2007, 2:44 PM
The serious question that is there to be answered now is do the people of Galway City & County want a succesful el team and are they prepared to make a contribution towards that goal.

If there is a serious drop off in support I can see the People who are trying to improve the club year on year just giving up.

you really are hyper-sensitive gufct!!!

personally i think there should be a 2 tier season ticket (maybe there is??) one for the new stand, one for the rest of the ground. maybe for €275 (stand) and €225 (ground).

supporters who pay to come in for matches individually should have the option of stand/ground.

if kids (u12s) are permitted in free they should only be allowed in with a patying adult - THIS NEEDS TO BE ENFORCED. their free entry should not include the stand, they should have to pay maybe €10 for this.

u16 should get in for reduced price but maybe full price for the stand.

galwayhoop
12/11/2007, 2:48 PM
In fairness Hoop I think the novelty factor is something that wears off very quickly and our crowds were high all the way through
maybe, but when i was saying novelty factor i meant novelty for the whole season. even for the must win games against longford and derry there was about 2,200. that seemed to be the standard. but with a price hike (which i totally understand and don't moan about) and the fact it is our second season up it might prove a bit harder to keep the crowds at that level without top half of table and/or decent cup run (ie semi final or so).

Conor H
12/11/2007, 2:58 PM
To be honest i think the season ticket pprices are fair enough and well justified.

E20 is steep enough but we'd probably get away with it.
E25 is fairly hefty but i would hope people understand that we need more revenue from gate receipts if we want to challenge the Top 4.

Generally with premium pricing it signifies an increase in the quality of the product on offer,this is where i think the possible downfall of the high prices may be.

This also reverts back to Cousins.If UTD are woeful for the first few matches people will quite simply give up going.People are also more reluctant to pay prices like that for games against Bray,UCD etc.

We may also be eleminating our biggest niche market.How many people in Galway decide at 6 30 if they're going to Terryland?When they realise it will cost them E64(cost of a family going to Terryland) +food+programme you're talking the guts of nearly E75.That's an expensive night out for just watching your local team.same applies for lads in a pub.......oppurtunity cost of going to Terryland is 5 pints-is it worth it?
Hopefully it all pays off but a big improvement is needed on the pitch next season and this has to be made clear to the public that UTD are serious about doing very well.
We cannot have Cousins coming out and saying "It's a very gradual process and hopefully we can do well".

gufct
12/11/2007, 3:04 PM
There is a family ticket for €40 for those who want to pay on the night its actually down on the new brochure.

Claret Murph
12/11/2007, 3:26 PM
I have been asked by one of my co workers to tell it as it is as he puts it .
In my department where I work we have four season ticket holders and 3 of them are not going to renew their season tickets next year " FACT " . Now two said they will only pick games to go to and the other one said he has stopped and not going next season because of the price increase .
Now from my point of view as you can guess I am the one who will be getting a season ticket , now i know it's a bit of a hike in the price but I believe in what the club are trying to do . but what does scare me is that out of these 3 guys four friends of one and 3 of another said the same , so out of 11 people I am the only one to say that I will part with the cash up front .
I know the players and management read this and I was shocked with what people said to me this morning I hope the management take this onboard and look at it . As you know a lot of people on here and G.net are hardcore fans and will always help the club but as we know we have quite a few who are very fickle .
I decided to mail a couple of friends in the UK who fallow Aresnal and Burnley to say what they had to say about it and these are their replies .

"Wow, what a finish to the season, home wins galore to round things off and finishing in the heady heights of 8th! Mind you, that's prob why they announced the 66% ticket price increase while everyone was presumably happy and chuffed to stay in the premiership!? Having said that €250 sounds like a bargain compared to my Arsenal ones, ouch, daren't think what they cost in Euros, well not a hard sum its about €1,700 per ticket!?*)!"

"F**k me Murph 250 and you are complaining you want to see this c**p what i pay £435 for a season ticket to watch every two weeks ( somewhere around 600 Euro ) then you would you would have something to complain about . See you for the Stoke game I will be in the bridge from around 1 o'clock "

So lads when you put it that way things are not that bad after all .......

gilberto_eire
12/11/2007, 3:58 PM
maybe, but when i was saying novelty factor i meant novelty for the whole season. even for the must win games against longford and derry there was about 2,200. that seemed to be the standard. but with a price hike (which i totally understand and don't moan about) and the fact it is our second season up it might prove a bit harder to keep the crowds at that level without top half of table and/or decent cup run (ie semi final or so).

lads the only ones who wont be coming back are the large groups of lil under 12's who were getting in for free and also the 12-15 yr olds who were abusing that system!. connacht charge over €20 a game(albeit with entrance to the greyhounds after not that, that would sway my choice to go anyway).
we have had over 2,000+ genuine fans this year only fairweathers and the likes would consider not going to a match for €5 extra.

corbyeire
12/11/2007, 6:02 PM
i know so many people who showed vague interest in going down to terryland for something different to do - it was 50/50 on those that would actually come down for a look on hearing it was €15

id say the chances of fairweathers/eventers/haphazard attendees turning up now will be much lower

i expected a drop off in season ticket holders anyway with the novelty of premier league football and new stand wearing off - i can imagine it being a lot more now

just my opinion

gilberto_eire
12/11/2007, 6:10 PM
i know so many people who showed vague interest in going down to terryland for something different to do - it was 50/50 on those that would actually come down for a look on hearing it was €15

id say the chances of fairweathers/eventers/haphazard attendees turning up now will be much lower

i expected a drop off in season ticket holders anyway with the novelty of premier league football and new stand wearing off - i can imagine it being a lot more now

just my opinion

id be confident that the money wont be a problem..... it will be a factor in the sense that if results start going poor ppl will say ''im not paying €20 to see that crap etc...''
id say come march with all the new signing etc... we will have an attendence like the Sligo game.... then its up to TC and the lads to maintain it!!.

i dont think it will be initially a problem but i can see it been a problem if things go as they did this year!. its another gamble by the board like going full-time you could argue!.

manofthemoment
12/11/2007, 6:28 PM
A friend of mine attended a game in Nantes in French league 2 recently. Cost him €8 on the gate. Could have bought the tickets in the club shop in advance for €5. 28,000 at the game. I'm not suggesting that our tickets should be €5 but surely it's better to have a full house at a lesser price than a half empty morgue charging bigger prices. I think Geezer may have something in suggesting charging the premium prices for the 'attractive' fixtures but promotional prices for less attractive games. I would also agree that there should be a 'kids' section because it can be very hard sometimes to concentrate on the game with some of the antics

corbyeire
12/11/2007, 6:48 PM
yes those small people have a tendancy to stand on stairways and seats and block your view!

geezer
12/11/2007, 7:57 PM
important thing is to fill the stadium, The example at nantes is a good one like ryanair with airplanes fill the place up offer the lowest price depending on demand and how early you purchase the tickets. e.g. buy a match ticket a week in advance family say €20 then as seats get booked out prices go up. It gives everyone a chance and doesnt rule anyone out particularly local people. PR has to be good now for united with all the good work done by the cpo and a clever pricing strategy will benefit both the club with early cash up front and also supporters. Lets not leave utd open to bad press from the plenty out there that will be only too willing to slice the club down when a chance presents itself. Constant promotions earlier for games will have a dual effect of promoting the brand and increasing attendances.

Tir Oilean
12/11/2007, 8:03 PM
id be confident that the money wont be a problem..... !.

Good to see you in a positive state of mind Gilberto ;-) However I think you are wrong to think that the only ones not coming back will be the whipper snappers. Clarets mini market research is disturbing.

Ceirtlis
12/11/2007, 9:52 PM
A friend of mine attended a game in Nantes in French league 2 recently. Cost him €8 on the gate. Could have bought the tickets in the club shop in advance for €5. 28,000 at the game. I'm not suggesting that our tickets should be €5 but surely it's better to have a full house at a lesser price than a half empty morgue charging bigger prices. I think Geezer may have something in suggesting charging the premium prices for the 'attractive' fixtures but promotional prices for less attractive games. I would also agree that there should be a 'kids' section because it can be very hard sometimes to concentrate on the game with some of the antics

Even if we did charge €5 i dont think we would be filling the stadium. Price is not the main factor in people deciding to go to matches in my opinion, how we are doing in the league and how entertaining the football is are what brings the crowds. I do think that some of the games could be classed as category b with lower prices ticket though if nothing else just to ward off potential bad publicity for the price increases.

JC_GUFC
13/11/2007, 8:13 AM
The price hike will be used as an excuse for fairweathers not to go to matches but the same lads would come up with some other excuse anyway.

But back on topic are there any plans for a bar in Terryland? I know there's the licensing issue and the Galway FA would have to support it but it really is a wasted opportunity if there isn't a bar in the ground.

galwayhoop
13/11/2007, 9:42 AM
even if the games were free we wouldn't fill terryland regularly. the balance is finding a price which won't put off people but also maximise returns.

btw the club are 100% correct to charge extra for the stand. if you want comfort then you should have to pay for it.

i believe the crowds will be more effected by performances/league position than the price. if you are going to go it won't be €5 extra which puts you off.

GUISAUltra
13/11/2007, 5:41 PM
will season tickets holders actually be treated decently this season. the fact that they will be paying 250 makes it vital that they are. none of this bull**** of having to do a full lap of the ground to get to the old stand, thats ridiculous. a huge amount of season tickets holders had to do this all last season and it was a joke, we were treated worse than away fans.

that aside i do think its a hefty increase but it is definitely needed if the club are to progress and i will be purchasing a season ticket. i just hope that next season that we're looked after.

OPEN THE TOP GATE NEAR SECTION A

Patrick Dunne
13/11/2007, 5:55 PM
Licensing stipulates that you have to have a separate players and officials
entrance, so that gate is no longer open to the public.

Supporters should have easier access to the old stand. A cunning plan would be
to stick away fans in the new stand and charge them E25 !

gilberto_eire
13/11/2007, 6:27 PM
will season tickets holders actually be treated decently this season. the fact that they will be paying 250 makes it vital that they are. none of this bull**** of having to do a full lap of the ground to get to the old stand, thats ridiculous. a huge amount of season tickets holders had to do this all last season and it was a joke, we were treated worse than away fans.

that aside i do think its a hefty increase but it is definitely needed if the club are to progress and i will be purchasing a season ticket. i just hope that next season that we're looked after.

OPEN THE TOP GATE NEAR SECTION A

i dont see any problems with the season tickets this year....BUT if we get a friendly like sunderland again which isnt going to be covered by them i can see a big uproar starting considering the big hike!!.

GuisaSaigon
13/11/2007, 7:22 PM
Iwould expect similar discounts for friendlies to this season for season ticket holders. It only makes sense to take care of you most loyal fans.

micls
13/11/2007, 7:23 PM
From an outsiders point of view those prices seem very steep.

We charge 15euro for anywhere in the ground.

Its one thing for regulars but to attract casual fans 'the club needs the money' line wont work.

It'l be interesting to see if ye're attendance(very good this year) is affected

eamo1
13/11/2007, 7:28 PM
what about opening the gate at the dyke road that the ambulance uses?season ticket holders could go in that entrance or change that to the players entrance and let season tic holders in the other gate?i will be renewing my season ticket but will also be ticked off if i have to do a lap again to get to my usual standing position.
great to see the club are doing something about those annoying kids.they said its for "health and safety" reasons,ya right;).charging them a fiver is good but kids today have way too much money so while it will cut it down it wont stop all of them sadly.

Patrick Dunne
13/11/2007, 7:36 PM
Perhaps that gate could be open for season ticket holders up to 7.15/7.20.

It can't be open any later than this, queues will back up onto the main road.
I'm not trying to be awkard, but if anyone was hit by a car, GUFC would be up **** creek. The FAI are very strict on safe entrances, etc, under the licencing system.

TBH I would say that 80-90% of season ticket holders will take their seats in the new stand.

GUST will bring the concerns of season ticket holders to the club management committee. No matter what anyone says, they are our most important group of supporters.

gufct
13/11/2007, 8:05 PM
Because of Planning restrictions from the very start of the development at Terryland we are not allowed have turnstiles or use the Exit gate on the Dyke Road as an entrance as its too dangerous.

galwaygooner
13/11/2007, 8:30 PM
Perhaps that gate could be open for season ticket holders up to 7.15/7.20.

It can't be open any later than this, queues will back up onto the main road.
I'm not trying to be awkard, but if anyone was hit by a car, GUFC would be up **** creek. The FAI are very strict on safe entrances, etc, under the licencing system.

TBH I would say that 80-90% of season ticket holders will take their seats in the new stand.

GUST will bring the concerns of season ticket holders to the club management committee. No matter what anyone says, they are our most important group of supporters.
I am a season ticket holder and will be for next season,this year i brought my 10 year old son with me to all the home games and sat him down beside me every time and kept him in my control..I was hoping to do the same next season but does any body know if on top of season ticket hike will i now have to pay for him as well ?

Trainee
13/11/2007, 9:11 PM
I am a season ticket holder and will be for next season,this year i brought my 10 year old son with me to all the home games and sat him down beside me every time and kept him in my control..I was hoping to do the same next season but does any body know if on top of season ticket hike will i now have to pay for him as well ?

kids season tickets will cost 40 euro
match day tickets for kids will be 5 euro

galwaygooner
13/11/2007, 9:17 PM
kids season tickets will cost 40 euro
match day tickets for kids will be 5 euro

Thats gone from 175 EURO to 290 euro... very steep :(

Patrick Dunne
13/11/2007, 9:26 PM
A family ticket to the new stand (two adults and two kids) is also available at E40.

The E5 charge is going to affect United supporters with kids like yourself, galwaygooner. Unfortunately, irresponsible parents who let their children run free around the place are ruining the matchday experience for other supporters.

Like you, galwaygooner, if I had a young kid at the game, they wouldn't leave my sight for the night.