PDA

View Full Version : Galway United - unprofessional or just immature?

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 3:12 PM
Seeing as youz came up because of your supposed superior professionalism and no other reason, I must say I was very surprised at the antics of the club last night. Granted, you seem to have learned from previous errors and worked out how an officials list works, but then came -

> Your club mascot joining in our half time warm up. WTF was that about?! Granted, it's not as important as the pre-match warm up, but general cop on tells you that club mascots should be nowhere near either of the teams at half time. (Should add that it's a sign of the lax attitude which has dogged our team the past seven weeks that our players didn't tell him where to go)
> The PA calling out the Rovers-Waterford half time wrong. An honest mistake possibly (although there was never a hint of a goal in that first half, so I don't know where it came from; the cynic in me notes that it may be more than just pure coincidence that the only half time I've heard called out wrong all season is one which would have put us into the play-offs - a bit of psychological warfare perhaps?), but given its relevance to our season, a hugely unprofessional one and one which could well have affected our outlook on the second half.
> The Galway players holding onto the ball when we won free kicks and throws throughout the second half. Never have I seen a team time wasting while winning a (for them) dead game.

I'm sure this post will be met with blind loyalty for the infallibility of one's own team, but if Galway are the model of how a professional club should work, it doesn't say much for the rest of the league...

gufct
10/11/2007, 3:59 PM
Seeing as youz came up because of your supposed superior professionalism and no other reason, I must say I was very surprised at the antics of the club last night. Granted, you seem to have learned from previous errors and worked out how an officials list works, but then came -

> Your club mascot joining in our half time warm up. WTF was that about?! Granted, it's not as important as the pre-match warm up, but general cop on tells you that club mascots should be nowhere near either of the teams at half time. (Should add that it's a sign of the lax attitude which has dogged our team the past seven weeks that our players didn't tell him where to go)
> The PA calling out the Rovers-Waterford half time wrong. An honest mistake possibly (although there was never a hint of a goal in that first half, so I don't know where it came from; the cynic in me notes that it may be more than just pure coincidence that the only half time I've heard called out wrong all season is one which would have put us into the play-offs - a bit of psychological warfare perhaps?), but given its relevance to our season, a hugely unprofessional one and one which could well have affected our outlook on the second half.
> The Galway players holding onto the ball when we won free kicks and throws throughout the second half. Never have I seen a team time wasting while winning a (for them) dead game.

I'm sure this post will be met with blind loyalty for the infallibility of one's own team, but if Galway are the model of how a professional club should work, it doesn't say much for the rest of the league...

WTF so its our Mascots fault you lost id hate to see the tantrum if Waterford actually won :eek: (the mistake with the ht score was done to xls score website that gave waterford a one nil lead but withdrew it straight after).

UCD had 2 supporters at their most important game of the season just about sums up UCD.

Conor H
10/11/2007, 4:04 PM
:D:D
The obsession continues.

Get a life Stu.

KoemansCC
10/11/2007, 4:21 PM
UCD had 2 supporters at their most important game of the season just about sums up UCD.

Hardly their most important game of the season, they had cup semis to be dealing with :rolleyes:...according to some UCD fans they were safe weeks ago....

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 4:25 PM
I'm sure this post will be met with blind loyalty for the infallibility of one's own team
Figured as much...

Nothing to do with why we lost (never said otherwise); just, as the title says, very unprofessional from Galway.

gufct
10/11/2007, 4:41 PM
Get a life Stu you are a very sad person;)

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 4:45 PM
Now, on any other forum, that'd be trolling...

Seriously, debate the points if you want.

Latcheko
10/11/2007, 4:57 PM
I recall a few seasons back we played U.C.D. in Terryland and in the second half almost every time United were in an attacking position a U.C.D. player would go down, United would put the ball out to allow treatment and wow! A miraculous recovery! Also, last night when Lester was injured our keeper cleared and from the resulting throw U.C.D. went on the attack. Is that professionalism?

Paddyfield
10/11/2007, 7:28 PM
... but if Galway are the model of how a professional club should work, it doesn't say much for the rest of the league...

Who says that Galway United is the role model of how a professional club should work? Thanks for associating us with such a notion anyway.

Maybe we should take a few pages out of the UCD book on how to run a club?

PS Do ye have a mascot?

feo123
10/11/2007, 8:40 PM
in fairness, the UCD fans always have something to complain about, lads ye lost, ye're still safe, it dosn't matter

corbyeire
10/11/2007, 8:51 PM
i agree with the time wasting its been employed in the last 5 games at least - but as latcheko said - bad form not giving the ball back after lester was down...

Dodge
10/11/2007, 8:54 PM
Figured as much...

Nothing to do with why we lost (never said otherwise); just, as the title says, very unprofessional from Galway.
Would you care if you won? Seems like sour grapes.

1) If the players weren't upset then it didn't matter
2) Looks like an honest mistake.
3) Standard football practice.

geezer
10/11/2007, 9:22 PM
blame the mascot, the fai, whatever. For anyone looking at what makes the league better you could do a lot worse than visit Terryland, Courteous stewards at the turnstiles, great crowd, decent half time entertainment, a good game, clean facilities and the best cpo in the country. Utd have quadrupled its crowd this season despite the rough football they must be doing something right

GavinZac
10/11/2007, 9:26 PM
Now, on any other forum, that'd be trolling...

Seriously, debate the points if you want.

There are no points. The mascot and an incorrect score? ffs, be glad your joke of a club has one more season in this division before you're sent back where you belong.

Paddyfield
10/11/2007, 9:41 PM
There are no points. The mascot and an incorrect score? ffs, be glad your joke of a club has one more season in this division before you're sent back where you belong.

I don't think UCD can be sent to the Leinster Senior League.

Then again, we were sent to the Premier without kicking a ball:D:D:D

Tir Oilean
10/11/2007, 10:40 PM
Nothing to discuss P Stu. A wrong scoreline can happen quite easily. Our mascots frequently kick around with the subs at half time. These kids are the future support of our club and their day out is one they'll never forget. As regards holding on to the ball, I'm nearly glad to see us do it as we were the victims of such tactics particularly against Dublin clubs over the years. Go ring Joe Duffy if you want to Pi** ad moan.

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 11:02 PM
A reasonable answer! Fair dues.

I don't know where you jump from the mascot kicking about with our subs to the kids being the way for the future though?

Also never seen a team have to have the ball wrestled from them every time they concede a free even with half an hour to go in a meaningless game. If you're winning and need to win and there's ten minutes to go, then no problems obviously. Just seemed puerile in the circumstances.

Conor H
10/11/2007, 11:11 PM
1 Drogheda United 33 19 11 3 48 / 24 68
2 St Patrick's Athletic 33 18 7 8 54 / 29 61
3 Bohemians 33 16 10 7 35 / 17 58
4 Cork City 33 15 10 8 44 / 32 55
5 Shamrock Rovers 33 14 9 10 36 / 26 51
6 Sligo Rovers 33 12 5 16 34 / 45 41
7 Derry City 33 8 13 12 29 / 30 37
8 Galway United 33 7 14 12 28 / 35 35
9 Bray Wanderers 33 8 10 15 30 / 48 34
10 UCD 33 7 10 16 31 / 44 31
11 Waterford United 33 7 9 17 23 / 47 30
12 Longford Town* 33 9 8 16 33 / 48 29

*six points deducted

Stu is also questioning our official attendance in the EL Section.:rolleyes:
A UCD fan harping on about big crowds......the irony is incredible.
As expected Jebus has hopped in....fans of small Clubs forming a united front.:o

Tir Oilean
10/11/2007, 11:16 PM
A reasonable answer! Fair dues.

I don't know where you jump from the mascot kicking about with our subs to the kids being the way for the future though?

What I mean there is that the kids should be looked after as they are going to be the lifeblood of the club in the future so its good to give them a good day out including kicking ball with the subs. I can see how a UCD wouldn't understand this given their support base/profile.

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 11:16 PM
Glad to see it's made your season finishing ahead of us. Not really the biggest of ambitions, but whatever makes you happy!

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 11:18 PM
What I mean there is that the kids should be looked after as they are going to be the lifeblood of the club in the future so its good to give them a good day out including kicking ball with the subs. I can see how a UCD wouldn't understand this given their support base/profile.
Your subs if you want. Mascots should stay away from the opposition team; just common sense. I don't want a big fluffy lion interfering with me when I'm working, even if it keeps the kids happy.

Tir Oilean
10/11/2007, 11:20 PM
I misunderstood your meaning of mascot. I thought you meant the kids rather than Terry the Tiger. My apologies.

Conor H
10/11/2007, 11:23 PM
UCD bring absoloutely nothing to the league whatsoever.

The song "Sh!te team no fans" springs to mind.

What a pity Waterford didn't win last night......no way would UCD beat Harps or Dundalk.
They'd have definitely been relegated and one step closer to where they belong-the Leinster Senior League or "A" Championship.

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 11:25 PM
I misunderstood your meaning of mascot. I thought you meant the kids rather than Terry the Tiger. My apologies.
Suddenly your posts make a bit more sense!:p

Conor H
10/11/2007, 11:29 PM
Glad to see it's made your season finishing ahead of us. Not really the biggest of ambitions, but whatever makes you happy!

Our ambitions our on a much higher scale than that of UCD's.
Mid table obscurity will be another good season for minnows like yereselves......our aim is to challenge the Top 4.

Finishing ahead of ye is only sweet because of your resentment to us.

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2007, 11:35 PM
Our ambitions our on a much higher scale than that of UCD's.
Mid table obscurity will be another good season for minnows like yereselves......our aim is to challenge the Top 4.
One of our club's aims is to win the league within 5 years. Top 4 was our aim this year (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=810421&postcount=55) (second last paragraph).

GavinZac
11/11/2007, 12:28 AM
One of our club's aims is to win the league within 5 years. could ye aim for not embarressing the league with ye're attendances first, thanks?

Top 4 was our aim this year (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=810421&postcount=55) (second last paragraph).What a crock of... does he realise that in footballing terms this year, you were the second worst team?

Claret Murph
11/11/2007, 5:06 AM
Well i could go on but I will not , wellllllllllllllllll just a little bit then
Stu calling Terry the Tiger a Lion please will yer get your glasses sorted or what !!!!

But before I for forget I must say I was stunned by the crossbar challenge by the girls as four of the team hit the bar . Girls I tip my hat to you .......

Paddyfield
11/11/2007, 8:10 AM
Also never seen a team have to have the ball wrestled from them every time they concede a free even with half an hour to go in a meaningless game.

Meaningless? Had results elsewhere gone differently last Friday, UCD could've been second from bottom with a play-off to look forward to. Fortunately, results went your way (and Longford were deducted 6 points).

pineapple stu
11/11/2007, 8:46 AM
Meaningless for you, obviously.

Paddyfield
11/11/2007, 8:54 AM
Meaningless for you, obviously.

At last! We are on the same wavelength.

Galway United v UCD was a meaningless game for me.

Claret Murph
11/11/2007, 9:45 AM

All said and done it was worth 7,500 Euro to the club !!!!!:):):)

pineapple stu
11/11/2007, 10:05 AM

Of course.

So why bother timewasting from half time and having to have the ball wrestled off you for frees?

gufct
11/11/2007, 10:42 AM
we owed it to the other clubs involved at the bottom and our supporters all 2,288 of them to beat you at all costs and i can tell you 100% were delighted to finish above ye and the only pity was waterford didnt win.

Patrick Dunne
11/11/2007, 12:34 PM
GUFC were extremely professional on Friday night. What did you expect, that
we would role over and die just to do you "goys" a favour ?

gufct
11/11/2007, 1:52 PM
pineapple you see we are really all "united" we just enjoy coming from different perspectives just takes a "professional wum" like yourself to let us all speak as one.

Paddyfield
11/11/2007, 6:27 PM
Of course.

So why bother timewasting from half time and having to have the ball wrestled off you for frees?

I actually don't play for Galway United nor am I the manager.

I'm a supporter of the Club so I can't answer questions about tactics but I'll try anyway. The answer is so that Galway United could prevent the opponents from scoring more goals than Galway United. It's how games are won and lost.

We won. You lost.

Paddyfield
11/11/2007, 6:28 PM
we owed it to the other clubs involved at the bottom and our supporters all 2,288 of them to beat you at all costs and i can tell you 100% were delighted to finish above ye and the only pity was waterford didnt win.

Wrong gufct. There were 2 UCD fans there; 2286 were supporting United:D

Ceirtlis
13/11/2007, 12:17 PM

My lord what a whine of a post, you had a whole day to think about negative things to post here about Gufc and this is the best you can come up with. The half-time warm up is a kick about. If your players wanted they could have told the mascot to go it would have been no problem. It seems you were the only one that saw a problem though.

The score was read out wrong at half time by accident. It was regretable but i would be fairly sure that ye knew it was wrong anyways and so did your team with mobile phones and whatever. What advantage it would have to Gufc anyways that waterford were winning i dont know seen as it would motivate your team. And it wasnt done as a practical joke on your fans because there were very few of you there.

Point 3 you are clearly contradicting yourself. The aim of the post is to question gufc's professionalism but then you start giving out that galway united were professional on the pitch in trying to win what could be called a meaningless game. Thats the height of professionalism.

Heres an idea, if you dont like gufc dont post on our board.

eamo1
20/11/2007, 9:01 AM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=816858#post816858
:)

sadloserkid
23/11/2007, 5:19 PM
UCD bring absoloutely nothing to the league whatsoever.

The song "Sh!te team no fans" springs to mind.

And yet more proof that this man has being following the league for about 13 minutes. :rolleyes:

The song "Where were you when you were sh!t" seems just as relevant here.

That said Pineapple the mistake in the scoreline could have happened anywhere! :D

Maroon 7
23/11/2007, 5:24 PM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=816858#post816858
:)

Gotta love the unintentional irony of Stu calling United fans obsessed. Nobody would give a flying one about either him or UCD on this forum only for his two man campaign to take cheap digs at GUFC.

Conor H
23/11/2007, 5:27 PM
And yet more proof that this man has being following the league for about 13 minutes. :rolleyes:

The song "Where were you when you were sh!t" seems just as relevant here.

That said Pineapple the mistake in the scoreline could have happened anywhere! :D

Been following the LOI and GUFC for about 10 years actually.I was there when 187 people attended a game versus Kilkenny City in the ****ing rain which we lost 1-0.
I very much was there when we were ****.
However if UCD were top of the league they'd still just about muster a couple of hundred to their games.Pathetic.

Best of luck in the 1st Divison again next year.Must be nearing a record at this stage the amount of years ye've been down there.

sadloserkid
23/11/2007, 5:32 PM
Been following the LOI and GUFC for about 10 years actually.I was there when 187 people attended a game versus Kilkenny City in the ****ing rain which we lost 1-0.
I very much was there when we were ****.
However if UCD were top of the league they'd still just about muster a couple of hundred to their games.Pathetic.

The you'd appreciate the talent that UCD have developed over the years and the unique role they play in football in this country with their scholarship system. The fact is that if they were as crap as their detractors claim they would have gone to the wall years ago. That they haven't is perhaps an indictment of the Limerick's and Athlone's and who have you but what they've achieved is only more impressive because of their small fan base.

Similarly should Galway have been booted out of the league after your damp afternoon against Kilkenny? Of course not, clearly they regrouped and grew. Teams that compete on the field and off it (where UCD compete better than most and is effectively where Galway got promoted) are where they are on merit and for anybody to suggest otherwise is just whinging.

JC_GUFC
24/11/2007, 11:42 AM
Sadloserkid,
We can't have you coming on here and making sensible posts like that. Can a mod delete this post and have Sadloserkid banned from this forum please.

sadloserkid
24/11/2007, 1:04 PM
Sadloserkid,
We can't have you coming on here and making sensible posts like that. Can a mod delete this post and have Sadloserkid banned from this forum please.

My humblest apologies then. ;)

gilberto_eire
24/11/2007, 3:08 PM
we dont have any mods anymore.... i think 1/2 new ones should be appointed

DonO'Bate
29/11/2007, 9:38 PM
I don't understand the fixation some UCD fans have with GUFC, perhaps they are closet GUFC fans, if so they should go and seek some professional help. They come onto this forum any time day or night p****d out of their student heads, to complain about trivial things like a club mascot. They should stick to writing articles about 3rd Division Vietnamese football for their match day programme and leave United to get on with their plan for global domination.

GuisaSaigon
30/11/2007, 9:04 AM
There is no Vietnamese 3rd division Don. The V-League has only one Division AFAIK. Pretty good standard too, full of African players and Brazilians who couldn't make it in their own league. Match fixing is rife and over 20 referees are usually jailed each year.......... Maybe I could write something for the UCD Programme about it :D

pineapple stu
30/11/2007, 5:34 PM
Got that covered in the next issue actually; Mbabazi Livingstone is playing there now.