PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy: Rovers our biggest test so far

Iorfa
16/05/2003, 11:32 AM
from www.eleven-a-side.com

Shamrock Rovers travel to the RSC on Friday night to face the eircom Premier Division’s surprise packets Waterford United and Blues boss Jimmy McGeough knows this will be his side’s biggest game so far this season.

Waterford have confounded the critics by their excellent start to the season which sees them currently occupy 4th position on ten points, the same total as Rovers only the Dubliners have a better scoring difference.

A 1-1 draw with high flying Cork City at Turners Cross last Friday has proven that McGeough’s side are no pushovers and they deserve their current standing in the league.

Even though the Blues have played Bohemians, Shelbourne and Cork, the United manager feels that their biggest test of the season so far will come from Liam Buckley’s Rovers side.

“To my mind it is our biggest game so far after promotion at the end of last season even though we have three of the biggest clubs in the Division,” stressed McGeough.

Central defender David Breen is ruled out of the Rovers match following his red card against Cork, while Wayne Fitzgerald still has not recovered from a groin injury.

McGeough can recall striker Gary O’Neill who missed last weekend’s draw at Turners Cross as he was in New York at his brother’s wedding.

Rovers boss Buckley must plan without Trevor Molloy is on the long term casualty list after he sustained a nasty ankle injury in the 0-0 draw with Longford on Saturday and his place is expected to go to Tony Grant.

The Sheliban
16/05/2003, 11:50 AM
Its a shame he doesn't explain why playing Rovers is a bigger game than Bohs, Cork or Shels. I'm intrigued to hear his reasoning.

Iorfa
16/05/2003, 11:55 AM
I think it's more of a historical thing, when we were winning championships and cups in the 60s/70s, Rovers were always competing with us and Jimmy was part of that side, plus this is possibly the first game of the season so far that some people expect us to win, the pressure is on us.

Blue Muff
16/05/2003, 12:01 PM
Its a bigger game casue if we win we will take second spot outright, the first time this has happened in years. It will swell interest in the city from the average 3,500 to 7,000 or 8,000 for the next home game if we are still second.

noby
16/05/2003, 12:25 PM
Ease up there muffy boy.
even if we are 2nd in the table I can't see 7,000-8,000 against longford

Iorfa
16/05/2003, 12:32 PM
Yeah Noby, i think 8000 out at the RSC for the visit of Longford Town is a tad optimistic, but even if we were to get 3000 - 4000 again it would be some achievement.

blutil
16/05/2003, 3:36 PM
depending on other results, the longofrd game could put us top. Ok im going to shut up now, really am i know that this'll just come back and bite me in the arse we'll go bottom get deducted 70 points for darren brownes appearence in the stand and everything will be blamed on me saying we could go top !!!

patsh
16/05/2003, 10:24 PM
Nice one lads, ye passed the test with flying colours! :)