PDA

View Full Version : Limerick: 1 Athlone : 0

Oh No
16/05/2003, 10:13 AM
This was a disappointing result after our high against Bray, I thought we would win this one easily.

I hope we can get a bit of consistancy both on the field and on the bench.

sadloserkid
19/05/2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Oh No
I thought we would win this one easily.

Oh did you now? Well maybe that's part of the problem? As it happens we fully expected to stuff you lot as well! Overall your defence did well though with a few moments of concern, your midfield was poor and offered very little going forward and while Mullen looks handy enough up front the number ten was abysmal! Who was he as a matter of interest?

Oh No
19/05/2003, 3:26 PM
I didn't make the match so I'm not sure and you can't always go by the listings on reports.

With the usual no. 10 Stephen Kelly out through injury it has to be either Damian Rush, Michael McCann or Harney.

atfconline - do you know?

parnell ranger
19/05/2003, 3:57 PM
i didnt fancy our chances at all against limerick on the evidence of the recent friendly.
even had a bet on lims for the title,but hope they get a decent goalscorer.

atfconline
19/05/2003, 5:10 PM
Don't know I'm afraid, as you said, Kelly normally takes the No. 10 shirt. If it was the second striker SLK, it was Michael McCann. We got him from Kildare.

sadloserkid
20/05/2003, 8:10 AM
Yeah it was the second (somewhat petulant) striker. Thanks.

Oh No
20/05/2003, 1:14 PM
Can't fault McCann so far this season, he scored a brace against Bray including a beauty at the end. He has also being combining well with Mullin up front.

Sometimes a striker's performance is gauged by the quality of supply and as you suggested SLK our midfield was poor. It shouldn't be though because there is a lot of experience there.

sadloserkid
20/05/2003, 1:19 PM
as you suggested SLK our midfield was poor.

That's all that's holding you back really I think because other than that you're well up to standard. Our midfield lost Brendan Hughes and Oran Welderick in the close season and neither Brendan Sweeney or John Whyte were on against you either (though Whyte did come on as a sub). Despite this our make-shift midfield comfortably controlled most of the possession against you.

atfconline
20/05/2003, 2:06 PM
Can't fault McCann so far this season, he scored a brace against Bray including a beauty at the end. He has also being combining well with Mullin up front.

Sometimes a striker's performance is gauged by the quality of supply and as you suggested SLK our midfield was poor. It shouldn't be though because there is a lot of experience there.

Well in fairness there wasn't a whole lot of expereince there for the Limerick game. O'Brien, Rushe, Harney and Collins. Collins would be the only one that you could call experienced, and if he was out on the left again, he wouldn't obviously have had hte control in the centre.