PDA

View Full Version : Galway game

U-C-D
09/11/2007, 7:03 PM
1-1 after 1 minute! sounds entertaining. bray 2-0 up already. come on rovers.

any news on starting team?

Poor Student
09/11/2007, 7:04 PM
We're 2-1 down. I know McNally and King are on the bench and we're playing 4-4-2.

U-C-D
09/11/2007, 7:08 PM
why would mcnally be on the bench? surely he wasnt dropped for shorty. tony must be in midfield if kingers on the bench

Poor Student
09/11/2007, 7:10 PM
No idea. He might be half injured. I hear it's an open match.

Schumi
09/11/2007, 7:50 PM
Team as far I can tell is:

- - - - - - - Quigley - - - - - - -

Mahon - Kenna - Shortall - Bermo

Conan - Finn - - Tony - McWalter

- - - - Sammon - - P Byrne - - - -

U-C-D
09/11/2007, 8:36 PM
waterford score they stay up, if they let 1 in they go down, if it stays 0-0 there in the playoff. now thats tight

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2007, 10:20 AM
What a time to play a weakened team, in the two most important positions on the pitch.

Poor Student
10/11/2007, 10:22 AM
What a time to play a weakened team, in the two most important positions on the pitch.

Pete obviously went with the best team he felt he had available. McNally must have been only partially fit. Tony Mac is an automatic choice to Mahon, at least he definitely is when McFaul is out.

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 4:23 PM
A nerve wracking 90 minutes in Galway ultimately saw UCD secure Premier Division football for next season, but it was another disappointing performance, and one which saw them end with a run of two points from seven games.

Manager Pete Mahon changed thinigs around after last week's 3-0 stuffing by St Pat's, with Alan McNally, Brian Shortall and Brian King. Paul Crowley, Ian Bermingham and Paul Byrne came back into the line up, with Tony McDonnell shifting to central defence. A point would seal safety for UCD, but if they lost, they would have to rely on either Bray losing against Sligo or Waterford not winning away to Shamrock Rovers.

The game had a quite sensational opening. Just 8 seconds had elapsed when Galway won a penalty - straight from tip, Galway went down the left, Derek O'Brien burst into the box and was tripped by Alan Mahon. Alan Keane tucked the spot kick home off the post.

But UCD, who hadn't scored in four games, were level within 60 seconds. Ian Bermingham's low cross was snatched at by Wes Charles, whose panicked clearance hit off Paul Byrne and rolled into the far corner. The goal gave the scoreline the bizarre statistic of Galway United 1 (Keane 1), UCD 1 (P Byrne 1).

Just five minutes later, news filtered through from Bray that the Seagulls had taken the lead against Sligo, moving them ahead of UCD in the table. That became 2-0 on 14 minutes, by which time Conan Byrne had nearly given UCD the lead when he broke into the box, but his drive was excellently turned away by the Galway keeper, Gary Rogers. And on the quarter hour, Paul Byrne's flick sent Conor Sammon through; the keeper was out to narrow the angle, forcing Sammon wide, and his pass back to McWalter was misplaced.

It was the start of the story of the match for UCD. The Galway defence was hesitant and shaky under pressure and under any bouncing ball, more often than not quite happy to hoof clear into row Z. But the Students' weak attack simply couldn't take any advantage, while at the other end, UCD's own unusually shaky defence gifted Galway fewer, but far better, chances in what was a hugely open first half. And crucially, Galway took one of those chances on 17 minutes, when Derek Glynn - who burst onto the league scene with six goals in his first three games, but who hadn't scored since the last meeting between the two teams back in August - held off Tony McDonnell to break into the box and slot home under the advancing Quigley.

For the next ten minutes, it was a one-man show as Quigley denied Galway quite superbly on three occasions. First off, a shot on the turn was pushed out for a corner, before a horrific pass from Tony McDonnell set Glynn through one on one, but Quigley was out to the edge of the area to make a smothering save, and a minute later, Paul Byrne's loose pass set up another attack for Galway; from the right wing cross, a header came in which Quigley again did well to push away.

UCD were evidently rattled by the prospect of a play off, which had seemed so remote seven weeks ago, but to their credit, they did emerge from that spell and start to create some openings again. On the half hour, Pat McWalter's low cross went right across the six yard box, with Sammon inches from connecting, while three minutes later, the same pair combined with Sammon just failing to beat the Galway keeper to a lovely through ball from McWalter. Paul Byrne got the ball stuck under his feet from an Ian Bermingham cross, while two chances arrived just on half time - first, Paul Crowley's header found Sammon in acres of space, but the striker's first time volley from the edge of the area was just wide when he perhaps had time to take a touch, and then Sammon's header almost found Crowley, but again the keeper had to be quickly out to snuff out the danger.

At half time, UCD were a point above the play off, hoping Waterford wouldn't take a shock lead in Tolka. Granted, the news filtering through early in the second half was that Waterford were time wasting already, seemingly content to keep things tight and play for the 0-0 that would guarantee the play off rather than throw players forward for the win but risk leaving gaps at the back which could see them concede and go straight down.

Five minutes into the second half, Galway missed another great chance to put the game out of UCD's reach - a corner from the right ended up trickling right the way across the face of the UCD goal with two players only just unable to connect and send the ball into an empty net.

The game was less open than the first half; UCD were still far too exposed on the wings, Conan Byrne was fading on the wing and while the Galway defence still looked their for the taking, it was becoming less clear as to who could actually manufacture something. Ronan Finn, easily the most energetic performance of the night, sent had a snap shot from the edge of the area wide, but on the hour, another slip in the UCD defence sent Galway through, but Ian Bermingham produced a quite superb last ditch tackle to deny an almost certain goal.

The game quietend down further after that; when UCD wanted, they passed the ball around to little enough effect, but this was always underlain by the nerves which had seen several awful misplaced passes already. The tempo upped again though as we entered the last ten minutes - Paul Byrne sent a header across goal, and then remarkably missed from three yards as a corner was cleared and returned over the defence, but on the turn, the unmarked Byrne could only prod a weak volley straight at Rogers with the goal gaping.

UCD's attitude towards the game was summed up when Galway put the ball out for treatment to one of their players, but played on from the throw instead of giving the ball back. Karma struck on this occasion as Conan Byrne was almost instantly dispossessed as he looked to get a cross in.

As we entered the first of four minutes of injury time, UCD were starting to camp out in Galway's half, knowing that a goal would end any doubts as to survival. Still no word was coming through from Tolka - apart from the Galway PA, who bizarrely announced Waterford were leading at half time. Alan McNally sent in a low drive minutes after coming on which Rovers got down to save, Vinny Sullivan in Tolka fresh air kicked at an open goal which would have put us in the play offs, we launched free after free into the box, tried overheads, scrambles, anything to force the ball in. It was all to no avail, as the final whistle went with Galway having preserved their advantage. UCD's players trooped off the pitch utterly dejected, but two minutes later came the news that Waterford had ended scoreless with Rovers, thereby ending up a point behind UCD in the standings, and condemned to a play off against either Harps or Cobh.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Bermingham (McNally 84), Kenna, McDonnell; Crowley, C Byrne, McWalter, Finn; Sammon (Purcell 74), P Byrne. Subs not used - Gregg, Shortall. There was another used sub too; can't remember who.

Booked - McDonnell

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2007, 10:42 PM
Highlights from Vinny on Galway's forum.

B_RmU_EKtJo

Galway's peno seems to be very marginally outside the box.

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 10:50 PM
The stand is a lot emptier than I realised. Given that the new stand was between half and two thirds full, there's no way in hell there were 2288 at that game.

Gas to see the entire first two minutes! Penalty challenge is on seven seconds, scored on 38 seconds, and we equalise on 77!

Awful camerawork.

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2007, 11:12 PM
Shocking defending for their second goal.

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 11:14 PM
I'd rather have seen the goal, to be honest.

What's up - can't take criticism? Do you think the camerawork is good? Should we not criticise Galway now because they don't like it? :confused: :rolleyes:

Conor H
10/11/2007, 11:14 PM
The stand is a lot emptier than I realised. Given that the new stand was between half and two thirds full, there's no way in hell there were 2288 at that game.

Gas to see the entire first two minutes! Penalty challenge is on seven seconds, scored on 38 seconds, and we equalise on 77!

Awful camerawork.

See EL Section.

ps-You're obsessed.There was probabaly more than the quoted figure in the ground.

pineapple stu
10/11/2007, 11:18 PM
It is indeed a good service. But I don't see the problem in saying it's poor camerawork.

CollegeTillIDie
11/11/2007, 7:59 AM
The third used sub didn't appear in the newspapers either. Brian King was on the bench if that's any help.

pineapple stu
11/11/2007, 8:33 AM
King came on, yeah. Could have been for Crowley. Around 80 minutes.

CollegeTillIDie
11/11/2007, 9:00 AM
Thanks stu that clears it up then must give Kinger credit for that then in the stats.

Schumi
11/11/2007, 3:42 PM
I'd rather have seen the goal, to be honest.Which goal? All three are there. :confused:

The camera work is a bit dodgy but as it's presumably not a professional person operating it, that's hardly surprising. I'd be happy to have a similar service at our home games tbh. I think the manager interview would work better as a separate video though, it's a bit distracting in the corner. Also turning off the crowd noise for the slow-mos would be a good idea, the low, guttural roar is very odd!

pineapple stu
11/11/2007, 4:23 PM
Our one is only just caught.

Overdramaticism on my part, obviously. But the camera work is poor (it's like yer man is asleep for seconds at a time), and I don't see a problem saying so.

Would love if we got something similar arranged. It's come up a few times; maybe next season.

gufct
12/11/2007, 1:18 PM
Tha is not the official cameraman that GUFC use.Watch eircom weekly tonight Stu the view will be from the other side.

mcglinchey
12/11/2007, 1:42 PM
i thought we were a shambles,the 2 goals were disgraceful,outdone from the tip for the 1st goal and the two lads were a shambles for the second. Why did mcnally not play does anyone know?strange decision me thinks...where do we go from here? any word on anybody being released?

DmanDmythDledge
12/11/2007, 4:47 PM
Why did mcnally not play does anyone know?strange decision me thinks
Think he was dropped as a result of the Pats game. Stupid decision. Kenna is a very good player but can't organise the defence.

mcglinchey
12/11/2007, 5:10 PM
Think he was dropped as a result of the Pats game. Stupid decision. Kenna is a very good player but can't organise the defence.

if that was the case then well done pete mahon you stupid man.i cant remember the last time the guy had a bad game,(before the pats game obviously) and he's dropped on that basis. its ridiculous. the club was in danger of being sent into the play-off's and he drops who is arguably one of our best players.

pineapple stu
12/11/2007, 10:10 PM
Think he was dropped as a result of the Pats game.
I think that's exactly it. Sherro was livid with him in particular after the game. Wasn't overly surprised to see it happen.

Schumi
12/11/2007, 10:15 PM
If that was the basis for dropping people, we'd have a different 11 out every week.

mcglinchey
13/11/2007, 8:34 AM
I think that's exactly it. Sherro was livid with him in particular after the game.

sherro was livid with who??:confused:

John83
13/11/2007, 8:55 AM
sherro was livid with who??:confused:
NcNally aparently. :eek:

mcglinchey
13/11/2007, 9:02 AM
NcNally aparently. :eek:

I would'nt excatly call it good pr for the club if someone from the higher echelons in the club more or less publicly chastises a players performance.. does his performances over the season count for nothing because of one bad game? did he single mcnally out in particular?

pineapple stu
13/11/2007, 4:23 PM
I should qualify that, I suppose.

He was in a foul mood after the Pat's game, and I had great fun by winding him up mentioning random player names and watching him rant on each one. McNally he blamed for the first goal against Pat's (losing his man too easily), and possibly another one.

Should obviously be stated that (a) he wasn't publicly chastising the players and (b) he doesn't pick the team, so it's no different to me chastising the players. My point was merely that Allie Mac had come in for some stick for a poor performance in the Pat's game, and as a result of that, I wasn't surprised to see him dropped. Disappointed, yes, but not entirely surprised.

mcglinchey
13/11/2007, 4:33 PM
Should obviously be stated that (a) he wasn't publicly chastising the players and (b) he doesn't pick the team, so it's no different to me chastising the players.

I dont think it is the same as myself or yourself chastising the players pineapple stu.we are just fans. Sherro bankrolls the club more or less and to publicly chastise a player/players like that to a fan is uncalled for and unprofessional.

pineapple stu
13/11/2007, 11:32 PM
Once again, he did not publicly chastise the player.