PDA

View Full Version : Monaghan United - v - Limerick 37 Preview

Magicme
09/11/2007, 12:33 PM
Monaghan United FC play their last game of the 2008 season in the FAI eircom League of Ireland First Division this Saturday night at 7.45pm at Kingspan Century Park. The 2008 season has been a mixed bag for United with some startling results (4-0 victory against Shelbourne) and some disappointments (2-2 draw with Athlone by giving a penalty away in 90th minute) making for an interesting if inconsistent season. Mick Cooke’s team had aimed for a mid-table finish this season and but will fall short of their goal even if United can beat Limerick 37 on Saturday.

Monaghan United and Limerick 37 have provided each other with some good games during the season with Limerick coming out on top in the first two encounters (both 1-0 victories for Limerick) and United surprising Limerick on their last meeting in Jackman Park when United won 2-0 thanks to goals from United’s Robbie Farrell and Willie Doyle.

As has oft been the case this season, Mick Cooke will have to plan without a number of players through injuries and suspensions. Khalid Huessain, Ian McCluskey, and Alvin Rouse join the longer termed injured Peter D’arcy, Jason McCartney, Stephen Finnegan, Danny Woods and Willie Doyle.

“I am hoping that we can go out of the season on a high with a win against Limerick 37 but once more I have struck down with more injuries. I have lost Khalid Hussain (ankle) and Ian McCluskey (ankle) and Danny Woods (shoulder) are both 50/50’s and Alvin Rouse (gastroenteritis) is still out.”

As the season winds down, United will be glad of the break giving them time to re-coup and hopefully pull together an even stronger squad for next season.

“This season has been up and down. We didn’t start off too well but in the 3rd quarter when I had a fully fit squad to pick from and we showed what we were capable of doing. In 10 games we only lost 2 and if we can keep the core of the squad we have we have the potential to do well.”

LIST OF INJURIES AND SUSPENSIONS:

Injuries:
Peter D’arcy (groin)
Jason McCartney (ankle)
Stephen Finnegan (knee)
Danny Woods (shoulder)
Willie Doyle (knee)
Khalid Huessain (ankle)
Ian McCluskey (ankle)
Alvin Rouse (gastroenteritis)

Suspended:
Andrew Cousins