PDA

View Full Version : Player of the Year 2007

Paddyfield
08/11/2007, 9:33 PM
The Player of the Year award is to be presented in the Menlo Park Hotel after the UCD game. How was the POTY chosen? I didn't vote even though I'm a season ticket holder.

Here's my vote:

Derek O'Brien

Any other votes?

Conor H
08/11/2007, 10:34 PM
Vote tomorrow at the match.
Slips will be provided.

EDIT-I'll also be voting for Derek.Top lad when you meet him to.

Claret Murph
09/11/2007, 6:26 AM
I have said Reggie all along , now I know he had an iffy patch but so has everyone in the team .
As for Derek he has come on a hell of a lot this season . He is a lot better with his head than he ever was BUT, he still only looks like a 70 minute player as he fades in most games . Within the first 10 minutes of every game I can tell what sort of a game he will have , ie if he skins the full back early on he has a stormer and if not it looks like he go's into himself . I still would have him in my team week in and week out thou ......

Tir Oilean
09/11/2007, 7:39 AM
Thought TC was making the decision on POTY.

I'm caught between Derek O'Brien and Johnny Lester. So Derek gets for his lenghty service to the club and just incase he leaves:-(

Patrick Dunne
09/11/2007, 8:12 AM
The manager of the club chooses the GUFC Player of the Year, to be
presented in the Menlo Park Hotel tonight.

GUST will hold our Christmas party on Saturday December 8th, in Foxes Bar. The GUST "Galway United Player of the Year Award" will be presented on the night. Voting slips are available this evening, in Foxes, from the GUST stand in Terryland, and from all GUST committee members.

corbyeire
09/11/2007, 11:24 AM
if alan keane had the season he would be my player

i suppose DOB no one really had a stand out season

gufct
09/11/2007, 11:29 AM
John Lester would be mine .Ridiculed by some fans but ended up probably our most consistent performer and probably suffered because of his large Frame. Never gave less than 100% in any game.

corbyeire
09/11/2007, 11:30 AM
i agree lester was brilliant for the last third of the season - alright in the middle part - but poor enough at the start of the season

eamo1
09/11/2007, 11:38 AM
Alan Keane,the next billy clery.

GuisaSaigon
09/11/2007, 1:22 PM
Yeah, I'd go with Derek over the whole season. He has improved a lot since Cousins took over. He has had a few quiet games but overall has consistently been our best performer IMO.

gufct
09/11/2007, 1:39 PM
[QUOTE=Vinchenzo;810847]I don't know how people can vote for Keane or Lester, Lesters 1st third of the season was atrocious he only came on abit mid season and has a very solid end to the season. Keane would have been my player of the year but he missed nearly half the year, Derek O'Brien was consistently good for the hole YEAR.[/QUOTE

He wasnt atrocious at the start of the season if you remmember who got the MOM in cork. He wasnt brilliant but he was still one of our better performers.

gilberto_eire
09/11/2007, 2:31 PM
John Lester would be mine .Ridiculed by some fans but ended up probably our most consistent performer and probably suffered because of his large Frame. Never gave less than 100% in any game.

if your talking about consistency well then he's a non runner, has been terrible in mid-field so much so he was dropped from there for a while until he filled in a CB where he done a good job, last 2 games back in the middle, giving the ball away!!...... Reggie and keano have been the only consistent perfomers all year, they have done there jobs...

DOB hasnt..how many goals has he made/scored?.... not enough considering how good he is with ball at feet!

gufct
09/11/2007, 3:32 PM
Alan Keane has played 13 games plus one sub so its making a mockery of the player of the year to give it to him no matter how ell he played. Its between Lester,Reggi & Derek .

gilberto_eire
09/11/2007, 3:54 PM
Alan Keane has played 13 games plus one sub so its making a mockery of the player of the year to give it to him no matter how ell he played. Its between Lester,Reggi & Derek .

thats not what i said...i said if your basing it on consistency there the only two consistent performers all year!!

exiled_gufc_fan
10/11/2007, 1:03 AM
The Players' Player and Young Player of the Year were announced tonight at the Menlo after the game.

Young Player Award = Alan Keane

Player of the Year Award = Derek O'Brien.

A good night tonight actually.

gilberto_eire
10/11/2007, 2:28 PM
congrats to DOB, i always said he was a contender but i just dont think he created/scored enough to earn it but wouldnt begrudge him in it....

DOB... was nice to see im at the forefront of your mind(called mini'Saigon Gilberto after mini passed comment after the award, saying he wasnt his choice but well done):D