PDA

View Full Version : Urban Legend?

passinginterest
08/11/2007, 3:53 PM
The girlfriend told me this story about a friend of a friend of a friend type thing. I though it was hilarious, and have a feeling it's an urban legend, anyone else have an opinion?

The story goes that a girl has a pet snake that she looks after well, feeds every day and allows it to sleep curled up on the end of her bed. After a while the snake changes it's regular behaviour, it starts to refuse food and instead of curling up it stretches out beside the girl at night.

Obviously concerned that the snake is not eating she brings it to the vet. After hearing the story the vet is very concerned and advises that she get rid of the snake immediately. She's devastated, the vet goes on to explain that the snake has stopped eating as it is starving itself, and it is stretching out beside her at night to measure her up to see if she can be swallowed whole...

Anyway thought it was a great story.

Fact or fiction?

strangeirish
08/11/2007, 3:58 PM
Must have been Mary Harney's Burmese Python:D

Wolfie
08/11/2007, 4:26 PM
I think that snake went on to work for the FAI.

When appointing the last manager the snake suggested "Ssssssssssssssssssteve Sssssssssssssstaunton"

paul_oshea
08/11/2007, 4:47 PM
and the same ssssssshnnnnake sssssssssugested hung him high and dry.

dahamsta
08/11/2007, 4:50 PM
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54322811

dcfcsteve
08/11/2007, 11:57 PM
Name me one animal, let alone one as relatively unintelligent as a reptile, that deliberately starves itself in preference and in preparation for the off-chance of a particular meal at some unspecified and non-guaranteed future point ? Name me one retile than can cogniticely grasp the concept of 'the future'.

Also - the idea that a snake has to unravel itself alongside something like a giant tape measure, peering over its head to see where it's tail has reached today - before it knows if it can handle eating something is also comically stupid. How the feck dfo you think they get on with things in the wild.

This story is complete twaddle, doesn't stand-up to even the most obvious of questioning such that only a moron could believe it, and it amazes me that anyone could be so daft as to give it even half credence.... :o

kingdom hoop
09/11/2007, 1:19 AM
:D :D You crack me up, in a good way, Steve, brilliantly individual and entertaining work!

anto1208
09/11/2007, 8:29 AM
Name me one animal, let alone one as relatively unintelligent as a reptile, that deliberately starves itself in preference and in preparation for the off-chance of a particular meal at some unspecified and non-guaranteed future point ? Name me one retile than can cogniticely grasp the concept of 'the future'.

Also - the idea that a snake has to unravel itself alongside something like a giant tape measure, peering over its head to see where it's tail has reached today - before it knows if it can handle eating something is also comically stupid. How the feck dfo you think they get on with things in the wild.

This story is complete twaddle, doesn't stand-up to even the most obvious of questioning such that only a moron could believe it, and it amazes me that anyone could be so daft as to give it even half credence.... :o

Penguin ?

Ninja Turtle

Id say if there is any truth to the story the girl in question being a woman prob only half listened added in her own facts and made it sound stupid then told it to another girl who did the same . It kinda makes sense that before a big meal the snake would stretch but id say thats to loosen up rather than measure the dinner. :D

I like the comments in that link above "how does a vet know what the snake is doing" because he is a vet you moron !!!

Wolfie
09/11/2007, 8:44 AM

I don't know, Steve. That Diana out of "V" was a Super bitch of a Reptile. I'd say she'd measure you up and scoff ye in a minute.

paul_oshea
09/11/2007, 9:17 AM
who sleeps with a foockin snake?

my girlfriend ;)

Name me one retile than can cogniticely grasp the concept of 'the future'.

No but I can name one ret....:D

Here is an example of an "animal" that streches out to kill and eat its prey. GOne in one shot Steve! :D

apolemia uvaria - and don't call it what you think it is, cos it isn't its part of the syphonophores family.

cheifo
09/11/2007, 9:25 AM
Diana out of "V" is proably the only reptile that could ever have made it into tottywatch.As an 11 year old I was smitten.:D

Calcio Jack
09/11/2007, 11:06 AM

Well maybe people who have a sense of humour and a bit of imagination like this type of story or as there better know 'urban legend'

Wolfie
09/11/2007, 12:05 PM
Diana out of "V" is proably the only reptile that could ever have made it into tottywatch.As an 11 year old I was smitten.:D

Julie was fit too. She was human as well, which is always a bonus.

cheifo
09/11/2007, 2:03 PM
Julie was fit too. She was human as well, which is always a bonus.

A bonus perhaps but I'm not fussy:).

dcfcsteve
12/11/2007, 3:22 PM

I hear ya.......

Well maybe people who have a sense of humour and a bit of imagination like this type of story or as there better know 'urban legend'

Well - if you like made-up/exaggerated stories being promulgated about animals, then doubtless you love the Herald's regular take on Rovers fans.....

:D

You don't stretch yourself out on the sofa next to the plate prior to tucking into a ready meal by any chance, do ya...? :p

my girlfriend ;)

I'm afraid I've told her she can't come round to mine any more though Paul.

At least, not unless she's brings that shirt round with her.....! :)

Penguin ?

Are you saying that a penguin deliberately starves itself in preference, and in preparation, for the off-chance of a particular meal at some unspecified and non-guaranteed future point ?

Or were you just naming me an animal...? :)