PDA

View Full Version : MU V Kiev - Classic Bill

shedite
08/11/2007, 1:17 PM
Anyone see RTE's halftime analysis of United and Kiev last night? THe pundits were basically saying it "hasn't really got going" and "crowd aren't interested" and were trying to be nice about it basically.

Bill turned around and said "It's boring really isn't it, let's call a spade a spade. Are you forgetting what station you're working for".

Nice little dig at Sky who try to make you believe the CL is absolutely epic football every night.

passinginterest
08/11/2007, 1:20 PM
At the end he said something along the lines of 'well that was a load of rubbish' to which the lads responded, 'now now Bill we can't be saying things like that or the Man U supporters will be ringing in to complain'. It was pretty funny.

jebus
08/11/2007, 4:29 PM
RTE Lads = Credit to this nation

mr miyagi
09/11/2007, 12:41 PM
At the end he said something along the lines of 'well that was a load of rubbish' to which the lads responded, 'now now Bill we can't be saying things like that or the Man U supporters will be ringing in to complain'. It was pretty funny.

I think it was "well that was a crap match wasn't it ?"

and it was....it was

rambler14
21/11/2007, 8:46 AM
Commentator: We better hand back to Bill in the studio..........
Bill: I suppose you better because that was crap wasn't it lads.
Panel: Ah u can't be sayin that Bill!
Bill: Wasn't it though?
Giles: Yes it was

:D:D:D TV GOLD

OwlsFan
21/11/2007, 12:10 PM
Pub talk. So do you want them to fart as well like in the pub (other people of course, not me)? Nothing classic about that.

It's also not up the presenter so say whether it was "crap" or not. Bill's a professional PR man and I doubt he'd have a clue what was crap or not. As a professional presenter he should have asked the panel what they thought of the game and let them as "experts" decide whether it was poor or not. In any event, the watching fan doesn't need the panel to tell them whether it's an enjoyable game or not.

EAFC_rdfl
21/11/2007, 1:14 PM
Pub talk. So do you want them to fart as well like in the pub (other people of course, not me)? Nothing classic about that.

It's also not up the presenter so say whether it was "crap" or not. Bill's a professional PR man and I doubt he'd have a clue what was crap or not. As a professional presenter he should have asked the panel what they thought of the game and let them as "experts" decide whether it was poor or not. In any event, the watching fan doesn't need the panel to tell them whether it's an enjoyable game or not.

exactly! I was stunned when he said that - he's only supposed to get the pundits opinion on the game, sometimes by gently guiding them towards a view point but never by coming straight out like that. also agree, at times it just seems to be a contest between dunphy & giles to see who can say the worst about Ronaldo

Don't really like the way they look down on Celtic but thats a different matter...:mad:

osarusan
21/11/2007, 1:22 PM

Bill, in his role as a "professional PR man", will have seen and heard analysis about hundreds, if not thousands, of games. I'm sure he has a clue what is crap or not.

the point being made is that rte are more likely to tell the truth, ie "that game was crap", than some British channels who feel every game has to be a classic.

Jesus, any excuse for you to have a whinge about rte.

OwlsFan
21/11/2007, 4:19 PM
Bill, in his role as a "professional PR man", will have seen and heard analysis about hundreds, if not thousands, of games. I'm sure he has a clue what is crap or not.

the point being made is that rte are more likely to tell the truth, ie "that game was crap", than some British channels who feel every game has to be a classic.

Jesus, any excuse for you to have a whinge about rte.

It's the old "tell the truth" argument that is wheeled out everytime. And am I not permitted to dispute the "classic Bill" stuff?

I don't need Bill O'Herlihy to tell me whether a game was "crap" or not and then to hear that such a statement is "classic". Of course Sky SPorts hype their product because if they didn't, they'd go out of existence because (RTE relies on its license fee and advertising) they need people to sign up but other than Alan "brilliant" Parry, I have seldom heard poor games being extolled by commentators as a classic as you allege.

The RTE "truth" is Giles and Dunphy's "truth" but it's not mine and many thousands of others. Controversial for the sake of being controversial I'd call it and certainly not the "truth".

End of "whinge" :p

Dodge
21/11/2007, 4:25 PM
The RTE "truth" is Giles and Dunphy's "truth" but it's not mine and many thousands of others. Controversial for the sake of being controversial I'd call it and certainly not the "truth".

The truth was the game was ****e, and sky definitely hype up their games. Their "analysts" are ridiclous in hyper praising the most mundane of things in a very poor game

Dunphy is a cartoon charachter. O'Herlihy is a terrible tv presenter. Giles couldn't name you 15 players outside of the premiership. And RTE still has, by far, the best panel for football.

Commentators are dreadful though.

OwlsFan
21/11/2007, 4:39 PM
Commentators are dreadful though.

Darragh Maloney: I think he's ok. I used to love Phillip Green's ("We've scored" when Shamrock Rovers scored once :D) commentaries and Jimmy Magee, while blinding one with facts was also good. George Hamilton though: seldom knows why a free kick has been awarded and his usual thinking a game is wrapped up with 30 minutes to go, even though one side is only leading by a goal.

Thanks be to God Rhyl Nugent doesn't do soccer.

Martin Tyler on Sky I also think is ok.

osarusan
25/11/2007, 10:34 AM
Darragh Maloney: I think he's ok. I used to love Phillip Green's ("We've scored" when Shamrock Rovers scored once :D) commentaries and Jimmy Magee, while blinding one with facts was also good. George Hamilton though: seldom knows why a free kick has been awarded and his usual thinking a game is wrapped up with 30 minutes to go, even though one side is only leading by a goal.

Thanks be to God Rhyl Nugent doesn't do soccer.

Martin Tyler on Sky I also think is ok.

Agreed with all that, except I also think Hamilton doesn't know how offside works.

Is Steven Alkin still around? He was pretty knowledgeable about the rules of the game, although he didn't have the best voice for commentary. Gabriel Egan isn't bad either.

Yes, Tyler is a very good commentator. He has a knack of saying things which make great commentary soundbites/clips.

Dodge
25/11/2007, 12:22 PM
Agreed with all that, except I also think Hamilton doesn't know how offside works.

Is Steven Alkin still around? He was pretty knowledgeable about the rules of the game, although he didn't have the best voice for commentary. Gabriel Egan isn't bad either.

Yes, Tyler is a very good commentator. He has a knack of saying things which make great commentary soundbites/clips.

Alkin is a producer with RTE and only really commentates when neccesary. Egan is suited to the radio and he's terrific IMO. He's started to do TV stuff and tbh its not the same.

jebus
25/11/2007, 12:45 PM

Was trying to think of what would be a dream studio and commentary team. Tyler would be my pick for main commentator, but I struggled to name a top quality secondary commentator. Lawrenson is a joke shop, Gray is too xenophobic, ITV, RTE and TV3 shouldn't even be mentioned for their commentary teams, and Gerry Armstrong is too quiet for me, but would be my choice out of that poor lot. Anyone have any other ideas?

For the rest of the team I'd have Des Lynam be the anchor, with Brady, Souness and Hansen on the panel. Personally I think Hansen used to be very good, back about ten or so years ago, but has fallen into this BBC buddy-buddy trap, but given the right team I think he knows his stuff and wouldn't be afraid to criticise anyone. I'd also have James Richardson doing reports, but you'd have to get him as interested in English football as his in Italian to get the best out of him. On his day though he is the best football presenter/reporter in Europe

EAFC_rdfl
13/12/2007, 8:50 AM
Peter Collins is Ron Burgandy!!

Stuttgart88
13/12/2007, 12:42 PM
For what it's worth I think that Gabriel Egan is superb.

Ceirtlis
14/12/2007, 12:13 PM
I dont like Hansen at all i think he is a smug **** and never really gives anything inciteful. The English media cant really go to town on players because they know them and they have to work with them, abit similar to the way rte work with GAA players. Have you ever seen George Hamilton interviewing managers though after games? He probably still hasnt got his tongue out of Benitez' hole from the other night. The analysis doesnt really bother me, i make my own mind up watching the game.