PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League Fan Soccer Tournament

L37Ultra
07/11/2007, 11:36 PM
I got talking to a Cork City fan about our plan down in Limerick to enter a Junior Soccer team made up only of L37 Supporter Club members. We have decieded to enter a team into a local 6-a-side tournament before the Junior season begins again next year, just for the kick about we badly need. He saw this plan and asked us to play Cork City fans in a friendly some time. The Plan now is to end up with an annual Eircom League Fans Tournament so at the moment we are going to try a 4 way Munster tournament and see how that goes! We're still unsure if this be a 7 a side tournament or a full 11 v 11. Any comments or ideas are very much welcomed!

Confirmed:
Cork City
Limerick 37
Cobh Ramblers

Proposed:
Waterford United

If any other EL fans want to participate in this tournament please send me a PM

Bluebeard
08/11/2007, 7:46 AM
Sounds like a good idea - propose it on btid.net (http://www.btid.net), and I'll sticky it.

Probably best keeping it 5 or 7-a-side for the time being as at least one of the teams will have a good distance to travel, probably two or three. If it takes off then it can be increased in size.

What are you thinking of date and location-wise?

RĂ©iteoir
08/11/2007, 8:56 AM
We've had a couple up in Dublin over the past few years - normally organised by the now defunct "Pride of Dalymount".

The last one was won by St Pats - and all moneys went to one of the children's hospitals in the city iirc.

Teams involved there were Bohs, St Pats, Shels and Dublin City (a few weeks before the senior side imploded)

charliesboots
08/11/2007, 9:09 AM
A few of us have talked about organising an annual five a side for all interested eircom league club fans with the wws memorial trophy for the winners.

The club have (had when asked) no problem in principle to using Richmond Park for it or McDowells for festivities.

It's just a matter of us getting up off out arses and organising because I'm sure there will be a big interest.

gufct
08/11/2007, 9:41 AM
Im sure we would get a team together in united .make it a saturday lads from say 12 on to the wee hours.

John83
08/11/2007, 11:41 AM
UCD and Longford have often played a friendly 5,6 or 7-a-side, but we're not the competitive types. I doubt either set of fans would be up for a league.

Dodge
08/11/2007, 11:56 AM
A few of us have talked about organising an annual five a side for all interested eircom league club fans with the wws memorial trophy for the winners.

The club have (had when asked) no problem in principle to using Richmond Park for it or McDowells for festivities.

It's just a matter of us getting up off out arses and organising because I'm sure there will be a big interest.
There was a clash with our proposed dates but hopefully we can do it pretty soon

Maynard
08/11/2007, 12:50 PM
Shels have an AFL side that train and play every week, and barring any fixture clash would generally be willing to take part in any well organised eL footie event. If you put any wheels on it, post here or PM me.

steno
08/11/2007, 3:50 PM
There was a clash with our proposed dates but hopefully we can do it pretty soon

If anyone does set up something midland or dublin based I will try and get a team going on the Kildare County end of things. Reckon we can muster a team together (hopefully:o).

Kildare Lad
08/11/2007, 4:49 PM
Any age requirements?

sligoman
08/11/2007, 6:41 PM
Rovers fans have played both Derry and Galway fans this season and have a 100% record so far:D.

sniffa
08/11/2007, 7:49 PM
Any chance of making it 2 a-side? :o

bohs til i die
08/11/2007, 9:05 PM
We've had a couple up in Dublin over the past few years - normally organised by the now defunct "Pride of Dalymount".

The last one was won by St Pats - and all moneys went to one of the children's hospitals in the city iirc.

Teams involved there were Bohs, St Pats, Shels and Dublin City (a few weeks before the senior side imploded)

They were organised by me and a Pats fan called Deco Cunningham

In 2005 Bohs won, with proceeds going to Crumlin Childrens Hospital
In 2006 Pats won with proceeds going to Drumcondra school for blind children

Red&White Rover
08/11/2007, 9:22 PM
Rovers fans have played both Derry and Galway fans this season and have a 100% record so far:D.

Therefore, we are the best supporters at playing football in the league.

Undisputed.

L37Ultra
08/11/2007, 9:23 PM
Any age requirements?

None what so ever!!

Lim till i die
08/11/2007, 9:57 PM
None what so ever!!

Just to clarify each team should half at least three to five smokers and a half dozen absolute carthorses in the interest of fairness

I'd imagine that Shels AFL team for example would hand us our holes.

Also no ex LoI/Good Junior players. Against our shower they will be found out :)

Kildare Lad
08/11/2007, 10:21 PM
Ha just out of curiosity...what age will most people be? and how good will they be?

L37Ultra
08/11/2007, 10:24 PM
Well for example on the Limerick team we have players from 17-early 30s.(LTID lies about hes age:)) Honestly not good at all. Youth and Soberness will get you far if it ends up going ahead :D

gilberto_eire
08/11/2007, 10:29 PM

Therefore, we are the best supporters at playing football in the league.

Undisputed.

ye might have beat our makeshift team but we kicked lumps out of ye!! :P was only cause we had a terrible keeper... still only a goal in it

Conor H
08/11/2007, 10:40 PM
We'll be taking our trophy back come next season.

That was good crack though-probably more spectators at that game than there was at quite a number of 1st division games this year.

Supporters Competition would be a good idea.Especially around the December period...while it's off season and there's no Club matches.

deco_kh
09/11/2007, 1:01 AM
They were organised by me and a Pats fan called Deco Cunningham

In 2005 Bohs won, with proceeds going to Crumlin Childrens Hospital
In 2006 Pats won with proceeds going to Drumcondra school for blind children

They were both two great days out and for really good causes pity there wasn't one this year, the trophey is still in mc dowells
It's a great idea and even better if raising money for a good cause

Lim till i die
09/11/2007, 9:54 AM
Ha just out of curiosity...what age will most people be?

Middle aged in spirit

and how good will they be?

Awful. We are awful.

LeixlipRed
09/11/2007, 11:29 AM
We'd be able to get a decent enough team together on Shelsweb I'd say. Shels AFL are a proper team and I'm not even sure if most of them are diehard shelsman. Maybe maynard would know

steno
09/11/2007, 12:01 PM
Any chance of making it 2 a-side? :o

well sniffa being that you are from Celbridge and have posted in the Kildare County section of the foot.ie forum you can 'play' with us;)....... if we ever try get a team together

steno
09/11/2007, 12:02 PM
Ha just out of curiosity...what age will most people be? and how good will they be?

don't worry kildarelad i'll sort them out if they hurt ya;)

Raheny Red
09/11/2007, 4:28 PM
We'd be able to get a decent enough team together on Shelsweb I'd say. Shels AFL are a proper team and I'm not even sure if most of them are diehard shelsman. Maybe maynard would know

At least ten of them are at Shels games quite regularly. I'm signed with them but they play Saturday's and I work that day :o. If the AFL side did enter this, they'd walk it!

Red&White Rover
09/11/2007, 10:05 PM
ye might have beat our makeshift team but we kicked lumps out of ye!! :P was only cause we had a terrible keeper... still only a goal in it

excuses...ye kicked lumps of us? I don't remember even breaking into a sweat, let alone being kicked...;)