PDA

View Full Version : Worse Tackle in Champions League.

Pages : [1] 2

NeilMcD
06/11/2007, 8:44 PM
I think I have seen one of the worst tackles ever tonight in the Celtic Benfica game. I hope Brown is ok and recovers for the game in two weeks for Scotland. The Benfica guy should get a decent suspension.

Red&White Rover
06/11/2007, 9:09 PM
Absolutely rank tackle. Could have snapped his leg into two.

NeilMcD
06/11/2007, 9:30 PM
Just looked at Souness tackle against Steau Bucharest for Rangers. That now ranks up there as one of the worst in Europe. Pity Billo did not bring that one up.

DaveyCakes
06/11/2007, 9:32 PM
Worse than what?

Rovers fan
06/11/2007, 9:33 PM
Worse than what?

he clearly meant worst

kingdom hoop
06/11/2007, 10:11 PM
he clearly meant worst

You mean like a German sausage? :p

I'm somewhat surprised I can still muster a laugh after seeing that gruesome assault. Horrifying. And I hate the way they slow motion replays afterwards, I actually turned away. :o To be fair to me I can watch a surgery or something like that alright but for some reason, maybe cos I've been on the receiving end of a few horror tackles, when it's on a football pitch I can hardly bear to watch. I think Brown was actually lucky it was as high as it was because he caught him more in the knee region than on the more susceptible shin district. Get well soon Scott Brown, great player. Binya, you deserve serious reprimand, off with you to Pakistan to look after the rat children. :(

osarusan
07/11/2007, 4:18 AM
can anybody provide a video link?

Ash
07/11/2007, 7:47 AM
Here you go ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6NXeegtvBs

ifk101
07/11/2007, 8:20 AM
He should get a six-month ban for that.

Clear intent to break the chap's leg.

drinkfeckarse
07/11/2007, 8:44 AM
God only knows how his leg didn't snap in two. One intention only in the guys mind and that was to break his leg. Hope he gets 10 games for it.

kingdom hoop
07/11/2007, 8:53 AM
God only knows how his leg didn't snap in two.

I think Brown was actually lucky it was as high as it was because he caught him more in the knee region than on the more susceptible shin district.

Finally someone brings me into a conversation. Don't worry lads I'm a very approachable sort, ask all those questions you've wanted to ask me. :p

anto1208
07/11/2007, 10:24 AM
Horrible one allright ranks up there with Keanes and Gerrards sickening cowardly tackles

BrayUnknowns
07/11/2007, 11:02 AM
Shocking tackle.... just as bad as Bosvelt's on Irwin many moons ago when Man Utd played Fyenoord in the champion league. And the sneaky b@stards substituted him before he could be sent off...

L37Ultra
07/11/2007, 11:52 AM
Ah they kept showing that on Sky Sports last night after the match. Every single time I couldnt watch it!! Horrible tackle, the worst I have ever seen. He should be banned for the rest of the group stages. How he didnt break his leg I will never know!!

Docboy
07/11/2007, 11:53 AM
Brown was lucky in that he didn't have all his studs planted in the turf as if he had his leg would surely have shattered. Sickening to look at and I fully agree that the aggressor deserves a heavy punishment.

Gonna be a top player by the look of him, Brown.

Dricky
07/11/2007, 12:05 PM
You've got to love Scotland assistant manager Roy Aitken comments

Aitken believes it could have ruined the former Hibernian player's career, and insists UEFA must hit Binya with a long-term suspension to show they take such fouls seriously.

"It was a career-threatening tackle," said the former Celtic captain.

"There's no way he went for the ball at all. He went completely over the top of the ball. Scott went for the ball himself.

"He's so lucky and hopefully he's escaped without any major injury."

Aitken is looking for UEFA to impose more than the mandatory one-match suspension.

All fairly normal

He told Sky Sports News: "It's not for me to say what would be a fitting punishment, but [B]if we're going to stamp out that sort of challenge within the game, and if FIFA and UEFA are talking about cleaning the game up completely, that sort of challenge is just totally out of order.

from examiner.ie

anto1208
07/11/2007, 12:09 PM
Ah they kept showing that on Sky Sports last night after the match. Every single time I couldnt watch it!! Horrible tackle, the worst I have ever seen. He should be banned for the rest of the group stages. How he didnt break his leg I will never know!!

he he

:D

mypost
07/11/2007, 12:13 PM
Similiar to Essien's "tackle" on Hamann 2 years ago. :mad:

L37Ultra
07/11/2007, 12:13 PM
he he

:D

Ha ha very funny. I obviously watched it the first time during the match :D

Lim till i die
07/11/2007, 12:18 PM
Gonna be a top player by the look of him, Brown.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Awful tackle aside, Brown is rubbish

Dricky
07/11/2007, 12:23 PM
It's up there with Keane's, Brown was lucky.

Binya will always have a career should he wish to switch to rugby, he'd be great for raking the ball out with minimum damage

see's it
07/11/2007, 2:31 PM
it was a dreadful tackle but not the worst ive seen that goes to John Wayne Bobbit

osarusan
07/11/2007, 2:50 PM
'It's just a flesh wound".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno

Awful tackle by the Benfica player, but this may be the worst ever -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuRvoe3G0PU

or this one-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RrPn8HBc-4

eirebhoy
07/11/2007, 2:51 PM
:eek: :eek:

Jaysus, I worry about you. ;) Seriously though, I don't know anyone in the world that would call Scott Brown "rubbish".

NeilMcD
07/11/2007, 3:23 PM
Yeah he is a good player, but he needs to improve his left foot. Great engine and great passion and good speed and ball control.

superfrank
07/11/2007, 3:25 PM
Pretty horrible tackle. He should get a long ban for it and a hefty fine. How about a new kind of punishment? If Scott Brown is injured, your man should pay his medical fees.

Still not as bad as Keane on Haaland all those years ago.

John83
07/11/2007, 3:55 PM
...may be the worst ever ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RrPn8HBc-4
Eh, I don't think Phil Babb's tackle is appropriate for discussion here. It's probably banned from tottywatch even. ;)

Torn-Ado
07/11/2007, 4:50 PM
Binya was dirty all night and the ref should have yellow carded him earlier on for his constant fouling.

kingdom hoop
07/11/2007, 5:57 PM

:confused: You're either avin a laugh or you're off your bleedin barnet mate! By any chance are you letting your anti-Celtic heart rule your more astute brain on this one? I'd be pretty confident in saying Brown will be a top-class player over the next ten years. Evidence Scotland's victory away to France with Brown in the team versus their defeat to Georgia in his absence as a subtle indicator that he drives a team with his, in my view blatantly apparent, energy, skill and determination.

Lim till i die
07/11/2007, 6:15 PM
Jaysus, I worry about you.

Don't worry about me eirebhoy, I'm fine honest. I suggest you save some worry for that poor Ireland lad.

Seriously though, I don't know anyone in the world that would call Scott Brown "rubbish"

Me. I did. Right up there. Last post on first page.

Great engine and great passion .

Runs around way, way too quickly making stupid decisions

good speed and ball control

Now this fellas having a laugh

You're either avin a laugh or you're off your bleedin barnet mate!

Nope. Deadly serious. The lad is as limited as the day is long

By any chance are you letting your anti-Celtic heart

Even if I was anti-Celtic (No more than dozens of other clubs) he's only in the jaysus door for godsake.

Celtic have had oodles of players I admired down through.

I would never let dislike of a club cloud my judgement of a player.

Works both ways though........

I'd be pretty confident in saying Brown will be a top-class player over the next ten years.

And I would bet you all the tea in China he will never make it in any meaningful way beyond the Old Firm

in my view blatantly apparent, energy, skill and determination.

The epitomie of the quick, brainless footballer.

Anyway while all the Celtic fans are hanging on my every word I'd also like to say that McGeady is a mediocrity, Nakamura will never make it at a higher level and overall it's one of the poorest Celtic sides in years

kingdom hoop
07/11/2007, 6:28 PM

Funny, isn't that what they say about you on here. :p

Fair enough if you think he makes stupid decisions, I feel though that he is a pretty intelligent player and that the bit of headlessness he has will be coached out of him over the next couple of years, he's only 22 at the moment. Even now though I think given his attributes that he would be an invaluable member, like he is for Celtic and Scotland, in the majority of teams.

Lim till i die
07/11/2007, 6:41 PM
Funny, isn't that what they say about you on here.

I don't know?? Who's they??

Also, much like Scott Brown I'd imagine, I don't care what people say on foot :)

Fair enough if you think he makes stupid decisions

Nope, that would be fact.

I feel though that he is a pretty intelligent player

You "feel" he's "pretty" intelligent?? Already we're starting to see a bit of a climbdown from the Brownites :)

and that the bit of headlessness he has will be coached out of him over the next couple of years

By Gordon fcukin Stratchan?!?!?!

he's only 22 at the moment.

What age is Rooney??
Or Ronaldo??
Or Messi??
Or Fabregas??
Or at least 100 more talented youngsters I could name off the top of my head FFS

Even now though I think given his attributes that he would be an invaluable member, like he is for Celtic and Scotland, in the majority of teams

OK, say for arguments sake replace Celtic with Milan and replace Scotland with Spain........no dice

Seriously, bring as much tea as you can muster to that foot.ie meet-up. I'll bring as much tea as I can muster. We will leave our respective loads of tea with a neutral party and in ten years time hen Scott is still pi$$ing about higher reaches of SPL/Lower reaches of Premiership I can go collect all our teas and be declared winner :)

kingdom hoop
07/11/2007, 7:04 PM
Seriously, bring as much tea as you can muster to that foot.ie meet-up. I'll bring as much tea as I can muster. We will leave our respective loads of tea with a neutral party and in ten years time hen Scott is still pi$$ing about higher reaches of SPL/Lower reaches of Premiership I can go collect all our teas and be declared winner :)

:D I like it! I reckon he definitely has the potential to be a very good Premiership player, we'll c.

*I'm not 'giving up' I'm just hungry so need to cook dinner. :o

feo123
07/11/2007, 10:05 PM
its the exact same as keanes on haaland

sadloserkid
07/11/2007, 10:09 PM
its the exact same as keanes on haaland

By which you mean appalling?

Edit: While I have much sympathy for Scott Brown at this moment in time I tend towards LTID's view. Scott Brown is a handy SPL player and little more than that in my (admitedly rather limited) exposure to him. He could be the new Sean Maloney for sure.

eirebhoy
07/11/2007, 10:12 PM
Lim till i die - You don't have a clue about the guy, I'm sorry. It was the "speed and control" thing that confirmed that. Anyone that has seen a fair bit will know that one of his main strengths is running with the ball from midfield and his good speed and control is pretty obvious.

For a 22 year old he's a very sensible chap. His energy is unbelievable, he hassles the opposition as much as anyone and is regularly getting booked. He has been sent off once in his career. That says it all. He knows exactly his limits.

Now this fellas having a laugh
This one isn't even up for debate. Brown certainly does have "good speed and ball control".

And I would bet you all the tea in China he will never make it in any meaningful way beyond the Old Firm
What's your limits? Make the criteria and I'll put a serious bet down if you want.

The epitomie of the quick, brainless footballer.

No, no, no. Thomas Gravesen is all energy brainless footballer. Brown is very, very intelligent.

By Gordon fcukin Stratchan?!?!?!
Well I can't really argue this with you because you don't like McGeady either but just look at the changes in McGeady's game to see Strachan's strengths. He's a fantastic coach. Robbie Keane reckons he's the best manager he worked under. He's not a world class manager but in terms of coaching he knows exactly what he's doing.

Or at least 100 more talented youngsters I could name off the top of my head FFS
I could name 1000 players more talented than Gattuso too.

Anyway, get back to me about this bet.

btw - While you're incredibly biased against Celtic this is purely about ability to judge a player. I think Celtic's defenders are absolutely rubbish. I'm not so biased that I can't see that. I don't think I let bias cloud my judgement. The reason I'm bringing up this talk of bias is because of your mention of Naka and McGeady.

kingdom hoop
07/11/2007, 10:41 PM
Lim til I die, I don't see much point continuing when you feel the need to shift the goalposts and compare a 'rubbish' player to the most exceptional young talents in the game, and give Milan and Spain as examples of the majority of the teams this rubbish player wouldn't be an important member of. Sorry but it just seems a bit silly to me. :(

Soko
08/11/2007, 2:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysERzTLufiY

Have some of that

drinkfeckarse
08/11/2007, 7:55 AM
Yeah he is a good player, but he needs to improve his left foot. Great engine and great passion and good speed and ball control.

Very true. His left foot needs a lot of work but he's hardly the only player to be totally one footed. Can never understand it myself though.

Hibs4Ever
08/11/2007, 8:07 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Brown is a CLASS player. IMO he's the best midfielder in Scotland

Won't be long til he's in the Premiership.

monutdfc
08/11/2007, 8:16 AM
OMG that New Zealand one was horrible.
Anyone see Graeme Souness for Rangers against some Eastern European team in about 1989? Horror tackle, totally premeditated.

Dodge
08/11/2007, 8:21 AM
No, no, no. Thomas Gravesen is all energy brainless footballer. Brown is very, very intelligent.

Gravesen, at peak, would be at least 5/6 times the player Brown will eve rbe, and he was far from brainless. Everton and Denmark used him perfectly. Real madrid didn't. He gave up after that.

monutdfc
08/11/2007, 8:42 AM
Real Madrid though Graveson is bald and looks mean therefore he must be a holding midfielder! Rumour has it they bought the wrong baldie in Everton's midfield.

John83
08/11/2007, 9:10 AM
Real Madrid though Graveson is bald and looks mean therefore he must be a holding midfielder! Rumour has it they bought the wrong baldie in Everton's midfield.
Not so much a rumour as a joke. One originally made by David Moyes. Quite a long time ago.

eirebhoy
08/11/2007, 10:16 AM
Gravesen, at peak, would be at least 5/6 times the player Brown will eve rbe, and he was far from brainless. Everton and Denmark used him perfectly. Real madrid didn't. He gave up after that.
I don't agree. Bobo Balde at his peak was seriously a real class act. He's still one of the most brainless players in the business though. He just had Johan Mjallby to lead him. Gravesen is tactically inept and if he had the fantastic football brain would no doubt have been world class (he's some passer!).

Very true. His left foot needs a lot of work but he's hardly the only player to be totally one footed. Can never understand it myself though.
He's actually had some really good shots with his left foot. He's definitely not one footed.

monutdfc
08/11/2007, 10:18 AM
Not so much a rumour as a joke. One originally made by David Moyes. Quite a long time ago.
Thanks for that, I really thought it was true

Plastic Paddy
08/11/2007, 11:49 AM

Jesus Dodge, you were obviously on the pipe very early this morning! ;)

WGS has gone on record stating that he punted Gravesen as he just could not (or would not) adhere to the manager's tactics or team shape. He didn't quite go as far as to say that TG was a headless chicken but he may well have done.

As for TG in the Everton side in his previous spell there? Let's not forget that Lee Carsley was there to cover for him whenever he decided to go AWOL. Jarosik was the wrong type of player to do that for him at Celtic and Lennon, frankly, just didn't have the turn of speed to fill the holes left by TG whenever the opposition counter-attacked last season.

Scott Brown OTOH has a far greater team awareness and ability to read the game than TG ever had to go along with the boundless energy that he possesses. Give it five years - no, two - and you'll surely see Brown as five or six times the player TG ever was. Unless you actually meant five-sixths the player when posting above, in which case I'm still going to question your judgement although not quite to the same degree!

:ball: PP

Dodge
08/11/2007, 11:54 AM
I've already said Gravesen was awful at Cletic. No question there. But IMo he was probably the best midfielder in England the year before he went to madrid, and believe me I said it at the time. One of the most underrated players in a long, long time. Who I'll say again was rubbish in the SPL.

I think Brown's a fine player, but he's nowhere near the level Gravesen was 3/4 years ago and IMO won't be. Good luck to the lad though, I've nothing against him and he seems a decent bloke.

eirebhoy
08/11/2007, 11:57 AM
In terms of technical ability/passing Gravesen is in another league to Brown. If Strachan got his hands on Gravesen at an early age I think he'd have made him into a really superb player. Intelligence is everything to Strachan.

biscuit
08/11/2007, 12:07 PM
there was a scanned newspaper pic doing the rounds a while back of gareth gorman doing a 2 footed lunge into pascal vadequin when he was with derry (vadequin) gorman was with harps. it ended pascals season and looked attrocious.both feet knee high with vadequins feet planted.