PDA

View Full Version : Eurolines Bus Eireann buses

Risteard
06/11/2007, 3:51 PM
Anyone ever gone to Engerland or somewhere in one of these?
They're dirt cheap but I'd imagine very uncomfortable.
A pole who comes into work went to Krakow from the bus station in town and said it was alright but then again he lives in a little apartment with a dozen or so others packed in like sardines.

So are long-haul bus journeys actually "not that bad"?

Green Tribe
06/11/2007, 4:07 PM
Anyone ever gone to Engerland or somewhere in one of these?
They're dirt cheap but I'd imagine very uncomfortable.
A pole who comes into work went to Krakow from the bus station in town and said it was alright but then again he lives in a little apartment with a dozen or so others packed in like sardines.

went eurolines bus London-Krakow just before the cheap airlines hit that region. roughly about £70 return compared to a flight which would have been £200+
Tough going i tell you. Few poles i sat next to on way there were helpful(at borders etc) and a good laugh, despite the fact i nearly got stranded at a german petrol station at midnight (my own fault!)
I wouldn't do it now cos of ryanair, easyjet, wizz air etc, think it was about a day and a half to get there. Very uncomfortable, can't imagine what it would be like for a tall person. Any stops you make you really need to get out and have a good stretch.
have done the megabus and eurolines from glasgow to london, not so pleasant either.

Raheny Red
06/11/2007, 7:47 PM
Is there any jacks on these buses?

Green Tribe
06/11/2007, 8:57 PM
Is there any jacks on these buses?

yeah, there was london to krakow for sure, maybe not on all theshorter routes, but i would say they would have to.

kingdom hoop
06/11/2007, 11:50 PM

I would tend to say they aren't too bad and from 'knowing' you I'd say you'll be alright. You know what you're getting yourself in for so prepare for it, and there's no point getting cranky half way through saying it's taking ages, just sit back, the seats should be reasonably comfortable, and let the driver do the work. A few words of wisdom;

Sit about half way down, in the window seat unless you're 6'3 plus, and on the margin side. Ideally you'd like to sleep for the majority of it. To do this I find getting drunk and staying out late (or not sleeping at all of course) the night before helps an awful lot. Also, if you could get your hands on some valium it would be a nice bonus. Comfort is crucial so investing in one of those inflatable travel cushions (only $7 on Amazon) is a good idea to keep your head from bobbing around the place. You like to be cozy when sleeping so you might like to think about bringing something that can function as a blanket, whether you need this or not will depend on the driver's air temperature preference - very rarely will it be all that warm as they need to stay awake so it's probably best to bring something.

Other titbits would be to have a few forms of entertainment - iPod, book, newspaper, magazine etc, variety is good as you might get tired of one thing, better to have options. Also, a few little snacks, say energy bars or fruit, should be packed as you really want to avoid the crankiness hunger generates as that will make the journey seem interminable. Lastly, be positive about the journey, if you embark with the attitude that it'll be terrible and long then that's how it will turn out, just relax, enjoy your music, sleep and look forward to what lies in store on the other side. :)

*Wow, just read over that now, I should make a great mother some day. :D

noby
07/11/2007, 7:55 AM
I've been to London, a good few years ago. Not too bad entirely. It's broken up a bit with the ferry, so Cork (I assume) to Rosslare isn't excessive, then you've a three hour break from the bus. I think we took a decent break for breakfast somewhere on the far side.

Just follow KH's advice and you'll be grand.

grounded
07/11/2007, 8:37 AM
Dublin - London shouldnt be a problem as you spend time on the ferry too. Did Dublin - Berlin once and it took almost 2 days. Was great as we went via Amsterdam and had about 5 hours layover. Wouldnt do it again mind you as I have gotten used to the comforts of flying ;)

kingdom hoop
07/11/2007, 8:45 AM
Wouldnt do it again mind you as I have gotten used to the comforts of flying ;)

Might I say somewhat ironically given your username!

**** Risteard sorry, I'd forgotten about the ferry part of it when I was posting. I thought we'd built a bridge to Wales but maybe not. That should really break up the journey for you. Anyway, just follow Noby's advice and you'll be fine. :p

noby
07/11/2007, 9:06 AM
Anyway, just follow Noby's advice and you'll be fine. :p

That would be my advice to follow your advice?

paul_oshea
07/11/2007, 9:20 AM
Might I say somewhat ironically given your username!

**** Risteard sorry, I'd forgotten about the ferry part of it when I was posting. I thought we'd built a bridge to Wales but maybe not. That should really break up the journey for you. Anyway, just follow Noby's advice and you'll be fine. :p

See then some of your points become dispensable, as once you get off the ferry you would find it hard to sleep again until you hit the next ferry, but yet you would probably be tired and cranky, so point here is don't go out the night before and get extremely drunk unless you keep drinking on the boat then you will be fine.

If going from dublin there is now a motorway all the way from holyhead pretty much. So you hit london in no time ( well in a car ), and i assume there isnt that many stops along the way, as the brummie bus stops off instead.

TBH though I would look to do foot passenger get the bus from there and then look here: http://www.stpancras.com/

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41454000/jpg/_41454004_st_pancras_416.jpg

Damn i couldn't find the picture....but basically you can get to berlin in absoloutely no time now from london, well no more than 8 hours anyhow and it would be much more exciting way to travel. you can rest and take a lot more in in the train, though I am pretty sure the price may be a factor!

shedite
07/11/2007, 9:50 AM
I've done a few long distance bus journeys around Europe and Asia. In Europe I found the overnight busses great. With a train, a 6 hour journey would have poeple walking through the carriage all night, and then arrive at 4am in some city, wheras a bus would be quieter and get you there at 8am. Cheaper too usually. In China I once was on a fully recliner bus. Very comfortable way of travelling.

Once cheap way to UK is this "sailrail" thing from USIT. I've never taken it but it looks cheap.

endabob1
07/11/2007, 11:53 AM
From memory there is normally 2 stops on the way from Holyhead down to London, it's not that bad as the Ferry takes up 3 hours of the journey but given that thanks to the nice Mr O'Leary you can fly for under £20 I fail to see the attraction!!

Risteard
08/11/2007, 1:23 AM
Cheers KH and the rest of ye. The attraction as opposed to Ryanair is the bus window.
I think it'd be good to reach a few European cities.
I might give it a go for Paris or Germany and get a match or two in.
Lastly, be positive about the journey, if you embark with the attitude that it'll be terrible and long then that's how it will turn out, :)

True of anything I suppose.
Gratias.

kingdom hoop
08/11/2007, 1:39 AM
True of anything I suppose.

Certainly. As the ad used to say, PMA.

The bus is definitely a more of an adventure, proper travelling. I must say I love windows as well! Especially great if you've a like-minded person alongside you to mull over how the cows are bigger/girls uglier at home etc, if you're going it alone it might be an idea to bring a little notepad to jot down the odd thought you have, well, that's what I'd do anyway. :o

Enjoy.

paul_oshea
08/11/2007, 9:10 AM
Lastly, be positive about the journey, if you embark with the attitude that it'll be terrible and long then that's how it will turn out,

Nah, completely wrong, when you go off and do something off the cuff, or think you are going to have a crap time, you will generally have a brilliant time. Ye know the way where you say you will do something or go somewhere and then you are like "feck why did i say i would" kinda thing, those times are always the best. Simple logic to it, think the worst, then it can only get better.

kingdom hoop
09/11/2007, 12:55 PM
Eh Paul, how can you say I'm completely wrong and then make a point about something different to disprove it? Sense it don't make.

Your point about spontaneity, while true (I really cherish random little happenings myself), it has nothing to do with going on a pre-planned journey, which was the initial frame of reference. So you're the one who's completely wrong. :p

About low expectations, I can't see how your, ahem :), hypothesis is relevant here. In the odd context you might be right but I don't see why I should try to show that when you had the temerity to say I was completely wrong on something! Feel free to broach away, but remember the wise words of CS Lewis when so doing;

The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. :)

paul_oshea
09/11/2007, 12:59 PM
Eh Paul, how can you say I'm completely wrong and then make a point about something different to disprove it? Sense it don't make.

Your point about spontaneity, while true (I really cherish random little happenings myself), it has nothing to do with going on a pre-planned journey, which was the initial frame of reference. So you're the one who's completely wrong.

About low expectations, I can't see how your, ahem :), hypothesis is relevant here. In the odd context you might be right but I don't see why I should try to show that when you had the temerity to say I was completely wrong on something! Feel free to broach away, but remember the wise words of CS Lewis when so doing;

The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. :)

Nah, i wasn't just on about spontaneity, just giving an example. I meant in general when you say you will do something for example ( again ) and then later on you think "why did i say i would" when you dont really want to do something it always ends up being really good. The same logic applies here, if he tells himself its going to be crap and to expect little from the adventure, then it can only get better? geddit? :p

DId you not notice the use of the term "or" above to give reference to an if or else clause?

Green Tribe
09/11/2007, 1:37 PM
Get a room yous two! :p

kingdom hoop
09/11/2007, 1:42 PM
God lord Paul are you, self-proclaimed most logical person around and all, really telling me that if Risteard takes the attitude to his journey that it'll be **** then he'll enjoy it more? Weird, in that it's not a point of view I'd share at all. To be honest, I'll whisper it in your ear so no one hears, it sounds like loser talk to me, but anyway...

I get the 'expect nothing and the only way is up' notion but frankly it is far too simple for a man like me with such an incredibly intuitive understanding of the human race, and given your grandiose claims I'd expect more from you too. :D

Opening the can of worms, what will Risteard do if things turn out to be ****, as he had prepared himself for? Will he not be stuck in rut, gasping and wheezing for want of some positive energy? If he is positive, in my opinion at least, he'll be able to take a broader perspective, allow his wonderful outlook on life to carry him through the seemingly never ending journey.

Brains are very much open to manipulation, fascinatingly so in fact ( one of my favourite tricks that I sometimes tell clients with crap lives :p is to remember something as better than it was and eventually as time goes by you'll only have positive thoughts about what was a terrible night out etc). Brains will be confused, receiving mixed signals, if you didn't have high expectations but things happen to go well, such that you ultimately won't be brought as 'high' as would have been the case if you'd gone in with a positive frame of mind.

GT, will you bring the camera, I want to capture Paul submitting to me on hard copy. Cheers

paul_oshea
09/11/2007, 1:50 PM
Opening the can of worms, what will Risteard do if things turn out to be ****, as he had prepared himself for? Will he not be stuck in rut, gasping and wheezing for want of some positive energy? If he is positive, in my opinion at least, he'll be able to take a broader perspective, allow his wonderful outlook on life to carry him through the seemingly never ending journey.

Ok, we are going off topic, but just to the point here. If it is schesser then nothing lost nothing gained as he had set himself up for this. :) Whereas its all good if its not.

Either way Risteard, enjoy it and let us know how it goes!!!

Green Tribe
09/11/2007, 1:51 PM
GT, will you bring the camera, I want to capture Paul submitting to me. Cheers

:eek::eek::D

kingdom hoop
09/11/2007, 2:09 PM
Ok, we are going off topic, but just to the point here. If it is schesser then nothing lost nothing gained as he had set himself up for this. :) Whereas its all good if its not.

Either way Risteard, enjoy it and let us know how it goes!!!

Risteard hates this kinda rubbish so we should really delete our posts or else he mightn't enjoy his holiday. Anyway you started this off-topic mullarkey so I'll finish it. :D

It seems you can't see, or choose to ignore, my point, which is fine either way as this is so inherently personal. So I'll just, eh succintly throw out my view, if you've negative/neutral expectations and they are founded you're not in as good a place as you'd be if you were positive because if you're positive you can get over anything. If you've a negative frame of mind and things turn out great then you won't reach the same heights as if you eagerly looked forward to the great event that has had us rambling on for a few posts here. Alcohol is pretty illustrative in all this I find. Ok done agus dusted, now it is submission time. :D

jebus
11/11/2007, 10:48 AM
I did the bus to London from Limerick when I was 17, had a great time, but mind you I had to get very horrible drunk to do so. Oh and I passed out in the bus toliets, wouldn't recommend doing that to be honest.

An ex of mine was coming back from Amsterdam on bus and when they got near the Belgian border the driver stopped at McDonalds for a break and told the bus to get rid of any drugs they might have as they always get checked. Cue a load of people running for the jacks in MacDs. Poor ex ate a ****eload of weed because she didn't want to just chuck it all, went back on the bus, and ended up having to listen to some **** who claimed he was ex-IRA harping on to her and two German girls about the Troubles. :D They never got checked at the border either :D:D

bennocelt
11/11/2007, 8:33 PM
I used to take the eurolines from dublin to london years ago, when it was very cheap
Found it a terrible ordeal - awful seats, very hard to sleep, too many roundabouts in wales, and feeling like the living dead when arrive

Now i take ryanair:)