PDA

View Full Version : Squad vs Wales

Pages : [1] 2

bwagner
06/11/2007, 9:45 AM
Does anyone know when?
And is Givens picking the b team squad also ???

Green Tribe
06/11/2007, 10:19 AM
supposed to be this afternoon

Sligo Hornet
06/11/2007, 10:38 AM
Wonder if Clark Kent will be in the list?

tetsujin1979
06/11/2007, 10:44 AM
3pm according to fai.ie

eirebhoy
06/11/2007, 11:53 AM
3pm according to fai.ie
I think 3pm is the time of kickoff for the Welsh match. It should be interesting to see who he calls up. There were debuts for a few players the last time Givens took charge of the senior team.

RogerMilla
06/11/2007, 11:56 AM
will be interested to see if ireland is called up and if he accepts the call.... perhaps steven reid might be released by blackburn to aid his match fitness...

ifk101
06/11/2007, 1:34 PM
Republic of Ireland Squad
Euro 2008 v Wales,
Saturday, November 17 (3pm)
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Goalkeepers
Shay Given - Newcastle United
Joe Murphy - Scunthorpe United
Colin Doyle - Birmingham City

Defenders
Steve Finnan - Liverpool
Stephen Kelly - Birmingham City
Richard Dunne - Manchester City
Paul McShane - Sunderland
Andy O’Brien - Bolton Wanderers
Joey O’Brien - Bolton Wanderers
John O’Shea - Manchester United

Midfielders
Aiden McGeady - Glasgow Celtic
Lee Carsley - Everton
Jonathon Douglas - Leeds United
Steven Reid - Blackburn Rovers
Andy Reid - Charlton Athletic
Liam Miller - Sunderland
Stephen Hunt - Reading
Kevin Kilbane - Wigan Athletic

Strikers
Robbie Keane - Tottenham Hotspur
Daryl Murphy - Sunderland
Anthony Stokes - Sunderland
Kevin Doyle - Reading

Taken from fai.ie

Sligo Hornet
06/11/2007, 1:41 PM
Euro 2008 v Wales,

Goalkeepers

Defenders
Steve Finnan - Liverpool

Midfielders
Lee Carsley - Everton
Liam Miller - Sunderland
Stephen Hunt - Reading

Strikers
Kevin Doyle - Reading

Taken from fai.ie

No "Superman" then!:confused:

Dr. Ogba
06/11/2007, 1:41 PM
Euro 2008 v Wales,

Goalkeepers

Defenders
Steve Finnan - Liverpool

Midfielders
Lee Carsley - Everton
Liam Miller - Sunderland
Stephen Hunt - Reading

Strikers
Kevin Doyle - Reading

Taken from fai.ie

Jaysus where to begin.....

Steven Reid - hasn't played in god knows how long
Stokes - :eek: Does missing open goals in the prem entitle you to a call up these days??
Douglas - :eek: :eek: why????
Would have liked to see Alan Lee given a shot.

Plus points:
At least Colgan's finished...Murphy has been deserving of that call up for a long time.
And....Eh.......that's about it really....

NeilMcD
06/11/2007, 1:43 PM
Good to see Stephen Reid back but its terrible that Ireland is not in the squad, he should be really turning up, no excuses at this moment in time in my view and I have tried to defend him a bit but he should be there. No suprises, Jesus Givens has already named a better squad than Staunton managed to do. Cant really complain about any of it. Oh if we think we need a big man well then Daryl Murphy appears to be the only one who could play that role for this game out of the squad.

eirebhoy
06/11/2007, 1:45 PM
In:
Joe Murphy
Andy O’Brien
Steven Reid
Anthony Stokes

Out:
Nick Colgan
Stephen Carr
Alan O'Brien
Darren Potter
Stephen Elliott
Andy Keogh
Shane Long

RiffRaff
06/11/2007, 1:46 PM
Dont suppose David Connolly was holding his breath for a call up from Givens!!!

Would like to have seen Ireland, Lee, Kenny and maybe Yeates included. Just the same as Stans selections really in that it represents Givens favourites rather than our strongest squad, but it will be for only one match.

Sligo Hornet
06/11/2007, 1:49 PM
Dont suppose David Connolly was holding his breath for a call up from Givens!!!

Shame he wasn't!;)

NeilMcD
06/11/2007, 1:54 PM
In:
Joe Murphy
Andy O’Brien
Steven Reid
Anthony Stokes

Out:
Nick Colgan
Stephen Carr
Alan O'Brien
Darren Potter
Stephen Elliott
Andy Keogh
Shane Long

Shane Long is suspended so that rules him out and Carr has retired so that rules him out.

So yeah

Keogh and Alan O Brien and Colgan and Potter are the ones really dropped from the squad.
Not sure Douglas should be there ahead of Potter.

NeilMcD
06/11/2007, 1:58 PM
Gibson is injured as far as I know and Ireland is not playing for us due to tight underpants which makes his hair grow in strange ways, and thats not the prison near his house either.

RogerMilla
06/11/2007, 1:58 PM
maybe ireland has asked not be called up?? i cant understand it otherwise...

Sligo Hornet
06/11/2007, 2:01 PM
Isn't Paddy Kenny injured at present?

Drumcondra 69er
06/11/2007, 2:05 PM
Paddy Kenny's carrying a knock hence his exclusion, dpending on his fitness and the fitness of Given he may get called. Douglas is playing great stuff for Leeds albeit in League One, has international experience and is worth his place as a destroyer in Carsley's absence. It's been obvious that Givens (an arse of a man it must be said) doesn't like Garvan considering how long it took him to call him into the Under 21's so not surprised there.

It's only one game and not indicative of anything that may happen in the future when the new manager's in place so wouldn't be worried about any ommisions, clean slate for the WC qualifiers.

And fcuk Stephen Ireland if he doesn't want to play, what is it about some Corkonians attitude when it comes to representing their country, people's republic me hole.

billybunter
06/11/2007, 2:08 PM
stephen ireland will be off saving Planet Zog that night, so was unavailable for selection.

RiffRaff
06/11/2007, 2:16 PM
Am i right in saying that Givens never picked Ireland for the u-21's?

BradyIsMyHero
06/11/2007, 2:41 PM
Good to see Given picking Anthony Stokes after their recent spat - that said, Stokes still has a long way to go to international standard

tetsujin1979
06/11/2007, 2:48 PM
Am i right in saying that Givens never picked Ireland for the u-21's?
Yes, but that was due to Ireland's self imposed exile from the Irish international scene at all levels while Kerr was still involved with the FAI.

Givens explained his absence from the squad on Sky Sports:

Stephen made the decision not to play for Ireland until he's sorted. "Maybe he needs a little bit of time to get his head right and the future manager may be able to get that sorted out.
"I'm in charge for this one game and I felt it wasn't right to include Stephen in the squad because there has been no contact from him."
"The future (Republic) manager can look at it differently - by then things may have changed.
"But I can't really comment on what might happen in the future."

BradyIsMyHero
06/11/2007, 2:51 PM
What does Given mean when he says "getting his head right"?

Could he not just shave it, and pretend he's Zidane

NeilMcD
06/11/2007, 2:54 PM
To get the right hair do, takes time. He is not superman FFS.:)

NeilMcD
06/11/2007, 2:56 PM
Reid returns to Ireland squad

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Steven Reid, Anthony Stokes and Andy O'Brien are all selected in the Republic of Ireland squad to play Wales in the final Euro 2008 qualifier in Cardiff on Saturday week.

Blackburn midfielder Reid returns after a 14-month spell on the sidelines with back and knee problems having last played for Ireland in the opening qualifier away to Germany over year ago.

"I am delighted that Steven is back to full fitness after his injury problems and it will be a big boost for us to have him in the squad," said Ireland's caretaker manager Don Givens.

Blackburn, though, may be less than pleased to have their player thrown into the mix so soon after returning from what was a nightmare spell on the treatment table.

Reid has only played a handful of games in the recent weeks.

He played a couple of behind closed door friendlies before negotiating 55 minutes of a reserve team game last week. Tonight he is due to face Manchester City's reserve team at Eastlands.

Speaking last week, Blackburn manager Mark Hughes said under no circumstances would Reid be rushed into playing.

"We are arranging games for him and he is improving his fitness every day, he's getting closer and closer," said Hughes.

"After waiting so long we are not prepared to rush him, although the temptation is there. It has been a long road for Steven and it will take as long as it takes."

Bolton defender O'Brien has not been involved since missing the home game against the Czech Republic last October through injury.

He was, however, a late call up as cover for the recent home qualifiers with Germany and Cyprus but withdrew before joining the squad with a kidney complaint.

"Andy has benefited from getting regular football at Bolton and that too will be a help," said Givens.

Goalkeeper Shay Given is included in the 22-man squad although he is nursing a groin problem and is still rated as an injury concern.

Veteran Nick Colgan is dropped as third choice goalkeeper and is replaced by Scunthorpe United's Joe Murphy who earned a senior cap against Turkey three years ago. Colin Doyle keeps his place.

Sunderland striker Anthony Stokes, who briefly fell out with under-21 boss Givens for missing a recent friendly game at that level, is elevated to senior ranks and will travel to Cardiff.

Both he and Givens will then link up with the under-21 squad for the European qualifier against Bulgaria in Athlone this day fortnight.

Former manager Steve Staunton turned to Liam Miller as late cover for last month's double-header but the Sunderland midfielder is in from the start under Givens.

But there is no room in the squad for Manchester City's Stephen Ireland who continues his exile from the squad. Wolves' Andy Keogh is also dropped while Reading striker Shane Long is suspended.

"We want to finish the campaign on a high note by taking three points and finishing third behind Germany and the Czech Republic so there is plenty for us to play for in Cardiff," added Givens.

Rep of Ireland: Given (Newcastle), J Murphy (Scunthorpe), C Doyle (Birmingham); Finnan (Liverpool), Kelly (Birmingham), Dunne (Man City), McShane (Sunderland), A O'Brien (Bolton), J O'Brien (Bolton), O'Shea (Man Utd); McGeady (Celtic), Carsley (Everton), Douglas (Leeds), S Reid (Blackburn), A Reid (Charlton), Miller (Sunderland), Hunt (Reading), Kilbane (Wigan); Keane (Tottenham), D Murphy (Sunderland), Stokes (Sunderland), K Doyle (Reading).
© 2007 ireland.com

cheifo
06/11/2007, 3:34 PM
Bit of a blow for Andy Keogh.Will Givens put him in the u21 squad now?

Paulie
06/11/2007, 3:45 PM
The Stephen Ireland situation is now getting beyond a joke. I have a lot of sympathy for people who have problems with their mental health, if that is indeed the issue here, but this is ridiculous. When playing for his club in away fixtures he has to be just as far if not even further away from his family. If Man City get drawn away to Cardiff City in a cup competition he'd play without a bother.

Traps Cat
06/11/2007, 4:30 PM
In:
Joe Murphy
Andy O’Brien
Steven Reid
Anthony Stokes

Out:
Nick Colgan
Stephen Carr
Alan O'Brien
Darren Potter
Stephen Elliott
Andy Keogh
Shane Long

Good to see Joe Murphy in the Squad - has been in superb of late - probably should be our third choice behind Given and Paddy Kenny.

shakermaker1982
06/11/2007, 4:35 PM
I didn't expect to see Ireland called up to be fair. He won't be back till next year, by then we'll have a new manager and hopefully all is forgotten. Given's at least realises Alan O'Brien hasn't done anything to warrant a call up.

Traps Cat
06/11/2007, 4:41 PM
I didn't expect to see Ireland called up to be fair. He won't be back till next year, by then we'll have a new manager and hopefully all is forgotten. Given's at least realises Alan O'Brien hasn't done anything to warrant a call up.

He did attemp to break the land speed record when he came on in stuttgart - however he did not have the ball at his feet at the time.

shaneker
06/11/2007, 5:15 PM
I wouldn't have called Stephen Ireland up, I could forgive the miscarriage incident but Toupégate is a step too far, if you can't take a ribbing in exchange for playing for your country you need to seriously grow up. I'd rather have a player of less quality and more guts. I want an apology before he has the PRIVILEGE of playing for his country again.

pete
06/11/2007, 5:42 PM
In:
Joe Murphy
Andy O’Brien
Steven Reid
Anthony Stokes

Out:
Nick Colgan
Stephen Carr
Alan O'Brien
Darren Potter
Stephen Elliott
Andy Keogh
Shane Long

Bizarre that Stokes (has potential but not Championship quality) & Reid (returning from injury) are in the squad.

I hate to say it but Given is correct on most of the omissions. :eek:

Paddy Garcia
06/11/2007, 6:39 PM
Would like to have seen Ireland, Lee, Kenny and maybe Yeates included. Just the same as Stans selections really in that it represents Givens favourites rather than our strongest squad, but it will be for only one match.

Yeah, good call.

Though I suspect that there may be some decorum about an interim manager picking brand new caps, Yeates seems to be on fitre at the moment.

jmurphyc
06/11/2007, 8:33 PM
I have a few minor gripes with the squad which other people have already mentioned but overall it's a decent squad and has been picked much better than any of Staunton's squads.

A few people have mentioned that Alan Lee should have been included but I was reading an article a few days in which he said that he doesn't want to be considered unless he starts. If that's the case then I don't feel he's really worth it.

NeilMcD
06/11/2007, 8:34 PM
Jesus if he did say that he is some piece of work.

backstothewall
06/11/2007, 9:10 PM
Its a well balanced squad. As much as we can ask. It is unlikely Givens was going to rock the boat.

There is no point making any rash changes for 1 match. England did that and ended up with a sunglasses model as captain for half a decade!

Qwerty
06/11/2007, 10:43 PM
Jaysus where to begin.....

Steven Reid - hasn't played in god knows how long
Stokes - :eek: Does missing open goals in the prem entitle you to a call up these days??
Douglas - :eek: :eek: why????
Would have liked to see Alan Lee given a shot.

Plus points:
At least Colgan's finished...Murphy has been deserving of that call up for a long time.
And....Eh.......that's about it really....

It was just last week that Alan Lee said he thinks not being involved with Ireland has improved his club career and he made a point about saying he wasn't interested in bench warming for Ireland.

Ddin't Steven Reid get inhured playing for Ireland?? If so it's pretty galling for Blackburn to call him up before he has even played a first team game, he won't be released to Ireland.

Stuttgart88
07/11/2007, 8:23 AM
Fair enough squad. Murphy in for Colgan is a good call. I'd like to see Mark Yeates called up. If he's not scoring he's getting assists all over the place.

In other positions I think there's always a tough balance between optimising our U21s and filling places in the senior squad. Only Stokes has been called up from the U21s which I think is right.

fergalr
07/11/2007, 12:20 PM
Bit of a blow for Andy Keogh.Will Givens put him in the u21 squad now?
Agreed. Of the current new crop he is one that is a great prospect.

jbyrne
07/11/2007, 3:01 PM
Shane Long is suspended so that rules him out and Carr has retired so that rules him out.

So yeah

Keogh and Alan O Brien and Colgan and Potter are the ones really dropped from the squad.
Not sure Douglas should be there ahead of Potter.

think keogh is injured and going for a minor operation

paddywhack
07/11/2007, 9:56 PM
i would like to know why you find it bizarre that he called up stokes?..at leased he wants to play for Ireland, more than you can say about your fellow county man Stephen Ireland...and the other fella, what was his name ROY KEANE!

jbyrne
08/11/2007, 7:56 AM
i would like to know why you find it bizarre that he called up stokes?..at leased he wants to play for Ireland

thats actually debatable. didnt he have a no-show for an u21 game recently and didnt even bother to ring in sick?

Dr. Ogba
08/11/2007, 8:24 AM
i would like to know why you find it bizarre that he called up stokes?..at leased he wants to play for Ireland, more than you can say about your fellow county man Stephen Ireland...and the other fella, what was his name ROY KEANE!

I know plenty of people who want to play for Ireland (and wouldn't be too sure if Stokes is one of them!)....doesn't mean they deserve a call-up. What has he done to merit being called up? And why do you have to bring Keane's name into a completely unrelated issue???? Jaysus some people need to wake up and realise that Saipan was 5 years ago and get over it....:rolleyes:

tetsujin1979
08/11/2007, 9:22 AM
thats actually debatable. didnt he have a no-show for an u21 game recently and didnt even bother to ring in sick?
He didn't ring to let them know, but he didn't think he needed to, he thought that Sunderland would have contacted the FAI and let them know he wasn't available. It was all sorted at the time.

Wolfie
08/11/2007, 1:05 PM
Joey O’Brien and Steven Reid withdraw from Ireland’s squad for match in Wales

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 08 November 2007 Section: International

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bolton Wanderers’ Joey O’Brien and Blackburn Rovers’ Steven Reid were today withdrawn from the Republic of Ireland squad to play Wales in their final UEFA Championship qualifying match at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, on Saturday September 17.

Don Givens, who is caretaker manager for the match, called up Darren Potter of Wolverhampton Wanderers to bring the strength of the squad to 21 players.

The withdrawal of O’Brien and Reid came as no surprise. O’Brien has been struggling lately to overcome a hamstring injury while Reid is easing back into competition after battling against two serious injuries over the past twelve months.

Givens discussed Reid’s current fitness level with the Blackburn medical staff this week. The player last played for Ireland when they lost 0-1 to Germany in Cologne in September 2006 and is on the verge of returning to first team football with Blackburn.

Reid spoke yesterday of the encouragement he had received from being named in the Ireland squad. He had been kept out of competitive football by back and cruciate ligament injuries and played a full 90 minutes for Blackburn reserves on Tuesday as he stepped up his return to fitness.

O’Brien, who is still eligible for U21 football, was also sidelined by injury for much of last season at Bolton Wanderers. He was an ever present with Bolton this season until injury again interrupted his run.

pete
08/11/2007, 1:47 PM
Givens discussed Reid’s current fitness level with the Blackburn medical staff this week.

Bizarrely he did not think to discuss fitness with them BEFORE naming his squad. :rolleyes:

antrimgreen
09/11/2007, 7:35 AM
To get the right hair do, takes time. He is not superman FFS.:)

QUality Post Neil :D

twoenz
12/11/2007, 8:06 PM
Where'd you hear that Stephen Carr's retired again?

eirebhoy
13/11/2007, 6:10 PM
Dunne, O'Brien and Kelly all injured. O'Dea and Bruce called up.

geysir
13/11/2007, 7:34 PM
Is there some doubt about McShane also?
When we got to any Finals (remember them) it would take a broken bone to keep anybody out of the squad, players would be lying through their teeth about their fitness levels to get on board.