PDA

View Full Version : Tony going nowhere

corbyeire
05/11/2007, 1:05 PM
http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/fixtures-and-results/manager-looking-forward-to-next-season.html

feo123
05/11/2007, 1:11 PM
what do ye think of him now as the season finishes?

Mr A
05/11/2007, 1:23 PM
I didn't think there was any prizemoney in the bottom half of the table?

corbyeire
05/11/2007, 1:40 PM
i dont know would like to see them go all out attack against UCD and see if they pass like theyre able to for 90mins

cousins has been very defensive all season and the players very panicky

he just cant do the same season all over again - i have my doubts - but then who will come in - and do better???

feo123
05/11/2007, 2:18 PM
mcdonnell?

Claret Murph
05/11/2007, 2:29 PM
I didn't think there was any prizemoney in the bottom half of the table?

Now I think I am right in saying that for 8th is 7500 Euro , and I know something for 9th is what I was told on Friday .

Conor H
05/11/2007, 2:33 PM
Now I think I am right in saying that for 8th is 7500 Euro , and I know something for 9th is what I was told on Friday .

I heard the same figure's myself.

E7500 to play for on Friday night,which banishes the notion that it's a meaningless game.

Mr A
05/11/2007, 2:42 PM
Just checked there- 7.5k for 8th, 6k for 9th, nothing below that.

Tir Oilean
05/11/2007, 3:11 PM
€7.5k is plenty to play for and I'm pretty sure Nick Leeson would be pushing to get as much into the coffers as he can in preparation for next season.

pixiehead
05/11/2007, 7:34 PM
Just checked there- 7.5k for 8th, 6k for 9th, nothing below that.

Im sure i heard about a Bottle of Whiskey and a Box of Cadburys Roses being thrown in Somewhere :D:D:D

pixiehead
05/11/2007, 7:36 PM
I Think Tony will learn from this year. after all, all we hoped for was to stay up. I just hope we get the right players in and send the bad ones packing. Its a learing process

exiled_gufc_fan
05/11/2007, 9:27 PM
Not just 7.5k but the club's best finish since 1993/94 season also!

And a helping shover for UCD into the playoffs (sorry Keith if you are reading :D )

gilberto_eire
05/11/2007, 9:50 PM
I Think Tony will learn from this year. after all, all we hoped for was to stay up. I just hope we get the right players in and send the bad ones packing. Its a learing process

anyone will learn but theres only so much you can learn, not everyone can be good at a particular thing..... like the way i see it is, no matter who we brought in this year the play has been the same, hitting long aimless balls down the pitch for the majority of the game..... if thats the way he's going to send his teams out he's not going to get very far...not hard to tell someone thump the ball down the pitch...its what happens in junior football because ye dont go ver anything in particular!!

also if ppl think that because he's talking about next season in an interview it means he's staying they would be wise to remember the season isnt over and while still in contract he has to assume he will be here!

feo123
05/11/2007, 9:55 PM
out of interest, who's yere top earner in the squad?

gilberto_eire
05/11/2007, 10:00 PM
out of interest, who's yere top earner in the squad?

id guess reggie.... he was quickly given a 2 year deal after the first few games.... it would have to be someone on a two year deal im guessing, makes sense doesnt it?.... so fitzy,reggie, glynn and there was one other on two years!!

JC_GUFC
06/11/2007, 10:17 AM
We played pretty well down in Waterford, all of our chances came from good passes and build up. There's no use asking Wes Charles to pass the ball through midfield, he's always been a hoofer.

With the likes of Russell and Slab in midfield and Derek on the wing we should be well able to continue with this style of football next season.

Sumac
06/11/2007, 11:06 AM
Would also hope that the benefits of full-time training should kick in next year, particularly for the younger players. Hopefully Russell is put on a sensible weights programme in pre-season to build up his strength. Nice player but too easily pushed off the ball.
Would let Murph go as he cannot even last 90 mins - And thats despite the fact that he isn't covering that much ground anyway.
2 most impressive players this year were Derek O Brien who is our most dangerous player, and Alan Keane who was sorely missed when injured.
Most disappointing was Murph who started the season well but did not look fit enough as the season wore on.
Best goal for me was Cookies at Terryland - wonderful finish

corbyeire
06/11/2007, 3:27 PM
best goal has to be derek glynn 1st at pats, followed by his second!

galwayhoop
06/11/2007, 11:59 PM
anyone will learn but theres only so much you can learn, not everyone can be good at a particular thing..... like the way i see it is, no matter who we brought in this year the play has been the same, hitting long aimless balls down the pitch for the majority of the game..... if thats the way he's going to send his teams out he's not going to get very far...not hard to tell someone thump the ball down the pitch...its what happens in junior football because ye dont go ver anything in particular!!

spot on gilberto

looping
08/11/2007, 8:18 AM
also if ppl think that because he's talking about next season in an interview it means he's staying they would be wise to remember the season isnt over and while still in contract he has to assume he will be here![/QUOTE]

is tony still under contract with united for next year?

Trainee
08/11/2007, 2:40 PM
lads tony looks likes he is staying and I for one belive that is good news

The isusse of him not living in galway does not bother me but people on hear have a problem with it, but if we sack tony we have to pay him off, if we were go and try get the likes of Fennlon(who wound cost more than tony) and do think he would move to galway,thus same problen just a different manager, which would leave us with less money to sign players for next season

We have the bones of a decent squad and with some more new players we should be able have a decent season and hopfully finish 5th or 6th (and a good cup run)

part time players to full players, it takes time to see the benifits, look at drogs it took them 4 years

galwayhoop
08/11/2007, 3:39 PM
part time players to full players, it takes time to see the benifits,
:(
not this again pleeeeeeeeeease

look at drogs it took them 4 years

like comparing apples and pears in all fairness.

drogs splashed the cash big style to win the league

gufct
08/11/2007, 4:00 PM
You dont need to splash the cash in a crazy fashion like Drogheda did but if you try to build year on year bringing in better quality players each time you can make the top 3 or 4.

If the FAI enforce the wage cap and come down hard on Teams who dont meet their licencing requirements it will create a far mor level playing field with 6/7 teams challenging for top honours.

The year Drogheda beat us in the Playoff they were about to go belly up but thanks to a certain pairing of Cork Officials and some wealthy developers they changed things right around but are carrying a debt in excess of €3m and if the new stadium doesnt get off the ground they will go to the wall.

GUFC's Strategic plan is based on realistic and sustainable figures rather than on pipedreams so hopefullly we will be aeround to see the longterm gain.

galwayhoop
09/11/2007, 9:28 AM
GUFC's Strategic plan is based on realistic and sustainable figures rather than on pipedreams so hopefullly we will be aeround to see the longterm gain.

and i think everyone fully endorses the clubs off pitch activities. however i don't believe that TC is the man to bring us in the right direction on the pitch. but as you say he is here for next season so we will see then.

are we expecting a raft of new signings and the same old 'time to gel' excuse next season?????

gufct
09/11/2007, 9:34 AM
you will have a far stronger base of players with Premier experience this year so no I wouldnt say so.But this season hasnt even finished and your already having a go at the Manager for next season.

galwayhoop
09/11/2007, 10:58 AM
you will have a far stronger base of players with Premier experience this year so no I wouldnt say so.But this season hasnt even finished and your already having a go at the Manager for next season.

i am asking a question not having a go.

you and others were banging on a couple of weeks ago about not talking about the managers future with 3 games to go, now the season is over and you are giving out about not having a go at him for next season. if we can't mention that we dont rate him now then when can we ffs???

the manager hasn't covered himself in glory this season imo and is fairly lucky that we are where we are with a game to go.

He is also lucky the board, newspapers and maroon tinted spectacle supporters like you seem to back his every move and can't accept others having a view which opposes your 'full faith in TC stance' . if TC took a dump in the centre circle tonight during the warm up you'd probably come on here saying he was right to do it!!!!

corbyeire
09/11/2007, 11:27 AM
if TC took a dump in the centre circle tonight during the warm up you'd probably come on here saying he was right to do it!!!!

:D:D:D

GuisaSaigon
09/11/2007, 11:55 AM
Fertilizing the pitch?:confused: :D

Mr A
09/11/2007, 12:16 PM
Of course it would be several months before we'd see the full benefits of taking a dump in the centre circle. One can't expect miracles.

KoemansCC
09/11/2007, 6:51 PM
I don't think that TC has set the league alight with his management skills over the season, but he was on a steep learning curve as were the team. However the results towards the end of the season (last 10 games) were better so maybe he has improved.

I'd give him the first 6-8 game of next season and see where we are, also I can't think of any replacement at the moment so I'd leave him be for the time being...