PDA

View Full Version : Season review

Angus
03/11/2007, 9:38 PM
Yep I know it is a bit premature but I always try and view a season or somebody's performances outside of pure results. This season could end in 2 cup semis and safety by a few points. It could end up 2 cup semis, a relegation playoff and safety or all of the above and relegation.

It all boils down to next week but next week while it will dictate facts and figures on our season it will not define it. Therefore, I respectfully suggest that we begin the season analysis before we know our final destiny.

Summary:

I view it positively - out of 10 I am looking at 6.5 - 7.5 bearing everything in mind.

Positives:

Remarkable squad development of young talent
Kenna the first half of the season
McNally all season
Sammo's ability to make space and hold the ball up
The emergence of McFaul and Finn (who was absolutely majestic last night)
The emergence of King, Bermingham and Fran.
The potential shown by the under 21's - Deccie, Totsie, Evan, Fran, Timmy
Positive attitude shown by vast majority of players vast majority of time

Negatives

Lack of potency up front
Injuries at key times to McNally, and Paul Byrne, particularly
Inability to replace Paul Byrne as Sammo's strike partner
Last minute suckers in Sligo, Longford, at home to Drogs
Lack of goals in the last month (see Paul Byrne issue)
First signs of Tony not dominating games

Mitigating factors

Key injuries to Byrne, Fitzy, McFaul hit us at disastrous times
Bad luck in cup draws the travel for which definitely took its toll
Down to bare bones in squad terms for some games notwithstanding youth situation above
Podge only in last 2 - 3 games coming back to his best after horrific injury
Doylers injury

Highlights

Win in Drogheda
Kenna's one on one tackle in the league in Richmond Park
Win in Waterford
The cry of "hurry up" in the penalty shoot out in Kildare
Win in derry in the cup and league
Our resilience against better sides in the first 2/3 of the season
The football we played in Tolka and Dalymount

Lowlights

Some of the resilience beginning to fade as guys get tired
The cup semi - battered longford for 60 minutes but couldn't score
Losing in Tolka and Dalymount depsite playing magnificient football - see Paul Byrne issue as above

All in all, I believe the guys deserve to stay up and if they do, we will not be in this position next season. I fancy us to be in the much desired mid table obscurity next year with no relegation issues.

Poor Student
04/11/2007, 7:39 AM
I'm hoping we stay up, and if so, would be tempted to accept this season as transitional, allowing the squad to gel etc. However there's a number of key players who can go for free at the end of the season and I feel it'll be a new team building experience next year. That makes this a disappointing season as it's the best squad of players I've ever seen at the club. That said, the players have played some nice stuff this season and have been unlucky at times and there's been some very good results (Derry away twice, Drogs away) and I commend them for that. Unlike Agnus I believe next week does define the season and I'd wait until then to say much more.

JR_Ewing
04/11/2007, 10:32 AM
don't forget winning everything at college's level :)

pineapple stu
04/11/2007, 3:46 PM
We turned off after the win against Waterford and the draw in Derry. Now, like Jack Charlton letting the lads turn off at 2-0 up against Lithuania in 1993, we're finding it hard to turn back on when we suddenly get dragged back into everything (or face Spain, in Jack's case).

There's 27 possible combinations of results next week, of which two see us into the play offs (we lose, Waterford win in a ground where, Drogheda aside, Rovers have conceded two league goals all season, and Bray win or draw). It still looks like we've done the bare minimum, but there's a lot of room for improvement there next season...

CollegeTillIDie
05/11/2007, 3:15 PM
There's 27 possible combinations of results next week, of which two see us into the play offs (we lose, Waterford win in a ground where, Drogheda aside, Rovers have conceded two league goals all season, and Bray win or draw). It still looks like we've done the bare minimum, but there's a lot of room for improvement there next season...

You think? You were having a go at me for being negative a few weeks ago... back tracking now are we, when I have been proved correct? :rolleyes: