PDA

View Full Version : What's the bets that he doesn't make it?

UCD_4_Life
12/05/2003, 10:55 PM
http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?mainheading=Eircom&id=9748&viewstory=yes

Unless he's John O'Shea special he won't have a hope in hell. He'll end up like Grogan and Baker and get sent home when he's 18 or 19.

Surely he'd be better off developing with Shels and then, if he's good enough, leaving when he's about 21?

The Sheliban
15/05/2003, 12:17 PM
He'll benefit from United's coaching academy, whether he makes it or not. Baker, Grogan, Doherty - all admit to their game benefitting immensely from their time in England, despite not making it.

Blue Muff
15/05/2003, 2:00 PM
JOS will learn a hell of a lot more if he come back and plays two seasons for the Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iorfa
15/05/2003, 2:38 PM
Hehe......I remember being out at the RSC for the Shels match and was talking to Alan O'Shea at half time. He was saying that about 75 people came up to him during the match saying the exact same thing, "they could have done with John tonight eh?" and he had to grin and bear it every time. ..............................(and yes, I said it too alright?) :D

CollegeTillIDie
16/05/2003, 5:52 PM
Well the odds are stacked highly against the lad.

Less than 10% of youngsters who go cross channel get professional contracts and at Man United it is probably even lower. The one thing he has going for him over people who went years before is that he has been given Career Advice by Eoin Hand from the FAI and this appointment has been very beneficial to young players going across.

Some time ago there was a proposal to ban players under 18 going cross channel which is something I would endorse fully.
They would be better off getting at least a Leaving cert under their belts and playing in the Eircom League before going cross channel.

Our League is a very good place to learn to play at a higher level.
Roy Keane would not be half the player he has been but for the FAS course and playing in the First Division with Cobh Ramblers.
It is also very competitive and anyone of 3-4 teams can win the League here unlike the 2 two horse race championships on our neighbouring island, and I don't mean the Welsh League.

Kevin Moran, Curtis Fleming,Paul McGrath , Ronnie Whelan another few who made their debut in League of Ireland before going cross channel.

College TIll I Die