PDA

View Full Version : Rovers 0-1 Cork City

DRDoc
03/11/2007, 1:13 AM
Possible to beat Cork for a third time this season?

Cork will be without Gamble and right back Darragh Ryan. Richardson has also said on local radio red fm that he will not risk either Killian Lordan or Billy Woods as they are one booking away from missing the Cup Final. Cork are already set to be without 2 of their regular back four for the game in the rds in december - Murray and Horgan.

I think Farrelly, Softic and Kelly are also one booking away from missing cup final

Brian OCallaghan is also a doubt - he returned from injury last week against Bohs but only lasted half an hour before having to be taken off again injured

Sligo are at full strength according to their website - no injuries or suspensions - but I would have thought Ventre is suspended??

He got a one game ban for cumulative yellows - so he was due to miss Rovers game for that - but in the game before that he was sent off (v Waterford), so he should have missed the next game vs Rovers anyway for that - so surely he misses Cork?

On a side note as thats not his first red of the season he is looking at another game suspended once the Disc Com sit again isnt he?

Red4Eva
03/11/2007, 1:18 AM
hughes is gone and boyd might be dropped

DRDoc
03/11/2007, 2:15 AM
Hughes is gone

any elaboration on that?

Boyd may be dropped

but he hasnt started the last two games??

cmak-88
03/11/2007, 3:41 AM
hughes is def gone and also heard 3 under 21 players are in the squad for the game(not startin 11)

red arrow
03/11/2007, 11:37 AM
hughsie is gone thats for deffo has played his last game for rovers.according to the champion money was not the total issue here. well i can tell you all from talking to him there were a number of other issues that influenced his decision to move. the quality of the playing surface was a constant thorn in his side. he spoke on the players behalf several times (being captain) about the pitch. several times they requested it to be rolled with a heavy roller and this never happened. he said that he was a professional footballer and as such was here to do his job to the best of his ability (but the tools supplierd are poor ie pitch). evnr the players cant understand how an income flow cannot be generated from the showgrounds with all the residual space.

He also said that several trust members had spoken to him over the last few months about the ground and to restructure the club but as he said nothing has happened yet. also he was very upset about his wife getting abused and this was the final straw that broke the camels back. it wasnt all about money. everyone must remember here that the hughes have now forever a link with sligo through the birth of their daughter and for some idiot to go and abuse his wife was a disgrace. so yee can now blame that f...... for ultimately changing adms hughes mind because at that stage he had signed nothing for any other club. by the way there are moves in place to find out exactly who that person was and be sure he will be banned for life.

Getting back to the business side of things it is imperative that the message about the poor quality of the pitch be brought out in the open because we are going to loose more players than we gain cause of it. look at finn harps pitch last night how the f........ can we not do the same. it was in pristine condition. somebody has to be held accountable. players like to play on good surfaces good players win games on good surfaces. we have good players we have a poor pitch. its time now that this was seriously looked at

Da Real Rover
03/11/2007, 1:23 PM
To be honest Hughes was going whether his wife got abused or not. But dont get me wrong who ever did that is still an absolute w@nker.

Rovers fan
03/11/2007, 3:44 PM
im just hoping for a decent crowd and a decent performance. prediction: 1-1

MervilleUnited
03/11/2007, 6:59 PM
With regard to the pitch, believe it or not, heard there is a guy in Kevinsfort who runs a company which got the contract to replace the Wembley Surface (remember the FA Cup final, it badly cut up, and became a major issue, GC was called in as consulatant). Just wondering could the supporters club raise even the money to consult this man, and ask how it could be done;)

sligoman
03/11/2007, 10:34 PM
Absolutely gutted with the result. Thought we were better in both halves and extremely unlucky not to have scored some of the chances we had. Can't really single anyone out for praise as they all played really well. If only we played with that much determination throughout the whole season:(. Meaningless game for us but still hurts to lose after a good performance like that, robbed.

Rovers fan
03/11/2007, 11:38 PM
very good performance we just couldn't put the ball in the net. Meredith and arcaba were fairly shaky! Who got man of the match?

clubman
04/11/2007, 7:32 AM
With regard to the pitch, believe it or not, heard there is a guy in Kevinsfort who runs a company which got the contract to replace the Wembley Surface (remember the FA Cup final, it badly cut up, and became a major issue, GC was called in as consulatant). Just wondering could the supporters club raise even the money to consult this man, and ask how it could be done;)

All very true!!
I know for a fact that this man's services were offered FREE to the club but the offer was rejected.
Earlier this season a fully qualifed groundsman was employed by the board and the lad left after a couple of weeks totally dejected as he wasn't allowed carry out his duties.
Wembley Stadium it's not and won't be as long as a certain individual is involved with the Showgrounds.
The state of the surface is worsening by the day. It's a huge worry for all concerned, that is all that is concerned with football.

Rant over!!

clubman
04/11/2007, 7:43 AM
very good performance we just couldn't put the ball in the net. Meredith and arcaba were fairly shaky! Who got man of the match?

Brian Cash was man of the match.
Both players mentioned are quite simply not up to it.
Bitterly disappointed last night. We should have been three up prior to half time. Faz is my player of the season by a mile but he'd not score last night if it were handed to him on a silver platter. Just that kind of night for him :(

As for Matthew Judge :eek:
This guy is beyond a joke!!
Hasn't put in a respectible performance since he signed his new contract. He's a very dishonest player with no balls!! Needs a serious talking to and I think it's time Gerry Carr was let at him! There's absolutely loads of ability in the lad - he's proven it time and time again - but he just doesn't have the interest and quite simply is of no use to us when he's like this.
I'd put him out for offers.

I believe Sean Connor was at the game last night. At least the Cork win will not have pleased him either for different reasons and boy does that cheer me up :rolleyes:

Da Real Rover
04/11/2007, 10:31 AM
We played great, the lads really gave it their full effort and had full commitment. It was sad to see us losing the game, we fully deserved the win, but fair play to the lads.

brianw82
04/11/2007, 11:48 AM
First post here. Hello to everyone.

We played ok last night. Against a worse team, we probably would've got a draw. To be honest, we had no match for Healy in the middle of the park. He controlled the game. Cork were stroking it around very easily at times. Cook seems to be about quick, smash'n'grab football. It's worked a charm for most of the season, but its shortcomings where apparant last night.
This is something we need to rectifiy for next season - a strong midfielder with vision is needed to dominate midfield like Healy did last night. Hughsie gave us this to an extent. I don't think Gary Curran is up to the job unless there's a serious improvement in his play (may come with time, though), and although I like O'Grady as much as anyone, he's not as good as Hughes was, and won't dominate a midfield. He was shocking at Longford in September when Hughes was on the right, I don't even remember him touching the ball.

Meredith has yet to impress me. Sure, he was up against a skillful player in McSweeney, but he wasn't winning headers that should have been bread and butter to him, and he looked out of sorts on a number of occasions. Still, I guess if he had scored at the end we'd be calling him a hero.

Judge again had a shocker, but to be fair, he didn't have much to work with last night.

Tactically, Cook got it wrong last night. It was clear after an hour that the goalie hoofing it up wasn't working, but this wasn't chaged at all. It was like we'd regressed to the Sean Connor days of caveman football. Wasn't helped by some of the players - I think a few of them just want the season to end.

I really don't mean to sound as negative as I'm sure this piece does, but last night convinced me that there's still a lot of work ahead of Paul Cook. He's done a smashing job so far, but the loss of Hughes is a blow, and if Coleman continues to play like he's been doing, it won't be long until some English clubs come in for him.

Redzer
06/11/2007, 12:32 PM
All very true!!
I know for a fact that this man's services were offered FREE to the club but the offer was rejected.
Earlier this season a fully qualifed groundsman was employed by the board and the lad left after a couple of weeks totally dejected as he wasn't allowed carry out his duties.
Wembley Stadium it's not and won't be as long as a certain individual is involved with the Showgrounds.
The state of the surface is worsening by the day. It's a huge worry for all concerned, that is all that is concerned with football.

Rant over!!
I know for a fact the groundsman left for personel reasons. But the pitch is and has been a shambles for ages. The person above has had 3 men there all summer "extending the pitch". On Sat night it looked as if we had a few dozen hens in scratching it. It's a f*u*c*king disgrace.
It has probably cost the club what a professional would cost, and at the end of the day we have nothing to show.
The sad part is that things will not improve while this man is there.
He is also, I understand the architect behind the shed end calamity.

Red4Eva
06/11/2007, 12:37 PM
gallagher out!

sligoman
06/11/2007, 2:38 PM
If it's the board member mentioned above then I've heard various things about him now. It does seem as if he's holding the club back and doing more harm than good.

Red Army
06/11/2007, 5:14 PM
gallagher out!
Second that... and totally agree with sligomans comments too

clubman
06/11/2007, 7:13 PM
[quote=Redzer;808026]I know for a fact the groundsman left for personel reasons. But the pitch is and has been a shambles for ages. quote]

The lad was only in the job a few weeks. He was delighted with his appointment as Showgrounds groundsman. He had terrific plans for the pitch. Anyone who spoke with him was very impressed. Yet in a matter of weeks he's gone 'for personel reasons' - yea, right ;)

'But the pitch is and has been a shambles for ages'

The real truth of the matter is that there has never been a pitch in the Showgrounds. The venue was used for the Sligo Horticultural Show back in the sixties and earlier. This included horse jumping, dog racing etc. Rovers through the very forward thinking of a group of supporters bought the Showgrounds from the owners but never got the work done which is needed to convert a field into a proper football playing surface. Anyone that knows the work which was carried out on McSharry Park in order to create a proper playing surface will know what's needed in the Showgrounds.

The man in question has without doubt done a wonderful job for Rovers over the past forty odd years. It's something that has to be recognised by everyone involved, be that a supporter or a member of the Sligo Rovers Co-Op. But and yes there's a but. Time has moved on, footballers of today's era expect to have a surface which they can display their skills. Not as is the case in the Showgrounds where the players are terrified of not knowing how the ball is going to bounce or where the next bobble will happen. Players have to have first and foremost total confidence in the playing surface before they can have total confidence in their own ability. Unfortunately for that very reason good players will always resemble average players in the Showgrounds.
People, including the man in question, will have to recognise the huge importance of a good playing surface in order for the club to progress. It's all very well looking for grants for new lights, stands, hospitality suits, shops, dressingrooms, school of excellence etc but Sligo Rovers is a football club and if we don't have a proper surface to play the beautiful game then we may as well take up supporting rugby because after all lets face it it's all the Showgrounds pitch is suitable for.

Sniffer
06/11/2007, 7:20 PM
Lads, Ross McLoughlin came during this game; is this the same fella that was on Newry City's books for a while?

roversforever
06/11/2007, 7:46 PM
Lads, Ross McLoughlin came during this game;

jesus he must have been very excited at making his debut!!!:D

Sniffer
06/11/2007, 7:51 PM
:D, Will I edit it? Nah.

Rory H
06/11/2007, 8:05 PM
Wouldn't normally attack anyone on the forum but it seems everyone at the club looks at this these days. It's good to get it in the public domain about Gallagher, with the AGM coming up.

Red&White Rover
06/11/2007, 8:59 PM
Wouldn't normally attack anyone on the forum but it seems everyone at the club looks at this these days. It's good to get it in the public domain about Gallagher, with the AGM coming up.

Lifetime Ban from the Showgrounds for you, Mr H.:)

feo123
06/11/2007, 9:13 PM
has a date been set for the AGM?

gallagher should have left years ago btw, along with michael leydon!

interestingly, i was behind ollie davey the other night going in the gates, he had to pay full price, not so important anymore is he!! :D

and no, ross mcgloughlin was never on the books of newry. he came from a local side called merville united. played for our 21's this season.

Darco Ooragnak
06/11/2007, 9:21 PM
Highlights (http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?p=808422#post808422)

sligored
07/11/2007, 9:15 AM
Correct me if i am wrong but did both sligo and cork fans set off flares last saturday night at the game - if so they are morons - they call themselves real fans - then pay 15 euro in and then get the club hit with fines of over 100 euro up to 500 euro.

sligoman
07/11/2007, 10:07 AM
Cork fans let off 4 flares, Rovers fans let off none.

sligored
07/11/2007, 1:25 PM
i would have being sitting quite close to the match observer and 2 smoke flares were set off at the front of the home fans singing area at the end of the match - i dont know how the observer would have known who set them off so we will probably bet fined for them. the match observer sits at the rear of the main stand

sligoman
07/11/2007, 1:39 PM
i would have being sitting quite close to the match observer and 2 smoke flares were set off at the front of the home fans singing area at the end of the match - i dont know how the observer would have known who set them off so we will probably bet fined for them. the match observer sits at the rear of the main standRovers fans set off two smoke bombs(not flares) with the permission of the FAI. Nobody will be getting fined for them.

Sniffer
07/11/2007, 1:46 PM
has a date been set for the AGM?

gallagher should have left years ago btw, along with michael leydon!

interestingly, i was behind ollie davey the other night going in the gates, he had to pay full price, not so important anymore is he!! :D

and no, ross mcgloughlin was never on the books of newry. he came from a local side called merville united. played for our 21's this season.

Cheers.

Rovers fan
07/11/2007, 3:50 PM
Rovers fans set off two smoke bombs(not flares) with the permission of the FAI. Nobody will be getting fined for them.

Ya they were controlled smoke bombs. Thought it was a good idea as it was game the last game of the season. Was it the lads with the tifo flags(sean south i think?) who let them off?

feo123
07/11/2007, 5:41 PM
Ya they were controlled flares. Thought it was a good idea as it was game the last game of the season. Was it the lads with the tifo flags(sean south i think?) who let them off?

nearly ended my glorious life! went down to the wall only to be greeted with a big mad blast of smoke. good craic. nearly chocked :)

SligoBrewer
07/11/2007, 5:46 PM
nearly ended my glorious life! went down to the wall only to be greeted with a big mad blast of smoke. good craic. nearly chocked :)

they were a really good idea imo, pity bout the colours but they added to the atmosphere anyways.

Could we see this every game next season maybe?

Rovers fan
07/11/2007, 8:24 PM
they were a really good idea imo, pity bout the colours but they added to the atmosphere anyways.

ya i thought it would be a good idea to do the same in bray seen as we will be in festive mood and all(fancy dress!).

sligoman
10/11/2007, 7:41 PM
is this the same fella that was on Newry City's books for a while?He's actually Harry McLoughlin's[Rovers legend] nephew.

Rovers1
13/11/2007, 4:37 PM

go for it Brewer!

SligoBrewer
13/11/2007, 8:26 PM
go for it Brewer!

hmmmm.. we'll see