PDA

View Full Version : How bad is Mick McCarthy??

colster
12/05/2003, 4:40 PM
He's got the worst record of any manager beginning a reign at a club. He's lost 9 in a row?
The game against Arsenal was embarrassing. Arsenal looked like they were playing a testimonial or practice game.
Admittedly Sunderland have been bad all season but Big Mick seems to have made them worse if that were possible.

What are the odds on him getting the sack next season?

colster
12/05/2003, 5:10 PM
I guess you're right. We shouldn't judge him until next season but the signs are not too good.
Sunderland against Arsenal looked like they didn't want to be there at all.
They looked a totally demoralised team and the prospects for next season are not looking good.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they slip into the 2nd division.
When you compare the display they put up against Arsenal with that of Sheffield United in the cup I just can't see how McCarthy is going to succeed in getting them promoted next season.

pete
12/05/2003, 5:12 PM
Sunderland were a lame duck when he took over & doubt anybody could have motivated those players to save themselves from relegation so hard to judge McCarthy on this season.

They saeem to have a good few young players that'll do better with a drop down in standard. Premiership is probably too early for Thornton but he could do well with a season in the Nationwide.

fonzi
13/05/2003, 12:41 PM
i dont see them doing mutch next season. they will have to off load a few players and cut wages here and there. and they will not have a strong a squad as at least 6 nationwide clubs.
id say they will finnish mid table.

Macy
13/05/2003, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by pete
Sunderland were a lame duck when he took over & doubt anybody could have motivated those players to save themselves from relegation so hard to judge McCarthy on this season.
Would no way suggest that McCarthy should or was able (or anyone was able at that stage) to keep Sunderland up at that stage, I still think a new manager should've got some kind of response when joining a club - even playing for their place.... Their record since he took over is bad even for them this season...
He'll have to get them a playoff place next season at least, whether he's capable of that is another thing, but I suppose time will tell...

pineapple stu
15/05/2003, 7:58 PM
Don't forget the players didn't care any more. They'd been dire for the previous season and a half - all defeats is bad, but it's a particularly bad team we're talking about!

He'll sell and buy at least 10 players and they'll be up near promotion next season.

max power
16/05/2003, 12:34 PM
how bad is he. his "amazing" book on the world cup is fro sale in Easons for €6.99.

not really a good sign for what people actually think of him, personally i think he has the managerial bearings of a turnip

fonzi
16/05/2003, 4:17 PM
i trhink he models himselfon the old skool type of manager kind of grahame taylor or that type but thosemanagers are on the way out in theese times.

Beavis
07/03/2004, 7:24 PM
It was terrible how he was treated by the irish public in the aftermath of the World Cup.
Always look out to see how Sunderland and our players there are doing.
He had to sell 19 of his players since his joined Sunderland,mostly from the 1st 11.He's scrapped together a makeshift side (mainly free transfers),brought in irish lads and made McAteer captain,a side which now play decent football and have the traditional McCarthy heart,who should at the least make the playoffs and have already achieved much in the fa cup.
Remarks like 'he had the tactical awareness of a turnip' are completely ungrounded given his record as a manager.Did well with Millwall, he then had the task of merging a whole new generation of irish players into the setup to replace the Charlton era which he managed superbly.We were p**s unlucky in 98 and 2000 qualifying,and then he took us through a group that we weren't given a hope in. Now he's turned around a Sunderland side which looked destined to nosedive like Wimbledon,Oldham,Sheff Weds had all done before.
Irish fans were so caught up in the promise of a Roy return,that they chased out a great manager and servant of irish football.

Gary
07/03/2004, 7:38 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
It was terrible how he was treated by the irish public in the aftermath of the World Cup.
He had to sell 19 of his players since his joined Sunderland,mostly from the 1st 11.He's scrapped together a makeshift side (mainly free transfers),brought in irish lads and made McAteer captain,a side which now play decent football and have the traditional McCarthy heart,who should at the least make the playoffs and have already achieved much in the fa cup.
Remarks like 'he had the tactical awareness of a turnip' are completely ungrounded given his record as a manager.Did well with Millwall, he then had the task of merging a whole new generation of irish players into the setup to replace the Charlton era which he managed superbly.We were p**s unlucky in 98 and 2000 qualifying,and then he took us through a group that we weren't given a hope in. Now he's turned around a Sunderland side which looked destined to nosedive like Wimbledon,Oldham,Sheff Weds had all done before.
Irish fans were so caught up in the promise of a Roy return,that they chased out a great manager and servant of irish football.

Great post and I couldnt agree any more even if i tried. In the whole "Roy is God" saga people forgot that Mick took over, not an aging squad, but an aged squad, and managed to bring through alot of players in a very short time, and still managed to get us to the play off, and lose unluckily to Belgium.

He was also a tad unlucky for Euro 2000, and as pointed out above, he masterminded Hollands demise in the WC2002 qualifiers Anyone who says "well we lost a 2-0 lead" can fúck right off. The best teams in the world have lost 2-3 goal leads in the past.

Delighted to see him prove people like Max and Colster and media morons like Dunphy wrong wrong WRONG!

Declan_Michael
07/03/2004, 8:06 PM
Mick is better off without Ireland. As already mentioned he was shown no respect by the vodafone armchair brigade.

Hope Sunderland fans appreciate what they've got.

lopez
07/03/2004, 8:53 PM
Best manager we ever had in my opinion. He achieved less than Jack - first place in group stages (by twelve seconds) or the quarter finals of the World Cup (favourable lots giving us Romania not Germany and then winning our penalty shoot out ) - but he had a younger set of players taking over and was never blessed with the defenders of Jack (although Jack never had the quality of attackers of Mick and Brian).

If you can remember, the post-Jack job was cursed as a 'poison chalice'. Mick survived six years, three qualifiers, three play-offs, one a success. Probably why he's doing so well at Sunderland. I'm not a great fan of English club football, but I'm hoping he's at Cardiff come May as one of the teams' managers.

pineapple stu
08/03/2004, 1:35 PM
The anti-Mick brigade have gone very quiet lately, haven't they?

tiktok
08/03/2004, 2:13 PM
he's not really come up in conversation (apart from wrt Saipan and Keane), has he Stu?

I still think his man management let him down at the WC (and before it with Irwin), I still think we didn't do as well at the WC as we should have, and that he was often found out tactically e.g. Holland away in the qualifiers.
Having said that, definitely a better manager than Charlton was, whatever the stats would have you believe, at least he tried to play football, and he's doing well with Sunderland, fair play to him.

Éanna
08/03/2004, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
very well said. I was never a big fan of his when he was in the ireland job, but he got better as time went on. IMO he just got the job too early, and wasn't experienced enough. He's really beginning to show his worth now, and good luck to him. Seeing as the FA Cup final draw has just been made- I'd love to see Sunderland beat Man Utd in the final and leave them trophyless: just for the look on Keane's face as Mick gets the trophy :)

Declan_Michael
08/03/2004, 3:37 PM
Funny how McCarthy's loyal supporters are coming out the woodward now? Where were you when he was being savaged by the press? Or are you just consigned to the face that Kerr isn't the saviour of Irish football and that Keane isn't coming back?

Nonetheless I'm sure Mick will be heartened to hear messages of good will from the country that treated him with such respect in his final months as manager. :mad:

Éanna
08/03/2004, 3:45 PM
I was never a loyal supporter of his, never had much time for him at all. Regardless of that, I thought he got a very raw deal.

Macy
08/03/2004, 3:50 PM
Proves nothing - any manager that fails to spot the opposition are a man down is wánk, and no revisionist bs is going to change that...

SÓC
08/03/2004, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Proves nothing - any manager that fails to spot the opposition are a man down is wánk, and no revisionist bs is going to change that...

every word of this hurts but I agree with Macy.

WeAreRovers
08/03/2004, 4:15 PM

Yet again our correspondent form the planet Sanity hits the nail on the head. I wanted McCarthy out the day he got the Ireland job. Never was a good manager, never will be.

All of you saluting the Barnsley gimp obviously know sod all about 1st Division football. West Brom and Norwich are going to be promoted on a tiny fraction of the budget that the Yorkshire fool has.

Neil Warnock was quoted before yesterday's game as saying that while Sunderland were trying to get their wage bill down to £17 million Sheff Utd were trying to get their's up to £3 million!

McCarthy has achieved nothing as a manager. Decent 1st Division managers - Gary Megson, Nigel Worthington, Ronnie Moore, Paul Jewell, Neil Warnock, Ian Dowie, Lennie Lawrence, Andy Hessenthaler. The list does NOT include McCarthy.

KOH

PS Did I mention that I hate Mick McCarthy and his moron sidekick Ian "Taff" Evans? The FAI's very own Hoddle and Gorman :D

SÓC
08/03/2004, 4:20 PM
Originally posted by WeAreRovers
Lennie Lawrence

Ohhh, I donno bout Lennie after the Coventry match. He made a right balls of it. Took off the only decent Cardiff player and left Gareth Walley on the pitch.

Declan_Michael
08/03/2004, 4:40 PM
Yet again our correspondent form the planet Sanity hits the nail on the head. I wanted McCarthy out the day he got the Ireland job. Never was a good manager, never will be.

All of you saluting the Barnsley gimp obviously know sod all about 1st Division football. West Brom and Norwich are going to be promoted on a tiny fraction of the budget that the Yorkshire fool has.

Neil Warnock was quoted before yesterday's game as saying that while Sunderland were trying to get their wage bill down to £17 million Sheff Utd were trying to get their's up to £3 million!

McCarthy has achieved nothing as a manager. Decent 1st Division managers - Gary Megson, Nigel Worthington, Ronnie Moore, Paul Jewell, Neil Warnock, Ian Dowie, Lennie Lawrence, Andy Hessenthaler. The list does NOT include McCarthy.

KOH

PS Did I mention that I hate Mick McCarthy and his moron sidekick Ian "Taff" Evans? The FAI's very own Hoddle and Gorman :D

Fail to see what other sides have to do with it. Sunderland's situation was that Reid stayed in the job too long. When he was replaced they chose Howard Wilkinson as his replacement. By now players morale was shot. Sunderland go on that huge losing streak and McCarthy takes over. I'd like to see any manager that includes Ferguson, Wenger who would have saved them from the drop at that stage. Not content with being relegated they off load any player worth money (including Kevin Phillips) as well as non playing staff. A 48,000 capacity stadium is now scrapping attendances of 24,000. It is not common for relegated teams to bounce straight back up the following season. Mick has managed a money spinning fa cup semi final (chairman smiling) and morale booster (fans smiling). Still the potental to reach the playoffs. Sunderland fans are singing his praises.
Won't go into McCarthys reign as Irish manager except that he inherited a ageing side. So he missed Spains's 10 men on the pitch? Ferguson sold Japp Stam didn't see United supporters calling for his head. Our world cup was salvaged after someone tried to rain on the parade. We would have beaten Germany if it wasn't for Oliver Kahn. I'm proud of our performance we are Ireland not Brazil. In the FAI's 80 odd year history McCarthy is still the second most succesful manager. Also captain in our biggest ever match (WC Q/F 1990). He's earned more respect than most boys' in green even if his accent was an excuse for a cheapshot.

pineapple stu
08/03/2004, 8:57 PM
Originally posted by Declan_Michael
So he missed Spain's 10 men on the pitch?

I'd love to know why so much is being made of that. It wasn't like we were on the defensive during extra time - would have been hard to try more to win the game. Just a random, poorly-thought-out excuse to slag him from those who read and believe tabloids too much, in my opinion.

lopez
09/03/2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
I'd love to know why so much is being made of that. It wasn't like we were on the defensive during extra time - would have been hard to try more to win the game. Just a random, poorly-thought-out excuse to slag him from those who read and believe tabloids too much, in my opinion.
I was there that night and can't say I noticed Spain down to ten men. No announcement was made. Anyone else there noticed we were playing against ten? Back in Ireland, did the commentators notice that Spain were down to ten? Did any of Judas's apostles notice that during the game or was it only afterwards that they became so sanctimonious? So what anyway, loads of matches have been won by ten men sides against teams overconfident that they suddenly have an advantage. :rolleyes: I don't think it would have made much difference.

Macy
09/03/2004, 9:44 AM
Originally posted by lopez
Did any of Judas's apostles notice that during the game or was it only afterwards that they became so sanctimonious?
Eh, well I thought it was pretty obvious, and you would think that a manager would be looking for any tatical advantage he could from the situation.

btw I make no bones that I think Keane was less in the wrong than McCarthy in Saipan, but in my case that was just the final straw. IMO he was lucky to still be in the job by that stage.

lopez
09/03/2004, 11:43 AM
Eh, well I thought it was pretty obvious, and you would think that a manager would be looking for any tatical advantage he could from the situation.

btw I make no bones that I think Keane was less in the wrong than McCarthy in Saipan, but in my case that was just the final straw. IMO he was lucky to still be in the job by that stage.
Oh Yeah! With all those top class managers queuing to take the job, it was surprising someone so sh*t got it in the first place. Someone like Bertie Vogts or Fergie, with his marvellous record with his country in a World Cup, would have been far more better. :rolleyes:

tiktok
09/03/2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by lopez
Anyone else there noticed we were playing against ten?

no, but we weren't managing the team. I do think that we went all out in extra time though, and i doubt we would have done much differently had it been noticed.

Plastic Paddy
09/03/2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Declan_Michael
He's earned more respect than most boys' in green even if his accent was an excuse for a cheapshot.

I agree with you Declan. There's still far too much of this **** going on. I hope you're reading this, "WeAreRovers", because I've just read your post above and what you say has really ****ed me off on two fronts:

1. Despite McCarthy's failings, he was the best Irishman for the job at the time. Where he was born and reared has f all to do with it. What exactly do you wish to imply by commenting on it in this context anyway?

2. People like you were quick to criticise McCarthy, but not once did any of you offer an alternative or a solution. Which in my book makes you and your ilk part of the problem.

:mad: PP

(Oh, and btw, your knowledge of NL Division 1 isn't as comprehensive as you'd like to have us believe. FYI, Iain Dowie's been in the division all of five minutes. Hardly a proven manager at that level. Hessenthaler's team have just about bottomed out and if they survive, he'll be lucky. But I digress.)

WeAreRovers
09/03/2004, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
I agree. There's still far too much of this **** going on. I hope you're reading this, "WeAreRovers", because I've just read your post above and what you say has really ****ed me off. Despite McCarthy's failings, he was the best for the job at the time. What his accent sounds like has f all to do with it.

Ah diddums. You poor lad.

Normally I couldn't give a toss about someones accent but McCarthy and his apologists in the British media have been patronising us for far too long.

McCarthy is such a gob****e that he gave an interview to the Observer pre WC2002 in which he castigated Ireland, the Irish people and the Irish media. Obviously under the impression that nobody here reads the Observer. :rolleyes:

Even now the British media think he did a good job with Ireland. Their view being that even qualifying a "minnow" country like Ireland is an achievment in itself. Nonsense, we had a great chance to get to the WC semis but the only person who truly believed was sent home by that Yorkshire fool.

The British media love McCarthy and hate Keane - witness the complete lack of recognition when Pele said Keane would be in his top 5 not to mind his top 125. Not a peep out of the Brit rags.

I'll never stop having a go at McCarthy - it's a free world after all, even if my views annoy the kind of people who'd rather see Jason McAteer play for Ireland than Roy Keane. ;)

KOH

WeAreRovers
09/03/2004, 2:00 PM
Did he beat El Hadji Diouf and Rustu Recbar? How about Hong Moon Bo?

I think he sneaked in just ahead of Mia Hann. :D

Form your own opinions, don't just support or oppose something because you see it in the pages of some rag or other.

Form my own opinions? I'm possibly even more opinionated than you Conor - and that's really saying something. ;)

[B}Anyway, I've read plenty of pieces in the Times praising Keane. Does that change your opinion about him? [/B]

I'm no fan of the Irish Times or Tom Humphries but he's 100% bang on about Saipan/Keane/McCarthy etc. Just as he was about Michelle De Bruin and nobody wanted to listen then either.

KOH

lopez
09/03/2004, 3:36 PM
I think you're the one that needs their nappy changing.

Normally I couldn't give a toss about someones accent but McCarthy and his apologists in the British media have been patronising us for far too long.
Obviously you weren't around in the days of 'Jack Charlton's Republic of Ireland.'

McCarthy is such a gob****e that he gave an interview to the Observer pre WC2002 in which he castigated Ireland, the Irish people and the Irish media. Obviously under the impression that nobody here reads the Observer.
Date of interview please? I can't find it in the Guardian/Observer archive. I'm thinking you're a bullsh*tter as well as a narrow minded eejit. Time to prove me wrong, like footie fan!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/

Even now the British media think he did a good job with Ireland. Their view being that even qualifying a "minnow" country like Ireland is an achievment in itself.
Someone who's done any better?

Nonsense, we had a great chance to get to the WC semis but the only person who truly believed was sent home by that Yorkshire fool.
More like woke up to reality and caused a situation to be sent home. BTW, didn't he threaten to walk the previous day? Oh and why not say what you really feel and follow your hero and call McCarthy an English c*nt?

The British media love McCarthy and hate Keane - witness the complete lack of recognition when Pele said Keane would be in his top 5 not to mind his top 125. Not a peep out of the Brit rags.
Top 5? :D Oh my sides!

I'll never stop having a go at McCarthy - it's a free world after all, even if my views annoy the kind of people who'd rather see Jason McAteer play for Ireland than Roy Keane. ;)
I'd rather have Jamie Oliver in the side and I can't stand that Mockney muppett.

WeAreRovers
09/03/2004, 3:47 PM
Jack Charlton - Don't get me started on him, now there was a 100% bona fide English cnut. I'm old enough to remember long before Jack Charlton started to bore us to tears. His treatment of Liam Brady (probably our greatest ever player) was as bad as McCarthy's treatment of Irwin.

Incidentally Keane never called McCarthy an English cnut (as both parties have acknowledged but don't let that get in the way of your misinformed opinions)

Oh, and the top 5 was Pele's not mine so take it up with him.

KOH

Declan_Michael
09/03/2004, 3:52 PM

McCarthy is such a gob****e that he gave an interview to the Observer pre WC2002 in which he castigated Ireland, the Irish people and the Irish media. Obviously under the impression that nobody here reads the Observer. :rolleyes:

Even now the British media think he did a good job with Ireland. Their view being that even qualifying a "minnow" country like Ireland is an achievment in itself. Nonsense, we had a great chance to get to the WC semis but the only person who truly believed was sent home by that Yorkshire fool.

KOH

Whats all this about the British press? I live in Britain and can tell you when it comes to soccer we get a decent press. Maybe people in the British media criticise Keane because they don't view him with green tinted specticles. Remember the 'I don't do friendlies', the Alfie Haaland tackle, the Porto keeper. Yeah, suppose the British press should have turned a blind eye to all of that. Spare me the 'Brits are out to get the Irish' crap. Keane is making a few quid in little old england. Wasn't he doing an ad for Walkers crisps when Tayto were laying staff off? The people who treat Ireland like a "minnow" country are those that would rather see Roy 'the one man team' Keane on the pitch rather than 11 committed, average players.
The so-called Oirish media acted exactly like the British press when they went after McCarthy. Maybe England might have won the world cup if any of their managers were ever given the chance by the press.
Irish press? You mean the Oirish indo/star/mirror/sun. Yeah, bet most of the reporters are paid in sterling. I think the Irish press consists of Eamon Dunphy's anti McCarthy bile. :rolleyes:

Plastic Paddy
09/03/2004, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
Despite McCarthy's failings, he was the best Irishman for the job at the time. Where he was born and reared has f all to do with it. What exactly do you wish to imply by commenting on it in this context anyway?

Spare me the patronising **** and answer my question: What exactly do you wish to imply to commenting on it in this context anyway? I think Lopez has it right enough. Why don't you just come out and say it?

And as for the rest of your comments, the majority of respondents to your ill-informed bile can't be wrong.

lopez
09/03/2004, 5:03 PM
Jack Charlton - Don't get me started on him, now there was a 100% bona fide English cnut.
Apologies! I should have said 'narrow minded bigot.' Still waiting for this mysterious article.

Tell you what I found in the Observer of April 21 2002, though.

...As Eamonn Dunphy, the scourge of the previous incumbent, observed the day before the match, McCarthy has been allowed to develop in the job because the nation has given him time and space. He started poorly and, as Dunphy says: 'He would have been sacked a long time ago if he were in charge of the England team.' But it is not just the impressive run of results that has made his job safe; it is the calmness he brings to the task. He combines humour and directness (leprechaun meets Tyke?) and gives the media what they want and little more...

Dunphy's very public argument with Charlton about tactics and what he regarded as the Englishman's waste of good players has almost faded out of earshot, but it had a profound effect on the development of Irish football, and was all the more beneficial for that.

As he says, McCarthy's team 'is much more than the sum of its parts', which you could hardly say about some of Big Jack's teams. 'If you break [this team] down to individuals, you would wonder how on earth they were to compete. But they are playing football now. You could put that down to Roy Keane and the team ethic, also the contributions of Staunton and Quinn. Robbie Keane also is obviously very useful. 'They have an advantage in that expectations are lower than elsewhere too. Coming into the England team for instance can be an ordeal [for a young player]. Getting into the Ireland team is not like that.

'The level of expectancy, the media hype is totally different here. Just look at the way Keane and Beckham have been treated, both captains of their country, both playing for the same club side. The Prime Minister here is a football fanatic, a huge Manchester United fan too, but he has not asked questions in the House.

'This Ireland team is like a very good club side. And the very best club sides always punch above their weight, which Ireland have been doing.'

There are other factors contributing to the calm that attends Irish football. There are very few off-field scandals, for instance - which is not to say there are no shenanigans. It is just that the Irish have more a French attitude to what is sometimes erroneously called 'scandal' than an English outlook.

Dunphy, who is writing Roy Keane's biography, regularly meets McCarthy and some of the players at Dublin's classy night-spot, Lillie's, and says this is a side at ease with itself. They just don't get caught up in trouble...

The 'gob****e' McCarthy's interview 'in which he castigated...the Irish media' wasn't complaining about the backstabbing that goes on in the country, was it?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2002/story/0,11224,687842,00.html

Declan_Michael
09/03/2004, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Was that the ad where he dressed up as a leprechaun? As tipping the hat goes, it was right up there with Foster and Allen appearing in leprechaun outfits on Top of the Pops...

Yep think they ran the ad for about a week and then reverted back to Gary Lineker/El Tel and Bobby Robson :D

Beavis
09/03/2004, 6:19 PM
Originally posted by Lopez
Date of interview please? I can't find it in the Guardian/Observer archive. I'm thinking you're a bullsh*tter as well as a narrow minded eejit. Time to prove me wrong, like footie fan!

Yeah, I smell waffle.....Seems rather childish to make things up in order to prove a point

:rolleyes:

lopez
09/03/2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Was that the ad where he dressed up as a leprechaun? As tipping the hat goes, it was right up there with Foster and Allen appearing in leprechaun outfits on Top of the Pops...
My God!!!! Is this true? :mad:

Declan_Michael
27/03/2004, 11:29 AM
In fairness 'Big Jack' was and still is a scrounging tosspot. He had his fingers in so many pies he had to start using his toes. He's an ignorant, self publicising git who took the country for a ride. Good riddance.

Yes, I fully enjoyed that ride. Beating England at Euro '88, being a whisker away from the semi final. Beating Romania in 1990 and getting to the last 8. Beating Italy in 1994. So he had a few advertising deals hardly uncommon for a footballer - at least his ads were in Ireland, unlike K***e's affiliation with Diadora and Walkers.

Declan_Michael
27/03/2004, 12:59 PM
Come on Declan. A three legged dog would have done better with the string of Irish talent at Charlton's disposal. He ruined the creative flair they had in abundance. My point is with a manager who knew how to get the best out of those players we would have done so much better.

Isn't it amazing how people forget the amount of work Roy has done for the Special Olympics and the National Guide Dogs for the Blind down the years without a penny being handed over.

I somehow can't see the grumpy Geordie doing the same....

Charlton turned Irish international football around. Sure, the football wasn't pretty but any supporter following didn't care. We were beating England, Italy - top sides when we had previously failed to qualify for anything. You can't criticise one man for doing commercials when most do anyway. Keane's work at the Special Olympics was nothing unordinary but sections of the press made him out to be a great man, flawed genius, hated by the english media. It was all tired cliches. Brian Kerr, Damien Duff, the Corrs and countless others were there to support the athletes. Seemed like the special Olympics was just a way Keane could butter up the press after embarassing his country.

Declan_Michael
27/03/2004, 1:34 PM
Unfortunately we will never know how great the team under the Charlton era could have been. He certainly never got the best out of them.

In no way did Roy disgrace his country. He stood up for himself while having his character assassinated by, surprise surprise, one of Charlton's lapdogs McCarthy. Nuff said.

Character assassination? You mean standing on the Porto keeper, the Haaland tackle, getting sent off in his first game as Irish captain, the 'I don't do friendlies', meeting with kerr and then saying he isn't coming back. What did McCarthy have to do with any of that? He threw his dummy out the pram because the football's turned up late, went on state television even Ahern tried to intervene. Meanwhile the world had a good laugh at Ireland's expense. Disgrace is an understatement.

Declan_Michael
27/03/2004, 2:03 PM
Talk about selective memory. The man has been the best midfielder of his time in my opinion. As an international carried the lads around him on his back on countless occassions. Most notably when we were down to ten men against the Dutch. The stuff of legend. Then for Man U against Juve in '99. Say no more.

True the man has his flaws. He'll be the first to admit it. By the way the Haaland injury that ended his career is in the other leg...

Not doubting Keane's ability. I had stood on the terraces enough times hoping keane would be playing. I was gutted when he was sent home from the World Cup but it was his own doing. If he hated the set up so much he should have waited until after the WC. He didn't and it disrupted the team and upset eveyone. It just looked like arrogance when he left taking a United jet home, walking his dog, RTE interview, messing kerr about. He's been gone 2 years and still it rumbles on.

Declan_Michael
27/03/2004, 2:59 PM
I'm sure if Roy had his time again he would have maybe bit his tongue re Saipan but that in no way excuses McCarthy, and the other moral cowards who kept their mouths shut such as Quinn, Staunton and Kelly, setting him up in that meeting and accusing him of feigning injury so he could miss out on the away leg in Iran...

I heard that Keane didn't tell the players he wouldn't be travelling to Iran. Hardly a great captain. Quinn, Staunton et al got behind the manager. The minute Keane launched his verbal tirade on McCarthy he was a gonna. What manager is going to keep an employee who tells him to stick it up his ********?

gustavo
27/03/2004, 6:04 PM
ah PHUCKS SAKE LADS!! not another pro /anti keane thread . itll get ye nowhere!

Slash/ED
27/03/2004, 6:38 PM
Apologies! I should have said 'narrow minded bigot.' Still waiting for this mysterious article.

Tell you what I found in the Observer of April 21 2002, though.

...As Eamonn Dunphy, the scourge of the previous incumbent, observed the day before the match, McCarthy has been allowed to develop in the job because the nation has given him time and space. He started poorly and, as Dunphy says: 'He would have been sacked a long time ago if he were in charge of the England team.' But it is not just the impressive run of results that has made his job safe; it is the calmness he brings to the task. He combines humour and directness (leprechaun meets Tyke?) and gives the media what they want and little more...

Dunphy's very public argument with Charlton about tactics and what he regarded as the Englishman's waste of good players has almost faded out of earshot, but it had a profound effect on the development of Irish football, and was all the more beneficial for that.

As he says, McCarthy's team 'is much more than the sum of its parts', which you could hardly say about some of Big Jack's teams. 'If you break [this team] down to individuals, you would wonder how on earth they were to compete. But they are playing football now. You could put that down to Roy Keane and the team ethic, also the contributions of Staunton and Quinn. Robbie Keane also is obviously very useful. 'They have an advantage in that expectations are lower than elsewhere too. Coming into the England team for instance can be an ordeal [for a young player]. Getting into the Ireland team is not like that.

'The level of expectancy, the media hype is totally different here. Just look at the way Keane and Beckham have been treated, both captains of their country, both playing for the same club side. The Prime Minister here is a football fanatic, a huge Manchester United fan too, but he has not asked questions in the House.

'This Ireland team is like a very good club side. And the very best club sides always punch above their weight, which Ireland have been doing.'

There are other factors contributing to the calm that attends Irish football. There are very few off-field scandals, for instance - which is not to say there are no shenanigans. It is just that the Irish have more a French attitude to what is sometimes erroneously called 'scandal' than an English outlook.

Dunphy, who is writing Roy Keane's biography, regularly meets McCarthy and some of the players at Dublin's classy night-spot, Lillie's, and says this is a side at ease with itself. They just don't get caught up in trouble...

The 'gob****e' McCarthy's interview 'in which he castigated...the Irish media' wasn't complaining about the backstabbing that goes on in the country, was it?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2002/story/0,11224,687842,00.html

That kind of article is what really, really ****es me off. Such uninformed drivel, you'd swear we were 10 confrence players + roy keane taking in the world ffs. All of this "**** team, trys hard", "punching above their weight" and "more then the sum of their parts" rubbish really really annoys me.

lopez
27/03/2004, 8:14 PM
That kind of article is what really, really ****es me off. Such uninformed drivel, you'd swear we were 10 confrence players + roy keane taking in the world ffs. All of this "**** team, trys hard", "punching above their weight" and "more then the sum of their parts" rubbish really really annoys me.
What's your point? We're Brazil? :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
27/03/2004, 8:35 PM
What's your point? We're Brazil? :rolleyes:

yeah because that's nearly word for word what i said...

Gary
27/03/2004, 10:57 PM
Can no one actually have a chat about Mick McCarthy on his own merits without bring in Roy Keane to it.

Its boring and the thread is closed.