PDA

View Full Version : vs Pats

DmanDmythDledge
01/11/2007, 9:16 PM
Last home game of the season, and last ever game in Belfield Park.

Bermingham is away with the U-21s so presumably Gallagher will start, although Kenna at LB and McMillan in the team is also an option.

Not expecting a great game for some reason- nothing to do with it being UCD-Pats- just doesn't seem to be any excitement that there's a game tomorrow. Will be tough for us- Pats could put a few past us if we're not careful. Can't see us getting the win so I'm going to put money on Pats.

CollegeTillIDie
02/11/2007, 7:36 AM
Daniel McDonnell, when he was on Off The Ball last night, predicted it will be a draw. We need a point I reckon at least to be safe.

Angus
02/11/2007, 7:49 AM
Last home game of the season, and last ever game in Belfield Park.

Hold your horses - the relegation playoff is a 2 legged affair if I recall correctly

CollegeTillIDie
03/11/2007, 7:31 AM
Angus

I fear you could be right. UCD have now failed to score in FIVE GAMES :(

DmanDmythDledge
03/11/2007, 11:49 PM
eX31QgBmLAU

Poor Student
04/11/2007, 7:43 AM
I don't think we played bad enough to deserve to be defeated 3-0. Story of our season really. There just seems to be nothing going on up front. Sammon is our link up player and he's also the lone striker. He often pulls off wide to the edge of the box to hold up the ball and lay it in centre but the midfield runners aren't making the runs to make it work and he has no strike partner to lay it to. Paul Byrne made a strong difference when he came on. Oh well, onwards to next week. Hopefully it will work out one way or another.

Dodge
04/11/2007, 10:05 AM
I don't think we played bad enough to deserve to be defeated 3-0

You played OK in the first half nd had a couple of half chances (one good one) but in the second half I think we stepped it up a little and tbh I thought you were awful at the back. We seemed to create a half decent chance everytime we went forward. I think I always associate with UCD teams is great organisation but you were a shambles at the back.

Poor Student
04/11/2007, 10:31 AM
Part of it was to do with injuries. We had Conor Kenna (a right footed centre half) at left back and Brian Shorthall (a backup centre half) partnering Alan McNally. I think by the time of the second half we were getting caught out trying to chase a deficit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should have won but I think such a heavy defeat was a harsh result to end up while putting in a not to shabby performance.

pineapple stu
04/11/2007, 3:51 PM
I thought you were awful at the back...I always associate with UCD teams is great organisation but you were a shambles at the back.
That's exactly what it was. Usually when we lost 3-0, it's because we've had someone sent off and/or our midfield is overrun, and we end up defending for 90 minutes and creating nothing, but this was a relatively even game for lots of it, but we just gifted you chances, and sat back to watch you take them. Very annoying.

pineapple stu
04/11/2007, 4:27 PM
Belfield Park went with a whimper on Friday evening as St Pat's coasted to a 3-0 win to leave UCD facing a final day showdown in Galway to confirm Premier Division survival, when safety should have been confirmed weeks ago.

With Ian Bermingham on international duty, Brian Shortall came into centre back, pushing Conor Kenna to left back, with Brian King forming a rather uneven left side of the team.

In an explosive start, UCD should have been 1-0 up after 40 seconds, but instead were 1-0 down after 80. A ball forward saw a Pat's defender slip when controlling the ball, which came out to Conan Byrne, but he misplaced what appeared simple through ball to set Conor Sammon and Pat McWalter through on goal. From that misplaced pass, Pat's took possession, overlapped on the left wing and sent in a cross which Gary O'Neill had no trouble heading in from six yards.

UCD had a real let off on 22 minutes when O'Neill was dragged down on the by line when going past Alan McNally, but the referee turned a blind eye to what appeared a blatant penalty call. And a minute later, the linesman came to UCD's rescue with a narrow offside call to prevent another certain goal.

However, it wasn't all one way traffic, and Conor Sammon had a good chance on 26, but his volley was way off target when well placed. And Pat's keeper Brendan Clarke had to be at his best when saving Ronan Finn's low drive with hie feet at his near post. And five minutes before half time came the home side's best chance when Finn sent Pat McWalter through one-on-one, but he dallied to such an extent that he never got his shot off before Clarke arrived to save at feet.

At half time, with the attack playing well but the defence asleep, the feeling was that a goal for UCD was coming, but with it the possibility that Pat's could have two more by the time it arrived.

Pat's extended their lead ten minutes into the second half. A powerful shot was headed away for a corner, but this only served to delay the inevitable, as Stephen Paisley stooped to head home with the UCD defence uncharaceristally all at bay.

The Students' heads dropped visibly after this, and although they continued to create chances, they allowed Pat's have far more. Tony McDonnell - moved back to central defence after the departure through injury of Shortall - allowed a speculative ball to bounce, only for Ndo to take the opportunity to flick marginally over the bar. On the hour, Darren Quigley pulled off a fine save from an excellent volley after a deep cross.

Still, UCD continued to press, and Tony McDonnell's flick sent Paul Crowley down the left; his low cross was excellently tipped out by Clarke with Conor Sammon lurking to tuck home into an empty net. Paul Byrne nearly scored a sensational effort shortly after coming on as a sub when running onto his own won header to unleash a shot from 30 yards which Clarke grabbed at the second attempt. And a few minutes later again, a scramble in the Pat's penalty area saw the ball come out to Conor Kenna, but his shot, on his weaker right foot, lacked the power needed to beat the keeper.

However, the defence was still the weak point, and the points were sealed with ten minutes to go when Mark Quigley was given the freedom of the ground to take a pass on the edge of the penalty area and slot past his namesake in the UCD goal.

Ultimately, though, another disappointing performance, with many of the players looking as if they ended their season a few weeks ago. While the odds on survival are still stacked in UCD's favour - only two of the 27 possible combinations of results next week will see them enter the play-offs - on current form, a tie against Cobh, Dundalk or Harps is not one to be looked forward to.

UCD: D Quigley, Mahon, Kenna, Shorthall (Crowley 50), McNally, McDonnell, C Byrne, King (Byrne 65), Sammon, Finn (Doyle 77), McWalter.

Booked - Crowley

Att - 886

mcglinchey
04/11/2007, 6:19 PM
i think the only person that can come out of that game with a bit of credit is ronan finn, he played and battled well and never gave up and should not have been taken off.The team just didnt perform atall,we were a shambles at the back. shortall showed his lack of match practice. conan byrne was highly ineffective. I think he relies on his pace too much. Paul byrne should have been brought on sooner. Kenna to be fair to him did well considering he was playing out of position.McNally had an unusually bad game. we need a big performance next week lads.

Poor Student
04/11/2007, 6:25 PM
Conan was ineffective because he only had high balls played out to him and that's food and drink for Dave Rogers. He relies on his pace? His pace is average at best! He relies on his quick feet with the ball and his intelligence to get around his man.

CollegeTillIDie
05/11/2007, 3:18 PM
The final pass was awful from everyone in a UCD shirt. The crosses found The St. Pat's players 90 times out of 100 and when it did find a UCD player it was either over or under hit and possession was lost.

So what was the average attendance for the final season in Belfield Park?

pineapple stu
05/11/2007, 4:27 PM