PDA

View Full Version : FAI move to stamp out dodgy betting patterns

Pages : [1] 2

Raheny Red
01/11/2007, 5:29 PM
FAI move to stamp out dodgy betting patterns

By Daniel McDonnell
Wednesday October 31 2007

The race to replace Steve Staunton will have one guaranteed winner and that's not whoever the new gaffer may be. Instead, it's the bookmakers who will be rolling in the cash, as numerous false trails result in the placing of substantial bets on the wrong candidates.

Whether you like it or not, gambling and football are now intrinsically linked.

They always have been, in many respects, but are now more so than ever, in this era of advanced communications. In this country, recognition of that fact was formalised earlier this month, with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the FAI and leading exchange firm Betfair.

Remarkably, it is the first MoU signed with a regulatory body outside of horse racing, with the GAA previously refusing a request from Betfair to sign a similar deal.

What the new arrangement provides is a two-way flow of information, allowing the FAI to request from Betfair information on betting activity and, in return, allows Betfair to inform the FAI of information which it believes represents a threat to the integrity of the sport.

That will mean being able to provide names and addresses of those who placed bets on a fixture which prompts suspicion within football circles.

It is the 29th MoU that Betfair have signed worldwide, with the English FA another body that they have a non-commercial arrangement with.

The ramifications for the Eircom League are potentially interesting. There's as much hearsay and conjecture going around about stories of punting within the domestic game as there is about Stephen Ireland's private life.

Gambling on football here has taken on an entirely different dimension with the onset of frequently televised games. A quick scan of the internet will lead you to a slightly unusual website where punters from Asia debate the idiosyncrasies of League of Ireland clubs.

Increase

"Irish football is trading very well for us now," says Eoin Ryan of Betfair. "With the live televised games on Setanta sometimes being shown in the UK, then the money being staked on some games has increased significantly."

The facts bear that out. For example, the Setanta Cup clash between St Patrick's Athletic and Drogheda United in May saw €1.3m traded on the outcome. When you consider that some clubs in the league do not even have an annual turnover near that amount then it is a staggering figure.

And that is why there is an increased need to add integrity to the changing climate. There have been no games thus far that have merited any investigation, although earlier this year bookmakers were stung by an avalanche of bets on Shamrock Rovers to beat what was essentially an U-21 Drogheda side in the League Cup.

However, there has been concern expressed at the temptation available to players in the lower rungs of the league in a climate where single betting is an option on every game in the Premier Division and First. Previously, betting on domestic football was restricted to trebles and accumulators, thus removing the possibility of individual clashes being manipulated.

"I would be opposed to single betting being available on every game," says Stephen McGuinness of the PFAI. "Particularly in the First Division where you have some amateur players and other guys on just €50 or €100 a week.
"It puts them in a situation where there is more money to be earned from betting on the outcome of a game," he adds.

"Certainly, we would not encourage any of our members to bet on games where they are involved and we would remove anyone from our union if they were found to be guilty of anything suspicious in that regard."

They haven't had reason to as yet, and hope that will remain the case.

Yet the growing nature of the gambling industry in tandem with the betting culture which exists within football mean that the issue is always likely to be bubbling under the surface.

For the FAI, the signing of an MoU represents progress and closes one potential avenue for ill-behaviour. But it still can't stop an unknown player strolling into his local bookies and putting his money down, or giving it to a friend to do the same. It's the same the world over.

There are numerous anecdotes that point to an inevitable conclusion. Regulation on insider trading within football is welcome.

Gaining complete control, on the other hand, will be absolutely impossible.

- Daniel McDonnell

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-move-to-stamp--out-dodgy-betting-patterns-1208561.html

The Rebel Ram
01/11/2007, 5:37 PM
Douglas Hall players made a nice killing at the bookies this year when they got 7-1 odds on beating Ramblers in the cup, which they did.
They still have to go out and produce the goods though.
Gonna be hard to track though, very easy for a third party to place the bet for them...........

pineapple stu
01/11/2007, 5:37 PM
No problems betting on yourself to win.

jebus
01/11/2007, 6:44 PM
Last season I was doing a few bets and an Asian guy in front of me in the queue put what looked like a very large sum of money (quite a few 50s) on Spurs to beat West Ham 4-3 at whatever high odds he got. Low and behold Spurs won 4-3. Opened my eyes to what might be going on in the beautiful game I can tell you :(

el punter
01/11/2007, 10:47 PM
An endorsement of Betfair from the FAI, a fine marketing move on behalf of the betting exchange as it makes them look more legitimate than most to the public seeing as they are now endorsed by the official body.

It's a non story, nothing more than a self lauding press release really.

CollegeTillIDie
02/11/2007, 6:40 AM
Does anyone know if the FAI are in a position to benefit from the amount of betting taking place on the Eircom League of Ireland overseas?
I am thinking in terms of licencing fees for use of fixtures that sort of thing. If the gambling was pools related I know the pools company have to pay for the use of fixtures. I have spent a lot of time in the Czech Republic in recent years and they have ads for bookies , in the local papers, and I have seen Eircom League Premier Division fixtures featured in Czech bookies advertisements. I believe our games are bet on in other neighbouring countries into the bargain. This is a potential source of revenue , if as I asked earlier, there is a licence fee required for use of fixtures as is the case with pools.

In addition there could be money from the English Red Tops advertisers if we could get our fixtures featured during the summer , instead of Australian soccer , in the papers.

el punter
02/11/2007, 7:44 AM
Every betting office including Irish ones has to pay a licence for publishing the English and Scottish football league fixtures.

For some reason neither the FAI, GAA, nor GPA to the best of my knowledge have not persued this as a form of revenue.

Reaching a 'Memorandum of Understanding' with regard to that would be of benefit to Irish football.

Dotsy
02/11/2007, 8:31 AM
We found a bookies in Bratislava that was taking bets on the Eircom league.

JC_GUFC
02/11/2007, 10:27 AM
Did you find one that would pay out if you won?! ;)

Jerry The Saint
02/11/2007, 10:38 AM
What the new arrangement provides is a two-way flow of information

allowing the FAI to request from Betfair information on betting activity

Betfair -> FAI

and, in return, allows Betfair to inform the FAI of information which it believes represents a threat to the integrity of the sport.

Betfair -> FAI

Two-way:confused:

As was said, the FAI proivdes betfair with some nice publicity. My advice is to stick to Paddy Power (http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=cmp&cid=81&AFF_ID=311).

jebus
02/11/2007, 10:39 AM

Christ can you imagine if they were relying on Aertel to clarify the scores?

"Congratulations Sir, the five match accumulator results have just come in, you've just won 20,000euro"

"Woohoo!"

"Sorry Sir, there has been a correction, you know owe us both your thumbs"

"Damn"

btid1
02/11/2007, 10:43 AM

"Congratulations Sir, the five match accumulator results have just come in, you've just won 20,000euro"

"Woohoo!"

"Sorry Sir, there has been a correction, you know owe us both your thumbs"

"Damn"

Quality:D

osarusan
02/11/2007, 10:45 AM

Think of the odds you'd get on Limerick to score 37 goals.

el punter
02/11/2007, 10:49 AM
It's pi$$ poor from the Irish Independent also (no surprise of course).

The headline suggests that there ARE dodgy betting patterns in existence which require stamping out. I am not aware this is the case, nor have I ever heard anyone claim it is. There's nothing in the article citing a dodgy betting pattern. It only refers to some bookies who were asleep when everyone who watches the league knew that Drogs were going to field an understrength side.

The FAI could sue the Indo, there's a source of revenue for ya ;)

Dodge
02/11/2007, 11:26 AM
The FAI could sue the Indo, there's a source of revenue for ya ;)

Why would it sue the paper it has most in its back pocket? Gerry McDermott is a two faced ****

bholg
02/11/2007, 11:31 AM
I wonder will any FAI staff be logging on to betfair during the run in to the eventual new international manager selection....

thats some dodgy betting

Raheny Red
02/11/2007, 11:32 AM

That actually got me thinking the other day, with bookies who enter football bets manually. Aertel put up an incorrect score for a game, but which is a winner on their docket. Head down to the bookies first thing in the morning and tell the assistants that the result can be found on the Aertel text. They get paid out then change the score when back at the office :p very far fetched I know but Aertel if your reading this PM me :D

Scram
02/11/2007, 2:18 PM
Last season I was doing a few bets and an Asian guy in front of me in the queue put what looked like a very large sum of money (quite a few 50s) on Spurs to beat West Ham 4-3 at whatever high odds he got. Low and behold Spurs won 4-3. Opened my eyes to what might be going on in the beautiful game I can tell you :(

Did he have a disability?........if so he must have backed them with the Asian Handicap.

:p

Larry 'da' Wyse
02/11/2007, 2:29 PM
I've spotted a few Asian lads in Dalymount from time to time on the blower giving a running commentary on the game for the full 90mins. I presume it is for some 'in running' website.

GuisaSaigon
18/11/2007, 2:02 PM
Piece in today's Sunday Mirror claiming there is evidence of irregular betting patterns across the country for the recent game between Bray Wanderers and Sligo Rovers. They claim the bookies were taken for €100,000. Paddy Power apparently suspended betting on the game 1 hour before kick off.
The report doesn't seem to imply that any match fixing took place but says it was likely to have been the work of an organised syndacate.

jamie m
18/11/2007, 2:14 PM
at one stage think we were at 8-1 to win, can only assume that word leaked out that cook was fielding an inexperienced team,

bholg
18/11/2007, 2:37 PM
It was a thread here a bit back. 'beat the bookies', sligoman kindly informed us of a likely 'fringe' sligo team.

cheers for that.

osarusan
18/11/2007, 2:56 PM
It was a thread here a bit back. 'beat the bookies', sligoman kindly informed us of a likely 'fringe' sligo team.

cheers for that.
"cheers for that" were the last words of a Mr. Bholg before he boarded his private jet which took him to his new home in Monaco. The source of Mr. Bholg's newfound wealth is still uncertain.

"He just hasn't been the same since he went to Paddy Power a few days ago" a source added.

sligoman
18/11/2007, 4:23 PM
A soccer match involving Sligo Rovers and Bray Wanderers saw bookmakers losing thousands of euros.

Bookmakers across the country paid out close to one hundred-thousand euro on the game that was played in the Carlyle ground in Bray last week.

According to reports thousands of euro was placed on Bray Wanderers to win while very little was placed on a Sligo Rovers victory.

Bookmaker, Paddy Power said 'their was highly unusual betting on this game and the most we would usually pay out on an Eircom League game would be €10,000 euro, but this was certainly much more than that'.

According to Bookmakers there was so much money placed on Bray, betting was suspended an hour before kick off.

The Sligo Rovers - Bray Wanderers game saw the most money bet during any game this season in the Eircom League.

Sligo Rovers Chairman, Michael Toolan says the board of the club will meet to discuss the issue.

http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/sligoleitrimnews.php?articleid=000002206

neutrino
18/11/2007, 4:29 PM
Sligo Rovers Chairman, Michael Toolan says the board of the club will meet to discuss the issue.

dont see what Toolan has to discuss.Much more important things should be on his might than this sort of stuff.So what if the bookies took a bashing.Only moan when they get taken for a few quid.This happens in plenty of leagues on the last day of the season.

SligoBrewer
18/11/2007, 4:30 PM

There's a million and one other things he should be discussing /doing

muppet

Poor Student
18/11/2007, 4:31 PM
It was a stupid article that made no real point in the end despite having a scandal suggesting front page headline. To sum it up, Bray needing a win played a weak Sligo team, people knew, people put down lots of cash, odds were shortened, people kept betting, people won lots of money.

Sheridan
18/11/2007, 4:37 PM
€100k, you say? It'll be a cold Christmas in the Power household this year. :rolleyes:

GuisaSaigon
18/11/2007, 4:51 PM
It was a stupid article that made no real point in the end despite having a scandal suggesting front page headline. To sum it up, Bray needing a win played a weak Sligo team, people knew, people put down lots of cash, odds were shortened, people kept betting, people won lots of money.

Thought the same myself, more or less, the sensational front page headline made me buy the rag out of curiosity, but they were smart enough not to imply that anything illegal happened. Paddy Power's "any type of publicity" attitude might bite him in arse if he isn't careful.

Stevo Da Gull
18/11/2007, 5:07 PM

Exactly, can't believe this actually got a page in the paper. Paddy Power were a bit thick with their odds at the beginning as well.

el punter
18/11/2007, 7:23 PM
I find it VERY VERY hard to believe that Paddy Powers would let themselves get in to a position to lose 100k on a League of Ireland game on the last day of the season.

There's plenty of lads on the site here who know how difficult it can be to get a decent sized bet on LOI games accepted by a bookmaker.

I don't doubt Powers took a pasting on the game, but they are spinning the figures using their time honoured marketing technique known as "The Bigger The Payout The Bigger The Publicity"

Sam_Heggy
18/11/2007, 7:23 PM
€100k, you say? It'll be a cold Christmas in the Power household this year. :rolleyes:

Poor little Timmy Power will have to make do with just a plain old 5 course meal and no cranberry sauce for the turkey. Disgraceful, Sligo, utterly disgraceful. For shame.

gustavo
18/11/2007, 7:59 PM
If ever a man had a face that deserved financial ruin it would be this man
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40773000/jpg/_40773456_paddy1203.jpg

bholg
18/11/2007, 8:25 PM
"cheers for that" were the last words of a Mr. Bholg before he boarded his private jet which took him to his new home in Monaco. The source of Mr. Bholg's newfound wealth is still uncertain.

"He just hasn't been the same since he went to Paddy Power a few days ago" a source added.

now that i check, i had an accumulator and foolishly thought shels would beat wexford at home (that result a bit stinky now that i think of it)

Nay..I think I'll christmas in dundalk this year, the beaches are nice and quiet

JC_GUFC
18/11/2007, 9:17 PM
Sure Paddy Power are hiring any kind of clown these days...

Also I think the betting pattern would have been highly regular in this match, in so far as everyone backed one side!

Blue-Army
18/11/2007, 9:42 PM
If ever a man had a face that deserved financial ruin it would be this man
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40773000/jpg/_40773456_paddy1203.jpg
:D:D:D

feo123
18/11/2007, 9:46 PM
theres nothing to it. he's just annoyed and embarrased by the amount of money he lost!

kdjaC
18/11/2007, 10:15 PM
dont see what Toolan has to discuss.

"right eddie you have 100k to spend on players for next season"

?

kdjac

feo123
18/11/2007, 10:16 PM
"right eddie you have 100k to spend on players for next season"

?

kdjac

whos eddie?

cheifo
18/11/2007, 10:33 PM
Still it would be facinating to hear the inside track on what occured.How many people bet?How many shops were hit for a lot of money.Who was doing the betting and are they in anyway close to valuable sources?I am not suggesting anything untoward.Sligo planned on giving the youngsters a run out and Paddy got caught with his pants down.Suprised that their computer system did not flag things earlir(I thought procedure in these cases was to try to lay off the bet).Could be that some shop managers got a severe bollocking.Wonder will it affect the way they handle EL betting in future.

rebelarmyexile
18/11/2007, 11:31 PM
Piece in today's Sunday Mirror claiming there is evidence of irregular betting patterns across the country for the recent game between Bray Wanderers and Sligo Rovers. They claim the bookies were taken for €100,000. Paddy Power apparently suspended betting on the game 1 hour before kick off.
The report doesn't seem to imply that any match fixing took place but says it was likely to have been the work of an organised syndacate.

We should have a "Beat the Bookies" thread more often.

Dr.Nightdub
18/11/2007, 11:38 PM
We should have more effective communication when a club is planning on fielding an understrength team.

DRDoc
19/11/2007, 12:24 AM
it was likely to have been the work of an organised syndacate.

They dont really exist do they :eek: hehe

I have it from a close source that powers did not suffer a loss any way near that large

Same source confirmed that the very large percentage of bets backing Bray were placed online from locations outside of the country

Powers actually had a greater number of bets placed on Sligo - again mostly online, mostly inside the country - those placed in shops showed a normal/average distribution across their branch network

(thats a bell shaped distribution for the stats guys out there!)

el punter
19/11/2007, 7:51 AM
I wonder if the FAI will have their suspicions piqued enough to have a chat with Betfair regarding their loftily titled 'Memorandum of Understanding' which was signed in recent weeks.

More about it on this thread here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=75197)

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2007, 8:28 AM
My grandfather was once asked why he didn't gamble and or drink alcohol back in the 1950's. His reply '' When I see a bookmaker or publican in shabby clothes and poverty stricken, I'll take them up to help him out. Until then he doesn't need the business!'' :D

MyTown
19/11/2007, 9:35 AM
Presumably Longford, UCD & Waterford have been silent on this because they would have done exactly the same as Paul Cook in the same circumstances.

No sympathy for the bookies.

But is everyone accepting that it was fair play on Sligo's part?

As for the Sligo board meeting to discuss it.......unless it's to have a collective read of the Thank You card from Eddie Gormley & Co, I don't know what it's about.:confused:

Mr A
19/11/2007, 9:39 AM
But is everyone accepting that it was fair play on Sligo's part?

As for the Sligo board meeting to discuss it.......unless it's to have a collective read of the Thank You card from Eddie Gormley & Co, I don't know what it's about.

Unless of course people were betting on a Bray victory that shouldn't have been.

gustavo
19/11/2007, 9:52 AM
whos eddie?
A much missed Irish pop combo from the mid 90s.

showgies
19/11/2007, 10:14 AM
A much missed Irish pop combo from the mid 90s.

:D:D:D:

Macy
19/11/2007, 10:14 AM
Presumably Longford, UCD & Waterford have been silent on this because they would have done exactly the same as Paul Cook in the same circumstances.

Nothing to do with us, we couldn't have caught Bray. We were more fooked up by Drogs fielding a weakened team against Waterford.