PDA

View Full Version : Codes / passwords

Angus
31/10/2007, 10:45 AM
Anybody ever consider how our lives have changed with the preponderence of codes and passwords we need ?

On an average day I:

1) wake up and turn off the house alarm
2) turn on the mobile phone
3/4) turn on the blackberry (pin and password)
5-10) log on to PC in work, log into notes, internet and assorted other codes)
11 - 20) various codes and authorisations required for myriad of (mainly work related) websites
21) take cash out of bank
22) pay for something by laser
23) pay for something by credit card
24) enter satellite code on tv before 9.00pm
25) turn on house alarm

....and all of this is before I travel any place with codes and passwords up the wazoo - how do we keep track ?????

Dodge
31/10/2007, 11:08 AM
how do we keep track ?????

I know security folks tell me I shouldn't but practically all my passwords are all a variation on one (five letter) word with numbers after it

I also change all banks/credit cards to same number

Others to add to your list are codes for voicemail in work and access codes for certain rooms/buildings

paul_oshea
31/10/2007, 11:21 AM
ON that, does anyone ever go to the cash machine ( maybe once every 3 years ) and the number just goes completely from your head and you cannot remember it ( and sometimes never will ), it has happend me on 3 occassions and I think at least 2 were after or during the intake of alcohol either that night or the next day.

John83
31/10/2007, 11:28 AM
...how do we keep track ?????
I have all of those codes memorised. Unimportant passwords - for website forums I rarely use, that kind of thing, are backed up in a secure place.

If you struggle to remember things like this, there are various memorisation techniques, mainly revolving around visualisation and mnemonics.

anto1208
31/10/2007, 11:46 AM
I often find i memorise the pattern and not the number so if i get a pass machine with the numbers upside down 123 being the top line i have to take a minute to work out the number in my head .

I was changing my phone recently and had gotten into the habbit of entering the pin by pattern and when the girl in the shop asked me my pin i didnt have a clue.

MyTown
31/10/2007, 11:48 AM
practically all my passwords are all a variation on one (five letter) word with numbers after it

I also change all banks/credit cards to same number

Right, time to begin my fledgling career as a hacker D-O-D-G-E-1-2-3:D

pete
31/10/2007, 4:04 PM
I don't mind words as codes as easy to remember but I hate 4 & 5 digit codes as I have too many of them as use them in my job. Can be pain when using codes at work & then comes to remember the security codes :(

Jerry The Saint
31/10/2007, 4:49 PM
Right, time to begin my fledgling career as a hacker D-O-D-G-E-1-2-3:D

That's way too obvious, I'm going to say D-0-D-G-3-1-9-2-9.

Check out my 1337 h4xor 5k1lz LOLZ!!!1111!oneoneone! :D

paul_oshea
01/11/2007, 9:01 AM
That's way too obvious, I'm going to say D-0-D-G-3-1-9-2-9.

Check out my 1337 h4xor 5k1lz LOLZ!!!1111!oneoneone! :D

Jerry, I think I know that....

No when was Dodge born, and the last 5 digits of his home telephone number ( parents one ) would be a good start. SO it would start with <dodge>1977 or the month and day such like <dodge>1103 or <dodge>06616 etc

I think after about 10 or so goes we would get it :D

Interesting to note how quiet he is? wonder is he getting worried :D

Dodge
01/11/2007, 9:04 AM
That's way too obvious, I'm going to say D-0-D-G-3-1-9-2-9

Spot on.

Bluebeard
01/11/2007, 9:30 AM
God be witht he day that if you picked a bank card out any given wallet in a pub in Ireland, you be almost guaranteed that the code was either 1916 or 0000.

Sadly that is all changed now, and I have since fallen on hard times.

Pauro 76
04/11/2007, 2:56 PM
Tried online banking recently. The 10 digit one is a killer. Especially when you ring up the bank if you cant remembmer it, dont have the password at the time, and they ask you what the third digit is, then the 5th. Arrgghh.

onceahoop
04/11/2007, 9:00 PM
Try to keep the same password for all internet sign ins. My biggest problem is remembering my online banking sign in number when I haven't used it for a while. In work the cyber police have decided on a new format for passwords with regular changing of same. Think I'll just use a variation of the same one for as long as I can. They're also sending to managers, lists of staffs internet usage. Have they nothing better to do :rolleyes: